NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall

+3
'Wolfie
eddie
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall Empty For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall

Post by Guest Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Want to make a whiskey writer squirm? Ask him or her to name their favorite whiskey. About once a week, I’m hit with that terribly difficult question. It’s so tough to answer, since every few months there’s a whole new batch of amazing whiskies that are introduced. Fall is no exception with an especially delicious batch of bottlings hitting shelves now or over the next few weeks. Here are five to look out for.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon ($80)

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 170823-rothbaum-whiskey-embed3_dj1urx

COURTESY OLD FORESTER

Old Forester was started by George Garvin Brown and to honor his birthday, September 2, the company annually bottles what it calls Birthday Bourbon. While the whiskey is always special, this year the company is releasing two versions of a 12-year-old straight bourbon, one is 96 proof and the other one is 95.4 proof. The difference in alcohol level was supposedly created by vapor loss during the bottling process. No doubt bars and whiskey aficionados will try to collect both expressions.

Parker’s Heritage Limited Edition Bottling ($130)

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 170823-rothbaum-whiskey-embed1_cg3xf3

COURTESY HEAVEN HILL

This past January legendary master distiller Parker Beam passed away after battling ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) for more than four years. It’s still hard for me to believe that I won’t get to taste with him again or run into him at whisky festivals. But Parker’s legacy continues on with the 11th release of the Parker Heritage Collection. The whiskies in the series have become quite sought after and are snapped up by collectors. This year’s 11-year-old single barrel bourbon will be no exception. It’s made from whiskey aging in Parker’s favorite warehouse and will go on sale in the next few weeks. And, most importantly, for every bottle sold, $10 will be given to the ALS Association.

Little Book “The Easy” ($80)

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 170823-rothbaum-whiskey-embed5_m4vl5d

COURTESY LITTLE BOOK

When your Jim Beam’s descendent and Booker Noe’s grandson, there’s a good chance you’ll be involved in the whiskey business. So, it’s no great surprise that Freddie Noe has introduced his first whiskey line, Little Book. (That’s the name his grandfather called him and given the circumstances a perfect fit for the liquor.) Every year Freddie will create a special limited-edition blended whiskey. The first one, The Easy, is an interesting and potent blend of corn whiskey, single malt, rye and bourbon. He was given the freedom to pull special barrels from Beam’s different warehouses and the result is a harmonious mix that still showcases the key attributes of the ingredients.

Westward American Single Malt Whiskey ($90)

The latest release from Portland’s venerable House Spirits is Westward American Single Malt. (It should be on store shelves starting September 1.) The whiskey is made completely from Northwest two-row pale malted barley and is distilled twice before aging in new American oak barrels. It just might be the liquor that Scotch and bourbon lovers can drink and appreciate together.
Redemption Wheated Bourbon ($46)

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 170823-rothbaum-whiskey-embed2_cenbis

COURTESY REDEMPTION

While most bourbon is made from corn, rye and a bit of malted barley, there are a number of brands that make a sweeter “wheated” style that combines corn, malted barley and, you guessed it, wheat. Maker’s Mark and Weller are the most famous wheated bourbons on the market today. Redemption joins the exclusive club with its new release that should be on store shelves now. The four-year-old bourbon includes an impressive 45-perecent winter wheat and has a hint of baking spice notes and a sweet finish.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-american-whiskey-youll-be-drinking-this-fall

Back to top Go down

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall Empty Re: For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 pm

She only drinks the finest Texan whishkey!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall Empty Re: For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall

Post by Guest Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:She only drinks the finest Texan whishkey!

Years ago, I used to love the odd single malt Jack Daniels. It was more expensive, but i admit better than any English or Scottish Whiskey.

Now of all the drinks I miss since not drinking is Baileys. Its simple the best... Laughing

Have a good one Ben

Adios

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:10 am

She does! She drinks copious amounts of it too.

Ain't nothing like this whiskey though I love you

Ps Didge - great thread mate! They all look mighty fine to me cheers

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:24 am

Thorin wrote:

Years ago, I used to love the odd single malt Jack Daniels. It was more expensive, but i admit better than any English or Scottish Whiskey.

Now of all the drinks I miss since not drinking is Baileys. Its simple the best... Laughing

Have a good one Ben

Adios

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 2097912929

I don't consider Jack or Jim to be better or worse than Scotch or Irish Whiskey...

Just different..

The Jap's and the Kiwis do their own takes on whiskies, too.       drunken
(As for the bourbons in the O/P, they're a bit too priceey for my pocket..).
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:29 am

Japanese whiskey, huh? Sounds intriguing. I get the feeling that it will either be really nice or absolutely dire.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 pm

eddie wrote:Japanese whiskey, huh?  Sounds intriguing. I get the feeling that it will either be really nice or absolutely dire.

The Japanese make some great scotches and vodkas.  They haven't quite got American whiskeys down yet.

But when you go outside the origin country, you don't carry the subtleties, but rather you create your own.  Speyside whiskies are much different from Island whiskies, if only from the ingredients.  Russian vodka cannot match Polish vodka, and in Flanders they make a damn good vodka.

The reason why the world lags behind in American whiskies is they don't know anything about corn anyhow, so they certainly don't know how to ferment corn whilkey.  BTW, Texas whiskey?  American whiskey is only from the Blue Ridge Mountains, where the Scots settled.  Only the Scots can make real whiskey...wherever they go.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 630750432

A couple of more spirits in a class of their own :

'Bundaberg Rum' from Australia;

'42 Below' Vodka from NZ,  spiced up with Kiwi fruit !
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 am

eddie wrote:Japanese whiskey, huh?  Sounds intriguing. I get the feeling that it will either be really nice or absolutely dire.

it is Artistry
they take it to the extreme level of refinement.
https://whisky.suntory.com/
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Wow, I never knew Japan took whiskey-making so seriously!

I have to say though that after the last week or so, I drank enough whiskey to pickle my insides.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:32 pm

eddie wrote:

She does! She drinks copious amounts of it too.

Ain't nothing like this whiskey though  I love you

Ps Didge - great thread mate! They all look mighty fine to me  cheers

i love this song eddie - that guitar intro reminded me of a group i used to listen to years ago

all i can think of is the eagles but i know it's not them i'm trying to think of

can you help

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:44 pm

That intro was driving me mad too....OH said its very similar to this one, not sure if its the one I was thinking of, but the guirar riff is the same only slower

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Syl wrote:That intro was driving me mad too....OH said its very similar to this one, not sure if its the one I was thinking of, but the guirar riff is the same only slower

that is so weird cos this one came into my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sq3ME0JHQ

but i still cant remember the group i'm trying to think of

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:10 pm

They are very similar.
You mentioned the Eagles before...currently their CD is on my car player ALL the time...that old track 'Desperado'....I love it so much. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

The two guitar intros are very similar. I like the Etta James' one - I'd completely forgotten about it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 am

eddie wrote:Wow, I never knew Japan took whiskey-making so seriously!

I have to say though that after the last week or so, I drank enough whiskey to pickle my insides.

One of the root alcoholic blood-lines goes back to the Mongols, who spawned the Japanese in a migration down the Korean peninsula and across the Sea of Japan. They also spawned the Native Americans (Indians) across the Bering land bridge. Both the Japanese and the Native Americans are notorious alcoholic blood-lines.

Notorious alcoholics make good whiskies. Just look at the Scots, who are Dál Riada Irish. Celtics and Slavs are also notorious alcoholic blood-lines.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:42 am

Awww eds, you needed to be in NYC with me last week. Mr. C and I found this historic Tavern, where George Washington once ate, and it had the most amazing Whisky bar according to Mr. C. The menu was like 15 pages long. I don't know how the whisky was since I can't stand the stuff, but Mr. C seemed to enjoy a lot of them. I just went to drink wine and eat Oysters!

Didge check out the history on the Fraunces Tavern.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:52 am

Cass wrote:Awww eds, you needed to be in NYC with me last week. Mr. C and I found this historic Tavern, where George Washington once ate, and it had the most amazing Whisky bar according to Mr. C. The menu was like 15 pages long. I don't know how the whisky was since I can't stand the stuff, but Mr. C seemed to enjoy a lot of them. I just went to drink wine and eat Oysters!

Just had a quick peep online and see its full of history

Thanks for the heads up, will look into further.   Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:00 am

Thorin wrote:
Cass wrote:Awww eds, you needed to be in NYC with me last week. Mr. C and I found this historic Tavern, where George Washington once ate, and it had the most amazing Whisky bar according to Mr. C. The menu was like 15 pages long. I don't know how the whisky was since I can't stand the stuff, but Mr. C seemed to enjoy a lot of them. I just went to drink wine and eat Oysters!

It was really neat. I had honestly forgotten a lot of the post-revolution New York history, so coming across that was great. Also the house where he lived as President (alas a big building now) and Trinity Church where Alexander Hamilton is buried, as well as his wife and his son ( who also died in a duel). Previously we did Gettysburg, Brandywyne and Valley Forge so I was trés happy.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 am

Cass wrote:
Thorin wrote:

It was really neat. I had honestly forgotten a lot of the post-revolution New York history, so coming across that was great. Also the house where he lived as President (alas a big building now) and Trinity Church where Alexander Hamilton is buried, as well as his wife and his son ( who also died in a duel). Previously we did Gettysburg, Brandywyne and Valley Forge so I was trés happy.

I bet you were and I am very envious...
You really get around seeing so much history.
So what is next on the adventures of Lady Cass to see historically?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:16 am

Thorin wrote:
Cass wrote:

Good question... Mr.C doesn't have a lot of holiday time left (the Americans really suck at this), but next year is a big milestone birthday for us both so need to get planning and saving. I'm thinking Hawaii, Canada (near New York border) or Belize/Panama.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 am

Cass wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Good question... Mr.C doesn't have a lot of holiday time left (the Americans really suck at this), but next year is a big milestone birthday for us both so need to get planning and saving. I'm thinking Hawaii, Canada (near New York border) or Belize/Panama.

I would love to go to Hawaii, its somewhere I have never been.
My parents married and met in Canada and my eldest sibling was born there. Sadly my mother did not like the climate, otherwise I guess I might well have been born Canadian. Have loads of relatives in Canada, love the place.

So much to see through Central American and went through there years ago. Plenty of Mayan ruins to see in Belize. So hope you get to go to all these places next year.

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:38 am

Cheers hon. Highly doubtful about them all. We will try and sneak in a quick trip back to Glasgow again if we can get the cheap fares like we did this year ($360 round trip out of Vegas direct to Glasgow!!!) as the outlaws are getting older and more frail. Plus I will need to stock up on Quavers and Crumpets and Plain Bread and eat a year's worth of bacon and square sausages in 4 days. It's tough but I can do it Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers

Yes exactly the Mayan ruins are what I want to see. Peru is also on bucket list as us Brazil. Plus we're thinking of going to live there in about 6 years when we can take early retirement. Consistently on the top 10 places to do so.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:47 am

Cass wrote:Cheers hon. Highly doubtful about them all. We will try and sneak in a quick trip back to Glasgow again if we can get the cheap fares like we did this year ($360 round trip out of Vegas direct to Glasgow!!!) as the outlaws are getting older and more frail. Plus I will need to stock up on Quavers and Crumpets and Plain Bread and eat a year's worth of bacon and square sausages in 4 days. It's tough but I can do it Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers

Yes exactly the Mayan ruins are what I want to see. Peru is also on bucket list as us Brazil. Plus we're thinking of going to live there in about 6 years when we can take early retirement. Consistently on the top 10 places to do so.

I love Brazil, is where one of my best friends now lives. You really have things planned out for the future. Granted nothing is set in stone, but its lovely how you want to travel so much and see so much. I used to travel all the time in my youth and really miss it. So much to see in South America. Especially all the countless ruins to see.

I suppose you will both be sitting back lounging on Copacabana beach in the future when you both retire.

For Eddie - The American Whiskey You’ll Be Drinking this Fall 3201073460

Be sure to let me know your finalized plans next year and to let me know about your adventures there when you get back.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down