NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School Holidays

+3
Syl
Cass
magica
7 posters

Go down

School Holidays Empty School Holidays

Post by magica Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 pm

In a shop today, the lady on the til said only two weeks into the hols and mums are fed up with the kids already.

I loved mine home, and many things are free, so it gives the mums something to do with them. Also why have kids if you can't bother doing anything during the hols. Yes six weeks is a long time, but I'm sure many mums and dads do lots with their kids to stop them getting bored.

Many of the ones moaning are those who spend all day in front of the tele.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

School Holidays Empty Re: School Holidays

Post by Cass Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Ours are back as of last week.

They finish end of May and start back beginning of August. We have loads of little rural school districts here in AZ who are moving to a year round school schedule.

As a librarian we always do a summer reading program. All of our events are free although some require pre-registration due to facility size and supplies. It's always advertised way ahead of time but you still get parents showing up without having signed up who then throw temper tantrums and go online to google or social media sites and blast you. We're also used as free daycare. We're currently updating our unattended child policy. My new director wants it at 9 and under, I want it at 10, and the kicker is that they can be supervised by a "responsible" person, so it could be a 12 year old sibling. I detest denying library services to anybody, but I will tell children to leave/call their parent to come and get them and that they will be welcomed back when their behavior improves.

Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Cass wrote:Ours are back as of last week.

They finish end of May and start back beginning of August. We have loads of little rural school districts here in AZ who are moving to a year round school schedule.

As a librarian we always do a summer reading program. All of our events are free although some require pre-registration due to facility size and supplies. It's always advertised way ahead of time but you still get parents showing up without having signed up who then throw temper tantrums and go online to google or social media sites and blast you. We're also used as free daycare. We're currently updating our unattended child policy. My new director wants it at 9 and under, I want it at 10, and the kicker is that they can be supervised by a "responsible" person, so it could be a 12 year old sibling. I detest denying library services to anybody, but I will tell children to leave/call their parent to come and get them and that they will be welcomed back when their behavior improves.

That sounds really good Cass. There are Libraries here with group things to do for younger ones. I'm sure there are those who do it for older ones too. Also play centres if you enrol them, they do lots with children, especially if parents have to work, its ideal.

Many parents can't be bothered to enrol their child then moan at you when they can't get in.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Exactly magica. I managed fine with my 2 boys. It was hectic sometimes, especially as he was away serving, but we managed. I paid. Basically my summer salary went on camps/activities for them. It's part of the territory of being a parent.

I find most of the complainers are people who are too lazy to do the research, want to pay and usually demand it for free. They want someone else to be responsible for their kids.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:37 pm

But as to the year round school idea, I think it's great. Studies have shown that the kids retain information better.

We also have Monday-Thursday, with slightly longer days, in some school areas here which I do not think is a great idea. A child is off sick for 2-3 days and that's the week blown
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm

I loved school holidays when my son was at school...it was something to really look forwards ro.
Same with grandsons.....lots of lovely time spent doing whatever we pleased to do.

What REALLY bugged me and still does, the way shops start flogging 'Back to school' uniforms and kit even before the kids have broken up. School Holidays 2396444674
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Cass wrote:Exactly magica. I managed fine with my 2 boys. It was hectic sometimes, especially as he was away serving, but we managed. I paid. Basically my summer salary went on camps/activities for them. It's part of the territory of being a parent.

I find most of the complainers are people who are too lazy to do the research, want to pay and usually demand it for free. They want someone else to be responsible for their kids.

Yes Cass I agree, they want others to do it for them. They think its a pain to have their children home on holiday, that's why they can't wait to send them back to school. Such a shame, they could have such a lot of fun doing things with their kids instead of moaning.

Last edited by magica on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Syl wrote:I loved school holidays when my son was at school...it was something to really look forwards ro.
Same with grandsons.....lots of lovely time spent doing whatever we pleased to do.

What REALLY bugged me and still does, the way shops start flogging 'Back to school' uniforms and kit even before the kids have broken up. School Holidays 2396444674

Yes I've seen that already Syl, mind you mum's like to get it early, less to worry about in September.

I've had my grandchildren staying since the holidays began, iove it and we do lots and I enjoy the fun of being around them.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Syl wrote:I loved school holidays when my son was at school...it was something to really look forwards ro.

Never mind, it'll be Christmas soon.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:34 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

Never mind, it'll be Christmas soon.

Nnnnnoooooooooooo Sad
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Hmmmm I don't mind having my daughter at home for six weeks (nor my son when he was small) but let's not pretend it doesn't get boring, expensive, boring and if the weather is shit for ages....BORING!

Sorry, I don't get the whole "I deperately love the school holidays!" I like adult conversation and tbh if I was stuck in for six weeks with kids I'd go fucking crazy.

Perhaps you're all looking back with rose-tinted, double-thick glasses? Or perhaps the weather was better or you had bags of money?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Shops are always a few weeks or months ahead of everyone else. If they weren't, everyone would be moaning that they can't get what they need. Christmas is way too early in shops though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I heard some shop (I think it was John Lewis) has already started stocking shelves for Christmas. Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:36 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmmm I don't mind having my daughter at home for six weeks (nor my son when he was small) but let's not pretend it doesn't get boring, expensive, boring and if the weather is shit for ages....BORING!

Sorry, I don't get the whole "I deperately love the school holidays!" I like adult conversation and tbh if I was stuck in for six weeks with kids I'd go fucking crazy.

Perhaps you're all looking back with rose-tinted, double-thick glasses? Or perhaps the weather was better or you had bags of money?

No rose tinted specs...I loved it when my son broke up for the long summer holidays.
We did usually have a holiday away...but that still left 3 or 4 weeks at home, and we didn't have a lot of money.
It doesn't cost a lot to make up a picnic and go to a park....in fact its a lot cheaper than taking the kids to Mcdonalds for their lunch.

I do see that in those days kids played out a lot more ...and most kids had lots of mates in and out of the house so mum and dad wasnt forever the one to provide entertainment.....it was still a great time though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Syl wrote:I heard some shop (I think it was John Lewis) has already started stocking shelves for Christmas. Shocked

Yes, well it's August already - not long to go now.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:I heard some shop (I think it was John Lewis) has already started stocking shelves for Christmas. Shocked

Oh stop it. silent
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Oh stop it. silent  

present
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh stop it. silent  

present

The C word should be banned till Dec 1st. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:51 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmmm I don't mind having my daughter at home for six weeks (nor my son when he was small) but let's not pretend it doesn't get boring, expensive, boring and if the weather is shit for ages....BORING!

I really did enjoy the holidays and now with my grandkids.

We didn't have pots of money, but the parks, paddling pools, visiting their friends, grandparents, walking, etc cost nothing. Happy days.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

present

Humbug santa
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

present

Hear hear!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 pm

pffft christmas is banned this year....

I'm gonna expell the elves as undesirable aliens, hold santa hostage and eat reindeer burgers for christmas dinner.... Twisted Evil
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Lord Foul wrote:pffft christmas is banned this year....

I'm gonna expell the elves as undesirable aliens, hold santa hostage and eat reindeer burgers for christmas dinner.... Twisted Evil

Bloody marvelous! cheers
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down