NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lipstick Under My Burka challenges oppressive rules of Indian society

Go down

Lipstick Under My Burka challenges oppressive rules of Indian society Empty Lipstick Under My Burka challenges oppressive rules of Indian society

Post by Guest Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Delhi: The oppressive rules of Indian society that dictate what a woman wears, where she goes, who she meets and marries and what she does with her life and sexual desires, are rarely challenged by Bollywood movies.

Increasingly, though, a new generation of independent film makers are beginning to tell stories around strong, independent women. The only problem is the censor doesn't like it. A new film, Lipstick Under My Burkha directed by Alankrita Shrivastava, has finally been released after a five-month delay caused by the Central Board of Film Certification's refusal to give it a certificate. It has won critical acclaim and, on its opening on Friday, praise from film goers.

Phulkit Kattar, a 20-year-old freelance engineer, said he liked it for tackling the taboo subject of female desires, whether for careers, a husband of their choice, or sex.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/lipstick-under-my-burka-challenges-oppressive-rules-of-indian-society-20170722-gxgkbi.html

Back to top Go down