NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises

+2
ALLAKAKA
Irn Bru
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises  - Page 2 Empty Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises  - Page 2 Eric-Pickles-2870190
Fat fucking Tory  pig that stole all the fucking pies!

Communities Secretary: Eric Pickles
Getty

Britain's 10 worst-off areas will suffer the biggest council cuts – as some rich Tory authorities get budget rises, research shows.

Deprived boroughs in Liverpool, London, Manchester and Middlesbrough, will lose ten times more from the government than the ten richest.

The reason lies in funding formulas used by the Tory-led Government which hits Labour-held areas hardest.

These local authorities will have their budgets slashed by an average 16.9% during this Parliament, but Tory-controlled councils will lose just 6.6% and Lib Dem councils, 7.8%.

But Communities Secretary Eric Pickles is hitting worst-off areas harder.

Liverpool will lose 27.1% in funding from 2010-15, Hackney in London, 27%, Manchester City Council, 26%, Middlesbrough, 24% and Birmingham, 23.3%.

But Tory-run Wokingham, one of the richest areas in England, will get a 1.1% rise and Education Secretary Michael Gove’s council of Surrey Heath will receive a 0.9% increase in funding.

Other councils serving the seats of Cabinet ministers will also do well.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling’s local council Epsom and Ewell will enjoy a 3% increase, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt’s Waverley council is getting a 1.3% rise and Defence Secretary Philip Hammond’s Runnymede, 0.6%.

On average councils in the ten most deprived areas will have cuts of 25% but councils in the ten richest areas will only lose 2.5%, according to the figures compiled by Labour and Newcastle City Council.

Council leaders are already cutting libraries, road maintenance and youth clubs and will struggle to maintain vital services such as social care.

And the harsh spending cuts are being felt in cities with the most children living in poverty.

A worrying 38% of kids in Manchester live below the breadline – 33% in Liverpool. In Wokingham just 9% of children are living in poverty.

Shadow Communities Secretary Hilary Benn said: “These figures are shocking. They show the direct impact of David Cameron and Eric Pickles’s unfair policies.

"The Government claims that those with the broadest shoulders must bear the biggest burden, but they are doing the exact opposite and hitting the poorest communities hardest.”

“One Nation Labour will ensure that future funding of vital council services is done on the basis of need.”

But local Government Minister Brandon Lewis claimed: “The coalition government has delivered a fair settlement to every part of the country - north and south, rural and urban, metropolitan and shire.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/council-cuts-britains-ten-poorest-3091450#ixzz2rqW4kX4s
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

No ....Get the Tory bastards out now!

Back to top Go down

Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises  - Page 2 Empty Re: Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I am unsure as to why you should think that your chosen extract from the Institute for Fiscal Studies should be at all relevant in this context as it refers to "public spending as a share of national income"; overall "spending on public services" and "public investment spending."

Capital Grant is only a part of the government's overall public spending programme and may well have increased  during the period 1997 to 2010 as part of the entire national budget; indeed, given prevailing inflation rates it would be amazing had it not increased.

The point of discussion here, however, is how CG was apportioned between local authorities, not how much of it was paid out nationally.

And I maintain, having served as a councillor for part of the period in question, that Capital Grant to rural local authorities such as my own was reduced in real terms (I admit to having omitted to use the words "in real terms" - sorry) while they were being increased in real terms, and in some instances significantly, to  many local authorities in the Labour heartlands. The North East of England was particularly favoured, as I recall.

Incidentally, could you clarify whether that extract which you have used is an unedited and accurate quotation of the relevant IFS report, or whether it appears in that form in a Labour briefing paper.

I'm in no way doubting your word, you'll understand, but the IFS staunchly maintains that it is politically independent, yet some parts of your extract clearly indicate a  stance supportive of Labour in comparison to the Conservatives.

That extract is straight from the IFS 2010 election briefing which is available on their website.

Have you got the figures for the overall funding from central government that was made available to the region that you claim received a cut in their funding? Reliable source please.

As a matter of fact I still have access to the relevant archives, but I have "cited" as a reliable source my own considerable experience as a former councillor , and if you think that I am going to identify that council and therefore myself you have, as they say, another think coming to you.

Some of us in these forums have a wealth of personal experience and knowledge about the fairly limited range of subjects which we choose to address and have no need, even if we had either the time or the inclination, to spend hours Googling up (sometimes entirely incorrect) facts and pouring over old propaganda sheets.

And if that's not to your liking, then tough.

If that would reveal who you are then I would accept that as a legitimate reason not to provide the data. Can you select another Tory region then to support your claim......

Labour poured central grant resources into mainly Labour controlled county, borough and district authorities throughout their period in office while systematically cutting resources for rural - and primarily Tory and Lib Dem controlled - councils.

You must have picked that up from somewhere surely.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises  - Page 2 Empty Re: Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Blair, Campbell, Whelan, MacBride, MacShane, Moran, Uddin, Chayton, Moreley, Illsley, Devine............................

Oh Christ here come them badgers moving goalposts again.

Far from it; you were the one daft enough to try to score a cheap political point by throwing out an unspecified taunt about "liars, cheats and professional robbers."

I've just provided you with a few examples of real ones.

I would have thought that as someone who appears to spend most of his waking hours scrabbling around for rods with which to beat the wicked Tories, you would have been grateful.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Sassy wrote:Andy, being a tit as normal.   No change there then.

Andy, putting the N into CUTS.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 pm

which, when push comes to shove proves only one thing

labour OR tory, both are mean spirited nast little oiks that like playing games with peoples lives, are mad as a box of frogs and actually unfit to govern.
surely the grants made should be dependant upon need?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

grumpy old git wrote:which, when push comes to shove proves only one thing

labour OR tory, both are mean spirited nast little oiks that like playing games with peoples lives, are mad as a box of frogs and actually unfit to govern.
surely the grants made should be dependant upon need?

At the moment, there has been no proof that the Labour government played with peoples lives. In fact, if Moley can show that they gave more to the NE, they would have been doing just as you suggest Victor, as the NE has been starved by Thatcher and was in a bad way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

As a matter of fact I still have access to the relevant archives, but I have "cited" as a reliable source my own considerable experience as a former councillor , and if you think that I am going to identify that council and therefore myself you have, as they say, another think coming to you.

Some of us in these forums have a wealth of personal experience and knowledge about the fairly limited range of subjects which we choose to address and have no need, even if we had either the time or the inclination, to spend hours Googling up (sometimes entirely incorrect) facts and pouring over old propaganda sheets.

If that would reveal who you are then I would accept that as a legitimate reason not to provide the data. Can you select another Tory region then to support your claim......

Labour poured central grant resources into mainly Labour controlled county, borough and district authorities throughout their period in office while systematically cutting resources for rural - and  primarily Tory and Lib Dem controlled - councils.

Of course I did; by taking part in endless committee meetings and briefing sessions involving not only my own but neighbouring councils...a thankless task, but some of us are (were, in my case) public spirited enough to do it.

Perhaps you're annoyed that instead of presiding over a doubling of council tax as happened during Labour's tenure of office, the Coalition has eased the burden on countless thousands of taxpayers by freezing it.

The naturally profligate Left must be furious about that.

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Blair, Campbell, Whelan, MacBride, MacShane, Moran, Uddin, Chayton, Moreley, Illsley, Devine............................

Oh Christ here come them badgers moving goalposts again.

Far from it; you were the one daft enough to try to score a cheap political point by throwing out an unspecified taunt about "liars, cheats and professional robbers."

I would have thought that as someone who appears to spend most of his waking hours scrabbling around for rods with which to beat the wicked Tories, you would have been grateful.

Both sides have their fair share of those and I'm sure you are no stranger to the wicked Labour party rhetoric that spews out from a place that you frequent regularly.

And you will find my time on here is limited mainly to the evenings rather than most of my waking hours

Cheap shots abound and as you have just shown you are not entirely innocent in that respect so please spare me the lecture on that score.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:22 pm

Catman wrote:Britain's ten poorest areas face biggest council cuts - as rich Tory authorities get budget rises  - Page 2 Eric-Pickles-2870190
Fat fucking Tory  pig that stole all the fucking pies!

Communities Secretary: Eric Pickles
Getty

Britain's 10 worst-off areas will suffer the biggest council cuts – as some rich Tory authorities get budget rises, research shows.

Deprived boroughs in Liverpool, London, Manchester and Middlesbrough, will lose ten times more from the government than the ten richest.

The reason lies in funding formulas used by the Tory-led Government which hits Labour-held areas hardest.

These local authorities will have their budgets slashed by an average 16.9% during this Parliament, but Tory-controlled councils will lose just 6.6% and Lib Dem councils, 7.8%.

But Communities Secretary Eric Pickles is hitting worst-off areas harder.

Liverpool will lose 27.1% in funding from 2010-15, Hackney in London, 27%, Manchester City Council, 26%, Middlesbrough, 24% and Birmingham, 23.3%.

But Tory-run Wokingham, one of the richest areas in England, will get a 1.1% rise and Education Secretary Michael Gove’s council of Surrey Heath will receive a 0.9% increase in funding.

Other councils serving the seats of Cabinet ministers will also do well.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling’s local council Epsom and Ewell will enjoy a 3% increase, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt’s Waverley council is getting a 1.3% rise and Defence Secretary Philip Hammond’s Runnymede, 0.6%.

On average councils in the ten most deprived areas will have cuts of 25% but councils in the ten richest areas will only lose 2.5%, according to the figures compiled by Labour and Newcastle City Council.

Council leaders are already cutting libraries, road maintenance and youth clubs and will struggle to maintain vital services such as social care.

And the harsh spending cuts are being felt in cities with the most children living in poverty.

A worrying 38% of kids in Manchester live below the breadline – 33% in Liverpool. In Wokingham just 9% of children are living in poverty.

Shadow Communities Secretary Hilary Benn said: “These figures are shocking. They show the direct impact of David Cameron and Eric Pickles’s unfair policies.

"The Government claims that those with the broadest shoulders must bear the biggest burden, but they are doing the exact opposite and hitting the poorest communities hardest.”

“One Nation Labour will ensure that future funding of vital council services is done on the basis of need.”

But local Government Minister Brandon Lewis claimed: “The coalition government has delivered a fair settlement to every part of the country - north and south, rural and urban, metropolitan and shire.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/council-cuts-britains-ten-poorest-3091450#ixzz2rqW4kX4s
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

No ....Get the Tory bastards out now!
Another chunky Charlie eating up the planet, feeding his fat fucking face like a glutton.

The chap might have a passion for toilet rolls and hamsters, I'd stick the fatcunt in a cage and watch him rotate the treadmill,,,
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Both sides have their fair share of those and I'm sure you are no stranger to the wicked Labour party rhetoric that spews out from a place that you frequent regularly.

And you will find my time on here is limited mainly to the evenings rather than most of my waking hours

Cheap shots abound and as you have just shown you are not entirely innocent in that respect so please spare me the lecture on that score.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Moley, did you forget to post?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Perhaps that is because I have taken my cue from more established members of the forum.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Sassy wrote:Moley, did you forget to post?

Did I forget to post what, Sassy?

Hmmm, see what you mean. It seems to have downloaded twice; once as a blank. Strange, that.

But no, I didn't forget. I know I have many of the defects of old age, but loss of memory ain't one of them.

Last edited by Fred Moletrousers on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Labour poured central grant resources into mainly Labour controlled county, borough and district authorities throughout their period in office while systematically cutting resources for rural - and  primarily Tory and Lib Dem controlled - councils.

Of course I did; by taking part in endless committee meetings and briefing sessions involving not only my own but neighbouring councils...a thankless task, but some of us  are (were, in my case) public spirited enough to do it.

Perhaps you're annoyed that instead of presiding over a doubling of council tax as happened during Labour's tenure of office, the Coalition has eased the burden on countless thousands of taxpayers by freezing it.

Ah, the old chestnut of Labour doubling council tax. I wondered how long it would take for that one to get rolled out.

Figures published by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) show that there has indeed been a doubling since Labour took power in 1997.

The average council tax paid per dwelling has risen from £564 in 1997-98 to £1,195 in 2010-11, an increase of 112 per cent. When measured as the Band D average, another common indicator, bills have increased from £688 in 1997-98 to £1,439 in 2010-11, a rise of 109 per cent.

However as the Government’s own Minister David Willetts pointed out on yesterday evening’s Newsnight, it is not always fair to compare nominal values over long periods of time, as money depreciates in real value due to inflation.

When considered in real terms, there has been a 40 per cent growth in the average council tax bill per dwelling, with the average Band D property charges increasing slightly more, at 68.6 per cent growth on 1997 bills.

Whether or not the Labour Government can be held solely responsible for these rises, whatever their size, is also a contentious issue. Whilst the money raised through the council tax is distributed by DCLG, the rate of council tax itself is determined by local authorities, not by central government.

Furthermore, a closer inspection of the DCLG data reveals that the decisions behind council tax rises were not the responsibility of just one party.

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/did_labour_double_council_tax-1575
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Perhaps that is because I have taken my cue from more established members of the forum.

On Flap you mean?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Sassy wrote:Moley, did you forget to post?

Hmmm, see what you mean. It seems to have downloaded twice; once as a blank. Strange, that.

But no, I didn't forget. I know I have many of the defects of old age, but loss of memory ain't one of them.

You posted a reply to Irn twice, once in the post about mine, without a comment in it, and once after.

Oh hell, and you added to the second one while I posted this lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Of course I did; by taking part in endless committee meetings and briefing sessions involving not only my own but neighbouring councils...a thankless task, but some of us  are (were, in my case) public spirited enough to do it.

Ah, the old chestnut of Labour doubling council tax. I wondered how long it would take for that one to get rolled out.

Figures published by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) show that there has indeed been a doubling since Labour took power in 1997.

The average council tax paid per dwelling has risen from £564 in 1997-98 to £1,195 in 2010-11, an increase of 112 per cent. When measured as the Band D average, another common indicator, bills have increased from £688 in 1997-98 to £1,439 in 2010-11, a rise of 109 per cent.

However as the Government’s own Minister David Willetts pointed out on yesterday evening’s Newsnight, it is not always fair to compare nominal values over long periods of time, as money depreciates in real value due to inflation.

When considered in real terms, there has been a 40 per cent growth in the average council tax bill per dwelling, with the average Band D property charges increasing slightly more, at 68.6 per cent growth on 1997 bills.

Whether or not the Labour Government can be held solely responsible for these rises, whatever their size, is also a contentious issue. Whilst the money raised through the council tax is distributed by DCLG, the rate of council tax itself is determined by local authorities, not by central government.

Furthermore, a closer inspection of the DCLG data reveals that the decisions behind council tax rises were not the responsibility of just one party.

I've just checked my own file and mine went up from £956 pa to £2,485 pa between 1997 and 2010. That looks more like two and a half times to me.

Perhaps I was just unlucky, though recalling the angst which appeared generally in the local and region press come rate-fixing time every November, I somehow doubt it.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I've just checked my own file and mine went up from £956 pa to £2,485 pa between 1997 and 2010. That looks more like two and a half times to me.

Perhaps I was just unlucky, though recalling the angst which appeared generally in the local and region press come rate-fixing time every November, I somehow doubt it.

Tory council was it?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 pm

Sassy wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

You posted a reply to Irn twice, once in the post about mine, without a comment in it, and once after.

I excuse myself on the grounds that I'm suffering a senior moment and that I haven't had my Sanatogen tonight....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I excuse myself on the grounds that I'm suffering a senior moment and that I haven't had my Sanatogen tonight....

Lol, I'm sticking to hot chocolate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Tory council was it?

Yes, it was - and for the very reasons that I have given. I would have thought that fairly obvious.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Well I'm going to have a beer.

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Sassy wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Lol, I'm sticking to hot chocolate.

Well enjoyable though all this may be, I'm going to log off, put my dog out for a pee, drag my weary old bones upstairs, put my teeth in a jam jar at the side of the bed and get into my flannelette nightshirt and bobble hat.

Goodnight all.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Gonna make OH's sarnies. Don't know why, he's got two hands, but he works long hours and I don't, so it's only fair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Tory council was it?

Yes, it was - and for the very reasons that I have given. I would have thought that fairly obvious.

It was and the post I put in from Fullfact pretty much makes it obvious that your council tax didn't go up because of Labour.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:04 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

It was and the post I put in from Fullfact pretty much makes it obvious that your council tax didn't go up because of Labour.

It most certainly does not "pretty much make it obvious..." other, of course, than to those who unquestioningly agree with it.

The penultimate paragraph alone admits that this is "a contentious issue"; in other words in general debate the jury is still out.

Fullfact is simply one of many self-proclaimed politically independent but commercially based such organisations.

They are extremely respectable and highly regarded and they do valuable work, though usually in accordance with the criteria laid down by their commissioning clients.

They reach conclusions and express structured opinions as well as checking and recording facts but they are not infallible.

Furthermore, in the extract which you have used, the organisation does not even set out to address one of the key elements constantly raised during consideration of council tax increases by the local authorities who were (and still are) required in law to set local rates of tax and to collect them - and that was the cost/impact on local government finances of the mandatory measures imposed nationally by central government, much of it centred on education, social services and welfare.

I'll give you just one example (albeit at the risk of the usual howls of "racist" for even daring to broach the subject), and that was the enormous cost of coping with the unprecedented inflow into concentrated, often rural areas of migrant workers and their dependents.

You may not have experienced that so much north of the border, IB , but by God we have done so in my area and the position is much worse in other parts of this region.

That means that Labour's immigration policies alone resulted and continue to result in huge increases in costs for many local councils. The whole point of this argument is that while governments generate these additional costs they often do not make a realistic contribution to meeting them, and that leaves local councils with no alternative but to increase council tax.

Between 1997 and 2010 some of those increases were positively eye-watering, leading to a more than doubling of average council tax levels in many areas.

The last government were, whether you care to admit it or not, far more generous in the apportionment of CG in favour of local authorities in traditionally Labour areas than was the case in traditionally Tory and (some) Lib Dem controlled areas, many of whom saw reductions in real terms.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:15 pm

The areas that you say Labour gave extra money to, where the areas that Thatcher, as deliberate policy, had let run into the ground, and were on their knees. That's the way the money should be spent, to those that need it the most, so I'm really hoping you are right and have the figures to prove it Fred.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Sassy wrote:The areas that you say Labour gave extra money to, where the areas that Thatcher, as deliberate policy, had let run into the ground, and were on their knees.   That's the way the money should be spent, to those that need it the most, so I'm really hoping you are right and have the figures to prove it Fred.

I'm not arguing about the rights or wrong of what Pickles is doing, or what Thatcher did or what Labour did between 1997 and 2010...what I am saying is that it is illogical for Labour supporters to moan about the Coalition's policies on central government funding for local councils in primarily Labour-supporting areas when Labour did much the same in  respect of primarily Tory-supporting areas when they were in power.

No doubt you and your fellow left wingers would justify Labour's policies; that's your right. But I have my right, too; and that is to criticise them for imposing additional and mandatory costs on rural areas, where there are equally people in need, while depriving them of sufficient Capital Grant to be able to meet those costs without the necessity of large and in some cases unaffordable increases in council tax.

Of course had we continued with Thatcher's Community Charge, albeit in a fairer and less blunt weapon form, instead of her cravenly caving in to the vociferous "can't pay, won't pay" brigade and reverting to a system hardly any different to the grotesquely unfair old rating principle, local government finance might well have been in a far better shape today.

But's that's another argument and I'm likely to be hauled over the coals for "deflecting" if I pursue it.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Its simple M'Lud If labour are biased "Its fair" if the Tories are biased "Its unfair".

The lefts idea of fair is anything that Labour agree with. Neither you nor I have tried to cover up the fact the Tories did the same before but get them to admit Labour did anything wrong you haven't a chance especially with Irn Bru.

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Clarkson wrote:Its simple M'Lud If labour are biased "Its fair" if the Tories are biased "Its unfair".

The lefts idea of fair is anything that Labour agree with. Neither you nor I have tried to cover up the fact the Tories did the same before but get them to admit Labour did anything wrong you haven't a chance especially with Irn Bru.

Being permanently in denial certainly appears to be the modus operandi of Labour from the leadership to the most humble card-carrier.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2