NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Banned in Boston"

4 posters

Go down

"Banned in Boston" Empty "Banned in Boston"

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Not sure how well this expression is known outside the U.S., but it's a very interesting phenomenon.

Boston was founded by Puritans who had a real knack for censorship. They were a lot like fundamentalists of any stripe, banning this and that because it offended their religious sensibilities, often to the point of being ridiculous.

But soon, theatrical productions found that they actually wanted to be banned in Boston, because the public at large became naturally curious as to what it was about the play that offended those uptight Bostonians so badly. People would flock to see the plays in other cities. "Banned in Boston" became an effective advertising slogan and was included on posters advertising the plays.

Another example: Salman Rushdie was selling a few hundred copies a week of The Satanic Verses -- until the fatwa was issued, when it became an international best-seller and earned Rushdie over $2 million in one year.

If you want to drive up interest in something, the best thing you could do is to have someone try to ban it or censor it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

"Banned in Boston" Empty Re: "Banned in Boston"

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm

unless of course it happens to be an objection to massive and unsustainable immigration....in which case the powers that be dont censor it...they just put their fingers in their collective ears and go LA LA LA I cant hear you......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 pm

grumpy old git wrote:unless of course it happens to be an objection to massive and unsustainable immigration....in which case the powers that be dont censor it...they just put their fingers in their collective ears and go LA LA LA I cant hear you......

Perhaps the inverse of the "Banned in Boston" rule is that if you never shut up about something, people tune you out! :D
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 pm

yer right...
so we just "suck it up" ?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:59 pm

grumpy old git wrote:yer right...

Well, it seems that we have to do that with a lot of problems, as it's human nature to ignore something until it becomes impossible to ignore.

On that note:

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Well, it seems that we have to do that with a lot of problems, as it's human nature to ignore something until it becomes impossible to ignore.

yup, and then what happens???..oh yes the extreme right gain ascendancy......I dont really want to go there....

On that note:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 am

On the bright side, what often happens when problems become impossible to ignore is that we all decide to gang together and kick the shit out of Hitler. Humanity is a wonderful resource. Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:29 am

umm YES
you guys are hypocrites.
Do it to half the world, now fucking whinge that you got a few more people. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

And your not even properly full
Japan 127Million people 377,944 km² (2975 km² per 1 million)
UK 63million people 243,610 km² (3866 km² per 1 million)

twice as many people but only 50% more space, and they lose more space to volcanoes too. You could try some ingenuity and knock down some of the old dumps and build some modern skyscrapers. That wouls also Create jobs... but No No  much better whinging about in the Englishman's opinion  :-:bravo:-: :-:bravo:-: :-:bravo:-: :-:bravo:-: :-:bravo:-: :-:bravo:-:  after all it is easier than doing something productive  ::troll:: 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 am

Tell camergoon that ...not me...
you are dead right we could do with improving the hosing stock...but we are broke dontcha know....he gave it all to his mates.....

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 am

It doesn't even cost money. Building large structures that you then sell or lease segments of (apartments, retail or corporate) end up generating more income than they cost to build. it is just having the capital to float until sales can be made.
The investment by Gov't would only need to be temporary and can be recouped when construction is completed.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:17 am

veya_victaous wrote:It doesn't even cost money. Building large structures that you then sell or lease segments of (apartments, retail or corporate) end up generating more income than they cost to build. it is just having the capital to float until sales can be made.
The investment by Gov't would only need to be temporary and can be recouped when construction is completed.

I know that, you know that, christ on a bike 99% of the world knows that, or can figure it out

the politicians however......................

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 am

@grumpy
it is not actually directed at you personally. Wink

Don't you have a single Entrepreneur in the country!!!! It hardly needs Politicians at all.
Maybe that’s the problem the British wait for Politicians, if you do that you will be waiting for ever.

Someone needs to hit the Pollies with a proposal and make it Public.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 am

hey veya,why don't you come over to uk, with your vast knowledge of where we have gone wrong, and what we should do to put things right, you would be welcomed with open arms.i'm sorry about the weather but I'm sure you have the brains to put that right as well!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 pm

nicko wrote:hey veya,why don't you come over to uk, with your vast knowledge of where we have gone wrong, and what we should do to put things right, you would be welcomed with open arms.i'm sorry about the weather but I'm sure you have the brains to put that right as well!
 Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 
And how would that help me in my goal of teasing Englishmen scratch
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 pm

veya_victaous wrote: 
nicko wrote:hey veya,why don't you come over to uk, with your vast knowledge of where we have gone wrong, and what we should do to put things right, you would be welcomed with open arms.i'm sorry about the weather but I'm sure you have the brains to put that right as well!
And how would that help me in my goal of teasing Englishmen  scratch

Thats a bit rich coming from a member of the no1 sheep shagging, marsupial molesting, nation  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 pm

grumpy old git wrote:
veya_victaous wrote: 

Thats a bit rich coming from a member of the no1  sheep shagging, marsupial molesting, nation  Razz 

That's New Zealand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 pm

No, it Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Sassy wrote:No, it Wales.

uuhmmm...they dont have marsupials in wales......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:49 pm

grumpy old git wrote:
Sassy wrote:No, it Wales.

uuhmmm...they dont have marsupials in wales......

Lol, sure they have zoo's in Wales, them marsupials get everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:45 pm

An Australian is vacationing in New Zealand. On a walk through the farmland, he sees a Kiwi rancher shamelessly going at it with one of his sheep.

"You know, mate, in Oz we shear those!" the Australian calls.

"Yeah, well I ain't shearing Betsy with nobody!" the rancher replies.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:30 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:An Australian is vacationing in New Zealand. On a walk through the farmland, he sees a Kiwi rancher shamelessly going at it with one of his sheep.

"You know, mate, in Oz we shear those!" the Australian calls.

"Yeah, well I ain't shearing Betsy with nobody!" the rancher replies.

Had to read that twice and put on an australian accent in my head lol

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:43 am

grumpy old git wrote:
veya_victaous wrote: 

Thats a bit rich coming from a member of the no1  sheep shagging, marsupial molesting, nation  Razz 

GO on I dare you to Molest a marsupial
Come on Wally is waiting
"Banned in Boston" 0QITlpi

And Robbo's next
"Banned in Boston" Roo9
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:09 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
grumpy old git wrote:

I know that, you know that, christ on a bike 99% of the world knows that, or can figure it out

the politicians however......................

cyclops 

AS THOSE recent record floods in Britain over the last couple of years ably demonstrate...

THEM THERE British politicians would rather concrete over what remains of your "verdant countryside", cut down all of those petulant trees getting in their way, and then decide that the closest watercourse or floodplain would be the "most obvious" place to build that new town !!!

And, OF COURSE the accompanying motorway and canals should be built on the high side of the town.  Arrow 

Yup...that about describes it Bee......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down