NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale

4 posters

Go down

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Empty The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale

Post by Guest Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 am

Once upon a time in Asia Minor, people started to tell the tale of The Smith and the Devil. The plot was simple: A craftsman trades his soul for supernatural power, then uses his magic to trap the diabolical creature with whom he made the deal.

Folklorists, including the Brothers Grimm, have long assumed the story, as well as other tales such as Rumpelstiltskin and Beauty and the Beast, is ancient. Now, there’s firm evidence for that from Durham University anthropologist Jamshid Tehrani and New University of Lisbon social scientist Sara Graça da Silva. Treating each tale as a species that mutates over time, they’ve borrowed techniques from phylogenetics (the study of evolutionary relationships between living organisms) to map stories onto the tree of Indo-European languages.

The Smith and the Devil is the oldest they’ve found, spreading over seven millennia to encompass more than 35 languages — and the devil is still falling for the same trick that tripped him up in Asia Minor.

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale ScreenShot20170405at112623AM

http://discovermagazine.com/2017/may-2017/story-time

Back to top Go down

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Empty Re: The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale

Post by Original Quill Wed May 03, 2017 6:15 pm

I love the study of folklore, and children’s songs in particular.  One of my professors at Berkeley was David Daube, an Englishman who divided his time between Berkeley and Oxford, where he also had tenure.  

Dr. Daube was perhaps the foremost authority on Roman Law, but one day his son brought to him a child’s rhyme:  Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, All the king’s horses and all the king’s men, couldn’t put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

The father and the boy had a discussion about where the boy first heard the rhyme.  The question played on David’s mind such that the next day he went to the library to research it.  He found an earlier version of the rhyme:

Humpty-Dumpty fell into the Beck,
All of the sinews wrapped round its neck,
All the king’s doctors, and all the king’s men,
Couldn’t put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Then he found an earlier version:

Humpty Dumpty sate [sic] on a wall,
Humpti Dumpti [sic] had a great fall;
Threescore men and threescore more,
Cannot place Humpty dumpty as he was before

And another version:

“Humpty Dumpty lies in the beck,
With a white counterpane round his neck,
Forty doctors and forty wrights,
Cannot put Humpty Dumpty to rights!”

From his research, David learned that the rhyme had its origins from the siege of the city of Gloucester by Royalists (Cavaliers) in 1643.  The common elements in all three versions were the doctors, the sinews, the beck, the wall and the fall.  David published his findings.  The following is a summary:

Wiki wrote:Professor David Daube suggested in The Oxford Magazine of 16 February 1956 that Humpty Dumpty was a "tortoise" siege engine, an armoured frame, used unsuccessfully to approach the walls of the Parliamentary held city of Gloucester in 1643 during the Siege of Gloucester in the English Civil War. This was on the basis of a contemporary account of the attack, but without evidence that the rhyme was connected. http://wikivisually.com/wiki/Humpty_Dumpty

Now the English kings never went in for what are called ‘machines’ or ‘engines’…except this once.  King Charles allowed some fancy ‘doctors’ to talk him into this device to breach the wall.  Humpty-Dumpty was a war engine, an unwieldy device, with long pole (neck) for breaching a wall (wall), held in place by ropes (sinews; and counterpanes have fringes), which men held (all the king’s men).  The machine was hoisted onto the wall, but it became so cumbersome that the men lost control and it fell into the moat (beck) below.

The rhyme became a children’s song, sung by the children of Gloucester, originally intended to taunt the English Royalists.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Empty Re: The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale

Post by nicko Thu May 04, 2017 5:09 am

That was as good as an explanation about Humpty as I have ever heard !

Good one Quill, can you find any more?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu May 04, 2017 7:49 am

Humpty Dumpty is also a famous literary figure. In Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass" Humpty says: "When I use a word it means what I choose it to mean; neither more nor less."

I know some posters like that!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Humpty Dumpty is also a famous literary figure. In Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass" Humpty says: "When I use a word it means what I choose it to mean; neither more nor less."

I know some posters like that!

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Temper-tantrum-o

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 am

Oh look, a nice shiny red stripe! I shall wear it with pride.

Someone is obviously not a Lewis Carroll fan...
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu May 04, 2017 10:03 am

Why the fcuk would anyone give you a red for that?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 04, 2017 11:38 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Oh look, a nice shiny red stripe! I shall wear it with pride.

Someone is obviously not a Lewis Carroll fan...

I gave you a red for trying to derail the thread with a dig at posters.

All you had to do was make your comment, but instead you had to have a pathetic immature dig

Seriously grow up, you should have done by now at your age

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu May 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Thorin, if you want an extreme example of "a dig at Posters" look at Wolf's and Veya's posts.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 04, 2017 12:32 pm

nicko wrote:Thorin, if you want an extreme example of "a dig at Posters" look at Wolf's and Veya's posts.

All are wrong and have only just told off wolf for how he spoke to Nems the other day.

I have defended you from abuse also

So lets not get off the point here, there was no need to the childish dig here, of which now instead we are talking about and not the article I posted.

Hope Quill gets this back on track.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 pm

nicko wrote:Thorin, if you want an extreme example of "a dig at Posters" look at Wolf's and Veya's posts.

Oh, him? I would have thought that by now even he might have realised that the huge collection of reds that he has posted in my direction over the years hasn't had the slightest effect...I just brush 'em all off, regardless of source, as being futile and childish.

I only ever use them myself to signify my approval of an outstandingly brilliant post, when I award a very rare green, or something that is gratuitously racist or homophobic, which gets an equally rare red.

You can tell him from me that I was thinking of a number of people at the time, most of them not in residence here, and that he doesn't rank in sufficient importance in my life to have been one of them.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Oh, him? I would have thought that by now even he might have realised that the huge collection of reds that he has posted in my direction over the years hasn't had the slightest effect...I just brush 'em all off, regardless of source, as being futile and childish.

I only ever use them myself to signify my approval of an outstandingly brilliant post, when I award a very rare green, or something that is gratuitously racist or homophobic, which gets an equally rare red.

You can tell him from me that I was thinking of a number of people at the time, most of them not in residence here, and that he doesn't rank in sufficient importance in my life to have been one of them.

Have another red for being ever so immature

seriously grow up

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Look! Yet another dire warning from my mysterious stalker, the Anonymous Red Geranium.

How exciting...it's almost as good as being handed the black spot by Blind Pugh in Treasure Island.

I wonder whether it's ol' Shady having a joke at my expense?

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Look! Yet another dire warning from my mysterious stalker, the Anonymous Red Geranium.

How exciting...it's almost as good as being handed the black spot by Blind Pugh in Treasure Island.

You talking to yourself now?

Tad worrying I must say

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu May 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Another great story is no mystery.  Uncle Remus is the fictional title character and narrator of a collection of African and Native-American folktales, adapted to the rural American south.  The stories take the shape of seven books.  Adapted and compiled by Atlanta journalists, Joel Chandler Harris, they were published in book form in 1881.

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Brer_Rabbit_Disney_screenshot The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Latest?cb=20151112054416

The theme uses animal characters, but are representative of real people he knew.  Like Wiley the Coyote, the central figures are a prey-figure, Br'er Rabbit, and a predator, Br'er Fox.  There are other, peripheral figures, such as Br'er Bear, Aunt Tempy, Johnny, and an ignominious Tar-Baby.  Like Greek characters, each figure has a flaw, which is played out in the various different narratives.  Many of the stories end with Br'er Rabbit tricking either Br'er Fox or Br'er Bear to throw him into the Briar Patch, where he taunts: I's born and raised in the briar patch...don't try to fool me!  This has become a famous American line for outsmarting someone.

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale 4cf5a9d75b02dde126c39b0c49d52b9f_-brer-rabbit-jump-brer-rabbit-clipart_375-334

The stories are adaptations of stories from Africa and Native America.  Stories about swindlers, particularly the Br're Rabbit character, figure prominently in the storytelling traditions in West, Central, and Southern Africa.  Likewise, "Rabbit and Hare myths abound among Algonquin Indians in Eastern North America, [using] the name Nanabozho."  Wiki. The Great Hare is a figure revered among tribes in eastern Ontario.

The Harris series was turned into a Disney film, Songs of the South, in 1946.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu May 04, 2017 6:30 pm

I enjoy these explanations Quill, more if possible.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu May 04, 2017 6:30 pm

I enjoy these explanations Quill, more if possible.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 am

nicko wrote:I enjoy these explanations Quill,   more if possible.

These are fun, aren't they? And some serious research goes into them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 am

I'm guessing the irony of your post is lost on you Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 7:08 am

veya_victaous wrote:

I'm guessing the irony of your post is lost on you Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wow and I still see you are acting like a child

I am still waiting to know why you locked my thread for no reason

How about you learn to move on and stop being personal all the time

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 05, 2017 7:12 am

Thorin wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

To Stop me banning you!!!!

This is not a democracy and I have no need to explain myself to you or any other poster

Feel free to leave if you don't like It Suspect Suspect Suspect
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Thorin wrote:

To Stop me banning you!!!!

This is not a democracy and I have no need to explain myself to you or any other poster

Feel free to leave if you don't like It Suspect Suspect Suspect

And what rule did I break for you to consider banning me?

Free speech?

Like I said, you invent rules when you lose a debate

You are supposed to be impartial on moderation on the rules

I never broke a rule in that debate

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 am

I'll start locking thread just to stop you having the last word in them if your not careful Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 7:15 am

veya_victaous wrote:I'll start locking thread just to stop you having the last word in them if your not careful Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

To prove you are a sore loser?

Be my guest

It just proves you are incapable of being impartial and the majority of posters can see that

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri May 05, 2017 11:48 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Look! Yet another dire warning from my mysterious stalker, the Anonymous Red Geranium.

Ah, well..another day, another red - though my thanks to the kind soul who gave me a green one to balance things out a bit.

I haven't a clue as to the identity of the Anonymous Red Geranium, as I never see any messages attached to them, but it's it quite obviously either some friggin' pervert of a stalker with nothing better to do or a fractious toddler who is overdue for a nappy change.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 11:51 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Ah, well..another day, another red - though my thanks to the kind soul who gave me a green one to balance things out a bit.

I haven't a clue as to the identity of the Anonymous Red Geranium, as I never see any messages attached to them, but it's it quite obviously either some friggin' pervert of a stalker with nothing better to do or a fractious toddler who is overdue for a nappy change.

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale 711f26c0212caf177e6e78ef4769cd54

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri May 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Another one! Clearly a friggin' pervert.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Another one! Clearly a friggin' pervert.

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale 4eaee966d849644538ed001d0ba46724

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Ring-a-ring o' roses,
A pocket full of posies,
A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
We all fall down.[4]

I had always accepted this old rhyme as being quintessentially English and as having had its origins in the great plague when, it was thought, rose petals offered some sort of protection against infection.

However, prompted by Quill's interesting thread I looked up what Wikipaedia had to say about it and was surprised to read that it may have its roots back in Pagan times and that there are historic versions in the literature of other countries.

Is there anything in either American Indian or Australian Aborigine folklore to suggest any link to countries as far away as that, and which were, so far as I know, not infected by the European Black Death?

MEANWHILE...memo to the insufferable clown who is red-striping every post I make: Fuck off and grow up. My patience and my good humour are exhausted.

a) I do not care a fish's tit if my every post in every thread has a red stripe against it; unless greens and reds are awarded for either outstandingly sensible or appallingly offensive posts, I have always regarded and treated them as being utterly childish.

Anyone who finds it necessary to red-stripe a quotation from "Through the Looking Glass" must be particularly infantile, and your assumption that I had you in mind was erroneous - unless you were the stupid bugger in, I think, ADO or even Sky, who genuinely believed that a paediatrician was a kiddy fiddler! You, on the other hand, feature less in my thoughts than remembering what day to put my wheelie bin out.

b) Since it is obvious who you are: When I take the extreme and, for me, unusual step of blocking a poster it is for perfectly valid reasons. In your case it was because I am sick and tired of your arrogant assumption that you are the forum's sole expert on everything from aardvarks to zoonoses; I find your constant childish attempts at put-downs on anyone and everyone who has the temerity to disagree with you both irritating and highly offensive, and I am bored to wracking sobs by your never-ending avalanche of cut-and-pasted material and obscure links that are cluttering up my computer's memory.

And in case you are wondering, since I have to suffer putting up with that pathetic little small-print note identifying you and re-iterating that your messages are blocked every time you attempt to inflict your drivel on me, I have not read a single one of them - not one - because (a) I am not in the slightest interested in anything further that you have to say and (b) my visits to this forum have been infinitely more enjoyable and entertaining since I blocked you and your posts from my sight...in both your IDs.

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 pm

I had heard it was English, and had to do with the plague.  But with some variations....

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Ring-around-the-rosies

The rings are welts in the skin that appear and are symptomatic of the plague.

The pocket full of posies are herbs that people carried around in their pockets believing it would ward off the evil spirits of the plague.  Early form of pharmacology...as some of them worked.

"Ashes! Ashes!"  Obvious reference to burning bodies.

"We all fall down."  We all face death.

Just a pleasant little ditty to amuse children.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Original Quill wrote:I had heard it was English, and had to do with the plague.  But with some variations....

The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale Ring-around-the-rosies

The rings are welts in the skin that appear and are symptomatic of the plague.

The pocket full of posies are herbs that people carried around in their pockets believing it would ward off the evil spirits of the plague.  Early form of pharmacology...as some of them worked.

"Ashes! Ashes!"  Obvious reference to burning bodies.

"We all fall down."  We all face death.

Just a pleasant little ditty to amuse children.

Thanks, Quill, I had read that version too.

What always amused me was the tradition here that judges carried nosegays of flowers or herbs that they wafted under their noses to remove the stench of the unwashed peasants in the court...at the same time that they were sentencing some poor sod to death or transportation to Australia (no slur or offence intended Wolfie!!!!!!!) for nicking the Lord of the Manor's deer.

Mind you, as a Lord of the Manor, I would happily do just the same today!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Ring-a-ring o' roses,
A pocket full of posies,
A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
We all fall down.[4]

I had always accepted this old rhyme as being quintessentially English and as having had its origins in the great plague when, it was thought, rose petals offered some sort of protection against infection.

However, prompted by Quill's interesting thread I looked up what Wikipaedia had to say about it and was surprised to read that it may have its roots back in Pagan times and that there are historic versions in the literature of other countries.

Is there anything in either American Indian or Australian Aborigine folklore to suggest any link to countries as far away as that, and which were, so far as I know, not infected by the European Black Death?

MEANWHILE...memo to the insufferable clown who is red-striping every post I make: Fuck off and grow up. My patience and my good humour are exhausted.

a) I do not care a fish's tit if my every post in every thread has a red stripe against it; unless greens and reds are awarded for either outstandingly sensible or appallingly offensive posts, I have always regarded and treated them as being utterly childish.

Anyone who finds it necessary to red-stripe a quotation from "Through the Looking Glass" must be particularly infantile, and your assumption that I had you in mind was erroneous - unless you were the stupid bugger in, I think, ADO or even Sky, who genuinely believed that a paediatrician was a kiddy fiddler! You, on the other hand, feature less in my thoughts than remembering what day to put my wheelie bin out.

b) Since it is obvious who you are: When I take the extreme and, for me, unusual step of blocking a poster it is for perfectly valid reasons. In your case it was because I am sick and tired of your arrogant assumption that you are the forum's sole expert on everything from aardvarks to zoonoses; I find your constant childish attempts at put-downs on anyone and everyone who has the temerity to disagree with you both irritating and highly offensive, and I am bored to wracking sobs by your never-ending avalanche of cut-and-pasted material and obscure links that are cluttering up my computer's memory.

And in case you are wondering, since I have to suffer putting up with that pathetic little small-print note identifying you and re-iterating that your messages are blocked every time you attempt to inflict your drivel on me, I have not read a single one of them - not one - because (a) I am not in the slightest interested in anything further that you have to say and (b)  my visits to this forum have been infinitely more enjoyable and entertaining since I blocked you and your posts from my sight...in both your IDs.

So you are saying to grow up after classing me every swear under the sun, casting me as pervert for rightly giving you a red for your immature behaviour,. even though you claim to have me on ignore

Wow
How even your pride is hurt over a red says more about again not being able to take criticism or how people could view poor posts

Go figure

Its you acting childishly because I simple proved that your reasoning was unfounded when you claimed Tommy's lies were valid.

If that is how and why you place people on ignore, that says more about how antsy you get because people question your views

Hey ho, please continue to act as you are and I will continue to red what I see as childish behaviour

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I'll start locking thread just to stop you having the last word in them if your not careful Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I have just given you one of my very, very rare greens, Veya.

You have restored my faith in humanity, not to mention  moderators.

I concur completely with your sentiments.

To paraphrase King Henry the Second when he became utterly pissed off with Thomas a Becket..."Will no-one rid me of this turbulent Red Geranium?"
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I have just given you one of my very, very rare greens, Veya.

You have restored my faith in humanity, not to mention  moderators.

I concur completely with your sentiments.

To paraphrase King Henry the Second when he became utterly pissed off with Thomas a Becket..."Will no-one rid me of this turbulent Red Geranium?"

Still with the Potty mouth I see and talk about double standards

Fred Moletrousers wrote:I suggest that Veya's own words: "Like I said shut the fuck up..." (addressed to members of a discussion group, for Christ's sake!) is clear evidence that he is prepared quite openly to abuse his powers as a moderator solely for his own benefit.

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t20496-why-are-threads-being-locked-for-no-reason-for-all-mods-to-answer-please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Also Fred needs to understand the rules as well:

Part 2: Basement-worthy infractions

"Gang activity" -- any members conspiring to get other members banned or otherwise punished will be basemented (rendered inactive) for a term subject to moderator discretion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down