NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where Do You Live?

+2
nicko
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where Do You Live? Empty Where Do You Live?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:41 pm

27th January 2014

I've noticed a few arguments over where people are from - where are you from?

It might explain why some are droning on about Obama, or the fires in Australia if we know where other posters hatched.

Born in England and living in Londonistan here.

Back to top Go down

Where Do You Live? Empty Re: Where Do You Live?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:27th January 2014

It might explain why some are droning on about Obama, or the fires in Australia if we know where other posters hatched.

ben is American and its his site
my guess is he never expected to be invaded by the English and there news stories

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Yep, it's been quite an education in British Bile 101 :D

I thought our politics were divided over here, they're in pretty good shape compared to what I've seen out of the Brits. Even the ones I'm quite inclined to agree with on matters of politics can be remarkably uncivil.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Yep, it's been quite an education in British Bile 101 :D

I thought our politics were divided over here, they're in pretty good shape compared to what I've seen out of the Brits. Even the ones I'm quite inclined to agree with on matters of politics can be remarkably uncivil.

Before I joined the Sky forum a few years ago I had never heard anyone slinging the RW/LW insults Ben.  It's not something I come across in any other part of my life.  I guess people here have very strong political beliefs, the left often being just as extreme as the right.  As being civil, I agree  but apparently this is just "robust debate"  Where Do You Live? Scared28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:55 pm

feelthelove wrote:

Before I joined the Sky forum a few years ago I had never heard anyone slinging the RW/LW insults Ben.  It's not something I come across in any other part of my life.  I guess people here have very strong political beliefs, the left often being just as extreme as the right.  As being civil, I agree  but apparently this is just "robust debate"  Where Do You Live? Scared28

You're one of the few I've noticed is consistently civil, FTL. I'm glad you came aboard, and you reminded me that I should mention something else -- I don't regret the influx of new users, as there have been quite a large number of good ones like you.

I just wish people would put on their big-boy and big-girl shoes and learn how to disagree without throwing tantrums! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Éire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:56 pm

Oh yeah -- Texas :D
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

You're one of the few I've noticed is consistently civil, FTL. I'm glad you came aboard, and you reminded me that I should mention something else -- I don't regret the influx of new users, as there have been quite a large number of good ones like you.

I just wish people would put on their big-boy and big-girl shoes and learn how to disagree without throwing tantrums! Smile

Me too, best of luck with that one Where Do You Live? Wink60Thanks for your comments too, fortunately I have a very high dummy threshold Where Do You Live? Dummy_11It is possible to get your point across and remain civil in the main even if you have very strong beliefs.  

Oh and I'm from Suffolk, England  :D

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

ben,if you want a British forum where every one is polite,i suggest you log on to DIDGITAL SPY.it's a great site with no one like catman to ruin it.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:36 pm

The wild west of Ireland - but at the moment it feels like Antarctica! And just to make me feel happier the ESB (Electric Board) decided to carry out "routine maintenance" on their poles outside the house, so I had no electric from 9am to 5.30pm. My fingers have just defrosted...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

nicko wrote:ben,if you want a British forum where every one is polite,i suggest you log on to DIDGITAL SPY.it's a great site with no one like catman to ruin it.

I never asked for a British forum in the first place, I don't speak the language Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
nicko wrote:ben,if you want a British forum where every one is polite,i suggest you log on to DIDGITAL SPY.it's a great site with no one like catman to ruin it.

I never asked for a British forum in the first place, I don't speak the language Razz
Nor do half the people who live there.

(Now I'm gonna get it!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:44 pm

But you will learn to love ''em, Ben, warts and all.  They have a wicked sense of humour and their behaviour is really fun to watch...deviant, but fun.

Not at all your mom's old Brit.  You have inherited a fortune.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Original Quill wrote:

But you will learn to love ''em, Ben, warts and all.  They have a wicked sense of humour and their behaviour is really fun to watch...deviant, but fun.

We're lovely aren't we Quill  I love you Where Do You Live? Giggl114 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

We're lovely aren't we Quill  I love you Where Do You Live? Giggl114 x

More fun than herding cats.  Razz 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:27th January 2014

I still live at the same house I have for a few years now Andy  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Sydney Australia,
You know you can put in your profile, even if you want to just put in vague
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

There are some who come right out with it Ben, and then there are some who put on a goody two shoes act, but knife you in the back at every opportunity.   They're much worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 pm

France.... erm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:25 pm

London - East End.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm living in Port Moresby PNG right now, not too far from Oz I guess, but will be back home soon x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Nah, I don't really Smile

Would probably,y need armed guards if I lived there!, fascinating people and country though.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:44 pm

@JD
I was gonna say.... PNG, working on the copper mines? pretty dangerous anywhere else.

Why are English People so Ashamed of Saying they are from England?
Look @ Warren, would prefer to French  geek 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 pm

veya_victaous wrote:@JD
I was gonna say.... PNG, working on the copper mines? pretty dangerous anywhere else.

Well, I'm living in the English countryside Veya, but I class myself as a human being from Earth and have lived in lots of countries. Never got to Australia. New Zealand for a short while, but not Australia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:53 pm

No, just an old joke from Sky forum days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:14 am

I'm from Edinburgh (Auld Reekie) We even have a castle in the High Street.

Where Do You Live? Princes_street

Where Do You Live? 9k=

Last edited by Irn Bru on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 am

Sassy wrote:

Well, I'm living in the English countryside Veya, but I class myself as a human being from Earth and have lived in lots of countries.   Never got to Australia.   New Zealand for a short while, but not Australia.
well thats a good way to avoid admitting you are English  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

Where abouts north or near wales?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 am

We have some very pretty architecture here in Texas, too:

Where Do You Live? LEGACY%203276-42B%202011%20LEGACY%20DOUBLE%20WIDE%202,220%20SQ%20FEET%20%204%20OR%205%20%20BEDROOM%20VERSIONS%20FROM%20MAVERICK%20MOBILE%20MODULAR%20HOMES%20CHAMPION%20%20DEALER%20LESS%20%20TYLER%20ATHENS%20WACO%20TERRELL%20KAUFMAN%20TEXAS_full

Boy howdy!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Well, I'm living in the English countryside Veya, but I class myself as a human being from Earth and have lived in lots of countries.   Never got to Australia.   New Zealand for a short while, but not Australia.
well thats a good way to avoid admitting you are English   Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

Where abouts north or near wales?

No, south, old town in beautiful countryside. Other half is from the Highlands of Scotland near Aberdeen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:We have some very pretty architecture here in Texas, too:

Where Do You Live? LEGACY%203276-42B%202011%20LEGACY%20DOUBLE%20WIDE%202,220%20SQ%20FEET%20%204%20OR%205%20%20BEDROOM%20VERSIONS%20FROM%20MAVERICK%20MOBILE%20MODULAR%20HOMES%20CHAMPION%20%20DEALER%20LESS%20%20TYLER%20ATHENS%20WACO%20TERRELL%20KAUFMAN%20TEXAS_full

Boy howdy!

Well it isn't a box, try looking into Victorian housing, that has been converted, here in the UK!

You should embrace your space!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:33 am

Boy howdy!

Is it made of Lego?  geek 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 am

Naw, that's made out of two things -- particle board and prayer! (The prayer is that it's never struck by a tornado)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:37 am

Boy howdy!

Stalag VIII from Hogan's Heroes Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:47 am

I remember travelling back from the NE of England, to London on the train.

There was an American couple on there....'Oh isn't it pretty, look at all of the green countryside'

...They couldn't control their kids very well, with all of the I pods..etc..and media control devices....Of course they weren't typical of all American kids, playing up and having constant hissy fits, whilst the rest of the subdued English passengers were aghast, but didn't say that much at all, just looked on in nervous amusement.

Later in the journey...'Get them off their I pods etc'...'Oh look, now it's getting really urban now'..etc.etc..

....I mean they were obviously having problems controlling their kids, whilst the same couldn't be said for the other kids on the train that were being quiet and subdued.

....The worst point of the journey was when one of the kids went to the toilet...he said 'Mom, someone just shat on the floor'

I would hazard a guess, that it was him!

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 am

Where Do You Live? NewForest460

Ytene.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 am

I'm Scottish Veya, but I had a French grandfather.

PNG...fascinating but dangerous, I don't want killed with a spear in mountains then cooked!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 am

Catman, the reputations of ordinary Americans are constantly victimized by those of us who travel a lot -- they tend to be rich and self-important.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 am

@JD
My Dad is French. I got nothing against the French.

And the Cities of PNG outside of controlled areas are pretty crazy too. whole place is a powder keg with spear/club wielding mobs forming in moments. I think the countless generations of tribal warfare, canibalism and headhunting are still a little too recent for comfort pale pale pale (a part from that it looks like a beautiful place to visit).
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:12 am

veya_victaous wrote: @JD
My Dad is French.  I got nothing against the French.

And the Cities of PNG outside of controlled areas are pretty crazy too. whole place is a powder keg with spear/club wielding mobs forming in moments. I think the countless generations of tribal warfare, canibalism and headhunting are still a little too recent for comfort  pale  pale  pale (a part from that it looks like a beautiful place to visit).

Oh yeah Veya, I fancy it one day, but I would just be too afraid to venture into the wilderness, even with guides, as they have been killed too , along with tourists!

I wouldn't take my kids there though.
Looks a beautiful place apart from the risks of being killed!

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:13 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Catman, the reputations of ordinary Americans are constantly victimized by those of us who travel a lot -- they tend to be rich and self-important.
I took my misses and nipper to see a phantom menace in Philadelphia, we stayed in a motel in the outskirts, and visited a large shopping mall as part of the package, I have never seen so many fat bastards in all my life, I'm 6'2" and 16 stone, but I felt like a hobbit.

Anyway the nipper was obsessed with South Park and bought a cartman doll that shouted "dammit that's a big fat arse" and " you,,,,,fat bastard" he loved following the yanks around the lobby playing that number,,,we were almost asked to leave!

Last edited by scrat on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:14 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Catman, the reputations of ordinary Americans are constantly victimized by those of us who travel a lot -- they tend to be rich and self-important.

Just saying.

We've traveled back on that line quite a lot, in peace and tranquility, that sticks out as being the worst journey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:14 am

Scrat was doing his bit for the British tourist in Philadelphia.....VOTE LABOUR, VOTE LABOUR!!!

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 am

Edinburgh to London!

I must say, that we got chatting with a few Scottish ladies, on occasions!

They were very nice!

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 am

Catman wrote:Edinburgh to London!

They were very nice!

lol

...just send them to me Phil!....

Just kidding!

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:21 am

Joy Division wrote:Scrat was doing his bit for the British tourist in Philadelphia.....VOTE LABOUR, VOTE LABOUR!!!

Wink
Hi JD,,,America was the biggest disappointment in my life,,,,New York was completely soulless, everyone appeared so distant and off,,it's like the land of the giants over there, awfully ugly, if I ever visited it a third time, I'd stay clear of the big cities.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 am

scrat wrote:
Joy Division wrote:Scrat was doing his bit for the British tourist in Philadelphia.....VOTE LABOUR, VOTE LABOUR!!!

Wink
Hi JD,,,America was the biggest disappointment in my life,,,,New York was completely soulless, everyone appeared so distant and off,,it's like the land of the giants over there,  awfully ugly, if I ever visited it a third time, I'd stay clear of the big cities.

Alright Scrat Smile

I've always thought of it as the place to be!, but the the media, telly and so on give that impression...sorry to hear that Scrat, must seem in a way like money wasted?...

If I ever go, it will be California...Santa Cruz boardwalk!! My wee lass is crazy on the Lost Boys films, more so the first in 1987, that where some of the filming was!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am

Joy Division wrote:
Catman wrote:Edinburgh to London!

They were very nice!

lol

Just kidding!

...They were older women, Doug would always strike up the convo,i used to hide behind my laptop, then make polite conversation when he went to the toilet!

...With that American couple, Doug did make an effort to amuse the kids by pulling silly faces at them etc...I didn't say anything, but deep down i was thinking...Don't do that...They might think that your a paedophile!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:30 am

Catman wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Just kidding!

...They were older women, Doug would always strike up the convo,i used to hide behind my laptop, then make polite conversation when he went to the toilet!

...With that American couple, Doug did make an effort to amuse the kids by pulling silly faces at them etc...I didn't say anything, but deep down i was thinking...Don't do that...They might think that your a paedophile!

LMFAO Phil  Laughing 

But it's a sad state of affairs now when some folk can and do think things like that, just like if you see a bairn falling in the street you want to help, but are afraid anyone thinks sick thoughts, it's a mad world as Tears for Fears would say Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 am

Joy Division wrote:
scrat wrote:
Hi JD,,,America was the biggest disappointment in my life,,,,New York was completely soulless, everyone appeared so distant and off,,it's like the land of the giants over there,  awfully ugly, if I ever visited it a third time, I'd stay clear of the big cities.

Alright Scrat Smile

I've always thought of it as the place to be!, but the the media, telly and so on give that impression...sorry to hear that Scrat, must seem in a way like money wasted?...

If I ever go, it will be California...Santa Cruz boardwalk!! My wee lass is crazy on the Lost Boys films, more so the first in 1987, that where some of the filming was!!
California and Oregon cool, my dream is to visit Montana "big sky", I love that.

Decent Americans exist, I've known a few top chaps and chapesses, it's just that we all look at America as some beacon of hope, and it ain't happening,,,,,,yet!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 am

Joy Division wrote:
Catman wrote:

LMFAO Phil  Laughing 

But it's a sad state of affairs now when some folk can and do think things like that, just like if you see a bairn falling in the street you want to help, but are afraid anyone thinks sick thoughts, it's a mad world as Tears for Fears would say Sad

It's really bad these days isn't it.

...When i was a kid, there was this old guy that used to do magic tricks in our road...All the kids used to call him the magic man, and we always used to look forward to seeing him, with all these card magic tricks etc..

...These days he would have been strung up!  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next