NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit

3 posters

Go down

Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit Empty Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 am

Rather than inciting fear, this new study says that anti-smoking campaigns should tap into smokers’ memories and tug at their heartstrings instead of using scare tactics. Researchers from Michigan State University say that advertisers often use nostalgia-evoking messages to promote consumer products, and that tactic could be just as effective in encouraging healthy behaviors, argue Ali Hussain, a doctoral candidate in the School of Journalism, and Maria Lapinski, professor in the Department of Communication.

“A lot of no-smoking messages are centered around fear, disgust and guilt,” Hussain said. “But smokers often don’t buy the messages and instead feel badly about themselves and the person who is trying to scare them.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable disease in the United States, accounting for one of every five deaths. Smoking rates have declined, but in 2015, 15 of every 100 adults were active smokers. Despite the health risks, a key hurdle for health communicators is rejection and avoidance of messages, Lapinski said.

Hoping to find a solution, researchers conducted a study of smokers, ages 18 to 39, exposing some to a nostalgic public service announcement Hussain created and some to a control message.

Those who viewed the PSA reported greater nostalgic emotions and displayed stronger negative attitudes toward smoking, especially women. Starting with images of childhood memories, the PSA script includes phrases such as, “I remember when I was a boy” and “I miss the simplicity of life, being outside on a warm summer night,” making references to familiar smells and tastes from bygone days. It ends with the narrator remembering when someone introduced him to cigarettes and a call to action.

Nostalgia-themed PSAs play off consumers’ most cherished and personal memories, so they feel more engaged, the researchers said. And that nostalgic thinking influences attitudes and behaviors.
“Our study, which to our knowledge is first of its kind, shows promise for using nostalgic messages to promote pro-social behaviors,” Lapinski said. “We know that policy and environmental changes have an influence on smoking and this study indicates persuasive messages can influence smoking attitudes.”

(Source: Michigan State University)

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/heartfelt-memories-may-effective-shaming-help-smokers-quit/

Back to top Go down

Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit Empty Re: Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 am

That simply won't work. What they need to do if they're really want to help smokers is to take all the crap out of the tailor-made cigarettes and make them "safer" (note I didn't say 'safe'), to people's health.

It's a well-known fact that it's the long list of dangerous chemicals that cause harm in cigarettes.
I smoke roll ups as I think they may be slightly better though I don't fool myself they're good for you

Last edited by eddie on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit Empty Re: Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am

"Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These cigarette ingredients include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. Nicotine is highly addictive."
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm

Are you telling me they haven't found a way, to make cigarettes less toxic, by now?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 am

eddie wrote:That simply won't work. What they need to do if they're really want to help smokers is to take all the crap out of the tailor-made cigarettes and make them "safer" (note I didn't say 'safe'), to people's health.

It's a well-known fact that it's the long list of dangerous chemicals that cause harm in cigarettes.
I smoke roll ups as I think they may be slightly better though I don't fool myself they're good for you

It clearly can work Eddie and you are looking at this from your own perspective and not onto others.
You have thus based off how you yourself find it difficult, to form a confirmation bias.
They have tried to take out all the crap with e-cigarettes and they are also unhealthy.
At the end of the day, it boils down to will power, but anything that is suggestive that can help is a bonus.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:03 am

Yes it's definitely willpower didge I agree.

My point is though, surely herbal tobaccos are better and couldn't cigarette manufacturers use more herbs instead of chemicals?
Over 4,000 chemicals in cigarettes??! Must be a better way surely?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:04 am

And can I just say...I smoke cos I like it.
I can actually give up if I wanted to - I can have incredible willpower when I need to.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:09 am

eddie wrote:Yes it's definitely willpower didge I agree.

My point is though, surely herbal tobaccos are better and couldn't cigarette manufacturers use more herbs instead of chemicals?
Over 4,000 chemicals in cigarettes??! Must be a better way surely?  

Its an extremely thin line to claim some are better for you Eddie, when ultimately, they all damage your health.
I agree there is too many chemicals.
I like you smoke roll ups, but need to quit again.
I like you enjoy, but always fall down that slippery path. Can go for a few years, then fall foul again.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am

Same here didge. I need to cut down a little, it's crept up. I smoke at night mainly in the garden freezing my arse off!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:19 am

eddie wrote:Same here didge. I need to cut down a little, it's crept up. I smoke at night mainly in the garden freezing my arse off!

Yeah, I never smoke in the house and go outside for the fresh air, to have a smoke.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 am

Thorin wrote:
eddie wrote:Same here didge. I need to cut down a little, it's crept up. I smoke at night mainly in the garden freezing my arse off!

Yeah, I never smoke in the house and go outside for the fresh air, to have a smoke.

lol!

Dodging the raindrops! Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 pm

I gave up smoking 30 odd years ago, if I can do it anyone can because I have zero will power.
To my eternal shame I smoked throughout my pregnancy and when my son was small, in the house and even in the car when he was with me.
The only defence I have is that the dangers of passive smoking was not known then, or if they were they were not publicised.
Its not much of an excuse though....common sense should have kicked in and it didn't.

Smoking has NOTHING going in its favour....give it up if you can.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:28 pm

I like smoking. Keeps me calm. I do have an e-cig though yet I'm not convinced they're any better apart from the fact they do liquids without nicotine.
Sugar is still the biggest killer in the western world. It causes untold problems yet that stuff is shoved in our faces constantly and there are no warning labels on packets of sweets and chocolate and bags of sugar!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm

eddie wrote:..............

Sugar is still the biggest killer in the western world. It causes untold problems yet that stuff is shoved in our faces constantly and there are no warning labels on packets of sweets and chocolate and bags of sugar!

Rolling Eyes

Utter bullshit there,  eddie...

While white sugar (sucrose) is one of the "big three --  white and deadly"  toxic food stuffs in modern Western(ised) diets --  along with animal fats and white flour  --  it is far from being "the biggest killer"..

Cigarette smoke is still the #1 killer in Western society --  lung cancer, oral and throat cancer, heart disease, strokes, brain tumours..

Fatty diets are the biggest nutrition problem -- ahead of too much refined sugars, and then too much refined flour (and too little fibre) --  with alcohol in fourth place.

Then come all of those unnecessary additives; along with pesticide, hormone, antibiotic and heavy metal residues..        Heartfelt Memories May Be More Effective Than Shaming to Help Smokers Quit 3922118137

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 pm

I did google it actually and it said heart problems and strokes and diabetes were all leading causes of death...due to sugar?
If I'm wrong then that's fine. Point still stands: there should be warning labels on sugar, don't you think?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:52 pm

eddie wrote:I did google it actually and it said heart problems and strokes and diabetes were all leading causes of death...due to sugar?
If I'm wrong then that's fine. Point still stands: there should be warning labels on sugar, don't you think?

Idea

No eddie, on your first points...

As I already pointed out above -- high fat diets lead sugar in the dietary stakes while cigarette smoking is also in the mix..

Then there's the genetics --  if you have the family history and the wrong genes, then you're likely to have a greatly increased risk (like around 2x to 6x, depending on the type of cancer or heart disease being looked at..).

And if you have cigarette smoke in your immediate environs, and/or excessive levels of animal fats, white sugar and/or white flour in your diet,  than your health risks also rise accordingly...

And yes, on your last point --  there should be warnings on processed foods, as to high levels of sugar,  and the associated health risks..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Ah ok Wolfie. Well they do have warning labels over here - and they're also colour-coded for quick reference:
RED high in fat/salt/trans fats etc
ORANGE - medium
GREEN - good

But my point is, they have all these horrific pictures and warnings on tobacco products so why not show these same horrifying facts on high-sugar products??
And perhaps STOP advertising them?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down