NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.

2 posters

Go down

the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.  Empty the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:44 am

Donald Trump's rise to power in the United States has politicians across the Western world scrambling to win back the "angry white male voter".

In Australia, there are vows to put "Australians first" and revive the manufacturing sector.

But some economists and employment experts are warning against mythologising industries such as car making in favour of other growing sectors that are facing looming skills shortages, such as health and aged care.

Figures from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) show Australia's jobs market is highly gender-segregated, and the situation has barely changed in the past 20 years.

Just one-in-ten nurses in Australia are male.

The problems are so entrenched a Senate inquiry into gender segregation in the workplace was called late last year, and is expected to report around the end of March.

WGEA director Libby Lyons said around 80 per cent of employees in health care and social assistance are female, and the gender divide appears to be deepening.

"Nearly 90 per cent of graduates entering that industry are women," Ms Lyons observed.

"So that would suggest to me that gender segregation is actually getting worse, that we are not encouraging young women to look to industries other health care and social assistance, and vice versa, we are not encouraging men to look at the more female-dominated industries - that are growth areas."

Andrew Jamieson worked in human resources in the mining and manufacturing sectors before joining aged care provider Benetas in Melbourne, where he is now Learning and Organisational Development Manager.

Mr Jamieson said the number of workers in the sector must be tripled over the next 20 years to meet the demands of an ageing population, and that means making aged care more appealing to all workers, especially men.

"We need a more diverse workforce, and men play an important role in that, especially if we're going to really meet the needs of our clients," he said.

While he was happy to move into the aged care sector, his decision was met with some surprise.

"There's a lot of deeply held assumptions about the roles of men and women, and that was my personal experience as well with how I saw my role in my family and work," he said.

"There were people who were surprised that I was moving into an environment that had a lot of nurses and women in other roles, and they were wondering why I would be doing that."

One well-known barrier to encouraging men into traditionally female jobs is concern about poor pay and conditions.

But over time, pay often rises in female dominated industries when more men start working in them, Ms Lyons said.

John Walsh, an early childhood educator at SDN Children's Services in Sydney, said he has been offered plenty of opportunities to further develop his skills since he joined the industry two-and-a-half years ago, and his gender has not been an issue.

Mr Walsh is the only male educator at his child care centre, and said his colleagues appreciate the different points of view he brings to the team, as well as the opportunity to give the children a male role model.

He has not received much overtly negative feedback on his decision to pursue a career in childcare, but some of the comments clearly reflect assumptions about the kind of work a man should be doing.

"I didn't feel there were any direct questions [about it], but there are times where people ask if I'll become a primary school teacher or a high school teacher, or 'do you want to own a centre?'" he said.

"I do have goals, but for the moment I just enjoy spending time with the children and working in the classroom and feel that I can learn a lot more by doing that."

Male proportion of workforce falls to 53.6pc

Since the global financial crisis, the male proportion of the workforce has fallen from just under 55 per cent in 2008, to 53.6 per cent last year, as jobs in industries like manufacturing disappear.

Independent economist Saul Eslake has warned of the risks of mythologising manufacturing in public debate as being somehow more noble than other types of work.

Mr Eslake said it is much harder to encourage displaced workers from sectors in structural decline to move into the services sectors that are creating jobs, if they are seen as women's work.

"Historically, manufacturing has been seen as providing long-term, stable jobs paying high wages to male bread winners, and the fact that our society has changed in many ways from that is unsettling for many people and I can understand that," Mr Eslake said.

"But the idea that you can somehow recreate patterns of employment based on how they were in the 1950s or 1960s would be very difficult to accomplish in practice, and couldn't be accomplished without considerable cost to the large majority of Australian consumers."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-10/men-entering-health-pink-collar-jobs/8258424
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.  Empty Re: the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:52 am

So if man can't find work in manufacturing then they need to consider other options..
Basically 'Man up and become a Nurse.'

And the story applies to all western nations, just got to accept the value of many traditionally male dominated industries has Dramatically decreased but the word faces and ever increasing need to medical and aged care professionals.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.  Empty Re: the rising need of Pink Collar Jobs.

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:59 am

Cool

Some Nurses and Teachers that I know around here are far better paid then what I am..
(And have two of them marry, and you have a pretty healthy 'family income'..).

And despite all of the talk about tradies in Sydney, Melbourne and around coal-mining regions earning well over $80k a year,  there will still be quite a few "out in the sticks" only earning between $50 and $60k a year..

Times have certainly changed over the last two or three decades.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:14 am

tradies can still do ok but they need to run their own business or do overtime etc.
and really only electricians and plumbers since councils generally require you use a certified tradie for water and electricity

Manufacturing is dead the idea (promoted by the likes of Trump and Tommy etc) that they can magic it back to 50 years ago when they could be given a job that paid enough to live for being menial labor is just stupid. they need to change and adapt to the modern world and the changing job market OR migrate to Bangladesh etc where they can find those menial labor jobs today.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 am

Idea

There will always be a place for smaller "niche" manufacturing businesses in most first world/advanced/developed countries --  those that operate (relatively) local to their markets,  usually in supplying higher-end custom, specialty, "craft" and technology markets...

These businesses tend to be small-and-medium sized workshops and factories -- employing skilled teams of tradesmen, TA/gophers and a handful of flexible/multi-skilled process & plant operators with varying degree of mechanised and automated production..

Doing a bit more with a lot less in manpower --  so that it is the menial and boring general labour/'cleaner'/production line jobs that are fast disappearing from Western countries.. --  where they could have once made up 60-70% of some large workforces, they are probably down to 10% or less in many places;  those jobs being "off-shored" into Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe..

There must always be a certain minimum proportion of "manufacturing sector"/"secondary industry" jobs in a healthy "mixed" economy (say, around 15-20%..), to maintain economic stability and national security --  otherwise in the long run, a country could find itself in deep doo-doo, and facing severe skilled labour/tradies shortages at some future date..          Arrow
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down