NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well!

4 posters

Go down

America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well! Empty America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well!

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:03 pm

America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well! 170130_r29354-690x533-1484862117
An armed guard stands at the entrance of the Survival Condo Project, a former missile silo north of Wichita, Kansas, that has been converted into luxury apartments for people worried about the crackup of civilization.

Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about: he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m fucked.”

Huffman, who lives in San Francisco, has large blue eyes, thick, sandy hair, and an air of restless curiosity; at the University of Virginia, he was a competitive ballroom dancer, who hacked his roommate’s Web site as a prank. He is less focussed on a specific threat—a quake on the San Andreas, a pandemic, a dirty bomb—than he is on the aftermath, “the temporary collapse of our government and structures,” as he puts it. “I own a couple of motorcycles. I have a bunch of guns and ammo. Food. I figure that, with that, I can hole up in my house for some amount of time.”

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. “When society loses a healthy founding myth, it descends into chaos,” he told me. The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated. “All these dudes think that one guy alone could somehow withstand the roving mob,” he said. “No, you’re going to need to form a local militia. You just need so many things to actually ride out the apocalypse.” Once he started telling peers in the Bay Area about his “little island project,” they came “out of the woodwork” to describe their own preparations, he said. “I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.”

In private Facebook groups, wealthy survivalists swap tips on gas masks, bunkers, and locations safe from the effects of climate change. One member, the head of an investment firm, told me, “I keep a helicopter gassed up all the time, and I have an underground bunker with an air-filtration system.” He said that his preparations probably put him at the “extreme” end among his peers. But he added, “A lot of my friends do the guns and the motorcycles and the gold coins. That’s not too rare anymore.”

Tim Chang, a forty-four-year-old managing director at Mayfield Fund, a venture-capital firm, told me, “There’s a bunch of us in the Valley. We meet up and have these financial-hacking dinners and talk about backup plans people are doing. It runs the gamut from a lot of people stocking up on Bitcoin and cryptocurrency, to figuring out how to get second passports if they need it, to having vacation homes in other countries that could be escape havens.” He said, “I’ll be candid: I’m stockpiling now on real estate to generate passive income but also to have havens to go to.” He and his wife, who is in technology, keep a set of bags packed for themselves and their four-year-old daughter. He told me, “I kind of have this terror scenario: ‘Oh, my God, if there is a civil war or a giant earthquake that cleaves off part of California, we want to be ready.’ ”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well! Empty Re: America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well!

Post by nicko Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 pm

They call them "Preppers" I believe.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well! Empty Re: America's wealthy elite appear to be preparing for the apocalypse. Sleep well!

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:59 pm

nicko wrote:They call them "Preppers" I believe.

Yeah, survivalists have been around forever, but they've always been kind of nutty and fringey. Now we've got the rich getting into it, and it makes me wonder what they know (or think they know) that the rest of us don't.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Ask The Bilderberg Group. They'll know when the world is ending.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:34 pm

I have a small hole in my garden, in the event of a nuclear war I shall jump in it and cover with a sheet of Asbestos, Any ladies on here are welcome to join me.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm

the asbestos will kill you nicko....... Shocked
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:14 am

I know, but only if you saw it or break it and breath in the particles.
The Radiation will kill you before the Asbestos does.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down