NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER

3 posters

Go down

Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER Empty Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

it’s no surprise that when Portland, Oregon, police posted a photo of a murder, it went viral ― even if it was a murder of crows. But really, what would you prefer to look at? Some grisly photo of a homicide, or this gorgeous shot of a murder of crows (that’s the traditional term for a group of crows) sitting atop snowy trees? 

That’s what we thought. 

The photographer was Walker Berg, a criminologist for the department’s forensic evidence division, and his striking image has received overwhelming praise on Facebook. While the large numbers of crows make for a cool, almost otherworldly photo, some Portland residents view the birds as a nuisance. In the winter, crows flock to downtown Portland in huge numbers before taking off in the spring. That means that for the colder months, part of the city is covered in crow droppings.This year, Portland has enlisted trained hawks and falcons to help scare the crows from the downtown area.

It’s unclear if the predator plan will work, since crows are notoriously smart. Like, “rivaling chimps” smart.
OK, so maybe we’re a little on Team Crow here. But we do feel bad for the people tasked with cleaning up their poop.

Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER 15894885_10153912483880904_1531005281129769086_n
Forensic Evidence Division Criminalist Walker Berg took this amazing photo from the 12th floor of the Justice Center. We're calling it "Crows on Snow." Taken with a Nikon D-700, ambient light, aperture mode, F16.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/portland-police-murder-photo_us_587fc448e4b0cf0ae881b575?section=us_good-news

Back to top Go down

Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER Empty Re: Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER

Post by nicko Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Crows are not frightened of Hawks, they are bigger or of equal size to them,and their beaks are like daggers. I saw one crow chase off a Buzzard with no problem.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER Empty Re: Police Share Stunning Photo Of A Winter Night’s MURDER

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:09 pm

nicko wrote:Crows are not frightened of Hawks,  they are bigger or of equal size to them,and their beaks are like daggers.    I saw one crow chase off a Buzzard with no problem.  

That would have been great to have captured on film Nicko

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Major, pretty sure they were Crows, never seen any Rooks near here for years. They came to the Crow call with no trouble, Bang !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Caution Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:22 am

I was downtown Portland last year when that photo was taken. I drove there after work to pick up a coat I left at a friend's house, but by the time I left, too much snow had already fallen from a storm and the roads out were all shut down. I had to wait until midnight before I could leave.

While I waited it out I took a walk around Portland State University, where the crows were. At one point they all took off from a tree, it was just as eerie as that photo is.

My brother works for a company that designs riding floor cleaners, one of which Portland bought for the sidewalks, dubbed the Poopmaster 6000.

It's too bad they've grown in number downtown to a point that they are a nuisance, because they're incredible little fellas, a real hoot to watch. They wash, bury, steal and share their food. There's a local family of 20 or so that get really excited when they see me walking to work and fly right over to me. If I wait a while before dropping a treat, they'll "whoosh" me to make sure I know they're there. Very polite though, unlike seagulls. Never been pooped on.

Oh and the hawks, yeah that isn't going to work. Crows are not afraid of them, they will mob them into nonexistence. Seen it myself!
Caution
Caution
the Ghost who mods, Lord of the Shadow realms, *may contain peanuts

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Usually one and a quarter ounce of no;6 shot will solve the problem !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down