NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser

+3
nicko
Syl
'Wolfie
7 posters

Go down

Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser Empty Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:57 am

Inside every mouse lurks a natural-born killer. Researchers have identified the brain region that controls hunting, and have found a way to switch it on and off.

Ivan de Araujo at Yale University and his team have discovered that two sets of neurons in the mouse brain underpin the instinct to kill. One coordinates the pursuit of prey, while the other controls the neck and jaw muscles used for biting. Both are in the amygdala – the part of the brain involved in motivation, emotion and fear.

By modifying these neurons so they could be activated by laser light, a technique called optogenetics, the team were able to switch these circuits on whenever they wanted. When the laser was off, the mice padded around their cages normally. But turning the laser on caused the mice to suddenly launch frenzied attacks on almost anything in their path: live crickets, fake insects or even sticks and bottle caps. After jumping on the “prey”, the mice grabbed it with their paws and repeatedly sunk in their teeth.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2117842-mice-turn-into-killers-when-brain-circuit-is-triggered-by-laser/

Back to top Go down

Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser Empty Re: Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser 3755771736

The key to producing robotically-motivated soldiers of the future ???

Reset the programming in their brain, and turn them into hardcore killers by remote control..

What a Face
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser Empty Re: Mice turn into killers when brain circuit is triggered by laser

Post by Syl Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Thorin wrote:Inside every mouse lurks a natural-born killer. Researchers have identified the brain region that controls hunting, and have found a way to switch it on and off.

Ivan de Araujo at Yale University and his team have discovered that two sets of neurons in the mouse brain underpin the instinct to kill. One coordinates the pursuit of prey, while the other controls the neck and jaw muscles used for biting. Both are in the amygdala – the part of the brain involved in motivation, emotion and fear.

By modifying these neurons so they could be activated by laser light, a technique called optogenetics, the team were able to switch these circuits on whenever they wanted. When the laser was off, the mice padded around their cages normally. But turning the laser on caused the mice to suddenly launch frenzied attacks on almost anything in their path: live crickets, fake insects or even sticks and bottle caps. After jumping on the “prey”, the mice grabbed it with their paws and repeatedly sunk in their teeth.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2117842-mice-turn-into-killers-when-brain-circuit-is-triggered-by-laser/

Scary, can you imagine if this was used on humans....it would be like the sci ifi film Terminator....only instead of a specific target everyone would be fair game.

I do suspect that every able human being has a 'kill gene'....luckily most of us are never in the position to activate it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:Inside every mouse lurks a natural-born killer. Researchers have identified the brain region that controls hunting, and have found a way to switch it on and off.

Scary, can you imagine if this was used on humans....it would be like the sci ifi film Terminator....only instead of a specific target everyone would be fair game.

I do suspect that every able human being has a 'kill gene'....luckily most of us are never in the position to activate it.

I agree it could be used to do great harm, but what about the flip side?
Where it can as stated be switched off?
Its still a dangerous precedent, but it could be a path that leads to societies that cease to have murder.
Hunters though would be a bit pissed at such a notion and would understand their reasons, but its not all doom and gloom this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm

I don't think you can mess about with the human brain in this way.
We have to have instincts to survive....if they were controlled or activated by a machine, it would imo cause more harm than good.
Many years ago I saw a sort of lobotomy performed on a woman who kept having violent outbursts. She had to be awake whilst the investigation into her brain was carried out, different parts of her brain were stimulated and she would show different emotions. When the 'anger' section was touched, the Dr's modified it in some way.

She was interviewed a year or so later, she was like a zombie.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Syl wrote:I don't think you can mess about with the human brain in this way.
We have to have instincts to survive....if they were controlled or activated by a machine, it would imo cause more harm than good.
Many years ago I saw a sort of lobotomy performed on a woman who kept having violent outbursts. She had to be awake whilst the investigation into her brain was carried out, different parts of her brain were stimulated and she would show different emotions. When the 'anger' section was touched, the Dr's modified it in some way.

She was interviewed a year or so later, she was like a zombie.

Fair points

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 pm

It is correct that every man has a "kill gene" but in a few it is buried very deep. For some, even if they are in danger of being shot by the enemy they cannot pull the trigger. I have seen men so shocked by the violence of battle that they "freeze" and allow themselves to be shot dead without making any effort to save themselves.

I had this "freeze" situation my self in Nam, I was 19 yrs old and it was my first experience of being under fire, one of my squad, on his second Tour had no problem shooting the VC thus saving my life. I never froze again and had no problem in shooting when needed.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 pm

nicko wrote:It is correct that every man has a "kill gene" but in a few it is buried very deep.   For some, even if they are in danger of being shot by the enemy they cannot pull the trigger. I have seen men so shocked by the violence of battle that they "freeze" and allow themselves to be shot dead without making any effort to save themselves.

I had this "freeze" situation my self in Nam, I was 19 yrs old and it was my first experience of being under fire,  one of my squad, on his second Tour had no problem shooting the VC thus saving my life. I never froze again and had no problem in shooting when needed.

Great post nicko... I have read that in ww1 and ww2, many soldiers in battle would shoot reluctantly and/or shoot to miss if forced to shoot at all...

Re the op... I think that maybe some of these 'animal research scientists' should be subject to the type of 'testing & experiment' that they are happy to inflict on other animals.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 pm

I imagine that has happened in every war, ever. People don't naturally want to kill one another -- sadly, those who do seem to find it easy to become powerful.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:43 pm

nicko wrote:It is correct that every man has a "kill gene" but in a few it is buried very deep.   For some, even if they are in danger of being shot by the enemy they cannot pull the trigger. I have seen men so shocked by the violence of battle that they "freeze" and allow themselves to be shot dead without making any effort to save themselves.

I had this "freeze" situation my self in Nam, I was 19 yrs old and it was my first experience of being under fire,  one of my squad, on his second Tour had no problem shooting the VC thus saving my life. I never froze again and had no problem in shooting when needed.

I suppose none of us actually know how we would react in a situation like this till we have lived it...most here have not, you have, great post. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Ben, it does become easier after you'v killed a few, I can't deny that, but after you'v done it and it's all quiet, you think that man could have had a Wife and Children or a Mother waiting at home for a son that will never come. But you always remember that that man would kill YOU in an instance if he had the chance, unless of course HE freezes.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Major.....No man knows for certain how he will act in that situation UNTIL he faces it.....

I THINK it wouldnt trouble me in the slightest...but I dont KNOW for sure....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 pm

nicko wrote:Ben, it does become easier after you'v killed a few,   I can't deny that,  but after you'v done it and it's all quiet, you think that man could have had a Wife and Children or a Mother waiting at home for a son that will never come. But you always remember that that man would kill YOU in an instance if he had the chance, unless of course HE freezes.

So terrible that we ever make people go through such a thing.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down