NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers.

3 posters

Go down

NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers. Empty NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers.

Post by Syl Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/29/surgeons-nhs-delay-treatment-obese-patients-smokers-york

"Surgeons have criticised Theresa May after she became the first prime minister to back an NHS organisation’s plans to ration treatment to patients who smoke or are significantly overweight.
The Royal College of Surgeons said Downing Street was endorsing an “arbitrary” scheme that would condemn people needing a new hip or knee to suffering pain for a longer period.

NHS patients told to lose weight and quit smoking or face operation delays
Read more

The college, which represents 14,000 surgeons in England, said the controversial money-saving policy in the Vale of York, which will force patients to wait up to a year for operations they require, would cost the NHS more in the long run.
“We are very disappointed that NHS England and No 10 seem to be backing this arbitrary policy, given emerging local NHS sustainability and transformation plans have yet to be given a chance to make planned short and long-term savings,” an RCS spokesman told the Guardian.
“Policies that target smokers and obese patients only delay patient care, and it is hard to see how it will ultimately save any money, as patients whose treatment is delayed will, in most cases, present later, often with even worse outcomes.”

Do you agree that people who in part have caused their own medical problems should be put at the back of the waiting list?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers. Empty Re: NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers.

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Well, I'd imagine it's not safe to operate on an obese person who smokes. Hence the need for them to lose weight and kick the habit.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers. Empty Re: NHS back plans to delay surgery on obese and smokers.

Post by eddie Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:01 pm

I can never quite agree with this type of "selection process".
On the one hand, I can see the argument for the OP, but really, my heart always says that it's absolutely unfair. Can you turn away helping someone because they're overweight? That's punishing a person for their condition and life choices when we don't know why they've gained all this weight - it could be due to depression, for instance.

I can't back this kind of thinking. It doesn't sit quite right with me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:11 pm

I can see it two ways...if people are not going to help themselves why should the NHS spend money on ops their own lack of will power has made necessary in the first place?

On the other hand where will it stop? apart from obesity and smoking, who else will eventualy be denied treatment. Damage caused by drinking, self harming, sports injuries, and so on.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down