NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tory Benefit Cap

+10
Andy
'Wolfie
JulesV
Victorismyhero
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
eddie
Tommy Monk
Syl
HoratioTarr
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Tory Benefit Cap Empty Re: Tory Benefit Cap

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:41 am

Britain is one of the most prosperous places on the planet - no-one should be left to suffer because of poverty - and especially not children who have no influence over the sorry state in which they might find themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:56 am

Major wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/3-worried-single-mums-tell-9209388

Is this fair.

It appears quite a few will suffer a financial loss and possibly their homes.

The problem here is that being a single mother is  a lifestyle choice for some of these people.   Where is the line drawn that people on benefits get more than people who work?   I've been a single mother, back in the 70s, when times were exceedingly hard, and I had to just get on with it.   It would be better to offer Government run nursery schemes to help get these women out to work.   The problem with being out of work for long periods is that you lose confidence and find it really hard to get out of the rut of not working.  

If you choose to bring children into the world purely as a means to live off benefits, then yes, it is fair.  But if, say, your husband/partner fucked off and left you holding the kids, then no, it's not fair.   But then life is rarely fair.  

So, what's the answer?   The country cannot go on and on paying for people to live on benefits their whole lives.  That's the reality.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Ziz wrote:Britain is one of the most prosperous places on the planet - no-one should be left to suffer because of poverty - and especially not children who have no influence over the sorry state in which they might find themselves.

I've been in a position of poverty myself at a time when there wasn't anywhere near the handouts available today. My child never went hungry, not once. I spent hours washing out terry nappies to save money, I walked everywhere and I didn't have a TV, or a Fridge, or a washing machine. In fact, I had fuck all. I lived very simply and ensured my money was managed. There were things we both had to do without, but nothing that would have killed us or been detrimental to our health. Sure, it was hard, but I didn't expect it to be anything else.

I knew people, had friends, who had more than one child who lived just as I did. We managed. It was hard, but we managed.

As for Britain being prosperous...well, not for most of us. Most people have to struggle by on a minimum wage. There shouldn't be people living on the streets, but there are. There shouldn't be pensioners dying of the cold each winter, but there are. The pot isn't bottomless.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:42 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Ziz wrote:Britain is one of the most prosperous places on the planet - no-one should be left to suffer because of poverty - and especially not children who have no influence over the sorry state in which they might find themselves.

I've been in a position of poverty myself at a time when there wasn't anywhere near the handouts available today.    My child never went hungry, not once.  I spent hours washing out terry nappies to save money, I walked everywhere and  I didn't have a TV, or a Fridge, or  a washing machine.  In fact, I had fuck all.   I lived very simply and ensured my money was managed.   There were things we both had to do without, but nothing that would have killed us or been detrimental to our health.    Sure, it was hard, but I didn't expect it to be anything else.  

I knew people, had friends, who had more than one child who lived just as I did.  We managed. It was hard, but we managed.

As for Britain being prosperous...well, not for most of us.   Most people have to struggle by on a minimum wage.  There shouldn't be people living on the streets, but there are.  There shouldn't be pensioners dying of the cold each winter, but there are.   The pot isn't bottomless.

I agree with everything you say in the two posts above.

People shouldn't be going cold and hungry, maybe some of them are because the money that is available is being paid out to people who deliberately work the system.
Whereas a couple of generations ago most families lived under one roof, nowadays many families are splintered and if each one is drawing housing benefits and various other benefits the cost is magnified.

I also think what is classed as poverty now certainly would not have been in the 50's 60's and 70's....peoples ideas of doing without has changed considerably.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:52 pm

People should not get more on benefits than those who are working.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:People should not get more on benefits than those who are working.

No they definitely should not, and it's laughable when people suggest that anyone who thinks they should are jealous and envious...it stands to reason.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:57 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I've been in a position of poverty myself at a time when there wasn't anywhere near the handouts available today.    My child never went hungry, not once.  I spent hours washing out terry nappies to save money, I walked everywhere and  I didn't have a TV, or a Fridge, or  a washing machine.  In fact, I had fuck all.   I lived very simply and ensured my money was managed.   There were things we both had to do without, but nothing that would have killed us or been detrimental to our health.    Sure, it was hard, but I didn't expect it to be anything else.  

I knew people, had friends, who had more than one child who lived just as I did.  We managed. It was hard, but we managed.

As for Britain being prosperous...well, not for most of us.   Most people have to struggle by on a minimum wage.  There shouldn't be people living on the streets, but there are.  There shouldn't be pensioners dying of the cold each winter, but there are.   The pot isn't bottomless.

If it is not possible in a rich country like Britain to house the homeless, feed the hungry or warm the aged then it's not possible at all - so let's just continue to accept the crumbs the controlling class give us without complaint - sorry I mentioned it. Tory Benefit Cap 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:01 pm

What about people who find themselves suddenly struggling, after a break up with their partner, and they have children to look after? They have to find a job around hours which can ensure they can pick up their children from school or find one that pays enough to pay for childcare.
I'm in that position and I am not on benefits simply because I am living off savings. I'm trying to retrain myself to get a qualification so that I can get a job.
It isn't easy.
So what if my money runs out? Should I not be entitled to anything?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:08 pm

eddie wrote:What about people who find themselves suddenly struggling, after a break up with their partner, and they have children to look after? They have to find a job around hours which can ensure they can pick up their children from school or find one that pays enough to pay for childcare.
I'm in that position and I am not on benefits simply because I am living off savings. I'm trying to retrain myself to get a qualification so that I can get a job.
It isn't easy.

My standard advice to anyone, whatever their situation, is to apply for whatever entitlements they are due. I have watched gov't officials spend more on a single lunch than a member of the underclass gets in a week on benefits. In short, don't be mug.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:17 pm

eddie wrote:What about people who find themselves suddenly struggling, after a break up with their partner, and they have children to look after? They have to find a job around hours which can ensure they can pick up their children from school or find one that pays enough to pay for childcare.
It isn't easy.

My own mum was in that position Eddie, raising two young children single handed, so I know from experience how hard it is.
There were no benefits in those days, my mum  worked cleaning jobs to get us by, and we lived in the kind of poverty that would be unthinkable in this country in this day and age.

Thank God there is help now, and only a fool would deny people help, but there has to be a line drawn. If people are living in sought after areas on benefits....they should move to less affluent areas, just as someone who lost their job would have to.....it stands to reason.

The government should provide more free child care and training courses to enable women to get back into work....schools could open extra hours providing activities, money should be spent in constructive ways, it would benefit society in the long run.

If people have several children expecting others to financially raise them, some benefits should be paid out in food and heating vouchers rather than cash.

People who breed like rabbits and swan off into the sunset (usually men) and have no intention of ever working  because their kids turn out to be nice little earners for them (usually women) should be castrated or sterilised.....ooops, did I say that out loud.  What a Face
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm

Ziz wrote:
It isn't easy.

My standard advice to anyone, whatever their situation, is to apply for whatever entitlements they are due. I have watched gov't officials spend more on a single lunch than a member of the underclass gets in a week on benefits. In short, don't be mug.

Yes I do keep getting told to seek help but...I like to do things my way.
I guess I should seek help at some point.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Syl wrote:
It isn't easy.

My own mum was in that position Eddie, raising two young children single handed, so I know from experience how hard it is.
There were no benefits in those days, my mum  worked cleaning jobs to get us by, and we lived in the kind of poverty that would be unthinkable in this country in this day and age.

Thank God there is help now, and only a fool would deny people help, but there has to be a line drawn. If people are living in sought after areas on benefits....they should move to less affluent areas, just as someone who lost their job would have to.....it stands to reason.

The government should provide more free child care and training courses to enable women to get back into work....schools could open extra hours providing activities, money should be spent in constructive ways, it would benefit society in the long run.

If people have several children expecting others to financially raise them, some benefits should be paid out in food and heating vouchers rather than cash.

People who breed like rabbits and swan off into the sunset (usually men) and have no intention of ever working  because their kids turn out to be nice little earners for them (usually women) should be castrated or sterilised.....ooops, did I say that out loud.  What a Face

That's what I'm saying, there are genuine people that aren't sitting around doing nothing and taking money from the government.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:24 pm

eddie wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Having pride is a great thing to have Eddie, but I agree with Ziz.
Rather than use up your savings accept financial help whilst you need it....you and your OH have paid into a system in the past and that system is designed to help people....so find out what you are entitled to and accept it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:27 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

That's what I'm saying, there are genuine people that aren't sitting around doing nothing and taking money from the government.

I don't think anyone is singling out genuine people when they talk of benefit scroungers. Tory Benefit Cap 2190311264
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Yes it's what I keep being told....I am rather using up money I shouldn't be.
I have a couple of little ideas up my sleeve though to make money.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:12 pm

No doubt you will be shouted down for bringing different races into this but.....it's rarer than hens teeth to see a young Asian girl with several children and no husband.
Yes the men spread themselves about....(often with underage white girls, but that's another matter) but the girls do not.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:21 pm

There are times when the level of debate descends beyond absurdity - this is one of them - so I for one will not be shouting anyone down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:27 pm

The problem with policing people on benefits is that the police have to be paid, too. So you can easily find yourself spending more on benefits + "benefits police" than you otherwise would have spent if you tolerated a certain level of abuse of the system.

We've had a few states try a version of this -- testing welfare recipients for drug abuse, and denying benefits to drug abusers -- and it was a pretty resounding failure:

In 2011, Missouri adopted a law to require screening and testing for all TANF applicants, and the testing began in March 2013. In 2014, 446 of the state’s 38,970 applicants were tested. Just 48 tested positive.

The budgeted cost for that year’s testing program was $336,297. And, according to numbers provided to ThinkProgress by a Missouri Department of Social Services spokeswoman, the first three years of the program will likely cost the state more than $1.35 million, including start-up costs.

More examples: https://thinkprogress.org/what-7-states-discovered-after-spending-more-than-1-million-drug-testing-welfare-recipients-c346e0b4305d#.ovkhdsyot

The problem is a lot like illegal immigration -- citizens see people abusing benefits or living in the country illegally, they know it's going on and it's not right. But the logistics of the government actually doing something to really address it are daunting, and perhaps unrealistic and unaffordable.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:28 pm

I agree with benefit caps. As the article says, there's a huge amount being paid out in housing benefit, and this is helping to keep rents high. In turn, that will help to keep house prices high because of people buying to let. It's not right that someone can get so much more than many people who work full time, and not lift a finger to earn it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:31 pm

It isn't easy.

The ex partner should be paying maintenance of some kind. If they have lost their job, that's a problem, but I suggest that women (and men) choose their partners more carefully and don't choose one who clearly has no intention of ever working, and then have children with them.

The lady in the article has five children. Well they didn't arrive on her doorstep - she chose to have them.

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:34 pm

eddie wrote:
Ziz wrote:

It depends on how much you have in savings. If you claim means tested benefits, you might not get them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Ziz wrote:

It depends on how much you have in savings. If you claim means tested benefits, you might not get them.

Yeah I heard that. It sucks.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:38 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Simply move any excess savings to someone you can trust - that's what the middle class do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:39 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It does suck because it penalises those who bothered to save rather than spend all their dosh on beer or whatever. On the other hand, is it fair for the tax payers to pay out benefits for someone who has their own money?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Ziz wrote:
eddie wrote:

Simply move any excess savings to someone you can trust - that's what the middle class do.

That would be dishonest, and would probably amount to benefit fraud.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ziz wrote:

It is neither - I am versed in these things. It's not dissimilar to tax avoidance rather than evasion - immoral perhaps, illegal no.

Last edited by Ziz on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

It does suck because it penalises those who bothered to save rather than spend all their dosh on beer or whatever. On the other hand, is it fair for the tax payers to pay out benefits for someone who has their own money?

No, but like you say it's skewed.
Many people live their lives or end up in older age relying on benefits because they have not had the discipline to plan ....they have probably had a more extravagant lifestyle than the people who have saved though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Ziz wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It is neither - I am versed in these things.

If someone transfers money in order to get benefits, they may well be found out and not get benefits.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ziz wrote:

If someone transfers money in order to get benefits, they may well be found out and not get benefits.

It's fiddling no matter which way you look at it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ziz wrote:

You believe what you wish to believe. Tory Benefit Cap 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Ziz wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You believe what you wish to believe. Tory Benefit Cap 2190311264

I don't think you should be encouraging anyone to do something so immoral, dishonest, and fraudulent.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It is not illegal to dispose of assets prior to claiming benefits - so it depends on how you define fiddling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:51 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

It is not illegal to dispose of assets prior to claiming benefits - so it depends on how you define fiddling.

Fiddling..cheating, cheating your fellow citizens, the ones who work hard for a living.
Also taking money away from others who will need it more than you do.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 pm

I won't be defrauding anyone guys! I get what Ziz is saying but I have a few ideas for a quick income.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's called deprivation of capital, and it may well affect your rights to benefits.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Money paid out in benefits is not never ending.

Eg...MIL is in hospital, she isn't ill but she is depriving someone who IS ill of a hospital bed....she is one of thousands.
Why?...because there is in this area an 8 MONTH WAITING LIST to provide her with the care she needs in a care facility that will suit her needs.

When people 'fiddle' their benefits they are depriving someone else the care they need.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Fiddling..cheating, cheating your fellow citizens, the ones who work hard for a living.

There is such a thing as "deliberate deprivation" which can impact upon a claim for subsidized residential care but as far as I know there is nothing iro other benefits.  If it's legal then it's legal - and there's no such concept as lawful fiddling, is there? Tory Benefit Cap 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

There is such a thing as "deliberate deprivation" which can impact upon a claim for subsidized residential care but as far as I know there is nothing iro other benefits.  If it's legal then it's legal - and there's no such concept as lawful fiddling, is there? Tory Benefit Cap 2190311264

Well it would be deliberate wouldn't it? You've just advised eddie to transfer her savings so she can claim benefits.

http://about.universalcredit.service.gov.uk/kms/Pages/Deprivation_of_savings_and_other_capital.htm
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ziz wrote:

It's called deprivation of capital, and it may well affect your rights to benefits.

I have done some checking, including the relevant regulations. You are right, the position has changed since I was involved in this area - fortunately for "my people" there are transitional arrangements which protect their position.

Regardless, I withdraw my advice to eddie, it is wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 pm

I have no time for benefit scroungers and cheaters. They may try to justify themselves by saying how little they take out compared to corrupts bankers, politicians etc....and that's true. But it's the poor sod in the middle who works hard and honestly that gets squeezed from both ends.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Syl wrote:I have no time for benefit scroungers and cheaters. They may try to justify themselves by saying how little they take out compared to corrupts bankers, politicians etc....and that's true. But it's the more bastard in the middle who works hard and honestly that gets squeezed from both ends.

If you seek to swindle you indulge in crime - I view tax and benefit cheats like any other criminals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Ziz wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I have done some checking, including the relevant regulations. You are right, the position has changed since I was involved in this area - fortunately for "my people" there are transitional arrangements which protect their position.

Thank you.

I think that for housing benefit or allowance, if you have more than £16,000 in savings, you can't get it, and if you have more than £6,000 it will be reduced. Not sure how much you can have before you're unable to claim income-based JSA or other benefits.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:I have no time for benefit scroungers and cheaters. They may try to justify themselves by saying how little they take out compared to corrupts bankers, politicians etc....and that's true. But it's the more bastard in the middle who works hard and honestly that gets squeezed from both ends.

If you seek to swindle you indulge in crime - I view tax and benefit cheats like any other criminals.

Glad to see you have had a change of heart from 5 minutes ago.....well done Ziz. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Glad to see you have had a change of heart from 5 minutes ago.....well done Ziz. Wink

Good try Syl - well, reasonable...

...but no change of heart - I did not advocate anything I knowingly knew to be criminal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

Good try Syl - well, reasonable...

...but no change of heart - I did not advocate anything I knowingly knew to be criminal.

Yes Ziz....I understand. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Thank you.

I think that for housing benefit or allowance, if you have more than £16,000 in savings, you can't get it, and if you have more than £6,000 it will be reduced. Not sure how much you can have before you're unable to claim income-based JSA or other benefits.

That's is my understanding too.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Who needs a citizens advice bureau when you have Rags, Ziz and Syl Ltd! cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

I read up on a Mumsnet discussion board....that seems to be what they were saying too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next