NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years

+6
Victorismyhero
Syl
nicko
magica
HoratioTarr
eddie
10 posters

Go down

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years Empty We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:48 pm

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years Img_5317

The closest full moon in the 21st century.

If you only see one astronomical event this year, make it the November supermoon, when the Moon will be the closest to Earth it’s been since January 1948.

During the event, which will happen on the eve of November 14, the Moon will appear up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than an average full moon. This is the closest the Moon will get to Earth until 25 November 2034, so you really don’t want to miss this one.

So how do you get a supermoon?

As NASA explains, because the Moon has an elliptical orbit, one side - called the perigee - is about 48,280 km (30,000 miles) closer to Earth than the other side (the apogee).

When the Sun, the Moon, and Earth line up as the Moon orbits Earth, that’s known as syzygy (definitely something you want to keep in your back pocket for your next Scrabble match).

When this Earth-Moon-Sun system occurs with the perigee side of the Moon facing us, and the Moon happens to be on the opposite side of Earth from the Sun, we get what’s called a perigee-syzygy.

That causes the Moon to appear much bigger and brighter in our sky than usual, and it’s referred to as a supermoon - or more technically, a perigee moon.

Supermoons aren’t all that uncommon - we just had one on October 16, and after the November 14 super-supermoon, we’ll have another one on December 14.

But because the November 14 Moon becomes full within about 2 hours of perigee, it’s going to look the biggest it has in nearly seven decades.

"The full moon of November 14 is not only the closest full moon of 2016, but also the closest full moon to date in the 21st century," says NASA. "The full moon won’t come this close to Earth again until 25 November 2034."

Depending on where you're viewing it from, the difference between a supermoon and a regular full moon can be stark, or difficult to tell. If the Moon is hanging high overhead, and you have no buildings or landmarks to compare it to, it can be tricky to tell that it's larger than usual.

But if you're viewing from a spot where the Moon is sitting closer to the horizon, it can create what's known as 'moon illusion'.

"When the moon is near the horizon, it can look unnaturally large when viewed through trees, buildings, or other foreground objects," says NASA. "The effect is an optical illusion, but that fact doesn’t take away from the experience."

http://www.sciencealert.com/we-re-about-to-see-a-record-breaking-supermoon-the-biggest-and-brightest-in-nearly-70-years
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years Empty Re: We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:51 pm

How Will the Super Moons Affect Your Life?

Full Moons generally provoke certain themes in our lives that have been gaining momentum during the weeks leading up to the Full Moon. These themes typically become more apparent during the three or four day period prior to the Full Moon as they approach a peak or release point. These themes could be so minor that you don’t notice them, or they could be significant life events that are easily recognizable, depending on other astrological variables.

These themes could present themselves through relationships or experiences or they could occur internally. Full Moons often represent a time of change, flux, and adjustment, which are often inspired by some sort of realization or an increase in consciousness. Full Moons are an excellent time to balance and integrate energies of the opposing signs or they could induce situations where they are at odds with one another.

The Extra Super Moon on November 14 will be a Super Full Moon in Taurus. Don’t forget about the December 14 Super Moon in Gemini as well. Even though the December Super Moon won’t come quite as close to Earth as the November 14 one, it will be miraculous for a different reason.

The Geminid meteor shower happens to fall on the same night as the December Super Moon. Even though the Geminid meteor shower usually dazzles viewers as it lights up the night sky, it may be overpowered by the bright moonlight. One thing’s for certain: These Super Moons will be two events you won’t want to miss, and even if you do, you may still notice the effects they have on your life!

Take charge of your life. Do what is right for you. Listen to your soul. Your soul holds your soul agreements. That is what you have come to do and with whom. What are you attracting? Do you like what you are attracting? If not, change yourself. You are your point of attraction. The energy you send out is the results you get back. Change your habits that are not working. Change your behavior. You will change your life for the better. You can love your life. You can love your work. What is holding you back? Who or What is in your way to your happiness?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years Empty Re: We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:15 pm

I'll bet a tenner, it's fucking cloudy that night.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Hahahaha HT.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:28 pm

H/T, you beat me to it!!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years Empty The Supermoon.

Post by Syl Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Has anyone managed to see anything?

I was looking forwards to seeing this spectacular moon....last one was 1948 and the next one will be 2036, so it might be the only chance some of us have. Crying or Very sad
Anyway....as someone predicted on here (but I cant find the thread) it's too cloudy to see anything. Rolling Eyes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/what-is-a-supermoon-and-when-can-i-see-the-largest-moon-in-70-ye/

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:30 pm

what super moon

ooowwwwwww

ooowwwwwwwww
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:33 pm

I saw it though haze a few minutes ago - it was super-ish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Yeah there was a thread somewhere wher we talked about the effect of the moon on the mind.
Ziz (I think) pointed out the words Lunar and lunatic were connected....which I had never thought of before.
If they are, the crime rate should shoot up tonight. Twisted Evil

Anyway....I can see nothing.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:40 pm

Syl wrote:Yeah there was a thread somewhere wher we talked about the effect of the moon on the mind.
Ziz (I think) pointed out the words Lunar and lunatic were connected....which I had never thought of before.

Well, loonies are not necessarily criminals - I'd watch out for an increase in werewolves though. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:Yeah there was a thread somewhere wher we talked about the effect of the moon on the mind.

Well, loonies are not necessarily criminals - I'd watch out for an increase in werewolves though. Shocked

Cue the old joke...I used to be a werewolf but I'm all right Now...oooooo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:52 pm

It was full last night and tonight it's at it's closest to the earth.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks Eddie, I knew there was a thread somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Have you managed to see the moon yet? It's already past it's best.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Just been outside and had a look

to say I'm underwhemed would be accurate...ok its a bit bigger than it usually looks but hardly comprises a "wonder of nature"
for all the hype I was expecting it to be 2" apparant diameter We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years 2794048296

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Just got back from walking my dog. It broke through the clouds and looked....... like the moon, but big.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Syl wrote:Thanks Eddie, I knew there was a thread somewhere but I couldn't find it.

It's foggy here. Pffffff.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:23 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Thanks Eddie, I knew there was a thread somewhere but I couldn't find it.

It's foggy here. Pffffff.

Typical.
It's not foggy here just cloudy. Last night though we were driving back from York (grandson is at uni there) when we got above Saddleworth the fog was so dense some people had actually pulled over in their cars, which was a bit stupid, but it was the worst I have seen.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:30 pm

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years Supermoon.jpg.CROP.original-original

Pretty impressive!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:52 pm

hAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Do you know how much I just actually fucking laughed at your name??? We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years 3489511464
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37978572

Too many to post. Fantastic pictures on the link.
I am in awe of the moon.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Got the curtains open, no cloud, apart from looking a bit brighter still looks same size.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:39 pm

I managed to see it at last through cloud. It didn't look any bigger than normal.
I think it peaked at around 5pm......I'm 6 hours too late.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:41 am

Nothing to see down here...         We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years 3758365944

It was too cloudy over much of NSW --  they had a direct feed from Qld on the TV news last night..

I have seen a couple of early morning moon settings (and rises, at other times..) in past years,  when driving to work --  when the moon actually did look bigger and pretty impressive for a little while, when it's just above the horizon..

Apparently the difference that so many Moon_watchers have been wetting themselves over so much this past week or two, is only an extra 12.7% or some such  ???

We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years 2708656666
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:15 am

I saw it -- the moon looked pretty bright, but not any bigger than usual.

I was like, "Cool -- that big rock that orbits our planet is reflecting a lot of light from the huge nuclear event going off in the middle of the solar system."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:09 am

BAE wrote:I saw it -- the moon looked pretty bright, but not any bigger than usual.

I was like, "Cool -- that big rock that orbits our planet is reflecting a lot of light from the huge nuclear event going off in the middle of the solar system."

Whatevs. Seems to have brought out your feminine side.....Bae. We’re about to see a record-breaking supermoon - the biggest in nearly 70 years 1069003512
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down