NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence?

4 posters

Go down

Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence? Empty Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence?

Post by eddie Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:56 pm

In the past two months, two children have died in dog attacks just 13 miles (21km) apart. One attack is being treated by police as a criminal inquiry while the second - thought to involve a police officer's pet dog - is not. When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal matter?

Four-month-old Archie Darby died after being attacked in Colchester last Thursday afternoon.

His brother - 22-month-old-Daniel - and his mother were also injured by the dog, understood to be of Staffordshire bull terrier-type.
It is also understood the dog - now destroyed - was owned by the children's aunt, a serving police officer.

Essex Police say the case "is not a criminal investigation and is not likely to be in the future".

Yet similar recent cases, such as that of three-year-old Dexter Neale, who was fatally attacked in Halstead, and 52-year-old lollipop man David Ellam, who was killed by a dog in Huddersfield, have resulted in criminal inquiries.

Why the difference?

It is a question that has sparked a debate on social media.

Tom Lloyd tweeted "even if a dog's got no history of aggression, surely the owner is responsible for the dog's actions?" while John Honeywell asked: "When is the killing of a baby by a dog not a criminal case? When the dog is owned by a policewoman."

Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence? Dog_bi10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37692140

This is a tough one, I don't see how an owner can be responsible in every case, for the behaviour of their dog? Isn't it the point that most dogs attack suddenly and without warning? You cannot predict if and when your dog may attack, surely most of these owners are as stunned as anyone else?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence? Empty Re: Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence?

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:30 pm

We need to start really hammering animal abuse for starters.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence? Empty Re: Dog attacks: When is a fatal dog mauling a criminal offence?

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Smile        IF an owner contributed to the dog's actions, then you might see a definite case for criminal action  ?

IF  the owner of a restricted or banned breed, or of a dog with a violent history, allowed said dog to attack someone, then he/she could possibly be liable for criminal neglect contributing to that attack  ?

However,  if a previously passive dog were to to attack someone,  it may be a long stretch to press "criminal" charges against the dog's owner, if that owner wasn't directly involved in that incident ?  Civi action against the owner would be a different and separate matter again..

Just personally,  I wouldn't like the idea of leaving a baby or a toddler unattended around many animals...          What a Face
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:08 pm

My view -- it is the responsibility of a dog owner to know how their dog reacts in every conceivable situation and to control the dog appropriately. I never let children interact with my dog without me being in full control of him.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 pm

I think it may also depend on the breed. Some breeds are renowned for being really good family dogs and very laid-back.
I don't think I'd ever consider a Staffie due to the fact that they lock their jaws and are incredibly strong, and they are a breed that I actually like.

Leaving babies and young children alone with a dog is just a no-no.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down