NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled Access

+7
'Wolfie
Syl
eddie
magica
nicko
Ben Reilly
Major
11 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Disabled Access Empty Re: Disabled Access

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Ideally it would be the job of the owner of commercial property to either construct buildings accessibly, or to retrofit. It is absolutely fair to expect businesses to accommodate the disabled, as disability can happen to anyone at any time and is not the fault of the individual who is disabled.

When you allow businesses to operate in ways that do not allow certain types of people to use them, aren't you creating different classes of citizenship?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:51 pm

I have to use a wheelchair quite often, my local shopping centre is great,all shops are wheelchair friendly and a lift is provided for access to upper floor'
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Many shops, buildings, supermarkets, even schools, have disabled access now and disabled toilets too.

When in some holiday places like Spain for example you don't see it, some hotels don't have a lift let alone a dropped kerb, but then people who want disabled friendly hotels wouldn't go there anyway. They would book a hotel that has all the requirements they need.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:16 pm

There are quite a few underground stations in London that don't have disabled access or of they do, they're in a bad state of repair.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:19 pm

They have lifts for wheelchairs, and also escalators. They do need modernising though, but its the cost. If they do it they will lump the charge on more money for tickets, the passengers will pay more.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:27 pm

magica wrote:They have lifts for wheelchairs, and also escalators.  They do need modernising though, but its the cost. If they do it they will lump the charge on more money for tickets, the passengers will pay more.

There are a lot of stations that have no wheelchair access to platforms.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf

Passengers have to call in advance and have an employee meet them with a boarding ramp.

I used a pram on the underground alot and I can tell you, a lot of stations are NOT easily accessible.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Yes they have to have a ramp put in place and on main line trains too. This is because the gap is too wide on mainline and no access onto tube aswell. Im sure though they will all update and have wheelchair access soon but they cant have ramps for prams unless they can fold down and then they might be heavy so they have to ask for ramp.

Many guards on the mainlines used to help with prams etc, but have been told they cant anymore, although many still do.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Major wrote:On TV this morning they showed someone complaining they had difficulty or impossibility to access buildings.

I have quite a few friends with businesses, for some it was not too expensive to get access improved but others just cannot afford to do so due to complications/ the enormity of the task.

Is it really fair to expect them to pay for the probs of someone else?

I believe in helping where it is relatively easy, not too expensive.

Example, installing a lift to go into a cellar for a pint would cost a fortune.

You have a very valid point Major. When my OH had black cabs, the law changed so that his cabs had to have wheelchair access....he had to pay to have the vehicles modified, and it was very expensive.

Now the newer Hackney cabs come with easy wheelchair access already designed, but I remember it was down to the driver/owner back then to foot the bill.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Up to now I can still drive, got my Advanced Driver Certificate 2 years ago. [don't like to boast though]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Smile

IF a service business such as a shop, cafe, pub, restaurant, doctors or accountants office, etc.  wants to be seen as a good, responsible and reliable business, than they need to have decent public access to their premises...

IF any such business wants to claim that they "can't afford" to provide adequate customer access, then I would have to question (a) the viability of that business;  and (b) the ethics, morals and general business acumen of that business's owner/operator..         Disabled Access 1399249160

Some people simply shouldn't go into business for and by themselves --  some types of people are meant to only ever be employees..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

IF a service business such as a shop, cafe, pub, restaurant, doctors or accountants office, etc.  wants to be seen as a good, responsible and reliable business, than they need to have decent public access to their premises...

IF any such business wants to claim that they "can't afford" to provide adequate customer access, then I would have to question (a) the viability of that business;  and (b) the ethics, morals and general business acumen of that business's owner/operator..         Disabled Access 1399249160

Some people simply shouldn't go into business for and by themselves --  some types of people are meant to only ever be employees..

Completely agree.   Contrary to some opinions, many disabled people work and pay taxes, and even if they don't that is through no fault of there own.   If we can't help disabled people to gain access to places everyone takes for granted, we don't have the right to call ourselves civilised.   Those who resent it should be bloody well ashamed of themselves, selfish to the core.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:06 pm

It's common sense. A business should want to provide access. How else do they do business?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Exactly, there are a lot of disabled people, to stop them entering your business simply doesn't make economic sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 pm

When they build new houses now they build the downstairs hallways wider, and they also provide either a wet room on the ground floor, or a toilet big enough to turn into a wet room. I live in one.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm

I live in a new build btw, not a downstairs wet room.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:40 am

Major wrote:
sassy wrote:Exactly, there are a lot of disabled people, to stop them entering your business simply doesn't make economic sense.

YES, it does make economic sense not to do it or they would do it.

Some disabled cannot cope with stairs for several reasons which is NOT the fault of the business owners, those who want these special concessions do not have a clue as to some of the expenses involved and the inconvenience of having to temporary close down to install a lift or special toilet.
Has anyone considered the cost of an architect to draw up plans for council planning and the cost of planning application and more than likely an appeal?

Installing a ramp is one thing, a lift is entirely different.

Again it is a case of people pretending to know and do not, like eddie posted about.

BTW big business can afford it mostly, the little guy can't mostly.

Eh? What did I post about? scratch
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 pm

This is surely a business issue. A small firm/shop/cafe can't necessarily make alterations just for disabled people - those in wheelchairs, for example. I'm sure there are plenty of other places they can go.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 pm

sassy wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

Completely agree.   Contrary to some opinions, many disabled people work and pay taxes, and even if they don't that is through no fault of there own.   If we can't help disabled people to gain access to places everyone takes for granted, we don't have the right to call ourselves civilised.   Those who resent it should be bloody well ashamed of themselves, selfish to the core.

It's simply not practical for some businesses. For example, if a business is up some stairs and there's no lift, they can't be expected to install one, even if they were allowed to.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm

load of bollocks...

firstly the disability act has allowances , in as much as its only required whre it is "reasonably" practical to make any such alteration.
Secondly grants are available to help with costs
Thirdly any costs are ofsettable against tax ...not just for ONE but for I beleive 3 years, as such costs would come under the capital allowences rules....

If it isnt "reasonably practical" to adapt your building ...you cant be made to...
if its unreasonably costly (in relation to your business profits) again its not "reasonably practical"....

the disability act is NOT an absolute law....

Oh and major........since when have I basemented anyone purely for their views on a topic?

I didnt think you could provide an example......so stop being a silly billy, and grow a pair.....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Lord Foul wrote:load of bollocks...

firstly the disability act has allowances , in as much as its only required whre it is "reasonably" practical to make any such alteration.
Secondly grants are available to help with costs
Thirdly any costs are ofsettable against tax ...not just for ONE but for I beleive 3 years, as such costs would come under the capital allowences rules....

If it isnt "reasonably practical" to adapt your building ...you cant be made to...
if its unreasonably costly (in relation to your business profits) again its not "reasonably practical"....

the disability act is NOT an absolute law....

Oh and major........since when have I basemented anyone purely for their views on a topic?

I didnt think you could provide an example......so stop being a silly billy, and grow a pair.....

They wouldn't get the whole amount back via offsetting it against tax though. Some buildings just aren't suitable for providing access such as lifts anyway - they take up quite a bit of room, and it would be a large undertaking. The UK is full of old buildings where such a thing would be impractical. I think that disabled people know the best places to go in their area - where there are no stairs, or there's a wide door, or whatever.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm

yeah yeah....

piffle piffle....

"Whatever" as my little granddaughter would say.."whatever"
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Ideally it would be the job of the owner of commercial property to either construct buildings accessibly, or to retrofit. It is absolutely fair to expect businesses to accommodate the disabled, as disability can happen to anyone at any time and is not the fault of the individual who is disabled.

When you allow businesses to operate in ways that do not allow certain types of people to use them, aren't you creating different classes of citizenship?
it certainly should not be a problem for new builds, but in blighty we often have properties that can be a hundred or even 2 hundred or more years old and they may well not be easily made wheel chair accessible.
Also in britain almost every garden shed is a listed building these days and you have to go through massive amounts of red tape to even paint a front door, let alone alter the structure of the property.

if a business is inundated with disabled people wanting to use it then they would no doubt find a way to accommodate them.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down