NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To floss or not to floss.

4 posters

Go down

To floss or not to floss. Empty To floss or not to floss.

Post by Syl Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:45 pm

I have been to the dentist today, as usual he bangs on about flossing.....I do, but not as often as he says I should.

The latest advice from American dentists is that flossing doesn't really help teeth.

Generally Americans seem more obsessed with perfect teeth than Brits, at least that's the popular theory......so.....do you floss, do you look after your teeth well....do you even have any?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

To floss or not to floss. Empty Re: To floss or not to floss.

Post by Syl Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:49 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/08/02/flossing-teeth-does-little-good-and-us-removes-it-from-health-ad/

The NHS is to review guidance on flossing your teeth after health officials in the US quietly dropped the recommendation, admitting that there is no scientific evidence to show it works.

Current NHS guidance recommends flossing once a day but that is due to be reviewed in January.

The review will look at a US investigation, published this week, which found there is no proof that flossing prevents gum disease or stops cavities.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:49 pm

I have no fillings and have never had fillings - don't know if that's down to good hygiene or good dental genes or the fact I've never drank fizzy or sweet drinks....who knows?
I don't floss as often as I should. After seeing the dental hygienist - who's a friend - I am usually good for about 6 weeks then I sort of give it all up for a while. Then I get a bit OTT and floss like mad....you get the gist Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:07 pm

eddie wrote:I have no fillings and have never had fillings - don't know if that's down to good hygiene or good dental genes or the fact I've never drank fizzy or sweet drinks....who knows?
I don't floss as often as I should. After seeing the dental hygienist - who's a friend - I am usually good for about 6 weeks then I sort of give it all up for a while. Then I get a bit OTT and floss like mad....you get the gist Rolling Eyes

I do' I'm a bit the same, I clean my teeth 2 sometimes 3 times a day, that to me is important...morso than flossing or rinsing with mouth wash.
I do have some fillings courtesy of a really bad dentist when I was growing up who filled for fun. His name was Mr Miller..his patients aptly dubbed him Miller the killer.
My dentist today (had him for 30 years) is brilliant, and apart from having to occasionally refill the originals (that should never have been filled in the first place) I have no trouble with him at all.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't understand flossing. I can't get floss between my teeth, and a toothbrush seems adequate to me anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 pm

The waxed floss is easier to use, I have the same problem though. Your teeth must be close together.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 pm

You're supposed to have a tiny gap between teeth and the reason you may not be able to get a flossing string between teeth is probably due to plaque.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:24 pm

eddie wrote:You're supposed to have a tiny gap between teeth and the reason you may not be able to get a flossing string between teeth is probably due to plaque.

It's nothing to do with plaque. If you can get floss in there, you can get the bristles of a toothbrush in there as well, so there's no need for floss. I think that floss probably damages your teeth and gums.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Syl wrote:I have been to the dentist today, as usual he bangs on about flossing.....I do, but not as often as he says I should.

The latest advice from American dentists is that flossing doesn't really help teeth.

Generally Americans seem more obsessed with perfect teeth than Brits, at least that's the popular theory......so.....do you floss, do you look after your teeth well....do you even have any?

I use interdental brushes and a water flosser.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 pm

eddie wrote:You're supposed to have a tiny gap between teeth and the reason you may not be able to get a flossing string between teeth is probably due to plaque.

I have a couple of teeth I just can't get floss or an interdental between,, but my hygienist gets into that for me. But a very high percentage of people don't even know they have gum disease. It's very very common.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 pm

It is entirely possible that the government were getting huge big profits from their shares in the floss industry and therefore made all Americans scared to do anything other than floss.
Big money when you got people scared.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down