NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously)

+3
eddie
HoratioTarr
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Empty Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously)

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:56 pm

... the Omnibus survey reveals that 54% of Pokémon Go players have left their house to play the game at times when they normally would have stayed indoors. Furthermore, 40% have gone out of their way to catch the little creatures and other items found in the virtual world, while 30% have engaged in conversation with strangers also playing the game. On a more cautious note, about a fifth of users admit they've either accidentally walked into another person or bumped into an inanimate object.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/07/18/its-official-pokemon-go-getting-people-outside/

My take is that Pokemon Go is basically like walking your dog, but with less urine.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Empty Re: Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously)

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:57 pm

I think people need to get a life.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Empty Re: Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously)

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:00 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I think people need to get a life.

Enter Pokemon Go, tricking people into getting a life!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:00 pm

I just said to my son
"I need to pop to the supermarket to get some coleslaw can you watch your sister for me?"
He says "I'm going out" (he'd just got in)
I say "Where you going?"
He says "In the garden - there's a Pokemon out there"

He ended up having to go to the local park and came back all pleased with himself.

What an idiot Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 pm

eddie wrote:I just said to my son
"I need to pop to the supermarket to get some coleslaw can you watch your sister for me?"
I say "Where you going?"

He ended up having to go to the local park and came back all pleased with himself.

That's a beautiful thing. I think it's great that the industry that drove people into indoor isolation is reversing that trend Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I suppose so..... We went out for dinner the other night, and he said there was one on the table.
I think it drank all my wine. Suspect
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:08 pm

eddie wrote:I suppose so..... We went out for dinner the other night, and he said there was one on the table.
I think it drank all my wine. Suspect

Forunuz ...

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:10 pm

There's concern about safety in some quarters. 'Look, look, I've found me elusive Pokeman hidin--- SPLAT!

I wonder how long before a PaedoPoke gets hacked into the system.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:11 pm

I used to hate South Park but started to catch it when my son got into it and now I think it's really clever actually.
Still prefer the Simpsons. I simply love Homer and would marry him if I could.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:11 pm

eddie wrote:I used to hate South Park but started to catch it when my son got into it and now I think it's really clever actually.

I'm more a Family Guy kinda gal
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:14 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:I used to hate South Park but started to catch it when my son got into it and now I think it's really clever actually.

Seriously good too. I tell ya, no one does these things like the Americans.

Futurama wasnt great though, well I say wasn't great because I was determined not to like it because I was a homer fan, but it was pretty clever.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:17 pm

eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Futurama wasnt great though, well I say wasn't great because I was determined not to like it because I was a homer fan, but it was pretty clever.

It took me a while to get my brain to stop yelling THIS IS NOT THE SIMPSONS when I watched Futurama. Once that happened, I loved it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

It took me a while to get my brain to stop yelling THIS IS NOT THE SIMPSONS when I watched Futurama. Once that happened, I loved it.

Same. I was like a kid and sulked all the way through the first few episodes going "Pffff well it's alright I s'pose...."
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
I say "Where you going?"

That's a beautiful thing. I think it's great that the industry that drove people into indoor isolation is reversing that trend Smile

Nothing or nobody drove them into indoor isolation except themselves.

As long as they don't make too much noise, I suppose it's good they decided to get out more.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
I say "Where you going?"

As long as they don't make too much noise, I suppose it's good they decided to get out more.

I didn't mean they did it intentionally, but it's widely acknowledged that the Internet and video games have caused people to get out less and interact less with others.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:45 pm

"As long as they don't make too much noise"

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 3489511464
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I didn't mean they did it intentionally, but it's widely acknowledged that the Internet and video games have caused people to get out less and interact less with others.

They caused that themselves by not modifying their internet use.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

eddie wrote:"As long as they don't make too much noise"

Yes! Why do children have to scream and shout all the time? They should do that in their own homes.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Sorry, Counselor McBeal, I meant that that the internet and video games have led to more isolation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Sorry, Counselor McBeal, I meant that that the internet and video games have led to more isolation.

No, people led themselves to become isolated. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You remind me of this b.s. book I browsed when I was a kid, that said that while a guy might say, "She really turns me on," it would be more correct to say, "I really turn myself on when she's around." Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You remind me of this b.s. book I browsed when I was a kid, that said that while a guy might say, "She really turns me on," it would be more correct to say, "I really turn myself on when she's around." Rolling Eyes

It's the "right wing" attitude in me - people are responsible for their own behavior, and they shouldn't look around for anyone else to blame if they decide to stay indoors on the internet all the time. Blaming others is a leftie thing. Cool
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 pm

I think there is a middle ground though raggs, people should be responsible for themselves, but there can be an overwhelming effort by companies to get people to behave a certain way (drink or eat unhealthy things, stay in a play games etc), and they spend a lot of money to ensure people do.

As for Pokemon Go, not my thing but it gets gamers outside, and the risk is little more than that posed by the Facebook app.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Image128
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
... the Omnibus survey reveals that 54% of Pokémon Go players have left their house to play the game at times when they normally would have stayed indoors. Furthermore, 40% have gone out of their way to catch the little creatures and other items found in the virtual world, while 30% have engaged in conversation with strangers also playing the game. On a more cautious note, about a fifth of users admit they've either accidentally walked into another person or bumped into an inanimate object.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/07/18/its-official-pokemon-go-getting-people-outside/

My take is that Pokemon Go is basically like walking your dog, but with less urine.

I think it might be invented by dogs... to get more walks Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 1763903427 Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 1763903427 Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 1763903427
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:42 pm

I started palying this a few days into the fad, cause a few friends and work mates were playing. specifically a few work mates said they were going to follow me on my lunch time walk to catch pokemon. Figured I may as well play too.

the idea that you are got go in some yard etc seems a bit bullshit there is a 30metre radius on screen and you tap the pokemon when it gets in this radius, you cant see it until it does. as for walking into traffic etc only as much as answering text message or looking a facebook.

I walk a lot anyway so for me it hasn't changed my routine a lot although i did vary the path i take my dogs to maximise the number of pokestops I could pass. Wink
But some people huge difference a couple of my work mates would normally walk to the pub on friday, which is about a quater the distance of a poke-walk, but you never see them take a walk otherwise.

In saying that, the game play is pretty basic and there is not a lot of skill involved, overall it is only average it is quite linar progression and it is quite geared towards whoever spends the most time/money in the game will win.
As a game I'd give it 5 out of 10, as a walking/urban exploring motivator i'd say 8 out of 10 for normal people and 10 out of 10 for poke-fans.

I have a ZombieRun one that is better for motivating but no game invilved. Pokemon is better than Ingress (the original game by this company that pokemins GPS aspect is based on) it is similar but more 'game' involved in pokemon. But Still it could easily be improved if there was more involving game play. ( i can see this poke-fad dying back)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Ohh and despite the ads suggesting camping etc. there is bugger all out of populated areas the pokemon spawning algorthm is based on cellphone usage so more cell phone users more pokemon Suspect Suspect Suspect
which sort of sucks, I wish there was a spin off (the pokemon part isn't import to me) that takes some of these ideas and make a better game and one that is reversed so encourages bushwalking etc.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:19 am

'LET THERE BE IDIOTS' and SHAZAAAM ~~~

Two Pokemon Go players fall off a cliff, while two more are shot at

Geek · 5 hours ago
Two men hunting for Pokemon were ... sign and then a Do Not Cross sign near a cliff edge. The inevitable happened: …

Unbelievable; these are people in their mid 20's well into their mid 30's that grew up with those stupid 'Pokémon Cards' ...now their outside all right ...walking around - not paying attention to traffic - cliffs - trespassing!

Guess, I missed all of that crazy crap; busy working and paying bills - never collected those 'Pokémon' anything and my son wasn't interested in them either.  Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 1858517897

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:54 am

4EVER2 wrote:'LET THERE BE IDIOTS' and SHAZAAAM ~~~

Two Pokemon Go players fall off a cliff, while two more are shot at

Geek · 5 hours ago
Two men hunting for Pokemon were ... sign and then a Do Not Cross sign near a cliff edge. The inevitable happened: …

Unbelievable; these are people in their mid 20's well into their mid 30's that grew up with those stupid 'Pokémon Cards' ...now their outside all right ...walking around - not paying attention to traffic - cliffs - trespassing!

Guess, I missed all of that crazy crap; busy working and paying bills - never collected those 'Pokémon' anything and my son wasn't interested in them either.  Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 1858517897

Wow so Blaming pokemon cause a psycho started shooting at them. some people have pretty fucked up concept of what caused the problem, to suggest the fucking murder tool firing pieces of metal that in the hands of an idiot is not the problem Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

and the cliff thing makes No sense, the game does NOT make you walk up to the Pokemon!!! it's like 90% of these articles haven't even looked at the game at all and just repeating the marketing. Repeat the GAME DOES NOT MAKE YOU CHASE ANYTHING. if it appear on screen you can stand still. And you have no way of knowing if a pokemeon is in any direction. You just walk the further you walk (can be a circut around a park) the more likely a pokemon will appear. even the poke-stops and Gyms are set location like statues etc that do NOT move, you just need to be within 30 metres (100 feet) of them and you can tap on them on screen.

Unbelievable what the Braindead Obsolete fools beleive on TV.. cause lord knows and old person is too lazy to spend a few minites downloading and looking for themsleves Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:57 am

veya_victaous wrote:Ohh and despite the ads suggesting camping etc. there is bugger all out of populated areas the pokemon spawning algorthm is based on cellphone usage so more cell phone users more pokemon Suspect Suspect Suspect
which sort of sucks, I wish there was a spin off (the pokemon part isn't import to me) that takes some of these ideas and make a better game and one that is reversed so encourages bushwalking etc.

This genre's still in its infancy -- the only game like it I'd heard about before was Ingress (thanks, jadedfox) and the possibilities are still endless. I'd like to see one that combines the outdoor questing with geocaching somehow -- that would probably have to use a lot more player involvement. You could also have clue-gathering mysteries, simple trivia contests, races, multiplayer scenarios, etc.

There's one in development called "Run Your Empire" where you basically conquer and defend the turf along your running/walking route, sounds promising.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:14 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:Ohh and despite the ads suggesting camping etc. there is bugger all out of populated areas the pokemon spawning algorthm is based on cellphone usage so more cell phone users more pokemon Suspect Suspect Suspect
This genre's still in its infancy -- the only game like it I'd heard about before was Ingress (thanks, jadedfox) and the possibilities are still endless. I'd like to see one that combines the outdoor questing with geocaching somehow -- that would probably have to use a lot more player involvement. You could also have clue-gathering mysteries, simple trivia contests, races, multiplayer scenarios, etc.

There's one in development called "Run Your Empire" where you basically conquer and defend the turf along your running/walking route, sounds promising.
Frankly, this all needs to be tied up neatly in a combined package of 'Pokémon & Walking Dead'; let the 'Pokémon' bounce right back off the screen to become a zombie/brain eating-blood thirsty Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Bloody-zombie-smiley-emoticon  that can't be killed until the moron holding his IPAD takes a sledge hammer to it and destroys the IPAD to smithereens! 
Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 am

I've got to say that the guy who walked off a cliff would've walked off a cliff anyway. He sounds like a complete arse.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 am

according to the linkeddie wrote:I've got to say that the guy who walked off a cliff would've walked off a cliff anyway. He sounds like a complete arse.
According to the link - both of those dumb arse's went over; one just fell further down the face of the cliff then his buddy did Suspect    LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:38 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
according to the linkeddie wrote:I've got to say that the guy who walked off a cliff would've walked off a cliff anyway. He sounds like a complete arse.
According to the link - both of those dumb arse's went over; one just fell further down the face of the cliff then his buddy did Suspect    LOL

You know, generally speaking, if you're walking near a cliff you should keep your eyes peeled for edges of said cliffs.....pair of arses Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:53 pm

eddie wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

You know, generally speaking, if you're walking near a cliff you should keep your eyes peeled for edges of said cliffs.....pair of arses Rolling Eyes

Let's try to show a little compassion and understanding ... chances are the only time they ever got outside before was walking from a building to a car or vice-versa.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:56 pm

True. They were probably blinded by the natural light.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 am

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) MnySLMt
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:43 am

veya_victaous wrote:Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) MnySLMt

+1,000,000,000,000you get the idea
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 am

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Image132
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:44 am

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Image133
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:15 am

All of those images are  Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 371740092 good  Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) 3406909858 for sharing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:28 am

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Pokemon-Go-Meme-8-265x198
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:06 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Pokemon-Go-Meme-8-265x198

it's not like that except at the Gyms and even then it depends what team.

So, now I will tell you the Story of why Team Yellow are Honourless scum.

On saturday i was at a popular resturant strip by the river (Parramatta)
with a friend and long story short there was a Pokemon event near where we where having dinner so we went to it too.
(it was actually a lot of Fun, well over 100 people playign togehter)
there was a blue held gym near the event and there was a family with young kids includng a boy in a wheelchair
they happened to be team Red (the team i'm on) so about half a dozen players fromt he red team came over and started to fight the gym too so the kid in the wheelchair could get his pokemon in the gym.
So about 20 Minites and dozens of pokemon dead the Gym is finally down and a spot is open take it over.
there are Cheers as the boy goes to load his pokemon in (he was really happy, he probably wouldn't have been able to take it by himself)

Then Just moments Before he could a Team Yellow Dog that had been waiting around the edges for the moment put their pokemon Instead!!

so the moral of the story is
Don't join team Yellow they Steal from kids in Wheelchairs.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:55 am

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) TrO87DC
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:29 am

I heard on the news {while I was outside this evening} some poor schmuck {Asian Kid} was so busy playing his 'Pokeman' on his cell phone as he traveled to the 2016 Olympics in Rio - the dude completely forgot about the 'ROAMING CHARGES' and he's whining big time about his $4,000. dollar phone bill and it's not quite been a full month ...so he'll have those charges from the end of July and the recent ones for the first of August!  affraid
Some parents had best be paying attention to their little darlings and the contractual time for those Ipad/Cell Phones and all that fun time chasing down those active little 'Poke People Thingy's'  No

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:56 am

Yeah I think he is making it up. Or has a real 'screw over' of a phone plan

the App is suprisingly effienct on Data, drains the battery like crazy though
over about 3 weeks leaving pokemon on atleast 10 hour on week day (on while at work)  it has used 688MB which is not much.

Here there has been a few media articles Claiming 'pokemon caused' but in the details it ends up being irelvant, like the "girl killed playing pokemon go" headline used for a girl that did play but wasn't at the time, and was struck by a hit and run driver while legally using the pedestrian crossing. In other words "Girl killed by hit and run driver"
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:01 am

and so far clocked over 110km walking in game, this game is clearly giving me advantages for Walking further than most players.

It is A very cleverly disguised exercise app.
the only problem is one of my Collegues has basically quit playing after working out that fact. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
And he is the sort that could really use anything that gets him exercising.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:26 am

My favorite radio station has a guy with the thickest Texan accent you can imagine doing the promos. For their battle of the bands contest, he's been talking about how "contestants are dropping like Pokeman in Sundance Square." These people know it's "Pokemon," he's just playing dumb Smile

btw, here's Sundance Square, named after the Sundance Kid

Pokemon Go is transforming American society (seriously) Blog17
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next