NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Empty OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Right generally I dont watch TV.

However Sherlock pulled me in when it first started - and having just watched the end of the last episode I can only conclude it is awesome and twistier than something really twisty. Yep we all saw the Mary thing coming but that ending? Not to mention the other twists that always appear in it - mostly only little ones that just mean the story changes in unexpected ways even when you are expecting a change.

Hands up who else loves it?

Back to top Go down

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Empty Re: OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Shouldn't this be in the recreational section?

I've watched two episodes now, think they are trying too hard to be clever, so busy with all the 'effects' of what he is thinking etc, the actual story never draws you in. My test of a good thriller is if it can get you so involved you forget where you are. Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Empty Re: OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Sassy wrote:Shouldn't this be in the recreational section?

I've watched two episodes now, think they are trying too hard to be clever, so busy with all the 'effects' of what he is thinking etc, the actual story never draws you in.   My test of a good thriller is if it can get you so involved you forget where you are.   Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

...Aye, get out the road Sphinx, yer blocking the view! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 pm

I believe at the moment the series is UK only - at least the latest episodes. Most of the people I have spoken to from different countries are not familiar with it so I put it in UK.

Sorry if I have pissed people off I was happy and enjoying myself and thought it would be good to share it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm

sphinx wrote:I believe at the moment the series is UK only - at least the latest episodes.  Most of the people I have spoken to from different countries are not familiar with it so I put it in UK.

Sorry if I have pissed people off I was happy and enjoying myself and thought it would be good to share it.

No worries Sphinx, it doubt anyone is actually pissed off!, my post was done in total jest!...

Sherlock! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Well it would be nice to share something that people enjoy - did you see tonights episode?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 pm

sphinx wrote:I believe at the moment the series is UK only - at least the latest episodes.  Most of the people I have spoken to from different countries are not familiar with it so I put it in UK.

Haven't pissed me off in the least, just there are things in recreation that are only pertinent to America and Ben or whoever does them just puts and explanation in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 pm

sphinx wrote:Well it would be nice to share something that people enjoy - did you see tonights episode?

..I've not been watching it Sphinx, I'm more for Columbo!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:46 pm

OK the twist at the end of tonight was brilliant - just as we had thought it was all over and were discussing the what how when of it coming back it threw in a twist that nobody in my house saw coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 pm

sphinx wrote:OK the twist at the end of tonight was brilliant - just as we had thought it was all over and were discussing the what how when of it coming back it threw in a twist that nobody in my house saw coming.

Only started watching after you and FTL said how good it was.
Watched all series now and just finished tonight's.
Absolutely brilliant! Did NOT see that coming.
Well recommended Sphinx!

I dont think its a problem that you posted this in a UK section tbh
Now we have to wait for the next series!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:OK the twist at the end of tonight was brilliant - just as we had thought it was all over and were discussing the what how when of it coming back it threw in a twist that nobody in my house saw coming.

Well recommended Sphinx!

I just hope it doesnt take 2 years to appear like these episodes did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:19 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:25 am

Saw part of an episode at Watsons wedding. Strange was the word that leaps to mind. Engaging not sure it is really. I didn't feel the urge to press the series link button.

Now Breaking Bad.......................................

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 am

sphinx wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Well recommended Sphinx!

I just hope it doesnt take 2 years to appear like these episodes did.  

I know! at least The Following series 2 starts soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 am

Clarkson wrote:Saw part of an episode at Watsons wedding. Strange was the word that leaps to mind. Engaging not sure it is really. I didn't feel the urge to press the series link button.

Everyone at work was raving about that. I tried a couple of times to watch it but just couldnt get into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 am

I think the wedding episode of Sherlock was the weakest one of the lot. I cant stand breaking bad. My other half watches lots of different series and I very rarely want to join him and most of the time would prefer him to switch it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:45 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Clarkson wrote:Saw part of an episode at Watsons wedding. Strange was the word that leaps to mind. Engaging not sure it is really. I didn't feel the urge to press the series link button.

Everyone at work was raving about that. I tried a couple of times to watch it but just couldnt get into it.

Breaking Bad is at times quite shocking not least because you see a decent man descend into the role of a monster. It takes all sorts as they say but Breaking Bad was truly breath taking for many. I strongly urge you to watch it back to back on Netflix. Once it grips you it won't let you go.

Since I got Netflix I watch very little live TV. In fact because I have to pay two television licenses because I own two homes I'm thinking of watching on demand TV exclusively. It really pains me having to pay over £300 to the BBC. Netflix is tremendous VFM. I even cancelled two sky subscriptions which cost a fortune because I was satisfied with on demand TV.

I miss Sky Atlantic though.

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Clarkson wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Breaking Bad is at times quite shocking not least because you see a decent man descend into the role of a monster. It takes all sorts as they say but Breaking Bad was truly breath taking for many. I strongly urge you to watch it back to back on Netflix.  Once it grips you it won't let you go.

Since I got Netflix I watch very little live TV. In fact because I have to pay two television licenses because I own two homes I'm thinking of watching  on demand TV exclusively. It really pains me having to pay over £300 to the BBC. Netflix is tremendous VFM. I even cancelled two sky subscriptions which cost  a fortune because I was satisfied with on demand TV.

Unfortunately you would still have to pay for a TV licence at each place because licensing is based on the ability to receive a TV signal - and desktops, laptops, and tablets that have internet capability are classed as being able to receive signal. Even if you never go near a single BBC service the fact that you have the equipment to do so means you have to pay the licence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I can't get into any of the 'made for TV' productions. I channel-surf right through them. TV is for football, real films or documentaries.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:40 am

Perhaps that is because you don't have very good 'made for TV' stuff. I like my TV to be informative, so I like documentaries, but there hasn't been anything to touch 'Borgen' and 'The Bridge'. Both sub-titled but absolutely riveting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm

sphinx wrote:
Clarkson wrote:

Breaking Bad is at times quite shocking not least because you see a decent man descend into the role of a monster. It takes all sorts as they say but Breaking Bad was truly breath taking for many. I strongly urge you to watch it back to back on Netflix.  Once it grips you it won't let you go.

Since I got Netflix I watch very little live TV. In fact because I have to pay two television licenses because I own two homes I'm thinking of watching  on demand TV exclusively. It really pains me having to pay over £300 to the BBC. Netflix is tremendous VFM. I even cancelled two sky subscriptions which cost  a fortune because I was satisfied with on demand TV.

Unfortunately you would still have to pay for a TV licence at each place because licensing is based on the ability to receive a TV signal - and desktops, laptops, and tablets that have internet capability are classed as being able to receive signal.  Even if you never go near a single BBC service the fact that you have the equipment to do so means you have to pay the licence.

Wrong Sphinx I have already researched this with the Licensing authority. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

At my second home because it is listed there is only one TV aerial feeding the whole village. It is fed by a distribution system underground same for the Sky dish. I can disconnect that feed with ease. Feeds from the internet not in real time are exempt of that I am certain. Yes I may be subject to inspection but be my guest I will say.

I would have done so already but my wife wants the convenience off air TV.

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 pm

Technically according to the letter of the law you do not - but it costs far more to prove you are only using catch up services than it does to get a licence.

However if the set at your second home is disconnected it is possible your devices such as laptops are covered by your licence at your main home - however I would not recommend relying on it and I would get written confirmation from the licensing authority that that is the case before letting the second licence lapse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Basil Rathbone in The Hound of the Baskervilles.

And the Granada programmes in the 80s were the best.

Sherlock Holme's is all over the place at the moment isn't it? There's even one helping the FBI - and Watson appears to be a Chinese female.

What??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Basil Rathbone in The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Sherlock Holme's is all over the place at the moment isn't it?  There's even one helping the FBI - and Watson appears to be a Chinese female.

What??

Citizen Smith, Bread, The Liver Birds, Royale Family, AB Fab etc....All brilliant programs from the 80's!  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 pm

Catman wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:Basil Rathbone in The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Sherlock Holme's is all over the place at the moment isn't it?  There's even one helping the FBI - and Watson appears to be a Chinese female.

What??

Citizen Smith, Bread, The Liver Birds, Royale Family, AB Fab etc....All brilliant programs from the 80's!  Razz 

The 80's were great, weren't they!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 pm

:D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Clarkson wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Unfortunately you would still have to pay for a TV licence at each place because licensing is based on the ability to receive a TV signal - and desktops, laptops, and tablets that have internet capability are classed as being able to receive signal.  Even if you never go near a single BBC service the fact that you have the equipment to do so means you have to pay the licence.

Wrong Sphinx I have already researched this with the Licensing authority. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

At my second home because it is listed there is only one TV aerial feeding the whole village. It is fed by a distribution system underground same for the Sky dish. I can disconnect that feed with ease. Feeds from the internet not in real time are exempt of that I am certain. Yes I may be subject to inspection but be my guest I will say.

Oh for gawds sake just pay the licence fee and be done with it. It's not that much and I would have thought that with all the wealth that you and your wife are supposed to have that you would hardly notice it on your bank statements.

Cheapskates.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Clarkson wrote:

Oh for gawds sake just pay the licence fee and be done with it. It's not that much and I would have thought that with all the wealth that you and your wife are supposed to have that you would hardly notice it on your bank statements.

Cheapskates.

Isn't that a criminal offense?

Well you can get prison for not paying your TV licence, seems that some laws are open to abuse, but only if your a Tory cretin.

pig pig pig 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Clarkson wrote:

Cheapskates.

Not that much? Are you have a giraffe?

You keep going on about poor people not being able to afford much - trust me the bloody TV licence is a significant chunk of money even if you do it by DD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:21 am

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Cheapskates.

Not that much?  Are you have a giraffe?

You keep going on about poor people not being able to afford much - trust me the bloody TV licence is a significant chunk of money even if you do it by DD.

My answer was directed to Drinky who in view of how much he and his wife earns it really is not that much.

Does that clarify things for you?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:25 am

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

My answer was directed to Drinky who in view of how much he and his wife earns it really is not that much.

Does that clarify things for you?

It's probably people with a little bit of money, through hard work and being frugal who resent paying the licence - those people are the type who read and know what the BBC really are.

It's the chavs that just pay up - "sorry kids, no food this week - gotta watch Eastenders"!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 am

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Cheapskates.

They have payment schemes for those on a low budget.  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 am

Oh right whether the cost of something is acceptable depends upon your income not whether what you are paying for is actually worth.

That incidentally is a trick statement seeing as value is relative not absolute so please dont answer it back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 am

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Yes phil but it does not matter if you are paying £4 a week £12 a month or £144 a year that is still a bloody significant cost - in context that is 9 loaves of bread a week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 am

sphinx wrote:Oh right whether the cost of something is acceptable depends upon your income not whether what you are paying for is actually worth.

That incidentally is a trick statement seeing as value is relative not absolute so please dont answer it  back.

Well when someone who earns as much as Drinky and his wife does then relative to their earnings it really is in their case not that much and hardly worth the bother of trying to avoid paying it.

What's wrong with saying that?

Cheapskates, aren't they?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:38 am

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:Oh right whether the cost of something is acceptable depends upon your income not whether what you are paying for is actually worth.

That incidentally is a trick statement seeing as value is relative not absolute so please dont answer it  back.

Well when someone who earns as much as Drinky and his wife does then relative to their earnings it really is in their case not that much and hardly worth the bother of trying to avoid paying it.

Look if you cannot even stop to think about what I meant with the statement about value there is little point in continuing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:45 am

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Look if you cannot even stop to think about what I meant with the statement about value there is little point in continuing.

I think it's your problem in understanding my statement to Drinky that you don't understand.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:50 am

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I think it's your problem in understanding my statement to Drinky that you don't understand.

Oh no I understand that - its just you dont understand my opinion of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:00 am

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

I never disputed your opinion and in any case it wasn't relevant to the situation I described as being in relation only to Drinky and his wife.

You're making a fuss over nothing.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:11 am

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I never disputed your opinion and in any case it wasn't relevant to the situation I described as being in relation only to Drinky and his wife.

You cannot dispute something you dont understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 am

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

But I never disputed your opinion and have already said so. Like I said you really are making a fuss over nothing.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 am

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

But I never disputed your opinion and have already said so. Like I said you really are making a fuss over nothing.

And like I said as you dont actually understand what I am expressing you cannot dispute it. You dont know what it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Sassy wrote:Perhaps that is because you don't have very good 'made for TV' stuff.   I like my TV to be informative, so I like documentaries, but there hasn't been anything to touch 'Borgen' and 'The Bridge'.   Both sub-titled but absolutely riveting.

Yes, I think I agree. The Brits do it better. I loved AbFab. And the historical faction account, The Tudors. Just to mention a variety of productions done by Brits that are xlnt.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Sassy wrote:Perhaps that is because you don't have very good 'made for TV' stuff.   I like my TV to be informative, so I like documentaries, but there hasn't been anything to touch 'Borgen' and 'The Bridge'.   Both sub-titled but absolutely riveting.

Yes, I think I agree.  The Brits do it better.  I loved AbFab.  And the historical faction account, The Tudors.  Just to mention a variety of productions done by Brits that are xlnt.

Hi Quill  I love you x

The Tudors was absolutely fantastic, we do have some great TV here in the UK OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Thumbs83

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yes, I think I agree.  The Brits do it better.  I loved AbFab.  And the historical faction account, The Tudors.  Just to mention a variety of productions done by Brits that are xlnt.

Hi Quill  I love you x

The Tudors was absolutely fantastic, we do have some great TV here in the UK OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Thumbs83

Hi lov,

Haha...but don't forget. We do Disneyland rather well.

xxx

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Original Quill wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Hi Quill  I love you x

Hi lov,

Haha...but don't forget.  We do Disneyland rather well.

xxx

I've never been to Disneyland Quill, I have a dream about running up a hill straight into Mickey's open arms OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Mickey12 I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Erm...so why is Mickey running? Never mind...it was the handsome prince you were after.

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! 2Q==

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:49 pm

sphinx wrote:
Catman wrote:

Yes phil but it does not matter if you are paying £4 a week £12 a month or £144 a year that is still a bloody significant cost - in context that is 9 loaves of bread a week.

I completely agree. Its money I cant really afford for something I hardly use and most of which is shite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:50 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Hi lov,

Haha...but don't forget.  We do Disneyland rather well.

xxx

I've never been to Disneyland Quill, I have a dream about running up a hill straight into Mickey's open arms OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Mickey12 I love you x

I have had a hug off Tigger  :D 

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTkUWDlAFAiHxXPpH9p6IyjnGVjvj7YgSgiNWDCQNHE38yHdxU

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

I have had a hug off Tigger  :D 

OK Its official - Sherlock is awesome!! Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTkUWDlAFAiHxXPpH9p6IyjnGVjvj7YgSgiNWDCQNHE38yHdxU

Hi Nems,

Great to see you, hon. Wondering where you were.

I love Winnie the Pooh. Also Watership Down.

xxx

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next