NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space

5 posters

Go down

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space Empty Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space Space-05fcd43f88cd80596b08a61ab7c64f1c

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space Array-04e8f5756f92925b535f35efa294a322

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 1-3ecf47642b7f3e420492b9824d39bc66

The rolling desert hills and fiercely sunny sky of the city of Ouarzazate in Morocco have provided the backdrop for scenes in films like "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962), "The Mummy" (1999), "Gladiator" (2000), and for HBO's "Game of Thrones."

What you may not know is that Ouarzazate is one of the solar energy capitals of the world, thanks to an absolutely massive solar array that officially opened in February 2016.

The country currently depends on imports for 97% of its energy but has plans for the solar plant to provide 38% of its power by 2020.

Not to mention, the plant is cutting hundreds of thousands of tons of carbon emissions while aiming to provide over 1 million people with clean electricity.

http://www.upworthy.com/theres-a-solar-farm-in-morocco-thats-so-big-you-can-see-it-from-space
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space Empty Re: Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space

Post by eddie Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:44 pm

The need to build more of these bad boys.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space Empty Re: Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:54 pm

There's one in Southern California and another going up in central Texas. I think there are others around the world, and we really can't have enough. Not only good for the environment, but I think the world would be more peaceful if more countries were energy-independent.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Lovely lovely 'green' energy...

In the happy clappy world of the idiot lefties who have absolutely no grasp of reality but live in a dream world of ignorance...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/solar/solar-energy-isnt-always-as-green-as-you-think
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:54 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:There's one in Southern California and another going up in central Texas. I think there are others around the world, and we really can't have enough. Not only good for the environment, but I think the world would be more peaceful if more countries were energy-independent.

We have all this at our disposal, the wind, the sun, water - which can all replace oil as an energy source, yet we still fight for oil and send our people out to die for oil.

How stupid man is.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

In the happy clappy world of the idiot lefties who have absolutely no grasp of reality but live in a dream world of ignorance...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/solar/solar-energy-isnt-always-as-green-as-you-think

and despite the above it is STILL greener than fossil fuel...and one hell of a lot safer than nuclear...

moreover fossil fuels ARE going to run out.......

quote from the begining of the article....

"Solar panels glimmering in the sun are an icon of all that is green. But while generating electricity through photovoltaics is indeed better for the environment than burning fossil fuels,"

So yes it has its own unique problems.......no doubt about it....BUT even admitting thosde problems...IT IS STILL better....*****and is, (again according to the article) getting BETTER....******

*****see below

The BIGGEST advantage though is...given you have the room and skills to build your own system, it is relatively cheap to end up almost entirely independant of the money grabbing energy producers....

I ONLY draw from the mains when I need to run up an exceptional load...such as my big saw or run the oven/tumble dryer etc........ and when I install a bit more battery back up, a few more panels and a new 5kW inverter.....I wont even need it for that.......

my NEXT experiment though is to gradually replace all the lead acid batteries with lithium ion or lithium gel cells.....

1/10 the weight...1/4 the size and far more capacity....

all run and controlled by arduinos......then the electric supplier can go shove it.....where the sun dont shine  Laughing

will then likely replace the gas boiler with a wood fired one....supplied of course from my bit of woodland and any that i can "scrounge" and the gas board can shove it too...... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:55 pm

what you missed......

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/solar/thin-film-solar-cell-freed-from-toxic-processing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:29 pm

sunny

TOMMY MONK preaching on clean and efficient energy sources ???

THAT'S sounds a bit like Donald Trump lecturing on international diplomacy.

METHINKS the wee little womble must have sucked in too many coal fumes when he was growing up..     Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 1942856362

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Wolf, do you think we need oil? Or will always need oil?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:47 pm

Idea

@ eddie :

SOME form of oil is required for lubrication purposes...
AND petroleum and coal by-products do have important industrial and pharmaceutical uses (though, it must also be pointed out that accounts for less than 10% of production..).

BUT petroleum based oil and petrol has only been widely used as  a major energy and heating source since the 19th century..

MANKIND got along without it for over 99% of its existence.
AND alternative sources of energy, plastics and lubricants are coming onstream by the year..

EVEN without the negative effects of pollution and climate change, the dwindling supplies of crude oil means that petroleum based products will be unaffordable within a few decades...       Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 1191311443
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:50 pm

So what's the best thing for us to do, which way do we turn? Wind? Water? Sun?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Agreed Wolfie, and cleanly generated electricity is going to HAVE to replace it....for many purposes

and as I said it will come as a REAL shock to the power lords....becasue anyone will be able to put up solar cells and benefit....

I dont see even the most rapacious oil baron being able to claim ownership of sunlight, nor any govt able to tax it....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:52 pm

all 3 have a part to play eddie....

its a case of whats most appropriate in any given circumstance.....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:53 pm

You're right Vic Ive often thought that; how will the powers that be ever tax or capitalise on solar power?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:00 pm

One thing Tommy missed is that plants like this one in Morocco don't even use solar panels; they use mirrors that concentrate the sun's heat on a quantity of liquid, which creates high-pressure steam used to spin turbines.

It's essentially the same method coal-powered plants use, except the sun provides the heat instead of burning coal.

The sunlight heats up the fluid to over 700 degrees Fahrenheit, combines it with water, and the resulting steam helps spin nearby turbines — generating energy. The plant even keeps going past daylight hours by using molten salt, which is great at retaining and transporting large amounts of heat.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:01 pm

That is so clever, and so simple!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:02 pm

And yeah, even if traditional solar cells create pollution, it's only during the phases in which they're manufactured and when they're discarded -- they don't continuously create pollution like fossil fuels do.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:04 pm

eddie wrote:That is so clever, and so simple!

Yep! People already do this on a small scale to bake things like bread Smile

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space Solar-oven-bread-1
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Agreed Wolfie, and cleanly generated electricity is going to HAVE to replace it....for many purposes

and as I said it will come as a REAL shock to the power lords....becasue anyone will be able to put up solar cells and benefit....

I dont see even the most rapacious oil baron being able to claim ownership of sunlight, nor any govt able to tax it....

Idea

AS WITH the Tobacco companies before them, many of the "money men" behind the various oil, gas and mining corporations have realised that "the writing is on the wall" in regards to the long-term futures for their industries.

THAT'S WHY many of them have been diversifying their investments into the Pharmaceutical, Agribusiness, Food Processing, Construction and Engineering sectors in recent decades..
REDUCING their risks and 'downsides'... Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 3893789544
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:21 pm

The energy companies still have a big advantage in that they have all the infrastructure. Sure, some people will put up their own clean-energy systems and hook them up to their houses, but most will still want to pay a power bill every month for the convenience of not having to engineer it or maintain it themselves.

Notice nobody ever talks about eliminating emissions? Simply put, we can't fly airplanes or push big freight ships across the ocean with electrical power, at least not yet and probably not for a long time. There will still be a market for fossil fuels, and part of that will also be standby fuel for power plants when greener methods aren't meeting demand. The best option for that would be nuclear, but the public still needs a lot of convincing on that front.

But despite the technological limitations, there are things being done to reduce emissions that are just flat-out clever, and a lot of them rely on things we used before fossil fuels. My favorite example is this:

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 150113150606-green-boats-3---sky-sail-exlarge-169

It's a towing kite for a cargo ship -- essentially a sail -- and it produces about 2,000 KW of thrust Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 2984306523
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:26 pm

2000kW of thrust....pfffft......I can do better than that on 3 pints of best bitter on a saturday night...ask the missus....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:27 pm

Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Lord Foul wrote:2000kW of thrust....pfffft......I can do better than that on 3 pints of best bitter on a saturday night...ask the missus....

Beer gives me gas too.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:2000kW of thrust....pfffft......I can do better than that on 3 pints of best bitter on a saturday night...ask the missus....

Beer gives me gas too.

affraid
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

and despite the above it is STILL greener than fossil fuel...and one hell of a lot safer than nuclear...

moreover fossil fuels ARE going to run out.......

quote from the begining of the article....

"Solar panels glimmering in the sun are an icon of all that is green. But while generating electricity through photovoltaics is indeed better for the environment than burning fossil fuels,"

So yes it has its own unique problems.......no doubt about it....BUT even admitting thosde problems...IT IS STILL better....*****and is, (again according to the article) getting BETTER....******

*****see below

The BIGGEST advantage though is...given you have the room and skills to build your own system, it is relatively cheap to end up almost entirely independant of the money grabbing energy producers....

I ONLY draw from the mains when I need to run up an exceptional load...such as my big saw or run the oven/tumble dryer etc........ and when I install a bit more battery back up, a few more panels and a new 5kW inverter.....I wont even need it for that.......

my NEXT experiment though is to gradually replace all the lead acid batteries with lithium ion or lithium gel cells.....

1/10 the weight...1/4 the size and far more capacity....

all run and controlled by arduinos......then the electric supplier can go shove it.....where the sun dont shine  Laughing

will then likely replace the gas boiler with a wood fired one....supplied of course from my bit of woodland and any that i can "scrounge" and the gas board can shove it too...... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Yes... that is indeed the first part of the first line of text of the article... but it goes on to say...

"Solar panels glimmering in the sun are an icon of all that is green. But while generating electricity through photovoltaics is indeed better for the environment than burning fossil fuels, several incidents have linked the manufacture of these shining symbols of environmental virtue to a trail of chemical pollution. And it turns out that the time it takes to compensate for the energy used and the greenhouse gases emitted in photovoltaic panel production varies substantially by technology and geography."

Then it goes on to list all the costs of the heavy industry and chemicals and energy needed to produce them!!!

Turns out this 'green' energy is not so 'green' after all...

And Ben... the op claimed the solar panel installation... I'm just replying to the misguided belief that it is all lovely and green...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:37 pm

true tommy...Its not as "green as we are led to beleive...BUT it IS still greener than fossil fuels.....and as the article I linked to shows...getting greener.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:52 pm

No... the article linked was talking mostly about the use of a particularly hazardous chemical in some solar panels... and from what I could see... was only talking about the possibility of swapping some of it with a magnesium based compound but still using in conjunction with the incredibly toxic cadmium based one...

And still just talk isn't it...?

And you say "Its not as 'green' as we are led to beleive...BUT it IS still greener than fossil fuels"...

Thst is presuming that fossil fuels are as bad as we are led to believe...!!!

And presuming that the only choice is fossil or solar...which it isn't...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:03 pm

solar is "better" in as much it takes the power out of the hands of the powerful.....

wind and water are in some ways better

and ...the toxicity of the cadmium based tech should not be that much of an issue IF it is handled correctly and disposed of correctly at the end of its useful life.....christ on a bike....a LOT of metalwork used to be coated with a cadmium rust proof layer...it was only a problem if heated to welding temps.....there are still millions of ni cad batteries about....

the issue isnt the tech...but its handling and production....

and yes tommy ...fossil fuels ARE dirty and polluting.....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:25 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:And Ben... the op claimed the solar panel installation...

No it didn't, the word "panel" doesn't appear in the OP at all. You just can't read very well.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:15 am

Easy mistake to make... but I have been talking about photovoltaics... and the facts remain .

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:17 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

Easy mistake to make... but I have been talking about photovoltaics... and the facts remain  .

There's very little people can do that doesn't disrupt nature in one way or another ... photovoltaics are still much cleaner than fossil fuels, and that's a fact, Tommy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:00 am

Not a fact at all...

As I have shown...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 am

Razz

TOMMY and his fellow like minded knuckle-dragging pre-neanderthal goons are nothing more than the gullible and willing unpaid mouthpieces for the likes of the Koch Bros. and that fat mincing turd Un_Lord Christopher Monckton...       Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 2581891615

IF ONLY Tommy had any self-pride left in his spineless little  grub's body, he would be demanding payment from those Oil and Mining cartels, rather being their sockpuppet mouthpiece for free  !!!

sunny
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:41 am

And once again we have flea keeper launching yet another personal attack and adding nothing of relevance to the topic in hand.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:58 am

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 3408175593

Solar power plant in Morocco big enough to see from space 1132368643
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:15 pm

I rest my case...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Not a fact at all...

As I have shown...

You mean with that article you linked to, which says:

generating electricity through photovoltaics is indeed better for the environment than burning fossil fuels,

???
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:59 pm

And then it says this as part of the same sentence..

'... several incidents have linked the manufacture of these shining symbols of environmental virtue to a trail of chemical pollution. And it turns out that the time it takes to compensate for the energy used and the greenhouse gases emitted in photovoltaic panel production varies substantially by technology and geography."

Then it goes on to list all the costs of the heavy industry and chemicals and energy needed to produce them!!!

Turns out this 'green' energy is not so 'green' after all...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:16 pm

however its STILL better than fossil fuels......thats the part you miss....... Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Didn't miss anything... just pointing out that they are not as green as some seem to think...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Okay, Tommy, I said:

There's very little people can do that doesn't disrupt nature in one way or another ... photovoltaics are still much cleaner than fossil fuels, and that's a fact, Tommy.

You replied:

Not a fact at all...

As I have shown...

I pointed to the part of your article which flatly declares:

generating electricity through photovoltaics is indeed better for the environment than burning fossil fuels

So yeah, you were obviously trying to make it out as though solar panels cause more pollution than burning fossil fuels, which is obviously wrong and refuted by your own source.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Having read the thread that is the way it came across Tommy tbf
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Okay, Tommy, I said:

You replied:

Not a fact at all...

As I have shown...

I pointed to the part of your article which flatly declares:

generating electricity through photovoltaics is indeed better for the environment than burning fossil fuels

So yeah, you were obviously trying to make it out as though solar panels cause more pollution than burning fossil fuels, which is obviously wrong and refuted by your own source.

The direct generation of electricity through pv is indeed better for the environment than burning some things... but when you take into account the costs in energy and heavy industry and the toxic chemicals involved to produce them then the case is not so clear cut...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down