NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?

2 posters

Go down

GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  Empty GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 5:06 pm

CBS News November 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
"Granny pods": Inside housing alternative for aging loved ones        
(CBS News) AARP says about 23 million Americans take care of their elderly parents. Many of them have to choose between letting aging parents live alone or moving them into a nursing home.
Now there's now another option that brings families closer -- even if they're not living under the same roof.
When Viola Baez began to need constant care last winter, her daughter Soccorrito Page, would not even consider moving her to a nursing home. Baez told everyone for years, no nursing homes -- not ever.
Page said, "Whenever we had to visit somebody who was in a nursing home, or we drove past one, she said, 'I don't want to be in a place like that.' "
She said it was a "very, very clear" instruction.
Page wanted her mother to live nearby their Alexandria, Va. home, and wanted her to have some independence, so she bought a portable apartment called a "MedCottage." She put the cottage in the yard, right outside the kitchen window and built a 20-foot walkway so Baez can come and go at will.
Page said, "It's her space, but it's still with us."
The MedCottage is basically a three-room apartment equipped like a hospital room. There are safety rails, lighted floorboards, and a wall with a first-aid kit and defibrillator machine. The structure also comes with three built-in cameras, including one in the ceiling overlooking the kitchen. There's also a camera that's mounted in the floor, and is designed to alert the family in the event that Baez falls.
Ken Dupin, who founded the company, says MedCottage is the formal name for his product, but it's not what most people call it. It's been known as "the Granny pod."
"That wasn't our name," he said. "You don't get to choose your nickname."
Whatever the apartment is called, Dupin believes he's found an answer for millions of baby boomers who are facing both their own retirements and the need to care for their parents.
Dupin said, "We wanted to say, 'There's got to be a better way to do this,' particularly as it involves family. And we feel that this is a very American solution."
The solution can be expensive. Page's cottage cost $125,000, but Page figured that a nursing home would cost more than $60,000 a year, and take Baez where she didn't want to be.
So what does Baez think of her new house? She said, "Well, as long as I live with my family, it's OK."
For Baez, the cottage outside the window represents the safety and care she always wanted, but for millions of other Americans, it's a possible glimpse of the future.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/granny-pods-inside-housing-alternative-for-aging-loved-ones/

GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  MedCottage
GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  Dc524b8522b9705a8c97661c99041acd
GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  Display_image_2
GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  Th?id=OIP.M40f08844d4bb443954adb47cc99f0182o0&pid=15

Pretty, dang terrific and if my mom was still living - this might have been the better idea then having her live right in here with me; she often told me 'you suck as a roommate' - LMAO 
Guess, having to keep reminding her about: don't do this/don't do that - would get real old - real fast! GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  1858517897

Back to top Go down

GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  Empty Re: GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 28, 2016 5:37 pm

A bottle of gin and a rope would be preferable to that.  Once I can't live alone and care for myself that's the option for me.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?  Empty Re: GRANNY PODS/MED PODS for our aging parents. Have you seen these?

Post by Syl Sat May 28, 2016 5:48 pm

They look nice, similar to our static caravans or lodges, many of which are as roomy and well equipped as a modern bungalow.
They would be ideal for someone who wants to keep their independence and doesn't need or want full time care.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Syl wrote:They look nice, similar to our static caravans or lodges, many of which are as roomy and well equipped as a modern bungalow.
They would be ideal for someone who wants to keep their independence and doesn't need or want full time care.

Have you seen the internal layout? A bathroom and a bedsit? No thanks.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 28, 2016 6:15 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:They look nice, similar to our static caravans or lodges, many of which are as roomy and well equipped as a modern bungalow.

Have you seen the internal layout?   A bathroom and a bedsit?   No thanks.

But a lot of elderly people don't use lots of rooms.....maybe some would like the compactness of it.
The middle one looks as big as a static, ours is 3 bedroom, open lounge with kitchen area, shower room and separate toilet, front and back patio doors....so I imagine they could be customised to suit.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Have you seen the internal layout?   A bathroom and a bedsit?   No thanks.

But a lot of elderly people don't use lots of rooms.....maybe some would like the compactness of it.
The middle one looks as big as a static, ours is 3 bedroom, open lounge with kitchen area, shower room and separate toilet, front and back patio doors....so I imagine they could be customised to suit.

I think it's rather insulting. There you go, live in a shed at the bottom of the garden. They are either a part of your family, or not. If someone is independent enough not to have to go into a nursing home, why the hell would they want to live in that? It's just my take on it, of course. For those who might say, well, if granny lives at the bottom of the garden we know she's safe. So, get off your fat arses and visit her everyday in her own home!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Well we all see things from our own experiences.
My own mum was very independent, she never wanted to live with us.
We even offered to build a flat for her over the garage, but she flatly refused.
When she needed full time care she still wouldn't come, so eventually she went into a small residential home.
I think if there had been a separate place for her to live...like the granny pod, she MAY have considered that.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 28, 2016 7:41 pm

Syl wrote:Well we all see things from our own experiences.
My own mum was very independent, she never wanted to live with us.
We even offered to build a flat for her over the garage, but she flatly refused.
When she needed full time care she still wouldn't come, so eventually she went into a small residential home.
I think if there had been a separate place for her to live...like the granny pod, she MAY have considered that.

My mum would never have done that. That's probably where I get it from. She was fiercely independent and indeed, chose to die at home.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm

It's nice to have the choice, that's probably what my mum would have wanted...she never wanted to lose her independence, but that's not the way it panned out.

I'm like you (and I suspect the majority) as soon as my mental/physical faculties desert me I don't want to be around anymore.....hopefully the law will have changed by then to make it easier than it is now.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Syl wrote:It's nice to have the choice, that's probably what my mum would have wanted...she never wanted to lose her independence, but that's not the way it panned out.

I'm like you (and I suspect the majority) as soon as my mental/physical faculties desert me I don't want to be around anymore.....hopefully the law will have changed by then to make it easier than it is now.

I think the elderly should be encouraged to be independent for as long as they can. After that, and if ill health makes their lives a misery, then we all have the right to a dignified death.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:It's nice to have the choice, that's probably what my mum would have wanted...she never wanted to lose her independence, but that's not the way it panned out.

I think the elderly should be encouraged to be independent for as long as they can.   After that, and if ill health makes their lives a misery, then we all have the right to a dignified death.

Yes exactly.
I read a story the other day of an elderly man who was bed ridden but still living at home by himself. He had a care package in place, 4 visits a day to see to his needs. He was admitted to hospital but sent home the same day.
The carers thought he was still in hospital, the hospital didn't know he needed the care package....between them they ballsed it up.
He lay in bed for 4 days in his own bodily mess, when he was eventually found (alive) he had tried to kill himself by smashing a photo frame and cutting his wrists and legs.

I cried when I read that. Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I think the elderly should be encouraged to be independent for as long as they can.   After that, and if ill health makes their lives a misery, then we all have the right to a dignified death.

Yes exactly.
I read a story the other day of an elderly man who was bed ridden but still living at home by himself. He had a care package in place, 4 visits a day to see to his needs. He was admitted to hospital but sent home the same day.
The carers thought he was still in hospital, the hospital didn't know he needed the care package....between them they ballsed it up.
He lay in bed for 4 days in his own bodily mess, when he was eventually found (alive) he had tried to kill himself by smashing a photo frame and cutting his wrists and legs.

How terrible. I think our attitudes to death and dying stink. We all die. We all go along that path. So why the hell isn't there more in place for the dying?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Syl wrote:
Yes exactly.

With all the emergency - video/sensory equiptment installed in these units they are pretty pricey for their size; but for the independent elderly that want to: enjoy their own TV/RADIO - eat when they chose to, stay in bed if they prefer - get up when they want and call for help when they need it these are perfect and much cheaper then the LTC {institutional nursing homes} and the comfort of having family and loved one close by but not on top of you.  My mom had to stay in a LTC facility for 3 months for some physical therapy: between strange naked men popping into her room/theft/noise/poor food/not being able to watch her favorite shows and the schedule of have to eat right now not when she felt hungry or wanted too --- she hated it.  The dining room was one madhouse - chaos disaster - and someone {elderly confused resident} was always trying to steal food from other residents tables ...just reaffirmation that I was going to KEEP my promise to have her with me if at all possible.

But the cost to rehab my home to aide in her bathroom needs/safety issues wasn't cheap - by any means; I still miss my old claw foot tub for soaking after a hard day outside.  The shower I installed it OK ...just not the same as my soaky tub though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down