NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says

4 posters

Go down

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says Empty Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says

Post by captain Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:19 pm

The dramatic fireball that lit up skies over the U.S. East Coast Friday evening (March 22) was caused by an asteroid just 3 feet (0.9 meters) or so wide, scientists say.

Such boulder-size asteroids slam into Earth's atmosphere every two or three days, so Friday's "Manhattan meteor" — which shone as brightly as the full moon and was apparently visible from Maine to North Carolina — isn't a terribly rare event. But the sensation it created on Twitter and other social media outlets is understandable nonetheless, said NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke.

"When you have something like this occur at 8 o'clock at night over one of the most populated regions of the United States, it's going to get people's attention," Cooke, head of the Meteoroid Environment Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., told reporters today
http://www.space.com/20362-east-coast-meteor-asteroid-size-nasa.html
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says Empty Re: Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Last fall I was out for a walk one evening and I saw a fireball -- no mere shooting star, the usual bright white streak that lasts a split second, but a meteor that I watched for several seconds with a clearly identifiable fiery streak behind it. It was so cool! It looked a bit like this:

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says Ht_meteor_shower_jp_121018_wg
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says Empty Thanks Ben

Post by captain Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 pm

It was a worry when I heard about it, after what happened in Russia. Really pleased no-one was hurt!
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says Empty Re: Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Agreed! Funny how we've been seeing so many of these lately. Something must have gotten destroyed somewhere in space in a way that sent little pieces of debris flying at us.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:18 pm

I've seen shooting stars but never a meteor. That would be cool!
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnEAngel Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm

when i was a very young teenager i saw a fireball in the middle of the day. and it was huge. i thought it was a helicoptor on fire and i ran in the direction it was heading but lost sight of it after i went beside a neighbors house to get another look at it. i could see the fire coming from it. i saw actual flames. very close it was.

JohnEAngel
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Boulder-Size Asteroid Caused Friday's East Coast Meteor, NASA Says Empty Scary things ...

Post by captain Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 am

I would not want to be to close to one. They could do a lot of damage!

Wish you had a picture to show us. @Johnboy
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down