NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year

5 posters

Go down

Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year Empty Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 6:51 pm

Ready or not, here comes the new generation of taxis. General Motors Co. and Lyft Inc. are making a joint effort to challenge Silicon Valley giants in the action to transform the auto industry. Within a year, GM and Lyft will be testing an army of self-driving Chevrolet Bolt electric taxis on public roads.

The plan began a couple of months ago after GM invested $500 million in Lyft, a ride-hailing company that competes against Uber Technologies Inc. The reshaping agenda will rely on the technology being collected as part of GM’s separate $1 billion planned purchase of the San Francisco-based company of autonomous-driving technology, Cruise Automation Inc.

Alphabet Inc.’s, Google autonomous car program and Uber’s ride-sharing business, as well as Tesla Motors Inc’s electric cars, are the developments born in Silicon Valley that have past numerous global automakers. GM’s efforts to bring together recent big-dollar investments is a response to the tech industry efforts to displaces the conventional automakers.

The autonomous taxi testing program is still working out the details including the city that has not yet been decided, according to a Lyft executive. Customers will be able to choose to opt in or out of the pilot when signaling for a Lyft car from the company’s mobile application.

GM intends for Lyft’s car of choice for their cars and fleet of driverless cars to be the electric Bolt, which will launch later this year. Currently, Lyft and the Detroit auto giant rents the Chevy Equinox to drivers needing vehicles in Chicago. The program will spread to more cities and will rely on Bolts, deemed by GM executives to be an ideal fit for drivers who want to lower operating costs and needing more space, in the future instead of the Equinox.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/05/lyfts-testing-self-driving-cars.html

Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year Welcome-to-future-green-billboard-blue-background-39426567
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year Empty Re: Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Are they just trying to make people have no jobs??

FFS! Soon we will not even have to feed ourselves - there will be some automated arm that follows us around and just shoves food straight into our mouths.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year Empty Re: Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Nothing can replace a good old fashioned cabbie.
Will this new fangled machine go the long way round? shout abuse if a tip isn't given? honk it's horn and wake the full street up when picking a fare up at 6am?...I doubt it. Razz

It wont take off.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 7:48 pm

eddie wrote:Are they just trying to make people have no jobs??

FFS! Soon we will not even have to feed ourselves - there will be some automated arm that follows us around and just shoves food straight into our mouths.

That's exactly what corporations are trying to do. Did you know there's a computer program that can write sports articles? http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34204052
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Syl wrote:Nothing can replace a good old fashioned cabbie.
Will this new fangled machine go the long way round? shout abuse if a tip isn't given? honk it's horn and wake the full street up when picking a fare up at 6am?...I doubt it. Razz

It wont take off.

Sure it will. College kids don't give a crap about any of that stuff.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm

I was kidding Ben. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Are they just trying to make people have no jobs??

That's exactly what corporations are trying to do. Did you know there's a computer program that can write sports articles? http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34204052

Wow. That is really really....I'm lost for words!
I want to read something a real live person wrote, with the blood coursing through their veins and their passion shining through each paragraph.

I may sound old and past it, but am I the only one who doesn't like where we are heading?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 pm

"To make the article sound natural it has to know the lingo. Each type of story, from finance to sport, has its own vocabulary and style. It also has to match the house rules of the news organisation - an article written for AP might be different to one for Forbes."

WTF?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 8:01 pm

It all reminds me of that film with Will Smith when robots go awry and create havoc. Shocked

Or the one where Julie Christie was held captive by a computer. What a Face
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Ooooh yes! Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 8:20 pm

eddie wrote:Ooooh yes! Shocked

Remember the recent thread..'How will the world end' (or something like that) No one thought of machines taking over....killing the worlds population, then eventually grinding to a halt because no one is left to maintain them.

It could happen. pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Ooooh yes! Shocked

Remember the recent thread..'How will the world end' (or something like that) No one thought of machines taking over....killing the worlds population, then eventually grinding to a halt because no one is left to maintain them.

It could happen. pale

Well I daresay you and I won't be around Syl.
But just in case I might look into making myself a tin-foil suit and learning some robot talk.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 8:35 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

It could happen. pale

Well I daresay you and I won't be around Syl.
But just in case I might look into making myself a tin-foil suit and learning some robot talk.

I don't think I want to be around...scary. Shocked

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Wouldn't mind a very manly one of those - amiable and does as you say.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 8:42 pm

I just watched a baby robot...he was quite cute actually.

The idea of a male robot...hmmmmm....would you really like to programme him to serve your every whim??

No answer needed. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 pm

I think I'd like it for a month or so then I'd get bored of his niceness and I'd try and pick a fight.

It would be nice to turn them off and stick them in a cupboard though.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 19, 2016 8:54 pm

hahaha.....maybe the idea of robots aren't as bad as first thought.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 pm

eddie wrote:"To make the article sound natural it has to know the lingo. Each type of story, from finance to sport, has its own vocabulary and style. It also has to match the house rules of the news organisation - an article written for AP might be different to one for Forbes."

WTF?

Yeah, they're getting good. What they still can't do, however, is write a story about how every boy on the soccer team has dyed his hair blond for good luck Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

Of course. And those are the parts of the story that you remember. It's what makes a story a story, and not a set of facts.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 20, 2016 7:14 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:"To make the article sound natural it has to know the lingo. Each type of story, from finance to sport, has its own vocabulary and style. It also has to match the house rules of the news organisation - an article written for AP might be different to one for Forbes."

WTF?

Yeah, they're getting good. What they still can't do, however, is write a story about how every boy on the soccer team has dyed his hair blond for good luck Smile

just another thing to add to the algorithm tongue tongue tongue

And Thus the need for a living wage..

we have starting to make programs that can program and make new programs Suspect
the 'self driven evolution' of technology is pretty close.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri May 20, 2016 7:40 am

Cool

WITHIN A YEAR,  opines the O/P   !?!

I'LL believe that when I see it..

EVEN IF  they have a safe and reliable model out within the year  --  what about the requisite communications and navigation networks required to support such vehicles ?

HOW MUCH would it cost to outfit, and maintain,  just the Los Angeles area alone, as one example !  Even before moving out to other major cities..

SOME MAY dream of existing Internet and GPS systems being utilised...     But really,  who would trust those shithouse and intermittent, and already overloaded, networks to be asked to support a new autonomous taxi network ?

MORE LIKELY, it will take decades to set those systems up to provide a satisfactory 'alternative' suytem  --  I doubt that most reading this today will even be alive by that time..

THE necessary costs are simply too high !         Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year 3738099605
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 20, 2016 8:58 am

I just don't think I'd get in a car that wasn't driven by a human
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 20, 2016 9:08 am

@wolf
actually that was considered they are all independent and operate with sensors mounted in the vehicle there is already an off road 4WD prototype.

so how much is zero to get started but if you where to remove human drivers then you can do cool stuff like get rid of traffic lights but that would require network connectivity.

@eddie
the robot is safer already
Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year 3356277174
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 20, 2016 9:20 am

Good morning/ afternoon/evening Veya

Well yes I'd already conspired the safety aspect of being driven by someone with no emotion but.....

Nah. Prefer a real human being to take me where I want to go.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 am

As they develop it will be much more than that. 360 degree vision, reactions in milliseconds, exact distance measurements.

personally i don't mind the idea, get in put in an address press go and then you're free to read a book, watch TV, post on newsfix. Cool
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2016 11:53 am

veya_victaous wrote:@wolf
actually that was considered they are all independent and operate with sensors mounted in the vehicle there is already an off road 4WD prototype.

so how much is zero to get started but if you where to remove human drivers then you can do cool stuff like get rid of traffic lights but that would require network connectivity.

@eddie
the robot is safer already
Lyft & General Motors partner up, plan to roll out self-driving taxis within a year 3356277174

Actually, I can see some other benefits from 'auto-pilot cabs':
Pro List >
1.) no odious smells from whatever was in his/her lunch sack - NO BODY ODOR PERIOD
2.) no distraction's by side walk activity: semi nude women/naked guitar playing street vendor
3.) should be able to communicate via computer modulated vocal command for ANY language - that's been a issue with trying to make the translation for direction clearly understood
4.)monetary exchange rate calculator; clearly explains exactly what you owe
5.)driver not tempted to take you on a sightseeing drive while letting the meter rack up extra fees because 'I' am not familiar with the area
6.)hope and pray that the GPS is more refined then some have been in those mobile units

Con List: >
1.) I can't back seat DRIVE
2.) I can't back seat DRIVE
3.) I can't back seat DRIVE
yada-yada-yada-yada...that's a HUGE issue for me! Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down