NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bernie Sanders owns West Virginia

3 posters

Go down

Bernie Sanders owns West Virginia Empty Bernie Sanders owns West Virginia

Post by Original Quill Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 am

Bernie takes W. Virginia over Hillary.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-may-win-big-in-west-virginia/ wrote:Bernie Sanders May Win Big In West Virginia
Um...he did. But the delegate math is still stacked against him.

Hillary Clinton supporters repeatedly ask me why Bernie Sanders is still running for president. It’s true: The delegate math is squarely against him, and Clinton is almost certain to win the Democratic nomination by a fairly wide margin. But Sanders still has a lot of supporters, and he has a message that happens to be resonating. Case in point: West Virginia, which votes today and where Sanders is likely to win.

Just two West Virginia polls have been released in the last month, but both showed Sanders with a modest edge. The FiveThirtyEight polls-only model forecasts a 7-percentage-point Sanders win, while the polls-plus model gives him a 3-point edge.

West Virginia also looks like a strong state for Sanders demographically, with few nonwhite voters. A demographic model my colleague Nate Silver released in late April projected Sanders to carry the state by 15 percentage points. That would be his biggest win in a primary outside his home state of Vermont and its neighbor New Hampshire. (He’s had bigger wins in caucuses.)

Sanders’s West Virginia strength rests in large part on the state’s lack of racial diversity. It is 93 percent non-Hispanic white, the third-highest share of any state. The only other states where at least 90 percent of the population identifies as non-Hispanic white are Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Sanders won each of those by at least 20 percentage points. Meanwhile, Clinton’s strongest supporters have been black voters, and just 3 percent of West Virginia’s population is non-Hispanic black.

The other key pro-Sanders factor in West Virginia: It holds a semiclosed primary, meaning that unaffiliated voters can take part in either party’s primary. Sanders has done exceedingly well among voters who identify as independent,1 according to exit polls. Just last week in Indiana, for example, he lost among self-identified Democrats by 6 percentage points and won self-identified independents by 44 points.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Bernie Sanders owns West Virginia Empty Re: Bernie Sanders owns West Virginia

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 11, 2016 2:06 am

Bernie has every right to use the platform he has to promote his message, which obviously does resonate with lots of people -- including me, even though I don't want him for president.

Still totally stumped as to why Clinton does so much better with minorities, though. Maybe it's because she's only from the second-most privileged class in the U.S. rather than the first Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed May 11, 2016 3:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Bernie has every right to use the platform he has to promote his message, which obviously does resonate with lots of people -- including me, even though I don't want him for president.

Still totally stumped as to why Clinton does so much better with minorities, though. Maybe it's because she's only from the second-most privileged class in the U.S. rather than the first Smile

The Clintons formed a bond with the minority community back in 1992, and it's never changed.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 11, 2016 3:44 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Bernie has every right to use the platform he has to promote his message, which obviously does resonate with lots of people -- including me, even though I don't want him for president.

The Clintons formed a bond with the minority community back in 1992, and it's never changed.

Agree with you both.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down