NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues

3 posters

Go down

Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues  Empty Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:32 pm

If you think that the answer to a disobedient child is a good spanking, think again.
After extensive analysis, researchers from the Universities of Texas and Michigan found that this form of punishment only makes children more likely to be defiant and aggressive.

Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues  7016v-spanking-is-wrong
Credit: Thinkstock

The study, which was published in the April edition of the Journal of Family Psychology, was based on five decades worth of research involving more than 160,000 children. They're calling it the most extensive scientific investigations into the spanking issue. "Our analysis focuses on what most Americans would recognize as spanking and not on potentially abusive behaviors," lead author Elizabeth Gershoff, an associate professor of human development and family sciences at the University of Texas, said in a statement Monday. "We found that spanking was associated with unintended detrimental outcomes and was not associated with more immediate or long-term compliance, which are parents' intended outcomes when they discipline their children." In fact, Gershoff and co-author Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, an associate professor at the University of Michigan School of Social Work, found that the more frequently that children are spanked, the higher the risk that those kids will start to defy their parents, become aggressive, experience mental health issues, exhibit anti-social behaviors, and/or develop cognitive difficulties.

As part of their meta-analysis, Gershoff and Grogan-Kaylor looked at the association between spanking (defined for their study as an open-handed smack of a child’s bottom or extremities) and 17 potential detrimental outcomes. They found a significant link between the punishment and 13 of the 17 outcomes, suggesting that spanking ends up doing more harm than good. "The upshot of the study is that spanking increases the likelihood of a wide variety of undesired outcomes for children," said Grogan-Kaylor. "Spanking thus does the opposite of what parents usually want it to do." Furthermore, they noted that spanking was associated with the same adverse outcomes in children as physical abuse, and both were nearly similar in terms of outcome strength. "We as a society think of spanking and physical abuse as distinct behaviors. Yet our research shows that spanking is linked with the same negative child outcomes as abuse, just to a slightly lesser degree," explained Gershoff. "We hope that our study can help educate parents about the potential harms of spanking and prompt them to try positive and non-punitive forms of discipline."

Read more at http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/1450/Spanking-Children-Increases-Likelihood-Of-Childhood-Defiance-And-Long-Term-Mental-Issues#ivzxeUA7k3TAgEuy.99

Back to top Go down

Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues  Empty Re: Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues  Empty Re: Spanking Children Increases Likelihood Of Childhood Defiance And Long-Term Mental Issues

Post by Syl Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Spanking is wrong imo. However a slap across the hand or leg can work wonders as a very last resort.
Obviously it depends on the child, some children respond more to reason others simply don't.

I used the slap hand/leg approach about 5 times with my own son....it worked every single time.
My grandson has never been smacked ....he was of a different temperament.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 pm

I am a firm believer in not raising a hand to anyone and that especially includes people much tinier and weaker than me.
Hitting someone is just saying "I've run out of words and temper, here, have some of this"
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:13 pm

I think everyone should be free to bring up their children with love as they see fit, obviously as long as no abuse is taking place.

I know one thing, a short sharp smack on the hand as a last resort is far superior to the 'hands off' method some parents use, yet they see nothing wrong in shouting even swearing at their kids to make them behave.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Syl wrote:I think everyone should be free to bring up their children with love as they see fit, obviously as long as no abuse is taking place.

I know one thing, a short sharp smack on the hand as a last resort is far superior to the 'hands off' method some parents use, yet they see nothing wrong in shouting even swearing at their kids to make them behave.

That's very true and a very valid point; shouting isn't nice - I admit I do it occasionally (more so with my teen I have to say) and it's not the right way....its just losing your temper isn't it?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 pm

I think if anything is done in temper it's wrong...be it a smack or shouting in anger, but parents are human, so it happens.

I cringe when I see mothers (usually) screaming in their kids faces though....or raising their hands and the kid ducks and dive because they are used to getting a slap round the head.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Yeah, I hate that too. I have to turn away in case I open my mouth, as I've done in the past.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down