NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard

+4
Tommy Monk
Raggamuffin
eddie
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard Empty Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 pm

On U.S. public radio, and I'm paraphrasing:

"White privilege refers to any unearned advantages that white people enjoy as the result of racist legacies. It doesn't mean if you're white and you have these privileges, you're a racist or you did something wrong. It means that because of a legacy of racism, you have advantages that other people don't have because of your skin color."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard Empty Re: Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard

Post by eddie Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:46 pm

What about people of the same skin colour but from different countries?

When I lived and worked in the Maldives, the Banglesishi men and women were treated like slaves; bad accomadation, wages and generally just looked down upon.
A fellow Muslim worker, that I really warmed to, told me it had been that way for years and years and years, but literally no one really spoke about the treatment of these poor Bangladeshis.

Do they have Maldivian privilege? What about that example?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard Empty Re: Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:48 pm

eddie wrote:What about people of the same skin colour but from different countries?

When I lived and worked in the Maldives, the Banglesishi men and women were treated like slaves; bad accomadation, wages and generally just looked down upon.
A fellow Muslim worker,  that I really warmed to, told me it had been that way for years and years and years, but literally no one really spoke about the treatment of these poor Bangladeshis.

Do they have Maldivian privilege? What about that example?

I'd say pretty much every culture that has social stratification has some form of privilege going on, even if it's not by race. There's also male privilege, etc.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:55 pm

Well us women have no privileges. Razz

Seriously though, those poor men and women, paid a pittance, and most of that was sent home to their families. I gave them all my toiletries, Maldivian dollars and other bits.
There was one old man I really liked. He used to carry all my stage equipment and only knew a little English:

"You sing pretty"

I have a photo of him somewhere
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:41 pm

eddie wrote:Well us women have no privileges. Razz

Seriously though, those poor men and women, paid a pittance, and most of that was sent home to their families. I gave them all my toiletries, Maldivian dollars and other bits.
There was one old man I really liked. He used to carry all my stage equipment and only knew a little English:

"You sing pretty"

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard Missing-white-woman-syndrome
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Except the concept of white privilege only works with white Middle Class and upwards.
Those of the white poorer classes today, see this privilege deeming them of lesser worth than other smaller ethnic minorities? Who are protected by law where as within many western countries, the poorest whites now are having the worst levels of education for boys in this country for example. An over compensation to help non-whites has seen the poorest whites suffer, not just in this country but throughout the western world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

"You sing pretty"

Is that a pic of JonBenet Ramsey? She didn't go missing, she was found in the basement of her home - murdered.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 pm

didge wrote:Except the concept of white privilege only works with white Middle Class and upwards.
Those of the white poorer classes today, see this privilege deeming them of lesser worth than other smaller ethnic minorities? Who are protected by law where as within many western countries, the poorest whites now are having the worst levels of education for boys in this country for example. An over compensation to help non-whites has seen the poorest whites suffer, not just in this country but throughout the western world.

It's true that poor whites in general don't enjoy white privilege as much as wealthier whites do. However: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/08/12/black-poverty-differs-from-white-poverty/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Why don't people put up at least some of the article? Pffff

The poverty that poor African Americans experience is often different from the poverty of poor whites. It's more isolating and concentrated. It extends out the door of a family's home and occupies the entire neighborhood around it, touching the streets, the schools, the grocery stores.

A poor black family, in short, is much more likely than a poor white one to live in a neighborhood where many other families are poor, too, creating what sociologists call the "double burden" of poverty. The difference is stark in most major metropolitan areas, according to recent data analyzed by Rutgers University's Paul Jargowsky in a new report for the Century Foundation.

In five-year American Community Survey data from 2009-2013, more than a third of all poor African Americans in metropolitan Chicago live in high-poverty census tracts (where the poverty rate is above 40 percent). That number has gotten worse since 2000. And it's about 10 times higher than for poor whites.

In St. Louis, 29.5 percent of poor African Americans live in concentrated poverty. Among poor whites, just 1.6 percent do. Poor whites, in most major metropolitan areas, are spread out. Poor African Americans are not:

Click link to see graph table
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:Except the concept of white privilege only works with white Middle Class and upwards.

It's true that poor whites in general don't enjoy white privilege as much as wealthier whites do. However: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/08/12/black-poverty-differs-from-white-poverty/

That is based on the US
Which is why you again failed to see outside of the US
Its not always about the US, where there still is deep racism

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

That is based on the US

I used to think the U.S. had a horrible racism problem compared the UK. Then, Newsfix happened.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

That is based on the US

I used to think the U.S. had a horrible racism problem compared the UK. Then, Newsfix happened.

So you then base the uk off about a dozen individuals, of which half of them are against racism?
I would say you suffer badly with pessimism
I would say the US has vastly the worst racist problem compared to any European nation.
Its ingrained in the deep South, with a constant failure to move on from your civil war

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

That is based on the US

So you then base the uk off about a dozen individuals, of which half of them are against racism?
I would say the US has vastly the worst racist problem compared to any European nation.
Its ingrained in the deep South, with a constant failure to move on from your civil war

We don't just talk about a half-dozen racist British here on this site, Didgey. I'd never even heard of UKIP or the EDL before this site.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

We don't just talk about a half-dozen racist British here on this site, Didgey. I'd never even heard of UKIP or the EDL before this site.

Why do you assume I want to be called didgey
I do not call you Benny.
UKIP is not racist
The EDL just attracted untold racists, to now that it is associated with racism
So again you have poor perception and pessimism

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm

I remember you saying that UKIP were racist on the flap forum Didge.
What made you change your mind?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm

He had a fucking epiphany and morphed into Tommy Robinson, hadn't you noticed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:08 pm

eddie wrote:I remember you saying that UKIP were racist on the flap forum Didge.
What made you change your mind?

Can you, well that is you being dishonest Eddie, as I have never ever stated that UKIP as being racist, only that it had attracted many racists.

You really need to wash your mouth out with soap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 pm

To be honest Eddie, you are coming some what of a joke

If that is what you want to believe and this is all you can do deligitimize people, it just shows up your inadequacies in debate

Good luck with that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 pm

sassy wrote:He had a fucking epiphany and morphed into Tommy Robinson, hadn't you noticed.

Stirring yet again making false accusations

Anyway I think the vast majority of the forum would think Tommy Robinson is more intelligent than you, and that is an insult to Tommy Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Didge why were you so rude?? I asked you a legitimate question. I remember you telling alla and smelly that UKIP were racist becasue I seem to remember thinking they were too, when they first came on the scene properly.

So what's your problem with being asked a legitimate question?? Perhaps you didn't like it, but that's not my fault.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:24 pm

eddie wrote:Didge why were you so rude?? I asked you a legitimate question. I remember you telling alla and smelly that UKIP were racist becasue I seem to remember thinking they were too, when they first came on the scene properly.

So what's your problem with being asked a legitimate question?? Perhaps you didn't like it, but that's not my fault.

Then you remember wrong, because I am bored to death with your childish antics

I suggest you put up or shut up

Its that simple, because I am not putting up with acting like a brat

Go find this invented claim you say I have made and post it. 

Because even on here I stated many times, it is not racist, it has never had a single racist policies, but it has had racist members and supporters and that it attracted many from the BNP

Its was an false accusation, which you cannot back up and lets face it Eddie, considering the bullshit you buy into, I am not surprised you dreamed this up

So put up or shut up its that simple

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Gawd. Slow down there Didge. You might overreact or something. Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:29 pm

eddie wrote:Gawd. Slow down there Didge. You might overreact or something. Shocked

The only thing that has been an over reaction is you being told we were never friends.
Since then your behavior has been to say the least pathetic
Not everything thinks the sun shines out of your arse

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Why is it that so many non American non white people have arrived in USA with absolutely nothing over last few decades, but have worked hard and been incredibly successful over there...?

While there are so many other black people there who have been there for decades, having a head start with access to decent education and opportunities there etc, but failed to do anything productive, refuse to apply themselves in education or work etc, instead preferring to live in a way that is detrimental to themselves and their people... and then on top of that, trying to make out that it is everyone else's fault but their own...!?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:02 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Why is it that so many non American non white people have arrived in USA with absolutely nothing over last few decades, but have worked hard and been incredibly successful over there...?

While there are so many other black people there who have been there for decades, having a head start with access to decent education and opportunities there etc, but failed to do anything productive, refuse to apply themselves in education or work etc, instead preferring to live in a way that is detrimental to themselves and their people... and then on top of that, trying to make out that it is everyone else's fault but their own...!?

the counter to that is how many poor Mexicans etc too.
Yes there is successes, but is about averages not one offs.

Some blacks are successful too, look at Obama but that doesn't change that on average most blacks are in the bottom social economic groups. the US is easy to explain because of the way the locally fund education, it means that poor communities have poor schools and inferior education thus creating an intergenerational cycle of poverty.

it is actually true that the exact same is an issue for poor whites, however if a poor white cleans himself up puts on a suit and makes an effort to adjust their vocalisation, they don't continue to suffer from negative stereotypes.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

That is based on the US

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:50 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Why is it that so many non American non white people have arrived in USA with absolutely nothing over last few decades, but have worked hard and been incredibly successful over there...?

Racism, tommy. When you say "non American non white people"" I assume you mean Asians. There have been no migrations of Africans to the US in recent years. First, the Asians didn't come here with nothing...many were Vietnamese, who were the privileged of Saigon.

But the other side of your argument, and comparison, are the American Blacks, who have a demonstrated history of non-privilege and disenfranchisement. Where shall we start...slavery, the civil war, Jim Crow laws, voting taxes, literacy tests, peonage, separate but equal, segregation, or the Republican Party in the present day? They live in ghettos. They attend inferior schools. They didn't have a daddy who passed on $200-million to them.

Look around you, tommy. Look what is happening. Don't stick your head in the sand for ideological vindication. The evidence is right before your eyes if you just open them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:02 pm

I know successful black people... they are the ones who bothered trying... while I see plenty of others about who don't bother and think they are better than everyone else...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I know successful black people... they are the ones who bothered trying... while I see plenty of others about who don't bother and think they are better than everyone else...

White privilege doesn't necessarily mean a system in which black people find it impossible to succeed. Obviously society rewards talented black athletes and entertainers all the time, and there are some who manage to crack into business as well.

White privilege means that you have an advantage simply from being white, that non-white people don't have. It doesn't mean that non-white people can't overcome being disadvantaged, just that it might be quite a bit more difficult or require quite a bit more luck.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:I know successful black people... they are the ones who bothered trying... while I see plenty of others about who don't bother and think they are better than everyone else...

White privilege doesn't necessarily mean a system in which black people find it impossible to succeed. Obviously society rewards talented black athletes and entertainers all the time, and there are some who manage to crack into business as well.

White privilege means that you have an advantage simply from being white, that non-white people don't have. It doesn't mean that non-white people can't overcome being disadvantaged, just that it might be quite a bit more difficult or require quite a bit more luck.

Except of course where you are white and poor and that due to a leftist systems that suffers from white guilt over compensates for this by then casting the poorest whites to the bottom of the pile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:06 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Except of course where you are white and poor and that due to a leftist systems that suffers from white guilt over compensates for this by then casting the poorest whites to the bottom of the pile

So now the left is to blame for the fact that some white people are poor? How do you come up with this stuff?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

So now the left is to blame for the fact that some white people are poor? How do you come up with this stuff?

1) Never claimed they are to blame for being poor, but certainly are to blame for now in places have the worst start in life and the least equality

Poor white boys get 'a worse start in life' says equality report

If you're white, male and poor enough to qualify for a free meal at school then you face the toughest challenge when starting out in life.
That's what the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has said in "the most comprehensive review ever carried out on progress towards greater equality in Britain". The suggestion is because white male poor pupils do worse at school their chances of getting good jobs is reduced. The EHRC, an organisation set up to get rid of discrimination, defines anyone who qualifies for a free school meal as poor. The Is Britain Fairer? review has brought together a huge amount of official data and surveys from the past five years to come up with the findings. And although the data used isn't brand new, the findings are a kind of stock take of how fair Britain is today and the EHRC believe their findings are statistically sound. "Our review shows how young people, out of all age groups, experienced the steepest fall in incomes and employment, worse access to decent housing and better-paid jobs, and deepening poverty," says Laura Carstensen, commissioner at the EHRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

Of course the leftist BBC fails to mention the biggest problem
Leftist white guilt that over compensated for other minorities

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:19 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

1) Never claimed they are to blame for being poor, but certainly are to blame for now in places have the worst start in life and the least equality

If you're white, male and poor enough to qualify for a free meal at school then you face the toughest challenge when starting out in life.
That's what the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has said in "the most comprehensive review ever carried out on progress towards greater equality in Britain". The suggestion is because white male poor pupils do worse at school their chances of getting good jobs is reduced. The EHRC, an organisation set up to get rid of discrimination, defines anyone who qualifies for a free school meal as poor. The Is Britain Fairer? review has brought together a huge amount of official data and surveys from the past five years to come up with the findings. And although the data used isn't brand new, the findings are a kind of stock take of how fair Britain is today and the EHRC believe their findings are statistically sound. "Our review shows how young people, out of all age groups, experienced the steepest fall in incomes and employment, worse access to decent housing and better-paid jobs, and deepening poverty," says Laura Carstensen, commissioner at the EHRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

I think the left is concerned about helping all of the poor. It's easier to get programs passed when you point out that minority groups are disadvantaged by white privilege, however, than it is to get them passed when you point out that the lowest-income people are disadvantaged by the wealthy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

I think the left is concerned about helping all of the poor. It's easier to get programs passed when you point out that minority groups are disadvantaged by white privilege, however, than it is to get them passed when you point out that the lowest-income people are disadvantaged by the wealthy.

The left are generally hypocrites

They fail to see harm, when thinking they are doing good, they like I say over compensate for a previous wrong by then giving more attention to other minorities over that of the white majority and this is the effect we see.
This problem only stems from leftist thinking.
The one failure the left fail to grasp is all having equality under the law.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

I go to work and I'm poor...!!!

Nobody is giving me any extra help or leg up in anything or extra money...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:28 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

They fail to see harm, when thinking they are doing good, they like I say over compensate for a previous wrong by then giving more attention to other minorities over that of the white majority and this is the effect we see.

Bloody hell!!!

It's taken 4 years... but I think Didge is finally starting to grasp the reality of what I've been saying all this time...!!!

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Bloody hell!!!

It's taken 4 years... but I think Didge is finally starting to grasp the reality of what I've been saying all this time...!!!

Laughing

Yeah, congrats, Didge -- you've finally come around to Tommy's way of thinking!

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3489511464 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3489511464 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3489511464
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Bloody hell!!!

Laughing

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3489511464 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3489511464 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3489511464

Well little things please little minds and there is no way my views are on a par with his, which his are prejudiced.

Mine are based on equality

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Bloody hell!!!

Laughing

Well little things please little minds and there is no way my views are on a par with his, which his are prejudiced.

Minw are based on equality

Tommy is always saying the same thing!

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3239900740 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3239900740 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3239900740
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3239900740 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3239900740 Great definition of "white privilege" I just heard 3239900740

Wow new line of deflection, when Ben cannot answer my points, make up bullshit.

lol

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:20 pm

didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
didge wrote:

Wow new line of deflection, when Ben cannot answer my points, make up bullshit.

lol

Your "points" are bullshit and deserve no better in return.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Didge is even copying my sayings... I said 'little things please little minds' to him about a year ago...

My way of thinking has always been along the same lines as what Didge was just espousing.

I have long been a critic of leftie thinking, the idiocy and hypocrisy of it as well as the subsequent damaging effects when they are allowed to put it into action.

The lefties are always "SIXHIRBing' me off and painting me as a 'far right nazi' (oxymoron) etc...

They do this every time I point out their idiocy/hypocrisy or the resulting damaging consequences of their actions...

They do this as a defence mechanism whenever faced with logical arguments that force them to thinking a way that makes them start to realise the idiocy/hypocrisy/damage of their own ideas/actions!!!

http://psychcentral.com/lib/15-common-defense-mechanisms/
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Check this out, Tommy:

Put simply, the (U.S. housing) market penalizes integration: The higher the percentage of blacks in the neighborhood, the less the home is worth, even when researchers control for age, social class, household structure, and geography.

A 2007 study by George Washington University sociology professor Gregory D. Squires comments on why most whites avoid racially diverse neighborhoods: “Evidence indicates that it is the presence of blacks, and not just neighborhood conditions often associated with black neighborhoods (e.g., bad schools, high crime), that accounts for white aversion to such areas. In one survey, whites reported that they would be unlikely to purchase a home that met their requirements in terms of price, number of rooms, and other housing characteristics in a neighborhood with good schools and low crime rates if there was a substantial representation of African Americans.”

When blacks buy homes in majority minority neighborhoods, we increase the racial wealth gap. Whites who want to experience racial diversity at home also pay dearly.

Of course, home ownership has significant benefits even if it is not a great financial investment. Homeowners generally experience lower crime rates and better schools and municipal services. Also, not all black homeowners increase the racial wealth gap when they buy homes. Blacks who live in overwhelmingly white neighborhoods win as long as they remain a very small part of the community.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesleadershipforum/2012/12/10/how-home-ownership-keeps-blacks-poorer-than-whites/#71c5517c7e57

So in the U.S., white people who want to buy houses tend to avoid black people -- EVEN in nice neighborhoods. Black people can live in nice neighborhoods so long as there aren't too many of them.

But it gets worse! In a policy that I have criticized many times, the United States doesn't spend the same amount on every public school student's education, even adjusted by local cost of living. Oh no -- public school districts are funded by local property taxes, which are generated at far greater amounts in wealthy communities than they are in poor communities.

So children who were stupid enough to be born to poor parents are penalized at school by getting less spent on their education than the kids who were smart enough to pick rich parents. Being black almost automatically means you'll live in a neighborhood that generates lower property tax income from the schools you or your kids will attend. And quality of education is most definitely a factor in future success, is it not?

So, if a system rewards you for being white by saying your house is worth more and by giving you a higher-quality public education, how can you deny that white privilege exists?

And how can I, who has railed against this institutionalization of poverty for years, be accused of not caring about poor whites?

You and Didge really piss me off when you say that, by the way. I spent several years of my childhood living in trailer parks and have never had better than working-class income in my life.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

"You sing pretty"

Is that a pic of JonBenet Ramsey? She didn't go missing, she was found in the basement of her home - murdered.

Everybody knows she's really Katy Perry.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:01 pm

That was a pretty good post actually
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Check this out, Tommy:

Put simply, the (U.S. housing) market penalizes integration: The higher the percentage of blacks in the neighborhood, the less the home is worth, even when researchers control for age, social class, household structure, and geography.

A 2007 study by George Washington University sociology professor Gregory D. Squires comments on why most whites avoid racially diverse neighborhoods: “Evidence indicates that it is the presence of blacks, and not just neighborhood conditions often associated with black neighborhoods (e.g., bad schools, high crime), that accounts for white aversion to such areas. In one survey, whites reported that they would be unlikely to purchase a home that met their requirements in terms of price, number of rooms, and other housing characteristics in a neighborhood with good schools and low crime rates if there was a substantial representation of African Americans.”

When blacks buy homes in majority minority neighborhoods, we increase the racial wealth gap. Whites who want to experience racial diversity at home also pay dearly.

Of course, home ownership has significant benefits even if it is not a great financial investment. Homeowners generally experience lower crime rates and better schools and municipal services. Also, not all black homeowners increase the racial wealth gap when they buy homes. Blacks who live in overwhelmingly white neighborhoods win as long as they remain a very small part of the community.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesleadershipforum/2012/12/10/how-home-ownership-keeps-blacks-poorer-than-whites/#71c5517c7e57

So in the U.S., white people who want to buy houses tend to avoid black people -- EVEN in nice neighborhoods. Black people can live in nice neighborhoods so long as there aren't too many of them.

But it gets worse! In a policy that I have criticized many times, the United States doesn't spend the same amount on every public school student's education, even adjusted by local cost of living. Oh no -- public school districts are funded by local property taxes, which are generated at far greater amounts in wealthy communities than they are in poor communities.

So children who were stupid enough to be born to poor parents are penalized at school by getting less spent on their education than the kids who were smart enough to pick rich parents. Being black almost automatically means you'll live in a neighborhood that generates lower property tax income from the schools you or your kids will attend. And quality of education is most definitely a factor in future success, is it not?

So, if a system rewards you for being white by saying your house is worth more and by giving you a higher-quality public education, how can you deny that white privilege exists?

And how can I, who has railed against this institutionalization of poverty for years, be accused of not caring about poor whites?

You and Didge really piss me off when you say that, by the way. I spent several years of my childhood living in trailer parks and have never had better than working-class income in my life.

So do white people tend to pay more in local taxes?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Wow. Katy Perry aka Jonbenet.
She's done well to keep that a secret.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Check this out, Tommy:

So do white people tend to pay more in local taxes?

property tax is a % of the property value, it is not actually 'white or black' but 'rich or poor'.
BUT due to the USA's history, blacks are disproportionately poor.

Due to Racism, Property in Black neigherhoods is of lower value, thus lower property taxes, thus less funding for schools.

So Whites pay the Average as they are the majority across all social economic classes, I beleive in the USA Asians would be the highests of the minorities in direct relation to their average social economic class.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:00 am

What Veya said. Property taxes are usually determined at the municipal level, so they're the same rate for wealthy and poor communities. But school districts are drawn with different boundaries, meaning they can encircle mostly rich or mostly poor communities (and they often do just that).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next