NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped   - Page 2 Empty Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

A grandad who had just found out his benefits were being stopped shot himself dead – after telling friends he was “unable to cope”.

Shaun Pilkington, 58, was sent a letter saying he was to lose his ­Employment and Support ­Allowance, which he got after a long-term illness.

He was told he would have to be reassessed and needed to prove he was eligible. But as the hearing approached, friends said Shaun, a licensed gamekeeper, became discouraged.

Days later he called police and said he was about to kill himself. They found him dead at his flat.

A neighbour said: “There were armed police everywhere. Sadly he’d gone through with his threat.

“It is a tragedy. He was upset because he got a letter saying his ESA was being stopped.

“He was pretty down about it and said he was finding it hard to cope with the decision. He was a lovely man. It is not fair what the Government is doing.”

Well-wishers left floral tributes and cans of Stella outside Shaun’s home in Beighton, Sheffield.

The neighbour added: “It all got on top of him – having no money for Christmas and being warned he’d lose his benefits.

“It’s wrong what they’re doing, targeting people on benefits. We haven’t got a lot of money but the Government seems intent on cutting it.”

Registered gun-keeper Shaun was divorced and had two grown-up children and a two-month-old grandson.

Another neighbour, Shani Hird, said yesterday: “We have lost a dear neighbour who shot himself due to his money being stopped. His appeal was due next week but he felt he could not carry on.

“This is so sad. This isn’t the first time this has happened and it won’t be the last. I think it is terrible the Government’s benefit cuts are causing vulnerable people so much pain and misery.”

Police yesterday confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances.

Shaun’s estranged family was too upset to talk. He joins a growing list of people who have taken their lives since the Tory-led Coalition employed private firm Atos to reassess thousands of people on long-term benefits.

Blind Tim Salter, 53, of Kinver, Staffordshire, died after being deemed fit to work. A coroner ruled the move to axe his benefit had contributed to his suicide.

Edward Jacques, 47, of Sneinton, Nottingham, took a fatal overdose after his benefit payments were stopped.

Jobless Richard ­Sanderson, 44, of ­Southfields, south-west London, stabbed himself in the heart. Unemployed electrician Lee Robinson, 39, of Crawley, Sussex, also took his own life.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grandad-shaun-pilkington-shoots-himself-2989685#ixzz2pY3N5d2o
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

No Sad 

This is getting worse, something has to be done about this awful coalition.

Back to top Go down

Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped   - Page 2 Empty Re: Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 pm

stop Pissing about Phil....next time take a covert voice recorder with you....And NO its not illegal to do so, as long as 1 party to the conversation agrees (that would be you or DOUG) whether or not it would be acceptable as evidence in court is dependant on a number of things, but you could raise hell with it if you used it right....

Back to top Go down

Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped   - Page 2 Empty Re: Grandad shoots himself after finding out his benefits were being stopped

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:01 pm

grumpy old git wrote:stop Pissing about Phil....next time take a covert voice recorder with you....And NO its not illegal to do so, as long as 1 party to the conversation agrees (that would be you or DOUG) whether or not it would be acceptable as evidence in court is dependant on a number of things, but you could raise hell with it if you used it right....

I tried to buy one off Amazon the last time, it was 'out of stock'....I think i discussed the mater on SF at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Never mind Amazon...get on fleabay....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Anyways....I think that i put the shits up her, from what i have relayed..I just wish that i had mentioned that most appeals are won to her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Just sell the property in Spain, take the £275,000 you said you'll get.

And stop scrounging for money that really desperate people need.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

why should DOUG be forced to be financially dependant on PHIL? I thought the idea was to give folks with disablement etc INDEPENDANCE. ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Shut the fuck up Andy, that is just what Phil have been trying to do, and it's been very frustrating for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:29 pm

grumpy old git wrote:why should DOUG be forced to be financially dependant on PHIL? I thought the idea was to give folks with disablement etc INDEPENDANCE. ???

Hear bloody hear!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Sassy wrote:Shut the fuck up Andy, that is just what Phil have been trying to do, and it's been very frustrating for him.

Oh, well I didn't know that did I?

So I came up with a very sensible idea which he came up with too?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Sassy wrote:Shut the fuck up Andy, that is just what Phil have been trying to do, and it's been very frustrating for him.

Yes you did, because he said about the business he is going to set up with his brother when the money comes through on another thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 pm

grumpy old git wrote:why should DOUG be forced to be financially dependant on PHIL? I thought the idea was to give folks with disablement etc INDEPENDANCE. ???

I'm sorry folks but that's exactly what happens in a relationship.

That's how benefits, incomes are calculated - as a household.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Wrong, disability allowance was always about the person, not about the family.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Sassy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Yes you did, because he said about the business he is going to set up with his brother when the money comes through on another thread.

No - I saw on another post that he mentioned he could sell a property and get 200 and whatever thousand.

I therefore think to myself "cheeky b4st4rd whinging about benefits".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Yes, you would jump to conclusions like that. Phil has had a very complicated, frustrating law and family situation to deal with. Not that it is any of your business.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Sassy wrote:Yes, you would jump to conclusions like that.   Phil has had a very complicated, frustrating law and family situation to deal with.    Not that it is any of your business.

....All tied up, as i have posted over a number of years, in bricks and mortar, and in long term savings accounts, both on shore and off shore.

None of the wealth could be realised, until after five years, after my Mum died....Because she had a partner, and she wanted to give him five years grace, to get himself together...and then to fuck off to put it politely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 am

...Not much was released to me from the original inheritance, because my mum knew...That i would need more of the capital to move Doug and i forward, where we wouldn't then have to rely on benefits...She was a very astute woman!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 am

Sounds like she was!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:07 am

@Andy
but they are not married, pretty sure they are legally not family confused 

Not really fair on Phil, it would be different if it was his Husband  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:10 am

...All that i got out of the original inheritance...Was money to pay for a new washing machine, a new flat screen TV, a new fridge freezer, and a new laptop!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am

Sassy wrote:Sounds like she was!

You weren't the one that tried to unravel it all!...That wasn't me!....I just did the funeral stuff!  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:15 am

...I must add that she mostly bought her clothing from charity shops!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 am

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

You just proved it is about guilt and not about whether he was in fact able to work. Most people everyday cope with life's problems and some people sadly take their own lives, yet you seek to blame a system that is seeking to end the lunacy of the last government where it allowed people to stay off work on benefits for the most ridiculous claims of not being able to work .

What you lefties fail to understand is that there is little reason why most people cannot work, as many can even when they have disabilities, but you would seek to pay people when they can work which is what is really wrong and also daft by the left as per usual.

So again you have chosen to not set up anything for this man, send his family anything and use his death to make a political statement which is disgusting    

What is disgusting is that this man was left isolated with a feeling of no hope to the extent that he ended his life and you actually believe that he was fit to work. That really says it all and I sincerely hope that the press do not let up on this and that they publish every single incident where this happens.
I'm sure the Tories and their nodding dogs would like it to go away but it won't and it shouldn't.

Thank you for proving my point again on guilt, so its the Governments fault is it, when others go out and get a job, because they want meaning to their lives and do not want to have to live off benefits. You have no evidence other than a biased newspaper article to claim he was not fit to work, again you use guilt proving my point. The sad reality is there is not many reasons people cannot work, the left have for ages mislead people into thinking they do not need to work, which I think is disgusting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 am

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

What is disgusting is that this man was left isolated with a feeling of no hope to the extent that he ended his life and you actually believe that he was fit to work. That really says it all and I sincerely hope that the press do not let up on this and that they publish every single incident where this happens.
I'm sure the Tories and their nodding dogs would like it to go away but it won't and it shouldn't.

Thank you for proving my point again on guilt, so its the Governments fault is it, when others go out and get a job, because they want meaning to their lives and do not want to have to live off benefits. You have no evidence other than a biased newspaper article to claim he was not fit to work, again you use guilt proving my point. The sad reality is there is not many reasons people cannot work, the left have for ages mislead people into thinking they do not need to work, which I think is disgusting.  

They and ATOS bear a heavy responsibility for what is happening and the press should continue to bring these cases to the attention of the general public. Please don't try and place the guilt cap on the press and people who highlight these incidents and instead out it on the heads of people who defend these clowns in power for what they do. You come into that category by trying to sweep it all under the carpet hoping it will go away but it won't - deal with it.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:36 am

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

They and ATOS bear a heavy responsibility for what is happening and the press should continue to bring these cases to the attention of the general public. Please don't try and place the guilt cap on the press and people who highlight these incidents and instead out it on the heads of people who defend these clowns in power for what they do. You come into that category by trying to sweep it all under the carpet hoping it will go away but it won't - deal with it.

The press can do as they please but to also be factual is also important and the fact is yet again you play off guilt, not whether the reality is like I stated many people just like in this case whether they are fit to work. The reality is many people can work and I find it appalling that we try to make it a point that people should not work when they can work that is the reality of the situation. Work provides achievements and pride for people to do instead of not doing anything and a feeling of earning your own money. Sadly the left think people should do nothing for money all the time and there will be little reasons why most people cannot work at the end of the day because most people can work. There are plenty of people with disabilities that do work and want to work and I applaud them Making out people cannot work sends the wrong message making them feel they are not able to do many things when we should be encouraging people that they can so they can at least try and live a normal life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 am

mmm what I want to know...

is why is the press being less that factual and biased when it reports these cases
but is entirely reliable, honest and upright when it spreads the propagand and myths about the unemployed etc...

AND STILL, no one has properly challenged my figures which PROVE the bile and hatred towards the less fortunate is not only unjustified, and fodder for the "bullies" but is built soley upon exaggeration and lies.???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 am

And they won't, so don't hold your breath.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm

grumpy old git wrote:mmm what I want to know...

is why is the press being less that factual and biased when it reports these cases
but is entirely reliable, honest and upright when it spreads the propagand and myths about the unemployed etc...

AND STILL, no one has properly challenged my figures which PROVE the bile and hatred towards the less fortunate is not only unjustified, and fodder for the "bullies" but is built soley upon exaggeration and lies.???

Are you telling me the press are not biased Victor, please. They all have their political leaning so please do not even bother to go there on that one. The reality as seen is guilt is used as a tool as if we should never check to see if people can actually work. I find it appalling that people would even try to deny people the chance to work of which many people can do even with disabilities, of which many who do have work every week. the fact is some people think because someone has a disability it automatically means they should never work, sorry but the reality most people can.

So again you prove my point on your utter garbage of using guilt, it is a tactic of the extreme left, when they clearly have no clue on the matter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
grumpy old git wrote:mmm what I want to know...

Are you telling me the press are not biased Victor, please. They all have their political leaning so please do not even bother to go there on that one. The reality as seen is guilt is used as a tool as if we should never check to see if people can actually work. I find it appalling that people would even try to deny people the chance to work of which many people can do even with disabilities, of which many who do have work every week. the fact is some people think because someone has a disability it automatically means they should never work, sorry but the reality most people can.

So again you prove my point on your utter garbage of using guilt, it is a tactic of the extreme left, when they clearly have no clue on the matter

well if guillt is a trick of the left, how come these tories have used it so much. as in making anyone getting benefits guilty of whatever people want to beleive they are, and not only guilt, but lies, lack of humanity and arrogance.

Just who the hell do you think YOU are to be telling folks that they are better off working (and you make it a general observation) when you dont KNOW these folks.....typical treasonous poisonous liberal
"I kmnow better than you and you should do as I say...regardless.  There are some, quite a lot in fact, who may be physically and mentally better off working I agree but there a some who would NOT benefit, and who indeed it may make them WORSE OFF. In your haste to save yourself a half penny tax, you will not even accept that ANY scheme must absolutely make sure that only the ones who will benefit go forward, those who it may harm  should be insulated as a FIRST concern, yet when I point this out you, drinky and the rest all start crying.

Lets face it YOUR concern is PURELY selfish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

grumpy old git wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

well if guillt is a trick of the left, how come these tories have used it so much. as in making anyone getting benefits guilty of whatever people want to beleive they are, and not only guilt, but lies, lack of humanity and arrogance.
Do they make them feel guilty, or do the people claiming themselves do, I know I would not being able to work and support myself

Just who the hell do you think YOU are to be telling folks that they are better off working (and you make it a general observation) when you dont KNOW these folks.....typical treasonous poisonous liberal
I am Phildidge thanks and know people with disabilities, all of whom work that say the exact same thing thanks, so keep your knickers on grandad silly wally and all of them feel better within themselves and have purpose with working
"I kmnow better than you and you should do as I say...regardless.
Really, just because you say so, when I had a sister handicapped and a niece as well, so I have no experince even though I have grown up around this and help disabled people, sure I know nothing Grandad  
 There are some, quite a lot in fact, who may be physically and mentally better off working I agree but there a some who would NOT benefit, and who indeed it may make them WORSE OFF.
Never claimed otherwise, mayve if you stopped being an angry doughnut you would see I said most can work, not all  

In your haste to save yourself a half penny tax, you will not even accept that ANY scheme must absolutely make sure that only the ones who will benefit go forward, those who it may harm  should be insulated as a FIRST concern, yet when I point this out you, drinky and the rest all start crying.
The scheme is not perfect but it is doing a better job than under Labour, where it was a case of just give everyone benefits, it needs work but as stated, there is little reason why most cannot work

Lets face it YOUR concern is PURELY selfish.

Absolute bullshit, my concern is that people have purpose like work, because I see the good it brings to people who when I first met them where very depressed having little meaning tot heir lives, so you are talking to someone who does know thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2