NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers

5 posters

Go down

U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers Empty U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Washington (AFP) - The US Supreme Court on Monday upheld the principle of setting legislative districts based on total population, unanimously rejecting a conservative challenge that would have disadvantaged urban areas with large immigrant populations.

The court ruled that the "one person, one vote" rule allows counting non-voters, including minors, prisoners, ex-convicts and immigrants.

"We hold, based on constitutional history, this court's decisions, and longstanding practice, that a state may draw its legislative districts based on total population," Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg wrote in delivering the court's opinion.

The plaintiffs -- Sue Evenwel and Edward Pfenninger -- argued that Texas should count only eligible voters in drawing up legislative districts of roughly equal size.

That would have favored rural areas with a high proportion of eligible voters in the allocation of legislative districts, over urban areas with larger absolute populations but a smaller proportion of eligible voters.

Since urban areas tend to vote Democratic and rural areas Republican, how the population is counted has a direct political impact.

If a state bases its electoral districting on the total population -- and all 50 states do -- people who are ineligible to vote are counted in the process.

These ineligible populations are usually present in larger numbers in urban areas.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-supreme-court-deals-setback-conservatives-texas-redistricting-150342060.html

We've been dealing with crap like this in the U.S. for decades now, because conservatives are afraid of large election turnouts. That's an insult to American values.

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers Empty Re: U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers

Post by eddie Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:12 pm

I thought that thread title said "Supreme Court smacks Texans"
I was like yeah.....smack them...smack them all
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers Empty Re: U.S. Supreme Court smacks down anti-democracy Texas right-wingers

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:16 pm

eddie wrote:I thought that thread title said "Supreme Court smacks Texans"
I was like yeah.....smack them...smack them all

You'd enjoy that, would you? I'd bet an entire jar of your best jam that you would.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Yep. I'd enjoy it whole lot more if you were slapped first too. cheers
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:08 pm

I thought jam jars were a taboo subject Shocked

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I thought jam jars were a taboo subject Shocked

Oh God, don't start her off again!
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Texas tries to revisit Baker v. Carr.  You see what can happen if even one conservative is dropped from the Court and they reason with only 8-justices.  Now, if we get our 9th non-conservative justice we can dismantle the rest of the hypocrites' programs.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down