NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study

+3
HoratioTarr
Raggamuffin
eddie
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study Empty Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:49 am

Depression is not governed by genes, according to a new study that says our environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy and that nurture can override nature. Even when rats are bred to be a bit on the down side, they still cheer up after the rodent equivalent of psychotherapy. The study also found that rats bred for depression and rats that were depressed due to their environment showed changes in the levels of entirely different blood markers for depression. Being able to differentiate between the two types of depression could eventually lead to more precise treatment with medication or psychotherapy, US academics from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine said.

Their work, published on Tuesday in the Nature journal Translational Psychiatry, provides hope for people who think they might be naturally predisposed to depression due to family history and offers more hope sufferers can be treated. Rats used in the study had been bred for depression-like behaviour for 33 generations and showed extreme despair. “You don’t have people who are completely genetically predisposed to depression the way the rats were,” Eva Redei, a Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, said. “If you can modify depression in these rats, you most certainly should be able to do it in humans.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/depression-not-governed-by-genes-and-environment-is-a-major-factor-when-it-comes-to-being-happy-a6958686.html

Back to top Go down

Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study Empty Re: Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:16 am

Also, it really is a proven that exercise (even walking for an hour) can really help to combat depression.
The problem is, of course, that when one is depressed it's getting up the gumption to actually go for a walk....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study Empty Re: Depression not governed by genes and environment is a major factor when it comes to being happy, claims new study

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 am

Some people with depression like to think of it as genetic because they prefer to think of it as something which is outside of their control.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Some people with depression like to think of it as genetic because they prefer to think of it as something which is outside of their control.

I'm of the mind that depression is a state of mind, but also can be attributed to a chemical imbalance in the brain caused by outside factors, lifestyle choices, upbringing, psychological trauma and pain, etc.   I don't think it's necessarily controllable once it's gotten a hold, and I also feel that too many antidepressants are pumped into people rather than trying to find out the root of the cause.  There are of course changes to your life  you can make to improve depression.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:41 pm

eddie wrote:Also, it really is a proven that exercise (even walking for an hour) can really help to combat depression.
The problem is, of course, that when one is depressed it's getting up the gumption to actually go for a walk....

That's where the personal choice comes in.  You really do have to force yourself.   But when someone's in that black hole, nothing will bring them out.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Sometimes too, there is a subtle difference between feeling "blue" and being actually depressed.
Depression is classified as having no want to get up and do anything...everything seems to be an effort.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:46 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Some people with depression like to think of it as genetic because they prefer to think of it as something which is outside of their control.

I'm of the mind that depression is a state of mind, but also can be attributed to a chemical imbalance in the brain caused by outside factors, lifestyle choices, upbringing, psychological trauma and pain, etc.   I don't think it's necessarily controllable once it's gotten a hold, and I also feel that too many antidepressants are pumped into people rather than trying to find out the root of the cause.  There are of course changes to your life  you can make to improve depression.

When I say "outside of their control", I mean they like to attribute it to something they can't blame themselves for. Others don't want it to be genetic because they would feel there's not much they can do about it.

Scientists know that there is an imbalance of some chemicals in the brain in depression - serotonin, for example. They don't know if that's a result of depression or the cause of it though.

What is a "state of mind" really? Are emotions caused by the interaction of chemicals, or do they cause the interaction of chemicals? Is there such a thing as a depressive personality?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Sometimes life is so horrible it causes depression.....when life gets back on track the depression lifts.
For some people though depression comes no matter what the outside influences are.....it just comes, like a black Dog as some sufferers describe it.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:50 pm

eddie wrote:Also, it really is a proven that exercise (even walking for an hour) can really help to combat depression.

It's probably helpful in mild depression, or to help prevent depression. Unfortunately, a lot of people with depression close the curtains and stay in the dark - which makes it worse because they're not getting any natural daylight which is important for the production of serotonin. They then get worse and worse.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

It's probably helpful in mild depression, or to help prevent depression. Unfortunately, a lot of people with depression close the curtains and stay in the dark - which makes it worse because they're not getting any natural daylight which is important for the production of serotonin. They then get worse and worse.

We were talking about depression once and you said something really helpful...listen to music.
It certainly lifts the spirits, it may not be a cure but it can help someone feel better short term.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:00 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

We were talking about depression once and you said something really helpful...listen to music.
It certainly lifts the spirits, it may not be a cure but it can help someone feel better short term.

Of course - and dance as well. If someone can feel a bit better even just for five minutes, they might see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Don't listen to ballads though - or anything dirge-like. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:04 pm

There are several types of course. For example, there's angst, ennui, and weltshmerz. The last one sounds a bit more interesting than "depression". Laughing

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58230/how-tell-whether-youve-got-angst-ennui-or-weltschmerz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Of course - and dance as well. If someone can feel a bit better even just for five minutes, they might see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Don't listen to ballads though - or anything dirge-like. Laughing

My dogs saved me when I had a very bad bout of depression, brought on by factors I could not control. Used to put their leads on the windowsill at night. Once my ex husband went to work early in the morning I would chuck the leads out the window before I had time to think about it, then the dogs would not let me pull the covers back over and gave me no peace until I took them for a long walk.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Yes sassy we've discussed this before. My mum's dogs saved her after my dad died.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:15 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

My dogs saved me when I had a very bad bout of depression, brought on by factors I could not control. Used to put their leads on the windowsill at night. Once my ex husband went to work early in the morning I would chuck the leads out the window before I had time to think about it, then the dogs would not let me pull the covers back over and gave me no peace until I took them for a long walk.

Yes - I can understand that.

That does raise the question - does having very little to do contribute to depression?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:15 pm

I must say that people with dogs generally do seem quite cheerful. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:16 pm

eddie wrote:Yes sassy we've discussed this before. My mum's dogs saved her after my dad died.

We have edds, what I would do without my dog I have no idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:19 pm

I wonder if the lifestyles which many people lead are mentally bad for them. Is it natural to sit in an office all day looking at a screen, for example? Are people in more practical or more energetic jobs generally less prone to depression?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I must say that people with dogs generally do seem quite cheerful. Laughing

Dogs are taken into some old folks homes so the residents can stroke them, it's calming for them.
Also most dogs need walking, so like Sassy said the owner cant stay in bed all day cos the dogs need taking out, and getting out of the house is often a help in fighting depression.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Also, what about the "peripheral" mental problems like OCD, hoarding disorder, social anxiety - that kind of thing? Do they lead to depression, or they a result of depression?

I find hoarding disorder quite interesting. I don't have it myself, but I do have a bit of a tendency to keep hold of stuff I don't need and to collect even more. It's quite time consuming trying to sort it out really. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I must say that people with dogs generally do seem quite cheerful. Laughing

Dogs are taken into some  old folks homes so the residents can stroke them, it's calming for them.
Also most dogs need walking, so like Sassy said the owner cant stay in bed all day cos the dogs need taking out, and getting out of the house is often a help in fighting depression.

Yes. I've already mentioned the importance of natural daylight, and of course exercise is helpful. Perhaps dog walking is particularly helpful because there's a purpose to going out - rather than just wandering around aimlessly. Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Dogs are taken into some  old folks homes so the residents can stroke them, it's calming for them.

Yes. I've already mentioned the importance of natural daylight, and of course exercise is helpful. Perhaps dog walking is particularly helpful because there's a purpose to going out - rather than just wandering around aimlessly. Razz

Yep....I think having a purpose in life helps to.
I imagine having no job is pretty depressing if you want to work.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Just staying on the subject of dogs, I would imagine, having a warm, furry little friend who asks for nothing but a walk, some food and some companionship, would be very comforting for someone who suffered dark moods and depression.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:03 pm

eddie wrote:Just staying on the subject of dogs, I would imagine, having a warm, furry little friend who asks for nothing but a walk, some food and some companionship, would be very comforting for someone who suffered dark moods and depression.

Me too. Of course one would have to be careful that it wasn't so bad that the dog was neglected or something.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:46 pm

eddie wrote:Sometimes too, there is a subtle difference between feeling "blue" and being actually depressed.
Depression is classified as having no want to get up and do anything...everything seems to be an effort.

I've been in the latter category -- nearly had to repeat a year of high school, because I just stopped doing school work.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Perhaps a lot of people develop it because they don't want to do what's expected of them. Who decided that the norm was to go to school anyway?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Perhaps a lot of people develop it because they don't want to do what's expected of them. Who decided that the norm was to go to school anyway?

probably the same folks who decided that "the christian work ethic" was a good idea

(and thats NOT a dig at religion Ragga.....thats what its called, also known as the "victorian work ethic" ...which says a lot)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Perhaps a lot of people develop it because they don't want to do what's expected of them. Who decided that the norm was to go to school anyway?

probably the same folks who decided that "the christian work ethic" was a good idea

(and thats NOT a dig at religion Ragga.....thats what its called, also known as the "victorian work ethic" ...which says a lot)

People are expected to follow much the same path in life, and if they don't want to, they either need a whole load of money or go on the streets really. I should think that feeling like a square peg in a round hole all the time might make someone people depressed.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The reason music lifts us is because it's a certain vibration we resonate with.   That's what I believe anyway  tongue
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:14 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

The reason music lifts us is because it's a certain vibration we resonate with.   That's what I believe anyway  tongue

How about a bit of Northern Soul accompanied by some fancy footwork, backdrops, and spins? Nobody could be depressed after that. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:15 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

My dog helped me too at a very bad time in my life.   He was so attuned, he knew when I was sad or needed a doggy cuddle.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

How about a bit of Northern Soul accompanied by some fancy footwork, backdrops, and spins? Nobody could be depressed after that. Laughing

ah happy days   tongue
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm

[quote="HoratioTarr"]
sassy wrote:

My dog helped me too at a very bad time in my life.   He was so attuned, he knew when I was sad or needed a doggy cuddle.[/quoteu]

Hooray for dogs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:17 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

ah happy days   tongue

I was at a "do" the other night where they played a lot of Northern Soul. It was fab!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:17 pm

sassy wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

My dog helped me too at a very bad time in my life.   He was so attuned, he knew when I was sad or needed a doggy cuddle.[/quoteu]

Hooray for dogs!

Yeah, everybody should have some woofter love in their lives.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

ah happy days   tongue

I was at a "do" the other night where they played a lot of Northern Soul. It was fab!

Did  you used to do that fancy footwork back in the day?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I'd be very depressed after that, I'd be in hospital!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:19 pm

You've hit the nail on the head.  Not about school exactly, but about square pegs in round holes.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:27 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No - I do now though. Well I try. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

You've hit the nail on the head.  Not about school exactly, but about square pegs in round holes.

Yeah - Somewhere along the line someone decided that it was a really good idea to pursue a certain lifestyle, and they thought everyone else would enjoy it too, but not everyone does. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:29 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'd be very depressed after that, I'd be in hospital!

Maybe leave out the backdrops and spins then. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Sometimes too, there is a subtle difference between feeling "blue" and being actually depressed.

I've been in the latter category -- nearly had to repeat a year of high school, because I just stopped doing school work.

I mean this sincerely, I think that just sounds horrible Ben. I can't even comprehend how horrible that must be to feel like that.
Im bad enough when I feel a bit down, or worried, or stressed.

My brother used to be depressed ( he's much better now as he's not on meds and back working) but he used to have panic attacks. I asked him what feeling depressed was like once, and he said "For me it's like this....Imagine the worst thing in the world happening to you...see how that's makes your body feel? Well that's how I feel all the time"

I can tell you now when I did imagine "the worst thing in the world happening to me" my stomach hurt, my head pounded and my breathing was shallow. I felt sick.

I've never forgotten that
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 pm

That's really weird. I could have sworn I read your post before I posted my last one eddie. scratch
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:34 pm

You,did! I went to edit it and pressed delete instead! And even said yes when it asked if I was sure!! lol!
Lucky I'd copied it - always copy long posts cos I've lost them loads of times in here by a time out error
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:38 pm

eddie wrote:You,did! I went to edit it and pressed delete instead! And even said yes when it asked if I was sure!! lol!
Lucky I'd copied it - always copy long posts cos I've lost them loads of times in here by a time out error

Phew! I thought I'd suddenly developed the gift of second sight. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Hahahaha no just my stupidity and trying to multi task with my TV
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:03 pm

I used to get depression......

then I divorced the ex.......

ahhhhh.....................................................relax.........................................................
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Would never have pegged you for a northern soul girl! Had a brilliant lecturer at uni who did her thesis on the subculture around northern soul. Brilliant.

Re the OP, one in four of us will suffer from some form of mental illness. Talking therapies like CBT are very effective but expensive, that's why pills are the easy option for GPs. There are many factors that can contribute to depression and anxiety.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:38 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Would never have pegged you for a northern soul girl! Had a brilliant lecturer at uni who did her thesis on the subculture around northern soul. Brilliant.

Re the OP, one in four of us will suffer from some form of mental illness. Talking therapies like CBT are very effective but expensive, that's why pills are the easy option for GPs. There are many factors that can contribute to depression and anxiety.

Wow! What a great subject to do a thesis on! Laughing

I've always liked Northern Soul - and Motown of course. There seems to be loads of fans still - you can always spot them by the way they dance. I don't wear high heels these days so the dancing's a bit easier. Laughing

To be fair, drugs are pretty effective for depression. They get a bad rep but they helps loads of people. They should be a last resort though really as they can have side effects, and taking drugs shouldn't be done at the drop of a hat.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Pfffft

CBT

Coercive Bullying and Thrashing

prdicated on the techniques of the kgb for political reorientation

also an acronym for Cock and Ball Torture

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next