NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her.

+2
Major
Syl
6 posters

Go down

OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her. Empty OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her.

Post by Syl Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/first-picture-brit-oap-who-7649012

A very odd story.

She and her husband had reportedly had a row....he caught an easy jet flight and returned home. She thought he was on the ship and tried to swim after it.
She almost died in the water, rescuers say her large handbag, which she had held on to, probably saved her life as it kept her afloat.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her. Empty Re: OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her.

Post by Syl Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 pm

I don't know Stormee, it's a very odd story.
She could have some sort of mental illness......my first thought was what a creep her husband was catching a flight home and not letting her know.

I know couples have rows but blimey.....that's a bit much.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her. Empty Re: OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her.

Post by Syl Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Stormee wrote:
Syl wrote:I don't know Stormee, it's a very odd story.
She could have some sort of mental illness......my first thought was what a creep her husband was catching a flight home and not letting her know.

I know couples have rows but blimey.....that's a bit much.

That is nowt compared to what happened to me Syl.
I came home from school to find my mum and dad had moved house not telling me.

That's awful Stormee.....I bet they were really disappointed when you found them again. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Firstly, don't ships have to do some kind of headcount before setting off?
Secondly, how entirely stupid do you have to be, to think you can swim out to sea and catch up to a cruise ship??
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:43 pm

eddie wrote:Firstly, don't ships have to do some kind of headcount before setting off?
Secondly, how entirely stupid do you have to be, to think you can swim out to sea and catch up to a cruise ship??

Doing a head count would take too long surely?   You can't do that every time people disembark at each port.
She clearly was either desperate or a bit unhinged.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 pm

A headcount is a must. How would it take a long time, you are signed in and out, by yourself or a member of the crew?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:23 pm

I have never been on a cruise but I should think they do headcounts when people leave and board, anyone could slip on board if they didn't.

They wouldn't wait for passengers if they didn't return on time though, they have a schedule to keep.

According to witnesses Susan Brown, the pensioner who tried to swim to her cruise ship, was attending an Easter Mass in church at the same time the ship left the port. She entered the water 2 hours later, when the ship would not have even been visible.
She was transferred from hospital in Portugal to a womans psychiatric centre to be assessed

Her husband who flew home without her knowledge after a row has not been seen at their home so far.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:47 pm

eddie wrote:A headcount is a must. How would it take a long time, you are signed in and out, by yourself or a member of the crew?

From Virgin Holiday Cruises...

Our ships carry hundreds of passengers who embark and disembark several times throughout the duration of the cruise, so we can’t always count heads to make sure everyone is back onboard the ship.

http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/cruise-guide/going-ashore/do-cruise-ships-ever-leave-passengers-behind
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Syl wrote:I have never been on a cruise but I should think they do headcounts when people leave and board, anyone could slip on board if they didn't.

They wouldn't wait for passengers if they didn't return on time though, they have a schedule to keep.

According to witnesses Susan Brown, the pensioner who tried to swim to her cruise ship, was attending an Easter Mass in church at the same time the  ship left the port. She entered the water 2 hours later, when the ship would not have even been visible.
She was transferred from hospital in Portugal  to a womans psychiatric centre to be assessed

Her husband who flew home without her knowledge after a row has not been seen at their home so far.

I think some of them have a computerized card system so you log in and out at each port, but clearly not all of them do.  And if you fell overboard, how would any logging system miss you, as you've already signed in and clearly wouldn't sign out before you hit the briney.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Syl wrote:I have never been on a cruise but I should think they do headcounts when people leave and board, anyone could slip on board if they didn't.

According to witnesses Susan Brown, the pensioner who tried to swim to her cruise ship, was attending an Easter Mass in church at the same time the  ship left the port. She entered the water 2 hours later, when the ship would not have even been visible.
She was transferred from hospital in Portugal  to a womans psychiatric centre to be assessed

He's a twat for doing that.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:42 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:A headcount is a must. How would it take a long time, you are signed in and out, by yourself or a member of the crew?

From Virgin Holiday Cruises...

Our ships carry hundreds of passengers who embark and disembark several times throughout the duration of the cruise, so we can’t always count heads to make sure everyone is back onboard the ship.

http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/cruise-guide/going-ashore/do-cruise-ships-ever-leave-passengers-behind

Right....I stand corrected.

I would have thought counting people who got back on would be a priority....I wonder if they ever get stowaways on cruise ships.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:43 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

That's exactly what I thought. OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her. 2215183653
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:52 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I think some of them have a computerized card system so you log in and out at each port, but clearly not all of them do.  And if you fell overboard, how would any logging system miss you, as you've already signed in and clearly wouldn't sign out before you hit the briney.

That's a good point.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

That's exactly what I thought. OAP swims after cruise ship after it sails without her. 2215183653

She might have died, and then it would have been his fault.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:53 pm

morally....maybe but it would be very very tennuous

legally no way.....

there is no way to show that he could reasonably have forseen that she would do this
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Lord Foul wrote:morally....maybe but it would be very very tennuous

legally   no way.....

there is no way to show that he could reasonably have forseen that she would do this

He should be ashamed.   No matter the row, I'd have never left someone alone  like that.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm

He sounds like a right charmer doesn't he?
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:38 pm

There are now conflicting views as to why this lady was on the water.
Local police have not been allowed to question her yet, she is reported to be suffering from ongoing medical problems and is still very confused.
There is now doubt that she tried to swim after the cruise ship as it would have been well out of sight by the time she entered the water. Perhaps it was a suicide attempt.

No matter what it was, her husband acted horribly in leaving her when she was obviously unwell.
The last report on him is that he is still 'holed up in his house in Dorset'.

I have to say some older people can act really badly on holiday.
Not long ago a couple who were staying in the same hotel as us argued repeatedly. They were at the airport the same time as we were when we were coming home. He had to be restrained by airport security because he started hitting her with his stick....they were both in their 70's.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down