NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78

3 posters

Go down

Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78 Empty Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:01 pm

In the waning years of his life, Jim Harrison split his time between the countryside near Livingston, Mont., and small-town Patagonia, Ariz. The prolific poet and novelist, who famously sported a luscious beard and mustache that many likened to that of Pancho Villa, spent his days hunting, cooking and writing to the end.

Harrison died March 26 at his home in Patagonia, his publisher, Grove Atlantic, confirmed to the Associated Press. He was 78.

“Jim Harrison is a writer with immortality in him,” a Sunday Times of London reviewer once said, an assessment that would be repeated over and over — on book jackets and by his legion of admirers.

The author of more than 30 books, Harrison was a lifelong outdoorsman who gained wide renown after the publication, in his middle age, of his best-selling 1979 novella, “Legends of the Fall.” The story, which follows the journey of three brothers from Montana to Alberta to fight in the Canadian forces before the Americans’ entry into World War I, cemented the kind of storytelling for which Harrison was known: moral, dark and resplendent with descriptions of the natural world.

“His voice came from the American heartland and his deep and abiding love of the American landscape runs through his extraordinary body of work,” Grove Atlantic chief executive Morgan Entrekin said in a statement to the AP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/28/jim-harrison-prolific-author-and-outdoorsman-dies-at-78/

“I like grit, I like love and death, I'm tired of irony. ... A lot of good fiction is sentimental. ... The novelist who refuses sentiment refuses the full spectrum of human behavior, and then he just dries up. ... I would rather give full vent to all human loves and disappointments, and take a chance on being corny, than die a smartass.” - Jim Harrison
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78 Empty Re: Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78

Post by eddie Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 pm

I have no idea who he is, but I like his quote.
And he sported a "luscious beard" so rest in peace my man.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78 Empty Re: Writer/outdoorsman Jim Harrison dies age 78

Post by Cass Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:13 am

Legends of the Fall is a great book/film.

A few librarian friends knew him personally.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down