NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter - Page 2 Empty Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter - Page 2 Bedroom-tax-scandal-Kelly-Marie-2980710

A struggling mother must pay Bedroom Tax on a room used as a vital sensory haven for her severely disabled daughter.

Kelly Marie, who is blind and unable to walk and talk, relies on the room which contains a ball pool and is used to store the 28-year-old's wheelchairs.

But the Government has decided the room is 'spare', meaning mother Dawn Lennon must stump to more than £570 of Bedroom Tax cash a year.

It has left 52-year-old on the bread line, even cutting back on food to try and make ends meet.

Mrs Lennon said: "It’s going to be a real struggle. The room is not being used as a bedroom, it’s a light room for Kelly Marie, with a ball pool in it.

“I also keep the wheelchairs and other things in there that I use to push her around the house because she can’t walk and I can’t lift her.”

Although she has been awarded a discretionary housing payment that should cover the shortfall for the start of the year, she soon risks running into arrears on her Liverpool Housing Trust bungalow.

Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter - Page 2 Dawn-Lennon-Bedroom-Tax-2979162

Struggle: Dawn and Kelly Marie
Mrs Lennon is one of up to 30,000 people across Merseyside who have been hit with the bedroom tax who between them face paying up to £16m a year.

Mrs Lennon, of Castlefields, Runcorn, added: “I’m having to cut back on everything, absolutely everything.

“I have to cut back on food and just get the basics in and look for the cheapest things all the time.

“And it’s not even a bedroom at all. It makes me so angry when I think about it.”

Studies by housing associations campaigning against the Bedroom Tax have found a significant proportion of people eligible to pay it are either disabled or carers for disabled people.

The Bedroom Tax, which was introduced on April 1, means a property with one spare room suffers a 14% cut in housing benefit for council and housing association tenants and two spare rooms bringing about a 25% slashing.

Single adults and couples are allowed a room each and children under 16 of the same sex have to share. Under 10s of both sexes must share.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesman said: “Reform of housing benefit is essential.

“However, we are giving local authorities £150m Discretionary Housing Payment funding this year to support vulnerable people, including £25m to help people who live in accommodation that has been adapted for their disabilities.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bedroom-tax-dawn-lennon-must-2979313#ixzz2pGYNXcG8
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Twisted Evil  Criminal acts being committed by a criminal and twisted coalition government.......Time to get rid.

Back to top Go down

Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter - Page 2 Empty Re: Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Nobody, but nobody, knows for certain they won't lose their job. And you could have been a wonderful tenant for years, but landlords now are talking about not accepting tenants on housing benefit, including the working ones, and if they go onto housing benefit, not renewing the lease.

Shelter is very concerned that this is going to lead to ghettos of really bad housing that are the only places that will accept housing benefit. Slums in other words.

Back to top Go down

Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter - Page 2 Empty Re: Mum forced to pay Bedroom Tax on sensory room for severely disabled daughter

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Ms Smith would not be eligible for housing benefit as a single person working on a wage sufficient to pay £80 but insufficient to pay £120.

Why is it unreasonable for a working person to have things an non working person does not?

Is it unreasonable for non coeliac to be able to eat wheat flour?  After all its not the coeliacs fault they are sensitive to gluten so maybe we better force everyone to stop eating wheat.

Or maybe we better put the unemployed in the most expensive homes and force the people working to live on the streets because after all its not the fault of the unemployed they have no money is it.

See, your making up the scenario to suit your argument by deciding how much Ms Smith will be paid in a few years time. Maybe she'll be on the dole and after all those years that she has worked and paid her rent she'll be kicked out of the home she has maintained and decorated for years because through no fault of her own she has lost her job.

Punish the unemployed then.

While I know that I am horrendous at explaining things you are just dodging the issue.

Ms Smith and Ms Jones got 3 bed houses several years ago because they had 2 children one of each sex. Now the children have left home. Ms Smith works now Ms Jones does not work now. Due to the level of her working and benefits rules prior to the change in rules on housing benefits Ms Smith would have had no choice but to move to a smaller cheaper property while Ms Jones would have been able to remain with no cost to her. Now the rules have changed both Ms Smith and Ms Jones are forced to look for smaller cheaper properties. They are not being kicked out they just cannot afford it.

Of course you would much prefer it that Ms Smith was given extra money so she could stay in the 3 bed house also but guess what society can no longer afford that.

Consistently through out this the only person whose viewpoint you look from is that of Ms Jones. You dont look from Ms Smiths. You dont look from the families with 3 children stuck in 2 bed flats. You are not interested in the rights of those that are employed and working only in the rights of those who do not work - whether they are at fault or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

If Mrs Jones and Mrs Smith were friends, I'm sure each would be very glad that they could stay in the home where all their memories are, where they have room for their children to visit, and that they have loved and cherished for so many years.

And your point is not valid, because there are more people in larger homes looking for smaller than the other way round, and thats fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

See, your making up the scenario to suit your argument by deciding how much Ms Smith will be paid in a few years time. Maybe she'll be on the dole and after all those years that she has worked and paid her rent she'll be kicked out of the home she has maintained and decorated for years because through no fault of her own she has lost her job.

While I know that I am horrendous at explaining things you are just dodging the issue.

Ms Smith and Ms Jones got 3 bed houses several years ago because they had 2 children one of each sex.  Now the children have left home.  Ms Smith works now Ms Jones does not work now.  Due to the level of her working and benefits rules prior to the change in rules on housing benefits Ms Smith would have had no choice but to move to a smaller cheaper property while Ms Jones would have been able to remain with no cost to her.  Now the rules have changed both Ms Smith and Ms Jones are forced to look for smaller cheaper properties.  They are not being kicked out they just cannot afford it.

Of course you would much prefer it that Ms Smith was given extra money so she could stay in the 3 bed house also but guess what society can no longer afford that.

Consistently through out this the only person whose viewpoint you look from is that of Ms Jones.  You dont look from Ms Smiths.  You dont look from the families with 3 children stuck in 2 bed flats.  You are not interested in the rights of those that are employed and working only in the rights of those who do not work - whether they are at fault or not.

I'm not dodging anything. I don't believe in punishing the unemployed and it's time you stopped dodging by telling either Smith or Jones that they are being kicked out to a smaller property even though there isn't any suitable accommodation available.
Well I suppose there is also Kent who have produced a report that shows the effects all this is having on people. Have you read it?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Ms Smith and Ms Jones got 3 bed houses several years ago because they had 2 children one of each sex.  Now the children have left home.  Ms Smith works now Ms Jones does not work now.  Due to the level of her working and benefits rules prior to the change in rules on housing benefits Ms Smith would have had no choice but to move to a smaller cheaper property while Ms Jones would have been able to remain with no cost to her.  Now the rules have changed both Ms Smith and Ms Jones are forced to look for smaller cheaper properties.  They are not being kicked out they just cannot afford it.

Consistently through out this the only person whose viewpoint you look from is that of Ms Jones.  You dont look from Ms Smiths.  You dont look from the families with 3 children stuck in 2 bed flats.  You are not interested in the rights of those that are employed and working only in the rights of those who do not work - whether they are at fault or not.

NONsense...I have made the point times here already....the cost of benefits (excluding pensions) is miniscule in relation to the rest of the govt's spending...YOU KNOW this, (or should), but of course if you admit to understanding this it blows all your arguments out of the water, thats why every time i mention it it gets blanked....It causes cognitive dissonance in the R/W....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 pm

OK one street of 50 odd houses
3 beds under occupied = 2
2 beds under occupied = 1
2 beds overcrowded = 4.

That ladies and gentleman is reality where I live and indications are that this pattern is repeated at least in the local town if not the whole local council area.

I am exposed every day to people who are over crowded and desperate to get into a bigger property. I am afraid that for me their suffering is far worse than that of the people being asked to swap with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:13 pm

I don't know what point you think you are making.   That might be true of your street.   Nationwide people are desperate to move into smaller houses because of the bedroom tax and there are not enough smaller houses for them to move into. So instead of dealing with it in areas like yours, which would be sensible, the whole country is being punished for something that only happens is some areas and is the opposite in many.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:16 pm

What they should be doing is building smaller properties and giving grants to people who are in larger properties and want to move, then, if there is an inbalance, build larger properties. But that wouldn't make people miserable and is too logical for this lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Sassy wrote:I don't know what point you think you are making.   That might be true of your street.   Nationwide people are desperate to move into smaller houses because of the bedroom tax and there are not enough smaller houses for them to move into.

I will take your word for it - although I have been shown letters from people in larger houses turning down exchanges with overcrowded families. I have had people crying with frustration at how often it has happened. People had home the change in rules would give them a chance to get a big enough home and that belief is being proved wrong.

Every time I see the stories about people suffering because they rule change means they have to pay extra I just see the tears of people unable to get a large enough home. I want to scream because it seems nobody cares about the people who are overcrowded.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Perhaps you will trust Government figures, you don't have to take my word, I go by facts:

The Government’s justification for its controversial “bedroom tax” has been debunked by new figures showing that up to 96 per cent of those affected have, in effect, nowhere to move.

The figures published today in The Independent expose the false argument behind ministerial attempts to spin the move as ending the “spare-room subsidy”, and confirm campaigners’ claims that it merely penalises poor people.

The policy means that tenants have their housing benefit reduced by 14 per cent if they have one spare bedroom, and 25 per cent if they have two or more spare bedrooms.

Yet more than 19 out of 20 families hit by the bedroom tax are trapped in their larger homes because there is nowhere smaller within the local social housing stock to take them. This is shown by figures provided by councils in response to Freedom of Information requests by the Labour Party.

For the 38 councils that provided full data, 99,079 families are expected to be affected by the bedroom tax, but only 3,803 one and two-bedroom social housing properties are available – just 3.8 per cent of the homes required to rehouse the families who are hit.

Another 26 councils who responded said they expected a total of 45,669 families to be affected, but were unable to say how many smaller properties were available in their area.

Liam Byrne, the shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, said: “The big lie behind this Government’s spiteful bedroom tax is now plain for all to see. Ministers like to claim it’s not a tax, but the truth is more than 96 per cent of those hit have nowhere to move to.

“This hated tax is trapping thousands of families, forcing vulnerable people to food banks and loan sharks, and there is now a serious danger it could end up costing Britain more than it saves as tenants are forced to go homeless or move into the expensive private rented sector. David Cameron’s bedroom tax is the worst possible combination of cruelty and incompetence. He should drop it now.”

The situation is affecting local authorities around the country. In Birmingham, 13,557 households are affected by the bedroom tax, but just 368 one and two-bedroom properties are currently unoccupied. In Cornwall, meanwhile, there are just 65 one and two-bedroom homes and more than 3,300 people eligible to be charged for under-occupancy.

Steve Turner, executive director for policy at Unite, said: “These figures show beyond any doubt that Iain Duncan Smith has been misleading the public. He tried to spin the bedroom tax as a way of managing housing stock, but in fact it is a cruel and callous attack on some of the most vulnerable people in our communities.”

“The evidence now overwhelmingly shows that the Government has made a grave mistake with this policy. They must abandon it now before more lives are destroyed.”

In Sefton, Merseyside, more than 3,600 people were competing for 18 available one and two-bedroom properties at the time of the FOI. Kevin Appleton, income manager at One Vision Housing, which manages Sefton Council’s waiting list, said that the situation was now even more stark.

“As of today we’ve got 8,360 people on the waiting list. Of these, 4,859 want one-bedroom homes and on this week’s adverts we had just six available. It’s making life very hard for people whose lives were hard anyway. The demand for three-bed properties has fallen through the floor,” he said.

Louise Harding, head of tenant services at the Coast and Country Housing association in Redcar, said in one of their worst-hit areas there were 53 three-bedroom properties empty and queues of people desperate to downsize. “It’s appalling,” she said. “We’ve got 1,100 people wanting to downsize to a one-bedroom property and on average we only have around 30 available every year. At this rate it will take 37 years for all those people to get one-bedroom homes. The iniquity of it is shocking; this about money-making.”

More than half of those affected by the policy have a disability – and campaigners say they will appeal against last week’s High Court decision that it did not discriminate against disabled people, who often need an extra room in which to sleep alone.

The Government announced last Tuesday that it would increase the emergency funds available for those affected by increased housing costs by £35m. But the handouts, known as discretionary housing payments, are a fraction of the millions needed to cover people’s shortfall in rent.

The chief executive of Citizens Advice, Gillian Guy, said: “Discretionary housing payments are worth only a small fraction of the total cut in housing benefit and are often only temporary, meaning problems can go unresolved.”

She added: “This is an upside-down approach to policy-making which doesn’t get to the root cause of why housing benefit costs have increased. We have a chronic shortage of affordable housing in the UK with over 1.8 million households on waiting lists. As long as this dire lack of housing options exists then the Government can’t reasonably tell people they have a choice about downsizing to a smaller home.”

Chris Goulden, head of poverty at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, said: “It is very difficult to see how this policy can work without causing severe hardship, particularly as many of those affected are disabled people. The housing benefit bill could also rise if more people move into the private rented sector because of a shortage of one or two-bedroom properties in social housing.”

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said: “This ignores the fact that people may move to housing in the private sector and not all tenants will have to downsize because they could make up any shortfall through getting a job or increasing their working hours. These reforms will save the taxpayer £1bn over the next two years and help to ensure a better use of our housing stock when in England alone there are nearly two million households on the social housing waiting list, and over a quarter of a million tenants are living in overcrowded homes.”

While the DWP argues that social housing tenants who want to downsize could instead spend their housing benefit on private accommodation, there is already a major shortage of small, cheap private accommodation.

It would also defeat the cost-cutting aim of the whole policy, since the housing benefit payable for a private one-bedroom place is often more than for a two-bedroom council house. Saving enough for the deposit needed for private housing is a further issue – and a near-impossibility for those already struggling with rent arrears because of the bedroom tax.

Spotlight: Trapped by the tax

Since the introduction of the bedroom tax, thousands of families in the Cotswolds have been trapped in larger properties that they are penalised for by the new charge.

In Wiltshire, there were no unoccupied one- and two-bedroom properties at all, for 2,953 affected households, though 48 were advertised as being available shortly. The situation is similar in Gloucestershire, which had just three suitable properties for 540 people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/big-lie-behind-the-bedroom-tax-families-trapped-with-nowhere-to-move-face-penalty-for-having-spare-room-8745597.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Sassy wrote:What they should be doing is building smaller properties and giving grants to people who are in larger properties and want to move, then, if there is an inbalance, build larger properties.   But that wouldn't make people miserable and is too logical for this lot.

Where I live they are building many more 2 beds than anything else (and have been for over 10 years) and then putting families that need 3 beds into them because they dont have any spare 3 beds.

As for wanting to move- nobody is ever going to want to move out of the home where they raised their children (or rather very very few are) - its the family home and the children having left does not change that. The problem is people who are working are forced to face the question of whether they can afford to live there (far more home owners move than social tenants) while for years people whose rent was paid for them have not even had to consider the question. I know people dont want to move but it cannot be right that people who pay their own rent are forced by circumstances while those that dont are not. Benefits are supposed to be a safety net - a not going to starve or be homeless net - they were never supposed to be a better off than some people working.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Read the above.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Sassy wrote:Perhaps you will trust Government figures, you don't have to take my word, I go by facts:

The Government’s justification for its controversial “bedroom tax” has been debunked by new figures showing that up to 96 per cent of those affected have, in effect, nowhere to move.

The figures published today in The Independent expose the false argument behind ministerial attempts to spin the move as ending the  “spare-room subsidy”, and confirm campaigners’ claims that it merely penalises poor people.

The policy means that tenants have their housing benefit reduced by 14 per cent if they have one spare bedroom, and 25 per cent if they have two or more spare bedrooms.

Yet more than 19 out of 20 families  hit by the bedroom tax are trapped in their larger homes because there is nowhere smaller within the local social housing stock to take them. This is shown by figures provided by councils in response to Freedom of Information requests by the Labour Party.

For the 38 councils that provided full data, 99,079 families are expected to be affected by the bedroom tax, but only 3,803 one and two-bedroom social housing properties are available – just 3.8 per cent of the homes required to rehouse the families who are hit.

Another 26 councils who responded said they expected a total of 45,669 families to be affected, but were unable to say how many smaller properties were available in their area.

Liam Byrne, the shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, said: “The big lie behind this Government’s spiteful bedroom tax is now plain for all to see. Ministers like to claim it’s not a tax, but the truth is more than 96 per cent of those hit have nowhere to move to.

“This hated tax is trapping thousands of families, forcing vulnerable people to food banks and loan sharks, and there is now a serious danger it could end up costing Britain more than it saves as tenants are forced to go homeless or move into the expensive private rented sector. David Cameron’s bedroom tax is the worst possible combination of cruelty and incompetence. He should drop it now.”

The situation is affecting local authorities around the country. In Birmingham, 13,557 households are affected by the bedroom tax, but just 368 one and two-bedroom properties are currently unoccupied. In Cornwall, meanwhile, there are just 65 one and two-bedroom homes and more than 3,300 people eligible to be charged for under-occupancy.

Steve Turner, executive director for policy at Unite, said: “These figures show beyond any doubt that Iain Duncan Smith has been misleading the public. He tried to spin the bedroom tax as a way of managing housing stock, but in fact it is a cruel and callous attack on some of the most vulnerable people in our communities.”

“The evidence now overwhelmingly shows that the Government has made a grave mistake with this policy. They must abandon it now before more lives are destroyed.”

In Sefton, Merseyside, more than 3,600 people were competing for 18 available one and two-bedroom properties at the time of the FOI. Kevin Appleton, income manager at One Vision Housing, which manages Sefton Council’s waiting list, said that the situation was now even more stark.

“As of today we’ve got 8,360 people on the waiting list. Of these, 4,859 want one-bedroom homes and on this week’s adverts we had just six available. It’s making life very hard for people whose lives were hard anyway. The demand for three-bed properties has fallen through the floor,” he said.

Louise Harding, head of tenant services at the Coast and Country Housing association in Redcar, said in one of their worst-hit areas there were 53 three-bedroom properties empty and queues of people desperate to downsize. “It’s appalling,” she said. “We’ve got 1,100 people wanting to downsize to a one-bedroom property and on average we only have around 30 available every year. At this rate it will take 37 years for all those people to get one-bedroom homes. The iniquity of it is shocking; this about money-making.”

More than half of those affected by the policy have a disability – and campaigners say they will appeal against last week’s High Court decision that it did not discriminate against disabled people, who often need an extra room in which to sleep alone.

The Government announced last Tuesday that it would increase the emergency funds available for those affected by increased housing costs by £35m. But the handouts, known as discretionary housing payments, are a fraction of the millions needed to cover people’s shortfall in rent.

The chief executive of Citizens Advice, Gillian Guy, said: “Discretionary housing payments are worth only a small fraction of the total cut in housing benefit and are often only temporary, meaning problems can go unresolved.”

She added: “This is an upside-down approach to policy-making which doesn’t get to the root cause of why housing benefit costs have increased. We have a chronic shortage of affordable housing in the UK with over 1.8 million households on waiting lists.  As long as this dire lack of housing options exists then the Government can’t reasonably tell people they have a choice about downsizing to a smaller home.”

Chris Goulden, head of poverty at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, said: “It is very difficult to see how this policy can work without causing severe hardship, particularly as many of those affected are disabled people. The housing benefit bill could also rise if more people move into the private rented sector because of a shortage of one or two-bedroom properties in social housing.”

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said: “This ignores the fact that people may move to housing in the private sector and not all tenants will have to downsize because they could make up any shortfall through getting a job or increasing their working hours. These reforms will save the taxpayer £1bn over the next two years and help to ensure a better use of our housing stock when in England alone there are nearly two million households on the social housing waiting list, and over a quarter of a million tenants are living in overcrowded homes.”

While the DWP argues that social housing tenants who want to downsize could instead spend their housing benefit on private accommodation, there is already a major shortage of small, cheap private accommodation.

It would also defeat the cost-cutting aim of the whole policy, since the housing benefit payable for a private one-bedroom place is often more than for a two-bedroom council house. Saving enough for the deposit needed for private housing is a further issue – and a near-impossibility for those already struggling with rent arrears because of the bedroom tax.

Since the introduction of the bedroom tax, thousands of families in the Cotswolds have been trapped in larger properties that they are penalised for by the new charge.

In Wiltshire, there were no unoccupied one- and two-bedroom properties at all, for 2,953 affected households, though 48 were advertised as being available shortly. The situation is similar in Gloucestershire, which had just three suitable properties for 540 people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/big-lie-behind-the-bedroom-tax-families-trapped-with-nowhere-to-move-face-penalty-for-having-spare-room-8745597.html

That is all about available and unoccupied properties which there were never many of in the first place. I was always under the impression that people were supposed to do mutual exchanges not move into available properties. So in this street you have an overcrowded 2 bed and in that street an under occupied 3 bed so the 2 swap and bobs your uncle you have 2 correctly occupied properties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:38 pm

well well. at last a fiure on costs and from old IDS himself...it will save 1 billion

hmmm...INCOME tax receipts were 156billion in 2011-12 (this from the tax office stats)
so it will save each tax payer 1/156th of his total tax bill erm thats 0.64% thats 64 pence per £100 paid in tax

OMG we're all going to be rich( this of course ignores tax from all other sources such as vat duty etc so the real figure is much much less)

EDIT with full figures ...All taxes were 543 billion in 20011-12 so the saving is 1/543 or 0.185% thats 18.5pence per £100 spent in taxes of all kinds by the tax payer...and dont forget those on benefits DO pay tax...vat duty etc....

you couldnt make it up could you, so much unnecessary misery for so little

AND still the fact that the whole thing is nothing but a scam is not challenged

COME ON......the R/W is sacred of the truth ...remember cognitive dissonance...

the benefit bill (less pensions) is insignificant in terms of govt spending......PROVE ME WRONG....YOU CANT

Last edited by grumpy old git on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : full figure now included)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 pm

sphinx wrote:
Sassy wrote:Perhaps you will trust Government figures, you don't have to take my word, I go by facts:

The figures published today in The Independent expose the false argument behind ministerial attempts to spin the move as ending the  “spare-room subsidy”, and confirm campaigners’ claims that it merely penalises poor people.

Yet more than 19 out of 20 families  hit by the bedroom tax are trapped in their larger homes because there is nowhere smaller within the local social housing stock to take them. This is shown by figures provided by councils in response to Freedom of Information requests by the Labour Party.

She added: “This is an upside-down approach to policy-making which doesn’t get to the root cause of why housing benefit costs have increased. We have a chronic shortage of affordable housing in the UK with over 1.8 million households on waiting lists.  As long as this dire lack of housing options exists then the Government can’t reasonably tell people they have a choice about downsizing to a smaller home.”

That is all about available and unoccupied properties which there were never many of in the first place.  I was always under the impression that people were supposed to do mutual exchanges  not move into available properties.  So in this street you have an overcrowded 2 bed and in that street an under occupied 3 bed so the 2 swap and bobs your uncle you have 2 correctly occupied properties.

People are supposed to do mutual exchanges now, it saves the councils & HA/s money because they don't have to go in and do a property up, when a tenant leaves through the transfer scheme.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:41 pm

So what because it is a minor part it should not be subjected to reasonable controls?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 pm

In Bristol there will be 4,714 households affect
ed; 3,639 of which who rent from the
Council and 1,075 from Registered Providers.
Of the 4,714 known to be affected; 3,841 are
under occupying by 1 bedroom room, and
873 are under occupying by 2+ bedrooms.
The average loss of benefit for
claimants has been calculated as;

£11.00 per week for Bristol City Council
tenants and £16.64 per week for those
renting from Housing Associations
under occupying by 1 bed, and

£21.00 per week for Bristol City Council
tenants and £29.27 per week for those
renting from Housing Associat
ions under occupying by 2+ bed

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/committee/2013/sc/sc9/0412_11.pdf

Freeing up homes for overcrowded households

An initiative aimed at encouraging tenants living in social housing which is now too large for their needs to move to smaller homes is helping a growing number of overcrowded households move into more suitable, bigger properties.

In all, 62 households in social housing in Bristol ‘downsized’ from January 3 to June 3 this year, new council figures reveal.

However, there were 49 ‘severely overcrowded households’ on the housing register as of July 3, and 524 houses categorised as ‘under-occupied’.

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/our-city-news/2012-09/freeing-homes-overcrowded-households

So 4,714 are in homes too big, but on 524 are overcrowded.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm

And theres shady calling the left cowards..... :/pwn://: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm

sphinx wrote:So what because it is a minor part it should not be subjected to reasonable controls?

Oh dear god! Build smaller homes for them to move to before you start penalising them. They can't move to what doesn't exist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 pm

grumpy old git wrote:And theres shady calling the left cowards..... :/pwn://: 

How true!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 pm

sphinx wrote:So what because it is a minor part it should not be subjected to reasonable controls?

There aren't any controls over mutual exchanges any more, that was my job, dealing with mutual exchanges many years ago...They would never allow them if there was any kind of rent arrears history, problem tenants etc...Now they don't give a shit at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm

Sassy wrote:In Bristol there will be 4,714 households affect

An initiative aimed at encouraging tenants living in social housing which is now too large for their needs to move to smaller homes is helping a growing number of overcrowded households move into more suitable, bigger properties.

In all, 62 households in social housing in Bristol ‘downsized’ from January 3 to June 3 this year, new council figures reveal.

However, there were 49 ‘severely overcrowded households’ on the housing register as of July 3, and 524 houses categorised as ‘under-occupied’.

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/our-city-news/2012-09/freeing-homes-overcrowded-households

So 4,714 are in homes too big, but on 524 are overcrowded.

Huh? You are mixing your figures it says that on the register there are 524 under occupied and 49 severely overcrowded - it does not say how many are ordinarily overcrowded.

The total numbers quoted in the first figures are totals for the whole housing stock not broken down by who are in receipt of benefits and so are affected. Remember those people working and paying their own rent are not affected - their rent does not change.

Read it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm

do i hear the sqwaking of chickens??? cluck cluck cluck.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 am

[quote="sphinx"]
Sassy wrote:In Bristol there will be 4,714 households affect

Huh?  You are mixing your figures it says that on the register there are 524 under occupied and 49 severely overcrowded - it does not say how many are ordinarily overcrowded.

The total numbers quoted in the first figures are totals for the whole housing stock not broken down by who are in receipt of benefits and so are affected.  Remember those people working and paying their own rent are not affected  - their rent does not change.

Read it again.

Actually, when I read it again, its even worse:

49 overcrowded, 524 under-occupied for the City.

Not the picture you painted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 am

grumpy old git wrote:do i hear the sqwaking of chickens??? cluck cluck cluck.....

That's what I'm hearing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 am

Sassy wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Actually, when I read it again, its even worse:

49 overcrowded, 524 under-occupied for the City.

Not the picture you painted.

No it says 49 severely overcrowded - not how many are just overcrowded.

It does not help that it is using different descriptors for overcrowding and under occupying. It tells us about under occupied by 1 room or 2 room but only about severely overcrowded. Does that mean families needing one extra room or 2 rooms or perhaps more?

I am afraid that makes me think lies damn lies and statistics. So in order to get an accurate picture we need to know how many families are 1 bedroom short, how many are 2 bedrooms short, how many are more. Of course it does not matter whether these families are or are not on benefits. Then we need to know how many people who are on housing benefits are under occupied by one room, how many by 2 how many by more. Then we get an accurate picture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:20 am

sphinx wrote:
Sassy wrote:

No it says 49 severely overcrowded - not how many are just overcrowded.

It does not help that it is using different descriptors for overcrowding and under occupying.  It tells us about under occupied by 1 room or 2 room but only about severely overcrowded.  Does that mean families needing one extra room or 2 rooms or perhaps more?  

I am afraid that makes me think lies damn lies and statistics.  So in order to get an accurate picture we need to know how many families are 1 bedroom short, how many are 2 bedrooms short, how many are more.  Of course it does not matter whether these families are or are not on benefits.  Then we need to know how many people who are on housing benefits are under occupied by one room, how many by 2 how many by more.  Then we get an accurate picture.

Easy, look at the Bristol Council reports. Same thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:59 pm

sphinx wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Oh I get it alright and there really is no need to write seven paragraphs of text trying to explain yourself.

You just keep making up scenarios to suit your argument and here you are doing it again by fast forwarding by several years toa situation where both women are now living alone.

And if Ms Smith is on a such a low income then she will be eligible to claim for HB herself. Just keep punishing the unemployed because they're unemployed by forcing them out whilst others who are working can stay because they have the ability to pay.

Sound Tory policy based on punishing those who have done nothing wrong other than being poor due to them being unemployed. Kick them out,,,,,,to where?

Ms Smith would not be eligible for housing benefit as a single person working on a wage sufficient to pay £80 but insufficient to pay £120.

Why is it unreasonable for a working person to have things an non working person does not?

Is it unreasonable for non coeliac to be able to eat wheat flour?  After all its not the coeliacs fault they are sensitive to gluten so maybe we better force everyone to stop eating wheat.

Or maybe we better put the unemployed in the most expensive homes and force the people working to live on the streets because after all its not the fault of the unemployed they have no money is it.

Hi Sphinx,

It's not just people paying rent who are suffering either.  Many young homeowners are trapped.  What about the young family who have four children, Mum is at home.  Dad loses his job, luckily he's a skilled worker so is able to get some work becoming self employed.  They still live in their first home, a two up two down.  Times are tough, they can't afford to move or get another mortgage, they are in negative equity so can't sell.   Their only alternative would be to make their family homeless and go bankrupt, so they struggle on in impossible conditions because they have little choice  No 

It's life and sometimes it's a bitch.  You either need to be wealthy or have nothing, there is no inbetween  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2