NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever!

5 posters

Go down

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Empty Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Bears have an incredible sense of smell, and when they’re hungry bears will go to some pretty crazy extremes to get their paws on a snack. Bears are also very intelligent, so once they learn that humans provide a seemingly endless supply of snacks, by way of garbage or half-eaten candy bars that get left behind, they will search out residential areas to find something tasty to eat.
In this particular story, a 400-pound black bear set out to follow his nose and wandered all the way from his home in Osceola National Forest to a residential area in Alligator Point, Florida. When he was discovered shuffling through one of the residents garbage, wildlife authorities set out to capture and return the bear back to his forest home…this is when things started to go horribly wrong.
Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear1

Once the bear was located authorities attempted to sedate the bear–as a 400-pound, claw-weilding black bear is not exactly the most cooperative animal–this would be the safest way they could transport him back to his home. But the bear had other plans…
Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear2

After being hit with a tranquilizer dart, the bear took off towards the ocean and hopped into the water.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear3

As he was swimming out into the Gulf, the tranquilizers began to kick in and he became drowsy and started to drown.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear4

Luckily, Adam Warwick, a biologist with the Wildlife Commission was nearby…

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear9

Without even flinching at the size and strength of the bear, Warwick grabbed a hold of the floundering animal.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear5

The bear was beginning to lose feeling in his legs and struggled to crawl onto Warwick to stay afloat.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear8

Knowing he would need to act quickly and stay as calm as possible, Warwick began to drag the bear to shore.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear7

The bear was having trouble keeping his head above the water, losing more and more mobility. 

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear6

But the brave biologist just kept swimming, despite the growing weight of the 400-pound bear. 

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear10

Warwick managed to tow the bear the entire 25 yards to land. 

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear12

Finally on shore, the groggy bear and exhausted Warwick were hoisted onto land.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear-13

The bear weighed too much for the crew to handle, so they used a tractor bucket to move the sedated bear.

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bera14

Warwick made sure the sleepy bear made it safely onto the transport vehicle. Surely, if the bear hadn’t been so groggy he would have given Warwick a big bear hug. 

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear15

Back at Osceola National Forest, the bear is looking MUCH happier…it’s going to be a long time before this guy goes rummaging through human garbage again! 

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Bear16

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/man-rescues-black-bear/

That took some doing, not only was the bear heavy, it was made heavier by the water in it's fur, and dead weight once the drug had really kicked in.  That not only took bravery but amazing strength and committment.  He must have been knackered!

Back to top Go down

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Empty Re: Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever!

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:35 pm

That was jolly nice of him.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Empty Re: Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever!

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Stormee wrote:Brilliant and lucky bear

When I was a whippersnapper my old man took me to see a bear named Brumas, forgot which zoo, anyone know?

London Zoo? There was a bear there called Brumas. I think it was a Polar bear.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Stormee wrote:Brilliant and lucky bear

When I was a whippersnapper my old man took me to see a bear named Brumas, forgot which zoo, anyone know?

Brave Man Saving a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear Is Possibly one of the Greatest Rescue Stories Ever! Latest?cb=20110415175049

Question Question Question
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Brumas the Polar Bear

Brumas was born 27 November 1949. Her mother was named Ivy and her father Mischa. Brumas was named after her keepers Bruce and Sam (reversed).

She was the first baby polar bear to be successfully reared in Britain and was an immediate attraction with the public. She caused such interest that, in 1950, the Zoo’s annual attendance figures reached the 3 million mark (around one million more that usual at that time). This has not been exceeded at any time previously or since.

Although Brumas was female, the press had reported that the bear was a ‘he’ and the error was not corrected at the time, so the public thought that the baby was male.

The bear was so popular that newsreels, books, postcards, toys and other souvenirs celebrated her fame. She died on 17 May 1958.

https://www.zsl.org/famous-animals
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Twas a Polar bear.

If you actually remember that ya must be my age and I thought you to be a younger slick chick

I'm only a young thing Stormee. Laughing

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Twas a Polar bear.

If you actually remember that ya must be my age and I thought you to be a younger slick chick

Who knows how to Google "Brumas the Bear" Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Who knows how to Google "Brumas the Bear" Smile

Correct. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Never climb a tree to get away from a black bear - they can climb better than you. Surprised
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:37 pm

That was a lovely uplifting read...thank you. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Never climb a tree to get away from a black bear - they can climb better than you. Surprised

quite true

always take a companion...and if charged by a black bear...trip him then run Twisted Evil
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down