NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London

5 posters

Go down

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London Empty Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London

Post by eddie Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London

From under the counter in a black plastic bag: Banaras Hussain hands over a powerful cream that could harm the liver and nervous system
Illegal skin-whitening creams are being sold by high street cosmetics shops despite a number of prosecutions, a BBC undercover investigation has revealed.

Shaba Hair and Cosmetics stores have been fined for dealing in creams containing hydroquinone but researchers found outlets continuing to sell them.

Products containing hydroquinone can damage the liver and nervous system.

Trading Standards officials said there was "no excuse" for selling the creams. Shaba declined to comment.

Skin-lightening products containing hydroquinone are widely used throughout India and sub-Saharan Africa - although some countries have outlawed the ingredient.

Shaba director Banaras Hussain has been prosecuted for selling the banned creams at his shops on three previous occasions - in Enfield, Dalston and Peckham.

Made in the Congo

He was fined £11,792 over the Peckham sales alone, and is due in court on 1 April for sentencing after pleading guilty to 33 offences related to the Dalston shop.

But after a tip-off, the BBC found Shaba outlets continuing to deal in banned skin lightening creams under the auspices of Mr Hussain.

At Shaba Hair and Cosmetics (Peckham) an undercover researcher was sold a jar of 'Caro Light' cream priced at £9.99 that listed hydroquinone as an ingredient.

Manufactured in the Democratic Republic of Congo, when tested it was found to contain 4.6% hydroquinone - more than twice as powerful as the strongest medicine containing hydroquinone licensed for prescription for medical purposes by a UK doctor.

Video of undercover investigation, on link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35589645

======================
So once again, we have stories of black and Asian women bleaching their skin to become "whiter"
What do we expect when celebrities are doing this all the time??

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London Empty Re: Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:24 pm

It must be fairly obvious to these customers that it's a banned substance, so it's their own fault if they buy it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London Empty Re: Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London

Post by eddie Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Of course rags, these are bought knowingly.
So my question is, why are these women so desperate to become lighter in skin tone, that they'd risk their health?
Like silly women who go on sunbeds to become darker I suppose.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Just going to say that Eddie.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:53 pm

nicko wrote:Just going to say that Eddie.

I have no idea what the obsession is to look brown all year round Nicko??! It's completely lost on me!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 pm

eddie wrote:Of course rags, these are bought knowingly.
So my question is, why are these women so desperate to become lighter in skin tone, that they'd risk their health?
Like silly women who go on sunbeds to become darker I suppose.

Because even in ethnic communities lighter skin is considered more desirable.   I have a West Indian friend who is dark skinned, her husband is lighter skinned.  When they first met his family shunned her for her darker skin which they considered 'common'.   She told me, the lighter the skin, the more socially affluent and physically beautiful you're considered.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:05 pm

I know Horatio and I simply can't understand where that horrible mentality came from!
It's the same with a lot of white girls, they crave to be suntanned all year round....never mind the damage they were doing to their skin with sun beds.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:22 pm

eddie wrote:I know Horatio and I simply can't understand where that horrible mentality came from!
It's the same with a lot of white girls, they crave to be suntanned all year round....never mind the damage they were doing to their skin with sun beds.

I found this.  It kind of explains it.

http://www.newstatesman.com/society/2013/10/colourism-why-even-black-people-have-problem-dark-skin
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:30 pm

That was really interesting Horatio, certainly explains it very well.
I know that among black women, the more lighter you are, the more you're "envied" and hair is a massive factor and an issue, to a lot of younger black women.

It's a shame. Beauty is found in every race and colour.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 pm

There is a very evocative study on film of children.  They are shown a range of dolls, white and black, and are asked to pick out who is the prettiest, who is the naughtiest, who is the most popular, who is the cleverest etc etc.  Was very sad to see that a huge percentage of the children, white and black, picked out the white dolls as the the prettiest, the black dolls at the naughtiest etc.  And it's all because of what they have picked up from society.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 pm

eddie wrote:That was really interesting Horatio, certainly explains it very well.
I know that among black women, the more lighter you are, the more you're "envied" and hair is a massive factor and an issue, to a lot of younger black women.

Ain't that the truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 pm

sassy wrote:There is a very evocative study on film of children.  They are shown a range of dolls, white and black, and are asked to pick out who is the prettiest, who is the naughtiest, who is the most popular, who is the cleverest etc etc.  Was very sad to see that a huge percentage of the children, white and black, picked out the white dolls as the the prettiest, the black dolls at the naughtiest etc.  And it's all because of what they have picked up from society.

Yeah I've seen that. It made for very uncomfortable and upsetting viewing.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 pm

eddie wrote:That was really interesting Horatio, certainly explains it very well.

My friend has very dark skin, and she wears vibrant reds and gold and blues, colours that look fantastic against her skin tone.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:34 pm

It's strange isn't it, those colours never look as good against pale skin.  Had an Irish boyfriend years ago who had jet black hair and royal blue eyes. that was a lovely combination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:35 pm

eddie wrote:
sassy wrote:There is a very evocative study on film of children.  They are shown a range of dolls, white and black, and are asked to pick out who is the prettiest, who is the naughtiest, who is the most popular, who is the cleverest etc etc.  Was very sad to see that a huge percentage of the children, white and black, picked out the white dolls as the the prettiest, the black dolls at the naughtiest etc.  And it's all because of what they have picked up from society.

Yeah I've seen that. It made for very uncomfortable and upsetting viewing.

It did, I wanted to cuddle them and tell them it wasn't true.  We don't know what society in general hands on the children, because I doubt their mothers taught them that.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:38 pm

I've dated all shades and each was handsome in his own way.
I don't really have a "type" if I'm honest.

I absolutely love Afro hairstyles and always, always wanted one. I tell my black friends they're mad when they straighten their hair!! "Get a bloody Afro!"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:42 pm

"No wonder women cost a lot.
Always wanting what is not"

Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Which is in direct contrast to the 'Black is Beautiful' refrain.   Black actually is beautiful and  I think it's sad skin gets whitened and hair gets straightened.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Me too, couldn't agree more.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:45 pm

eddie wrote:I've dated all shades and each was handsome in his own way.
I don't really have a "type" if I'm honest.

I absolutely love Afro hairstyles and always, always wanted one. I tell my black friends they're mad when they straighten their hair!! "Get a bloody Afro!"

How magnificently bodacious is that!!!

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London Diana-ross-04
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Knock 'em dead beauty that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:49 pm

See that pic is a stunning example of a good looking woman with an Afro.
It looks so funky
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:50 pm

eddie wrote:See that pic is a stunning example of a good looking woman with an Afro.
It looks so funky

Illegal skin lightening creams being sold in London D4622162cbec8b93d8b33423b21fac38
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:52 pm

That would melt the hardest heart!   Night, have a good weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 pm

A truely "electrified" hair style......

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

whilst I have nothing against them. I'm afraid that the "african" woman does nothing for me...just doesnt "ring the bell" if you know what I mean

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:56 pm

the baba is a cutie...but then ALL babas are cuties....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:23 am

The baby is beautiful but I hate make up on children!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:27 am

do you know...I never even noticed make up, until you mentioned it...
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:02 am

eddie wrote:See that pic is a stunning example of a good looking woman with an Afro.
It looks so funky

Well yes - it's Diana Ross.

Isn't the little black girl dressed up for a child's beauty pageant? A lot of people don't approve of those. Laughing

Nobody ever says - white women shouldn't get tans because it's beautiful to be pale, do they? I find all this gushing about "black is beautiful" a bit over the top. Some black women look great, as do some white women. It's all superficial anyway, so why not treat it that way?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 pm

whats inside is more important, rather than the "decor"...

something some on here ought to remember......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
It looks so funky

Isn't the little black girl dressed up for a child's beauty pageant? A lot of people don't approve of those. Laughing

Nobody ever says - white women shouldn't get tans because it's beautiful to be pale, do they? I find all this gushing about "black is beautiful" a bit over the top. Some black women look great, as do some white women. It's all superficial anyway, so why not treat it that way?

I do agree with all that rags. Except we happened to be talking about black skin and how its perceived - so us "gushing" was agreeing that lots of people with dark skin can be stunning and don't need to lighten their skin.

@Vic the make up was the very first thing I noticed. I hate it on children.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I do agree with all that rags. Except we happened to be talking about black skin and how its perceived - so us "gushing" was agreeing that lots of people with dark skin can be stunning and don't need to lighten their skin.

@Vic the make up was the very first thing I noticed. I hate it on children.

Hi Eddie

Sorry but the above is silly reasoning. Its up to people how light or dark they would prefer their skin tone to be. They are never going to have Caucasian white skin colour, but I see no issue if people want to lighten the darkness of their skin tone, as much as people who are white look to darken their skin through tanning. Clearly the happiest medium for many people is a shade of light brown, that most people aspire to have. I understand your concerns based on the possible damage to the skin, but I do not see you level the same stance with people who tan every single year. I mean just because two groups are defined black and white, that does not mean the actual colour of their skin is black and white and in fact the tone varies in both groups either lighter or darker dependent on Geography

At the end of the day its up to people what they do with their own bodies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Anyway, re the hair, I don't think black women who straighten their hair necessarily want straight hair, they just want hair which lies flatter, just as women who perm their hair might want more volume rather than curls. Nobody ever says - your hair is beautiful when it's flat and limp, do they? Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down