NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies

2 posters

Go down

Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies Empty Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:33 pm

MEXICO CITY—From a Mexican tax on sugary drinks to legislation banning Happy Meal toys in Chile and Peru, Latin America is becoming a laboratory for public policies meant to steer consumers away from processed food.

Since 2012, Peru, Uruguay and Costa Rica have banned junk food from public schools. Ecuador recently mandated a nutritional label system inspired by a traffic light, in which warnings of high salt, sugar and fat content are placed on red circles; lower levels will be indicated on yellow or green circles. Industrial food makers in Ecuador will also be barred from using images of animal characters, cartoon personalities or celebrities to promote products high in salt, sugar or fat.

In October, Mexico's congress passed a special tax of 8% on packaged foods like potato chips, as well as a per-liter tax of one peso, or about eight U.S. cents, on sugary beverages.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304773104579270523572200790

What do you think about governments putting curbs on junk food consumption? I for one would like to see such policies paired with programs to make healthy food more affordable and convenient.

AND, I think the public health is yet another thing that suffers when our employers have too much control over our lives. Right up there with popular political action.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies Empty Re: Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:01 am

I think it is very tricky. Many foods that are seen as 'healthy' are in fact anything but, low cal yoghurts etc and the latest research seems to point to sugar being much worse than fat, in fact, provided its the right fat, it seems to be positively healthy. I know a heart surgeon recently who said he would only eat butter or olive oil or rape seed oil, and would not touch any sort of margarine under any circumstances, and that fat was essential to make you body work properly. I think the thing that has consistently shown to be bad is processed food. I tend to cook everything from scratch, but then I have time, while others might not.

Back to top Go down

Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies Empty Re: Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:06 am

I think it's that you make the time. I probably have the time to cook better, but I just want something to eat NOW!!!!

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 am

Well, I'm retired, so I can cook ahead and its fun making bread, you can beat the crap out of it lol. Hate the taste of processed food, and pasta dishes are so quick, and I don't mean Mac and Cheese lol. Give me a couple of courgettes, garlic, onions, mushooms and tomatoes, olive oil and some parmasen to put on the top and I'm happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:33 am

I want to change. I feel more and more ashamed to find myself staring at the frozen-food section these days  Embarassed 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:53 am

I know what you mean, but stare at all the lovely colours in the fruit and veg section lol

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:37 am

I like cooking (I like eating good food even more  Wink ), and I'm pretty good at cooking (French grandparents taught me and then worked in restaurants while studying) and produce is cheaper than labour here so it is always cheaper to make it yourself.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I like cooking (I like eating good food even more  Wink ), and I'm pretty good at cooking (French grandparents taught me and then worked in restaurants while studying) and produce is cheaper than labour here so it is always cheaper to make it yourself.

I find I cook more and more these days. Im even starting to enjoy it a bit lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:I like cooking (I like eating good food even more  Wink ), and I'm pretty good at cooking (French grandparents taught me and then worked in restaurants while studying) and produce is cheaper than labour here so it is always cheaper to make it yourself.

I find I cook more and more these days. Im even starting to enjoy it a bit lol

Blimey, what you done with Nems??!! Latin American countries among the world's leaders in anti-junk food public policies Throw_13 lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down