NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government

+3
eddie
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government  Empty AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 pm

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government  Googledriverlesscars

The artificial intelligence controlling Google's driverless cars is can officially be classed as the "driver," US officials have clarified.

Bureaucrats at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), according to Reuters, sent a letter to Google saying humans inside autonomous vehicles aren't classed as drivers.

"NHTSA will interpret 'driver' in the context of Google's described motor vehicle design as referring to the (self-driving system), and not to any of the vehicle occupants," the letter to Google, sent in early February, said.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-02/10/google-ai-car-driver
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government  Empty Re: AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 pm

that is good for the 'owner' not so good for google if it is less than perfect  cheers
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government  Empty Re: AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 pm

veya_victaous wrote:that is good for the 'owner' not so good for google if it is less than perfect  cheers

Yeah, but a less than perfect Google AI driver is still light years better than the average human ...

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government  Driver
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:that is good for the 'owner' not so good for google if it is less than perfect  cheers

Yeah, but a less than perfect Google AI driver is still light years better than the average human ...

AI on board Google cars considered 'driver' by U.S. government  Driver

yeah but they will be liable for any accidents.
it will be interesting, essentially this means the manufacturer is going to cover the insurance at least for collisions
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Why didn't google pay their massive tax bill last year?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:31 pm

eddie wrote:Why didn't google pay their massive tax bill last year?

cause they are capitalist pigs Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:56 pm

veya_victaous wrote:

Well then at least they have put their money toward driverless cars which will put many people out of work.
Bet the government get a big fat cut of the profits too
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 pm

eddie wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Well then at least they have put their money toward driverless cars which will put many people out of work.
Bet the government get a big fat cut of  the profits too

Actually that may be where they have fucked up... not paying the money
It is surprising that the ruling came down this way
must not have greased enough palms to ensure a ruling in their favour that would have kept the liability with the vehicle owner

they may have to pay to service the vehicle too or risk crash and the liability. This is an entirely new kettle of fish scratch
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:58 pm

eddie wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Bet the government get a big fat cut of  the profits too

Wouldn't that be taxes?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Don't want this... we don't need this either...!

Plus... aren't radar systems just big microwave transmitters...!?

And we already have too much of that type of transmission going on...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Don't want this... we don't need this either...!

Plus... aren't radar systems just big microwave transmitters...!?

And we already have too much of that type of transmission going on...

That's where your tinfoil hat comes in.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Would it help to deflect the microwaves from all the proposed new radar systems...!?

I'm quite happy driving myself about anyway... and if you want to make the roads safer, just make driving tests more difficult and make everyone take retest every 5 years or so!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Would it help to deflect the microwaves from all the proposed new radar systems...!?

I'm quite happy driving myself about anyway... and if you want to make the roads safer, just make driving tests more difficult and make everyone take retest every 5 years or so!

Or just get rid of people and ONLY allow AI drivers it will reduce it by much more as in almost every car made today the weakest link is the human driver.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Yeah... cos computers never 'crash' do they...!?

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:05 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Yeah... cos computers never 'crash' do they...!?

lol!

less than people Rolling Eyes
you crash everyday
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:01 am

Wont catch on, not with me at any rate.
If you don't want to drive, catch a bus.

Might work with the old and disabled,
can't see young 'uns wanting it.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Much better uses for any money spent on this...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:34 pm

The problem as I see it is with hackers gaining access to the vehicle...wouldn't terrorists love it?

I know how it's supposed to be hack-proof, but someone made it...an' someone can break into it.  That's my philosophy about computer security everywhere.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:07 pm

exactly quill...what man can make, man can break....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:37 am

Original Quill wrote:The problem as I see it is with hackers gaining access to the vehicle...wouldn't terrorists love it?

I know how it's supposed to be hack-proof, but someone made it...an' someone can break into it.  That's my philosophy about computer security everywhere.

as opposed to using a steering wheel? Suspect Suspect Suspect

makes little difference, and besides skynet will determine they are terrorists and the vehicle will take them for reprocessing Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:51 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:The problem as I see it is with hackers gaining access to the vehicle...wouldn't terrorists love it?

makes little difference, and besides skynet will determine they are terrorists and the vehicle will take them for reprocessing  Wink

Like Marco from Tropoja said, Good Luck!  Incidentally, Skynet was the terrorist...so you can't expect it to be on our side.

Automobile accidents are random.  And I don't know the probabilities of an accident vs. safe miles driven, but I'll bet it's pretty good.

But a political terrorist who got control of the access code to the automobiles would probably give us 100% of accidents, and certainly be in control of all of the economy, the military and the entire infrastructure.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:13 am

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

makes little difference, and besides skynet will determine they are terrorists and the vehicle will take them for reprocessing  Wink

Like Marco from Tropoja said, Good Luck!  Incidentally, Skynet was the terrorist...so you can't expect it to be on our side.

Automobile accidents are random.  And I don't know the probabilities of an accident vs. safe miles driven, but I'll bet it's pretty good.

But a political terrorist who got control of the access code to the automobiles would probably give us 100% of accidents, and certainly be in control of all of the economy, the military and the entire infrastructure.

terrorist or freedom fighter the difference is perspective Wink
All those wall street terrorists fit for reprocessing Twisted Evil
Laughing
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

terrorist or freedom fighter the difference is perspective Wink
All those wall street terrorists fit for reprocessing Twisted Evil  
Laughing

Terrorist or freedom-fighters...those are just names. I'm concerned about the ability of bad guys to do damage.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down