NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year

5 posters

Go down

Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year Empty Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:34 am

A protest party in Iceland which advocates 35-hour working weeks, the loosening of drug regulation and a drastic rethink of copyright law is now comfortably the most popular political group in the country, according to new polling results. The Pirate Party was founded by a group of activists, poets and hackers in 2012 as an extension of the international movement of the same name. It managed to win three of the 63 seats in Iceland’s parliament, the Alþingi, at the last election in April 2013 – and is now polling at 37.8 per cent, a huge figure for the country’s fragmented political scene.

According to polling company MMR, it increases the party's lead on both current coalition parties, Independence and Progressive, which command just over 30 per cent combined.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/iceland-pirate-party-takes-big-lead-in-polls-ahead-of-election-next-year-a6834366.html

Back to top Go down

Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year Empty Re: Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Anyone else heard of this party and its policies?

Back to top Go down

Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year Empty Re: Iceland's Pirate Party takes big lead in polls ahead of election next year

Post by eddie Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:59 pm

No. Tbh I don't know much about Iceland except it's excellent head ways in education, but pretty much most of what I hear about this country is positive.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:02 pm

eddie wrote:No. Tbh I don't know much about Iceland except it's excellent head ways in education, but pretty much most of what I hear about this country is positive.

Best thing about them is they put their dodgy bankers in jail and didn't give them more money, won't have austerity and are doing a lot better then us!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Well there you go! Lol

I like, strangely, the idea of the six months darkness / six months light thing too.
Most people say that the six month darkness thing would drive them crazy but I think I'd kinda like it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:50 pm

I'd have to think about that one, when it's dull all day it makes me depressed, so six months darkness might not be a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:06 pm

If they are the same pirate party as here (and it seems to be based on the same)
Good on Iceland.  they are Awesome basically using logic and reason to tell profiteering business to fuck off. the amount that humanity is held back because some rich ---- bough some pieces of paper that say they own ideas. Ridiculous, Copyrigths are an unnatural state for humanity and do nothing but hinder innovation and human advancement.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 pm

"...The party is so radical that it does not even nominally have a leader, though former Wikileaks spokeswoman and now founding MP Birgitta Jonsdottir tends to speak for it in public.

Speaking about the Pirate Party’s recent surge in the polls, she has cited the government’s decision in March last year to abruptly withdraw from plans to join the EU as causing widespread dissatisfaction on the island...."

Sounds like she is pro eu to me... and the last bit is heavy on the spin!!!

My take on it is that the govt and their back up partners (the opposition) have both been pursuing the same pro eu agenda for a long time... regardless of whichever one was in govt or opposition, I'll bet that they were both pushing the same way towards joining the EU... this being the only option given and not what the people of the country wanted then saw the pirate party getting huge surge of support by simply offering to do what the people actually want... as is key in a democracy!!!

I reckon the last years surge in support was the real and only reason for the sudden end of govt planning action to join eu!!

And I also believe that the more recent surge in support is the continued growth of opinion against the govt plans to join the eu!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:50 pm

eddie wrote:Well there you go! Lol

I like, strangely, the idea of the six months darkness / six months light thing too.
Most people say that the six month darkness thing would drive them crazy but I think I'd kinda like it.

I don't - six months would seem like a lifetime! I don't like the dark hours in winter as it is.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Well there you go! Lol

I don't  - six months would seem like a lifetime! I don't like the dark hours in winter as it is.

I like the dark. There's something about nighttime and darkness that makes me feel peaceful.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:33 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I don't  - six months would seem like a lifetime! I don't like the dark hours in winter as it is.

I like the dark. There's something about nighttime and darkness that makes me feel peaceful.

It's OK in the night, I just don't like it being dark at 3.30 in the afternoon.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I really don't mind. I actually like it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 pm

you dont have an urge to sleep upside down, hanging from the rafters do you eddie????
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I really don't mind. I actually like it.

It's the weather which goes with the dark which I don't like either.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down