NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech

+2
ALLAKAKA
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech Empty Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:06 am

An analysis of a Neanderthal's fossilised hyoid bone - a horseshoe-shaped structure in the neck - suggests the species had the ability to speak.

This has been suspected since the 1989 discovery of a Neanderthal hyoid that looks just like a modern human's.

But now computer modelling of how it works has shown this bone was also used in a very similar way.

Writing in journal Plos One, scientists say its study is "highly suggestive" of complex speech in Neanderthals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25465102
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech Empty Re: Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech

Post by ALLAKAKA Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Was the study carried out in LEWISHAM ?

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech Empty Re: Study suggests Neanderthals possessed speech

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:05 pm

You know, one day you will surprise us all and add something constructive to a thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Is this a 'strictly no humour' site then?

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm afraid that was humour, that was Kaka trying to infer that Catman was a Neanderthal.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:09 pm

@sassy,
that counts as a joke

Back to the Article, I think it is quite probable lots of evidence now suggests that other Hominids were more advanced than previously suggested.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:03 am

I know it's been theorized well before now that Neanderthals spoke; it appears what's been confirmed is that they had the physical hardware to speak.

I even heard that the implication of Neanderthals speaking is that some of their words probably have survived and are spoken by us today. If that's the case ... um ... uh ... I can't think of what they'd be Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I know it's been theorized well before now that Neanderthals spoke; it appears what's been confirmed is that they had the physical hardware to speak.

I even heard that the implication of Neanderthals speaking is that some of their words probably have survived and are spoken by us today. If that's the case ... um ... uh ... I can't think of what they'd be Smile

think Geordie...

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Jeeze...just ask lil andy.  Twisted Evil 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm

why should they NOT have talked, they were apparantly artistic, and inventive, unfortunately not fast enough thinking to adapt to changing conditions and better hunting techniques by modern mans immediate ancestors....It would seem that a LOT of the so called "history" we of my ancient generation were taught at school was mumbo jumbo,

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 am

@grumpy

To be fair I think a lot of it is also climate
they were a hominid that adapted to the coldest climates inhabited in the ice age, we were better adapted to warmer environments, the Climate just happened to go our way.

Plus another suggestion is dogs. One of the major differences between us, is their superior sense of smell compared to our superior vision (based on enlarging of the cavity compared to Homo Erectus) so once we got dogs in our camps we now had our Superior vision and an 'Ally' with superior smell.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down