NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran

+4
eddie
Fuzzy Zack
veya_victaous
Eilzel
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran Empty Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran

Post by Guest Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:47 pm

A duo of Dutch comedians who run the Dit is Normaal YouTube channel pulled off a telling and incredibly timely stunt.

They purchased a copy of the Bible, wrapped it in a fake cover indicating that it was the Koran, and read out some particularly troubling passages to passersby.

At the end, they reveal that these lines were actually from Christianity's holy book, not that of Islam, much to the bewilderment of those caught on camera. The video has garnered more than 2 million views since it was uploaded Friday.

Here are some of the passages the comedians highlight:

"If you reject my commands and abhor my laws you will eat the flesh of your own sons... and the flesh of your own daughters."
"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission."
"If two men sleep with each other they will both have to be killed."

To no great surprise, the people interviewed are not impressed and wonder aloud that violence is ingrained in Islam.

Some even suggest that the Bible is a more "positive" and "less harsh" religious tract.

This echoes a strain of thought now peddled by some prominent analysts and politicians, who pin the root causes of Islamist militancy on the fundamental nature of Islam itself — rather than more recent historical and political factors that have led to the rise of extremism in certain corners of the world.

As the video shows, though, all ancient religious texts carry language that we would now find disturbing.

"It's all just prejudice really. I always try not to be prejudiced myself, but apparently I already am," concludes one of the people hoodwinked by the experiment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/12/07/watch-people-dont-know-the-bible-from-the-koran/?tid=pm_world_pop_b

Facinating

Back to top Go down

Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran Empty Re: Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran

Post by Eilzel Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:59 am

Fascinating! Though I expect this could also work the other way around too haha
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran Empty Re: Watch: People don’t know the Bible from the Koran

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Probably Les, but it just shows people are swayed by what other people tell them.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm sure it would.
also it shows too many people just say they 'read the bible' or agree with stuff they don't actually understand. because it is easier probably.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Fascinating! Though I expect this could also work the other way around too haha

Not really, or people would have said the Bible.

The point was there was/is a perception propagated by the media which makes people prejudice against Islam.

I know Les likes Richard Dawkins, but he was pilloried on Twitter, because he was going on and on and on about Islam, then was stupid enough to admit that he had never read the Q'ran, so even Dawkins is just going on media perceptions and propaganda.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:19 pm

That's why I won't give religious people a hard time.
Let them have their faith, let them only read what they want or believe what they want....if they're not harming anyone, then let them be.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 pm

eddie wrote:That's why I won't give religious people a hard time.
Let them have their faith, let them only read what they want or believe what they want....if they're not harming anyone, then let them be.

Agree, I don't believe in 'God' and never will, but life is hard and everyone needs something to sustain them, if that's what they want that is their perogative, as long as they don't try and convert me.  I'll quite happily go to all festivals, because they are all a celebration of life and spirituality.  I have my 'christmas' although to me it is Winter Solstice celebration, but a tree is quite appropriate for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:33 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Fascinating! Though I expect this could also work the other way around too haha

Not really, or people would have said the Bible.

The point was there was/is a perception propagated by the media which makes people prejudice against Islam.

Nonesense, if people do not know, one, they will not know the other and it would work both ways.
The bible is fundementally more violent than the Quran.
It also has something called Herem, which is divine santioned genocide.
Though the Quran is certainly more boring to read but has as much violence also.
Both play off fear and both have very much Iron age views.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:57 am

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Richard The Lionheart wrote:

Nonesense, if people do not know, one, they will not know the other and it would work both ways.
The bible is fundementally more violent than the Quran.
It also has something called Herem, which is divine santioned genocide.
Though the Quran is certainly more boring to read but has as much violence also.
Both play off fear and both have very much Iron age views.

Lol! Try reading what I said carefully and you may understand my point. I do have to question your level of education. What is it?

I did read what you said and again it fails to understand how if this was reversed.
Again if people have read either, they would know what is more violent.
If reversed there is no doubt similar results would be obtained
I see you are still acting like a child.
Grow up will you as its now tedious your immature answers.
As to intelligence, well this has been easily addressed before.
Your views are confinded to the views of your faith.
That does not allow for much intelligent response as the bases for your views is based off nothing you can prove exists.
In other words you go off the views of men who lived 1400 years ago.
I fail to see how that is in anyway intelligent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:05 am

So I guess I will have to dumb this down for you.
The best way to offer a reversal would be to ask Muslims in Muslim majority countries who again may well be either illiterate or not well versed in the Quran. If you did this test in reverse based off this methodology speaking biblical passages in Arabic, there is no doubt many non-religious Muslims would also make the same errors.
If you claim otheriwse then you would be a liar

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:08 am

sassy wrote:

A duo of Dutch comedians who run the Dit is Normaal YouTube channel pulled off a telling and incredibly timely stunt.

They purchased a copy of the Bible, wrapped it in a fake cover indicating that it was the Koran, and read out some particularly troubling passages to passersby.

At the end, they reveal that these lines were actually from Christianity's holy book, not that of Islam, much to the bewilderment of those caught on camera. The video has garnered more than 2 million views since it was uploaded Friday.

"If you reject my commands and abhor my laws you will eat the flesh of your own sons... and the flesh of your own daughters."
"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission."
"If two men sleep with each other they will both have to be killed."

To no great surprise, the people interviewed are not impressed and wonder aloud that violence is ingrained in Islam.

Some even suggest that the Bible is a more "positive" and "less harsh" religious tract.

This echoes a strain of thought now peddled by some prominent analysts and politicians, who pin the root causes of Islamist militancy on the fundamental nature of Islam itself — rather than more recent historical and political factors that have led to the rise of extremism in certain corners of the world.

As the video shows, though, all ancient religious texts carry language that we would now find disturbing.

"It's all just prejudice really. I always try not to be prejudiced myself, but apparently I already am," concludes one of the people hoodwinked by the experiment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/12/07/watch-people-dont-know-the-bible-from-the-koran/?tid=pm_world_pop_b

Facinating

Why not the Jewish Holy book?

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:08 am

Richard The Lionheart wrote:So I guess I will have to dumb this down for you.
The best way to offer a reversal would be to ask Muslims in Muslim majority countries who again may well be either illiterate or not well versed in the Quran. If you did this test in reverse based off this methodology, there is no doubt many non-religious Muslims would also make the same errors.

Wow, I think that has just shown exactly the extent of Didge's racism, and his ignorance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:09 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:

Facinating

Why not the Jewish Bible?

ie the Torah.  That's really violent, like the Old Testament only worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 am

sassy wrote:
The best way to offer a reversal would be to ask Muslims in Muslim majority countries who again may well be either illiterate or not well versed in the Quran. If you did this test in reverse based off this methodology, there is no doubt many non-religious Muslims would also make the same errors.

Wow, I think that has just shown exactly the extent of Didge's racism, and his ignorance.

So speaking factually about the poor literacy rate in some Muslim majority countries is now racist to sassy.

Do you want to put this to the test?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:13 am

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Why not the Jewish Bible?

I meant that those lines are from Leviticus.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:16 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:

Yep, so it's in the Old Testament and the Hebrew Bible and The Torah, so I see your point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:18 am

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yep, so it's in the Old Testament and the Hebrew Bible and The Torah, so I see your point.

I wonder if Jewish people would have recognised them better. I doubt that a lot of Christians have read Leviticus tbh.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:19 am

http://www.care2.com/causes/10-countries-with-the-worst-literacy-rates-in-the-world.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:

I wonder if Jewish people would have recognised them better. I doubt that a lot of Christians have read Leviticus tbh.

True, some churches use it some don't, but the Torah does, so you could be right on that, didn't think of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 am

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
The best way to offer a reversal would be to ask Muslims in Muslim majority countries who again may well be either illiterate or not well versed in the Quran. If you did this test in reverse based off this methodology speaking biblical passages in Arabic, there is no doubt many non-religious Muslims would also make the same errors.

The test is about people's perception in the West.

You're trying to set an impossible/difficult task for yourself because you're too much of s coward to film a YouTube video and be proven wrong. You're so transparent.

Reverse the books and go out on your local streets and let's see what perception they have.

I bet you'll make more excuses again to chicken out.

Seriously, to gauge a reversal of the test you would need to then have this done in the oppoisite environment to have then a fair test result.
Can you not even grasp that?
Again in Muslim majority countries there is most definately a bias against Christianity.
The number of persecutions to Christians in Muslim majority countries might just give you a clue to that.
Now that is what it means to reverse the test, and as seen you cannot grasp methodology.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

Seriously, to gauge a reversal of the test you would need to then have this done in the oppoisite environment to have then a fair test result.
Can you not even grasp that?
Again in Muslim majority countries there is most definately a bias against Christianity.
The number of persecutions to Christians in Muslim majority countries might just give you a clue to that.
Now that is what it means to reverse the test, and as seen you cannot grasp methodology.

The test was set by Les who questioned what would happen if the text is reversed. Nothing about reversing the cultures.

You're trying to set a test you couldn't realistically take, unless you want to go to Saudi Arabia to conduct it.

But Les set the test and you agreed with his hypothesis. So stop trying widen the goal posts and put up, or shut up (as you say).

Copout alert. So you are now speaking for Eilzel.
He really does not appreciate that, just to advise
Its like trying to reason with a two year old, which is sadly what literal religious belief does to an individual in many cases. An inability to rationalize
What is the reversal of the west?
Is it not the East?
Thus to best guage a reversal of this test would require people of Eastern values.

In the west you are by and large going to have more Christians do the test based on a majority Christian population. Hence to guage a true reversal to this test would require places where it was Muslim majority and more Eastern values.

So I do not have to put up and shut up as its plain you are utterly ignorant and flapping like a child. Now you can either stop ranting and understand the point, or crawl away like the immature child that you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:09 pm

When I said the other way around Zack I meant you could take a copy of the Koran, cover it with a cover of the Bible, read some awful verses to some average Muslims, and they would probably believe it was the Bible.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Eilzel wrote:When I said the other way around Zack I meant you could take a copy of the Koran, cover it with a cover of the Bible, read some awful verses to some average Muslims, and they would probably believe it was the Bible.

Thank you Eizel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:When I said the other way around Zack I meant you could take a copy of the Koran, cover it with a cover of the Bible, read some awful verses to some average Muslims, and they would probably believe it was the Bible.

In which country, Les?

How about you set the test?

If you don't mind Muslims in the UK being asked, Didge has to go film a YouTube video to prove the point. So we call all see.

As you're his friend, I'll let you decide. That's only fair.

That is you claiming to make the parameters for the test.
Who says you decide what those are, when you cannot even grasp what a reversal of that test would be.
So you need to grasp methodology and even more so, grow up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

Thank you Eizel.

Coward. Lol!

Such maturity again.
You are so proving my stance and views in regards to those with literal beliefs.
The worst immaturity and an inability to rationalize.
Once again grow up or for once fundementally look at your faith with a critical stance, which you have never done.
You might be surprised and finally open up your eyes to the absurdity of what Islam is.

Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm not really bothered Zack, haha. It is just an expectation on my part, its irrelevant to me in general. It would be interesting, but I wouldn't waste my own time. Besides, bound to be that one guy that gets pissed because I covered his precious holy book with the cover of another Razz
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Eilzel is not immature like you Zack, that be the massive telling difference ha ha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

Such maturity again.
You are so proving my stance and views in regards to those with literal beliefs.
The worst immaturity and an inability to rationalize.
Once again grow up or for once fundementally look at your faith with a critical stance, which you have never done.
You might be surprised and finally open up your eyes to the absurdity of what Islam is.

Good luck

It was Les's test and he said he's not bothered.

So you can conduct the test in the UK. But we all know you'll continue to make excuses becuase you're a dick-less coward.

OMG ha ha ha ha

So now a test that Eilzel did not devise you have placed ownership onto him.
This is because you cannot grasp what it would take to do the test in reversal.
Seriously grow up you silly brat, I know you were bullied at school and you cannot get over being a skinny little runt. I could actually coach you with your insecurities, but youclearly want to remain being a bitter brat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:29 pm

The thing is - is it likely that in an average Christian church service the vicar or priest would use something from Leviticus? I don't think so - not here in the UK anyway. It's usually something from the Gospels, and sometimes from St Paul, but not the bits about gay people.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The thing is - is it likely that in an average Christian church service the vicar or priest would use something from Leviticus? I don't think so - not here in the UK anyway. It's usually something from the Gospels, and sometimes from St Paul, but not the bits about gay people.

I think they avoid the Old Testament all together, after all, they don't want to frighten the congregation!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:52 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:The thing is - is it likely that in an average Christian church service the vicar or priest would use something from Leviticus? I don't think so - not here in the UK anyway. It's usually something from the Gospels, and sometimes from St Paul, but not the bits about gay people.

I think they avoid the Old Testament all together, after all, they don't want to frighten the congregation!

Yes, I think they do avoid it. The idea of Christianity is to focus more on the words of Jesus.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:

Yes, I think they do avoid it. The idea of Christianity is to focus more on the words of Jesus.

Which I have to say, I find very disingenuous.  Bit like wearing a lovely dress with dirty knickers underneath.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:56 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Which I have to say, I find very disingenuous.  Bit like wearing a lovely dress with dirty knickers underneath.

I don't agree. If it's all the same thing, Christians would be Jewish.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:

So Christians don't believe in the Bible then, only bits of it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

OMG ha ha ha ha

So now a test that Eilzel did not devise you have placed ownership onto him.
This is because you cannot grasp what it would take to do the test in reversal.
Seriously grow up you silly brat, I know you were bullied at school and you cannot get over being a skinny little runt. I could actually coach you with your insecurities, but you are clearly want to remian being a bitter brat.

Dude - the fact you're now getting personal and avoiding the test, proves the lack of your convictions.

I called you and you were caught bluffing. Don't be mad that I exposed you.

Or prove you theory.

Oh my, that was you getting personal from the start which shows another failing you have of not being able to reconize your failings Bob.

Again you still cannot grasp what a reversal of this test would be.
You even wrongly took what Eizel meant, which he proved you wrong over.
Now either wipe that egg off your face, or wear it with pride.
Either way, I am happy bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:06 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So Christians don't believe in the Bible then, only bits of it?

Without wanting to encourage howls of protest, it's my view that a lot of Christians think that Jesus came to set people straight on a lot of the issues which are in the Old Testament, so naturally they pay a lot more attention to the Gospels.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:43 pm

I think that is very convenient Rags, but I hope is a Muslim tells you that what what said in the Q'ran has been adapted over time you will understand where they are coming from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:44 pm

sassy wrote:I think that is very convenient Rags, but I hope is a Muslim tells you that what what said in the Q'ran has been adapted over time you will understand where they are coming from.

It's my genuine feeling, convenient or not.

I've never been one to bang on about the Koran anyway, so I think you're targetting the wrong person with that remark.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:45 pm

There are people on this forum who will use the term "cherry picking" when it comes to the Bible and the Koran. If a Muslim cherry picks from the Koran, I don't have a problem with that - well as long as it's not bits saying they should kill anyone obviously.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:There are people on this forum who will use the term "cherry picking" when it comes to the Bible and the Koran. If a Muslim cherry picks from the Koran, I don't have a problem with that - well as long as it's not bits saying they should kill anyone obviously.

Being a Muslim one cant cherry pick. You either take it fully or you don't believe in it.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next