NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G'day mate, have a cold one...

5 posters

Go down

G'day mate, have a cold one... Empty G'day mate, have a cold one...

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Australian accent is a product of early settler's heavy drinking, claims academic

The Australian accent is the product of colonial settlers getting drunk, according to one of the country’s speech experts.
Dean Frenkel, a tutor and lecturer at Victoria Unviersity in Melbourne said that as well as having origins in Aboriginal, English, Irish and German, the Australian accent is also a result of their ancestor’s love of alcohol.
Writing in The Age, Mr Frenkel said: “The Australian alphabet cocktail was spiked by alcohol. Our forefathers regularly got drunk together and through their frequent interactions unknowingly added an alcoholic slur to our national speech patterns.”
“For the past two centuries, from generation to generation, drunken Aussie-speak continues to be taught by sober parents to children.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australian-accent-is-a-product-of-early-settlers-heavy-drinking-claims-academic-a6711486.html

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

G'day mate, have a cold one... Empty Re: G'day mate, have a cold one...

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Dean Frenkel is a racist Anglophile.. Wishing Australia was still British Rolling Eyes

You will find Asians find us easier to understand, even an English Woman noted it back in 1911 and 100 years on it is even more so

In her book, The Awful Australian (1911), English woman Valerie Desmond criticised Australian English as being excessively tonal, which she attributed to a Chinese influence:
"But it is not so much as the vagaries of pronunciation that hurt the ear of the visitor. It is the extraordinary intonation that the Australian imparts to his phrases. There is no such thing as cultured, reposeful conversation in this land; everybody sings his remarks as if he was reciting blank verse in the manner of an imperfect elocutionist. It would be quite possible to take an ordinary Australian conversation and immortalise its cadences and diapasons by means of musical notation. Herein the Australian differs from the American. The accent of the American, educated and uneducated alike, is abhorrent to the cultured Englishman or Englishwoman, but it is, at any rate, harmonious. That of the Australian is full of discords and surprises. His voice rises and falls with unexpected syncopations, and, even among the few cultured persons this country possesses, seems to bear in every syllable the sign of the parvenu. The Australian practice of singing his remarks I can only ascribe to the influence of the Chinese. During my stay in Melbourne, I spent one evening at supper in a Chinese cookshop in Little Bourke Street, and I was instantly struck by the resemblance between the intonation of the phrases between the Chinese attendants and that of the cultivated Australians who accompanied me."
http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/strine.htm
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:03 pm

You are quite wrong in what You claim she is saying...

But irrelevant to the op...

And your dismissal of the op as 'racist' is pathetic...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:11 am

that what All Aussies are calling him.
He thinks we are still British, We Speak Australian. He is the one in the wrong for starters WHY does he think I should sound like people from a place I never been!!! why would I not take on the tone of my neighbors? almost 40% of Aussies have NO ANGLO BLOOD why would they sound English?

Also We don't give shit if an Englishman understands us an Englishman is of no significance in Asian Pacific trade/business and has too make an effort to Communicate if they want business.  We want the Chinese to understand us cause they has got money to burn, and is they are  most powerful nation in our geopolitical region.

And I understand she(and OP) wants Anglocentric pronunciation and structure that Aussie don't use since we have started to adopt less formal sentence structure like the Chinese.  Additionally some of our Syllables have changed in the way we pronounce them In part because of the adoption of some Chinese words And the way Chinese Australians pronounce them. this is why she found it "full of discords and surprises". Our accent is no longer based on English it is based on a Combination of English and Asian languages from the nations that make up the bulk of our migrants and trade partners. the inflections are not surprising to someone that speaks Aussie and they are in the same place it the 'statement structure' as you find in Chinese languages and Vietnamese.

Yes She makes it like we are less, As is the typical British way, But in reality we are the more advanced as we have abandoned tradition for progress.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:32 am

"Cultured Australians" where can I find one?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:53 pm

nicko wrote:"Cultured Australians" where can I find one?  

Haha...wherever culture exists.

(Oh, and...um, don't bother with the UK. Lol.)

G'day mate, have a cold one... 3489511464

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:39 pm

More culture in England than in all Australia.

Your "culture" has only existed for about 100 yrs.
Look to English history.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:14 pm

nicko wrote:More culture in England than in all Australia.

Your "culture"   has only existed for about 100 yrs.
Look to English history.

Imagine how the French feel about you!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Fuck the French!!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:54 am

nicko wrote:Fuck the French!!!

Fair comment Nicko

G'day mate, have a cold one... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYtIpw2r5Pxq7LhWhBthKmcvwQGXyTPtx_rtqFVyl7NKpwX_Mqzg
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:18 am

nicko wrote:More culture in England than in all Australia.

Your "culture"   has only existed for about 100 yrs.
Look to English history.

To be fair Nicko we didn't really give the place the best of starts by populating it with Hooks, Crooks and Convicts that we didn't want here.

I wonder what Australia would be like if we hadn't done that and just sent more  decent people?

I'm sure that Australia had a culture of it's own long before all these people arrived don't you think?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:26 am

@irn
quite to opposite
the fact that it was originally populated by the down trodden means we are a stronger yet kinder peoples. there is a degree of anti-authoritarianism that is really good, plus as everyone except aboriginals descend from migrants so we don't have half as many issues with the racist crap that seems to go on in the UK. And the Convict labor meant there was never any need for slaves so we don't have those issues like the USA does either.

You see Nicko is wrong what makes Australia's Culture great is it's Dynamic nature its ability to adapt and change quickly. the fact that we don't have 100's of years of history, like a stone around the neck, means we are free to be whatever we need to be to meet tomorrow.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:43 am

veya_victaous wrote:@irn
quite to opposite
the fact that it was originally populated by the down trodden means we are a stronger yet kinder peoples. there is a degree of anti-authoritarianism that is really good, plus as everyone except aboriginals descend from migrants so we don't have half as many issues with the racist crap that seems to go on in the UK. And the Convict labor meant there was never any need for slaves so we don't have those issues like the USA does either.

You see Nicko is wrong what makes Australia's Culture great is it's Dynamic nature its ability to adapt and change quickly. the fact that we don't have 100's of years of history, like a stone around the neck, means we are free to be whatever we need to be to meet tomorrow.

Nicko is just jealous.

Can we get back to having relations with the French?

G'day mate, have a cold one... White-French-Riviera-Crochet-1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down