NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left

3 posters

Go down

Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left Empty Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:14 am

Canada has gone from but a few Liberals in Parliament, to a huge, huge landslide for Liberals, and an ouster of nearly all Conservatives.  The Atlantic Provinces went almost all way, way toward the left.  The big cities of Ontario went to the left, as did Quebec.

Is this what the turmoil in Washington means...Republicans are going to lose everything, and Democrats will take over everything?

BTW, PM Justin Trudeau has told President Obama in a phone call this afternoon that Canada will no longer participate in bombing of ISIL in Syria.  cheers   If this doesn't mean there is a god, it at least means that the earth's axis is in perfect balance.

Fox News wrote:Canadian Liberals win landslide majority in election, unseat Conservative government

Canada's Liberal Party, led by the son of the country's most famous political figure in the second half of the 20th century, ended the nine-year Conservative premiership of Stephen Harper with a landslide victory in Monday's federal election.

According to a tally by the Canadian Press, the Liberals passed the 170-seat threshold needed to gain control of parliament at 12:15 a.m. ET Tuesday. In all, the Liberals won 184 seats. The Conservatives were a distant second with 99 seats, while the left-wing New Democratic Party placed third with 44 seats.

The results mean that Justin Trudeau, 43, a former schoolteacher and son of the late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, will become the second-youngest leader in Canada's history. Trudeau's Liberals had been favored to win the most seats, but few expected a majority and fewer foresaw the final margin of victory.

"We beat fear with hope," Trudeau said in his victory speech to supporters in Montreal early Tuesday. "We beat cynicism with hard work. We beat negative, divisive politics with a positive vision that brings Canadians together. Most of all we defeated the idea that Canadians should be satisfied with less."

"The people are never wrong," Harper said in his concession speech in Calgary. "The disappointment is my responsibility and mine alone."

Harper said he called Trudeau to congratulate him. A statement from the Conservative Party announced that Harper would resign as party leader, but would remain a member of parliament.

Harper had said he would step down if his party didn't win the most seats. Former colleagues of Harper said he would be personally devastated to lose to a Trudeau, the liberal legacy he entered politics to destroy.

Trudeau, who has re-energized the Liberal Party since its devastating electoral losses four years ago, promises to raise taxes on the rich and run deficits for three years to boost government spending. His late father, who took office in 1968 and led Canada for most of the next 16 years, is a storied name in Canadian history, responsible for the country's version of the Bill of Rights.

Pierre Trudeau remains one of the few Canadian politicians known in America, his charisma often drawing comparisons to John F. Kennedy. A bachelor when he became prime minister, he dated actresses Barbra Streisand and Kim Cattrall and married Justin's mother while in office when she was just 22 years old.

"We have a chance to bring real change to Canada and bring an end to the Harper decade," Trudeau said this past weekend in Harper's adopted home province of Alberta, traditionally a Conservative stronghold.

Canada had shifted to the center-right under Harper, who has lowered sales and corporate taxes, avoided climate change legislation and clashed with the Obama administration over the Keystone XL pipeline.

The Trudeau victory is expected to ease tensions with the U.S. Although Trudeau supports the Keystone pipeline, he argues relations should not hinge on the project. Harper has clashed with the Obama administration over other issues, including the recently reached Iran nuclear deal.

Trudeau's opponents pilloried him as too inexperienced, but Trudeau embraced his boyish image on Election Day. Sporting jeans and a varsity letter jacket, he posed for a photo standing on the thighs of two his colleagues to make a cheerleading pyramid, his campaign plane in the backdrop with "Trudeau 2015" painted in large red letters.

Harper, 56, visited districts he won in the 2011 election in an attempt to hang onto them. On Saturday, he posed with Toronto's former crack-smoking mayor, Rob Ford, in a conservative suburb.

Hurt when Canada entered a mild recession earlier this year, Harper made a controversy over the Islamic face veil a focus of his campaign, a decision his opponents seized on to depict him as a divisive leader.

"A sea of change here. We are used to high tides in Atlantic Canada. This is not what we hoped for," said Peter MacKay, a former senior Conservative cabinet minister, shortly after polls closed in Atlantic Canada.

Paula Mcelhinney, 52, from Toronto, voted Liberal to get rid of Harper.

"I want to get him out, it's about time we have a new leader. It's time for a change," she said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left Empty Re: Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left

Post by Eilzel Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:55 am

Seems only UK voters seem resigned to conservative BS. Sad to think my country sees its only option as perpetual stagnation...

Well done Canada :-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left Empty Re: Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:10 am

Eilzel wrote:Seems only UK voters seem resigned to conservative BS. Sad to think my country sees its only option as perpetual stagnation...

Well done Canada :-)

You may see Britain change quickly.  Canada, perhaps because of its proximity to the US, is a leader among the Commonwealth nations. She is the largest trading partner the US has.

The strength of this reversal is going to leave a huge wake, that will rock more than a few boats.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:20 am

Well I hope it remains strong enough to rock them all the way across the Irish sea come 2020 haha
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 am

Haha...me too. We'll see.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:12 am

Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left L6EmhtB
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:17 am

So its a good thing that Canada is choosing not to help stop Isis

Do Liberals enjoy watching Isis murder their way through civilian populations??

Oh well who the hell are Canada anyways??

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:58 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:So its a good thing that Canada is choosing not to help stop Isis

Well, they are one hell of a lot bigger than Britain. Seriously, Canadians are the class of the Americas, with McGill University leading the way. And I think they are the harbinger of things to come.

I have been saying it for months, but people are going to tire of the burlesque show being put on by conservative Republicans. The Republican Party is finished...we have only to realize it. Carnival barker Donald Trump is the final signal that the Party has sunken into the depths of depravity.

And Smells, really ISIL isn't the issue here. The Syrian people are the issue. No one in the west is doing anything to help the Syrian people. People like you are only there to vent your hatred for Muslims; you aren't there to help anyone. You, the US and Canada can only be a destructive force in the region. We are just there to blow up hospitals, orphanages and churches. We have no purpose. Ask yourself, if you have a purpose you have an endgame--what is the endgame in Syria?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:So its a good thing that Canada is choosing not to help stop Isis

Well, they are one hell of a lot bigger than Britain.  Seriously, Canadians are the class of the Americas, with McGill University leading the way.  And I think they are the harbinger of things to come.  

I have been saying it for months, but people are going to tire of the burlesque show being put on by conservative Republicans.  The Republican Party is finished...we have only to realize it.  Carnival barker Donald Trump is the final signal that the Party has sunken into the depths of depravity.

And Smells, really ISIL isn't the issue here.  The Syrian people are the issue.  No one in the west is doing anything to help the Syrian people.  People like you are only there to vent your hatred for Muslims; you aren't there to help anyone.  You, the US and Canada can only be a destructive force in the region.  We are just there to blow up hospitals, orphanages and churches.  We have no purpose.  Ask yourself, if you have a purpose you have an endgame--what is the endgame in Syria?

scratch

ISIS isnt the issue??

"No one in the west is doing anything to help the Syrian people"

so who do the syrians need helping from if ISIS isnt a problem??

i guess those refugees are exactly what we have been saying they are - economic migrants, becasue according to you they have no reason to be fleeing ISIS who apparently isnt a problem

relieved

we can send them all back to syria now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:48 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Well, they are one hell of a lot bigger than Britain.  Seriously, Canadians are the class of the Americas, with McGill University leading the way.  And I think they are the harbinger of things to come.  

I have been saying it for months, but people are going to tire of the burlesque show being put on by conservative Republicans.  The Republican Party is finished...we have only to realize it.  Carnival barker Donald Trump is the final signal that the Party has sunken into the depths of depravity.

And Smells, really ISIL isn't the issue here.  The Syrian people are the issue.  No one in the west is doing anything to help the Syrian people.  People like you are only there to vent your hatred for Muslims; you aren't there to help anyone.  You, the US and Canada can only be a destructive force in the region.  We are just there to blow up hospitals, orphanages and churches.  We have no purpose.  Ask yourself, if you have a purpose you have an endgame--what is the endgame in Syria?

scratch

ISIS isnt the issue??

"No one in the west is doing anything to help the Syrian people"

so who do the syrians need helping from if ISIS isnt a problem??

i guess those refugees are exactly what we have been saying they are - economic migrants, becasue according to you they have no reason to be fleeing ISIS who apparently isnt a problem

relieved  

we can send them all back to syria now.

People in Syria are not fleeing ISIL.  They're fleeing the war there.  That means you, smells.  You and your war-mongering mindset are what is causing their misery.

ISIL is simply one side of the civil war going on generally in the Middle East.  ISIL is no more than a continuation of the Baath Party, and thus they are the major arm of the Sunnis.  

So now that we've got that sorted, why do you oppose the Sunnis?  And, ipso facto that means you back Iran, the leader among the Shi'ite faction.  So, why do you back Iran?

Ah...it's useless talking analysis with you?  You haven't got the brains god gave a little green apple.

Here, you've earned it: scratch

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:54 pm

"Isis is a continuation of the baath party "

Quill when you talk, do you often find that people end up laughing??

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:53 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:"Isis is a continuation of the baath party "

Quill when you talk, do you often find that people end up laughing??

erm...that's when you talk, smells,
And they're not laughing, sweet pea...they're choking.

Stunner--Canadian landslide to the left Why-i-hate-coffee-a-confession

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:19 pm

The thing is quill I really struggle to take you seriously

The things you come out lead me to beleive 1 of 2 things

1 - you are genuinely as stupid and misinformed as you come across as

2 - you are taking the piss looking for a bite

Either way I find you entertaining and take you with a pinch of salt

Baath party indeed

*chortle*

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:32 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:The thing is quill I really struggle to take you seriously

The things you come out lead me to beleive 1 of 2 things

1 - you are genuinely as stupid and misinformed as you come across as

2 - you are taking the piss looking for a bite

Either way I find you entertaining and take you with a pinch of salt

Baath party indeed

*chortle*

Smells...let's face it, you struggle period. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down