NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain

4 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain  - Page 2 Empty Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain  - Page 2 The-Union-Foodbank-Petition-2909185

Campaign: Trussell Trust Chairman Chris Mould, Rachel Reeves MP, Jack Monroe, Unite's James Bevan, Maria Eagle MP and Mirror's Ros Wynne-Jones.
In the House of Commons today, MPs face a critical debate on the rise of food bank use and the increase in hunger levels in the UK today.

The Labour Party are using Opposition Day to discuss the food bank petition I launched with the Daily Mirror and Unite the Union – that gained an astonishing 100,000 signatures in just two days, demonstrating an overwhelming strength of public feeling.

At lunchtime, I’ll be speaking to MPs and campaigners before the debate, sharing my own experiences of poverty in a supposedly developed country.

Since starting to raise awareness of food bank use in the press last April with Oxfam’s “Walking The Breadline” report, I’ve realised how many lies and how much propaganda is out there. And I hear the same tired rhetoric again and again, from everyone from ordinary people to MPs and Lords.

So, on the day of the Opposition Day food bank debate, here’s 20 things you should know about food banks and hunger in Britain today.

1. Food bank use in the South East, the region known for its wealth and relative prosperity, is up over 60% this year.

2. A decade ago, food banks were almost unheard of in the UK. The Trussell Trust, the UK’s largest network of food banks, now opens new food banks in Britain every week to cope with the increase in referrals.

3. The Government commissioned a report into the rise in food bank use in June this year. DEFRA investigated, and the Government are refusing to publish the report.

4. Thousands of families face the prospect of relying on emergency food handouts this Christmas.

5. Some people who are in full time work are using food banks to support themselves and their families. Many of these work zero hour contracts – people are employed, but can work little or no hours in a week. They have no financial stability, and are not guaranteed enough to pay their rent, bills, or buy food.

6. Half a million people received emergency food assistance from a Trussell Trust food bank between April and December 2013. This is more than the number assisted in the entire year before (346,992).

7. Robin Aitkin in the Telegraph claims that: “A new service is being offered to more and more communities, and naturally people are using it. The sustained media interest in food banks has acted as a giant advertising campaign.” This is simply untrue. People cannot simply turn up to a food bank and ask for help, they need to be identified as being in need by a healthcare professional or social services or similar, and referred with a form or a voucher. It isn’t, as certain politicians would have you believe, an opportunist desire for free food.

8. Figures from the Trussell Trust show that changes to the benefit system are the most common cause for food bank use in Britain. Nearly a third had been referred after benefits had been delayed, and a further 19% due to their benefits being cut or stopped.

9. 3 in 10 people say they are now struggling to feed themselves and their family because of the rising cost of food.

10. Lord Freud (again) thinks that food banks are a good thing and that local authorities should ‘ramp up support in kind’. Speaking at a recent conference on welfare reform, he said that it is “absolutely appropriate” that charities should provide free food parcels to people hit by benefit cuts and delays.

11. Niall Cooper, the national co-ordinator of Church Action On Poverty, says: “Where are we as a society that people in work are having to turn to food banks? It’s a big question but it does not feel like one the Government wants to answer.”

12. All 152 councils in England have set up welfare assistance schemes to replace the crisis loan and community care grant elements of the social fund, which until April were provided by the DWP. Some schemes offer food vouchers in place of cash assistance, and a number are working in partnership with food banks. Despite 87% of benefit claimants being in work, almost two-thirds of the local council welfare schemes stipulate that working people are not eligible for their help.

13. Nottinghamshire council is proposing to close its welfare assistance scheme in April, and will cease to refer people to food banks or offer additional support.

14. Lord Freud (again!) claims that there is no robust evidence of a link between welfare reform and the rise in food bank use. However over half of the people referred to food banks are there due to delays and cuts in benefits, and benefit sanctions.

15. Today there are more than 400 food banks across Britain, with new ones opening every couple of days.

16. Some food banks now open twice a day in order to meet the number of referrals in their local community. The Storehouse, in Southend, changed its opening times earlier this year to accommodate the growing number of people in need in their community. The Storehouse is an independently run food bank, part of the Vineyard church, and not affiliated with the Trussell Trust.

17. Since April this year the number of people referred to food banks because they can’t afford to feed themselves due to benefit changes has increased. Over half of food bank referrals are due to welfare issues, such as cuts and changes to benefits, delays, and sanctions.

18. A mum of two whose husband is in work was referred to Chiltern food bank for help after the council made a mistake with her housing benefit. “I was really embarrassed at first, but the volunteer at the food bank really boosted my confidence and self esteem. She made me feel like I was worth something.”

19. Food banks don’t just hand out emergency food, they also provide other essentials such as nappies, formula milk and sanitary towels.

20. Food banks do not encourage a cycle of dependency. Molly Hodson from the Trussell Trust says: “Our food banks are different to American and Canadian food banks, they are an emergency service. Where there is a welfare provision, nobody should be at a point where they can’t put food on the table long term. We help people out of poverty by working with local agencies and charities for example if someone has debt problems, we put them in touch with a debt counselling charity. We want to help resolve the issues, and make sure people have a route out of poverty.”

You can still sign the petition at www.change.org/foodbanks – and tweet your MP right now to demand they attend the debate

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/food-bank-debate-jack-monroes-2937649#ixzz2npOTXUUg
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

No  A further indictment on this awful coalition..Time to get rid

Back to top Go down

Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain  - Page 2 Empty Re: Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Catman wrote:Yes...But they still only get £70 to pay for all the things that i have listed which isn't possible.
Of course it is.  I live very frugally Phil - most of my money goes on my animals.  My weekly shopping bill for myself rarely exceeds €30 because I buy fresh veg and cook my own food.  I don't drink or smoke - and I have to run a car because I'm nowhere near shops.  If I lived in town and only had a little flat to heat and only myself to keep, and no rent/mortgage to pay, I'd be quite comfortable on £70 a week.

Back to top Go down

Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain  - Page 2 Empty Re: Food bank debate: 20 things you need to know about food banks and hunger in Britain

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:29 pm

PhilDidge wrote:No, it is not rubbish, just because you claim so I am afraid.

It is rubbish because i say so.

I live in social housing and we rely on benefits and you don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Veritas wrote:
Catman wrote:Yes...But they still only get £70 to pay for all the things that i have listed which isn't possible.
Of course it is.  I live very frugally Phil - most of my money goes on my animals.  My weekly shopping bill for myself rarely exceeds €30 because I buy fresh veg and cook my own food.  I don't drink or smoke - and I have to run a car because I'm nowhere near shops.  If I lived in town and only had a little flat to heat and only myself to keep, and no rent/mortgage to pay, I'd be quite comfortable on £70 a week.

Brilliant and that shows as I know others do so on less than others, which goes back to my point, that if you can do it and others do it, then why is it some others cannot?

Fair play Tess am impressed, take my hat off to you on this.

Last edited by PhilDidge on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Veritas wrote:

lol!  If you say so!  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Catman wrote:
Veritas wrote:

No different being you are claiming you experience the same as she is, yet she can manage her money, that speaks volumes to me, even more so as I grew up with very little ad was also very happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Catman wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:Yes and they get plenty of help on other things too, if you read like with bills, of which I found out you can add to the housing benefit.

People that live in housing association or council flats don't get any help with their bills end of.

Can you give a quick example of your bills Mr Catman - not how much, just which bills a typical person has to pay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:39 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Catman wrote:

No different being you are claiming you experience the same as she is, yet she can manage her money, that speaks volumes to me, even more so as I grew up with very little ad was also very happy.

She is surmising and doesn't actually live in the situation, also she lives in Ireland and she doesn't rely on benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:40 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Catman wrote:

People that live in housing association or council flats don't get any help with their bills end of.

Can you give a quick example of your bills Mr Catman - not how much, just which bills a typical person has to pay.

...Mind your own business.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:41 pm

How long have you been on benefits Mr Catman?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:44 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:How long have you been on benefits Mr Catman?

Mind your own business.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Catman wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

She is surmising and doesn't actually live in the situation, also she lives in Ireland and she doesn't rely on benefits.

That is a very big claim to make, am sure you are mistaken, yes she does live in Ireland, and I am sure she is retired now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Catman wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I'm not surmising I'm simply stating fact. And £70 is £70 whether it comes from benefits or savings. I bet you have central heating - I don't. I bet you can afford the odd drinkie or two as well. Now tell me you never buy takeaways... You CAN manage on £70 a week. For people with kids that's different; I feel really sorry for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Veritas wrote:
Catman wrote:

I'm not surmising I'm simply stating fact.  And £70 is £70 whether it comes from benefits or savings.  I bet you have central heating - I don't.  I bet you can afford the odd drinkie or two as well.  Now tell me you never buy takeaways... You CAN manage on £70 a week.  For people with kids that's different; I feel really sorry for them.

I have demonstrated in this thread why it's impossible to live on £70 if you would care to read back.

My own personal circumstances are none of anyone's business apart from to say that we don't survive on £70 (at the moment) and i get family support as i'm due an inheritance next year at which point i won't be needing any benefits because i'm going into business with my brother.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:07 pm

It is not impossible as people do live on this money and get by. You are talking to someone who grew up not in a council house, no benefits, just child allowance, which was little but rented accommodation, with 11 other people from the same family and we had far less to go on, no TV, no luxuries, just food on the table, no heating. Sorry you have no idea of what hardship is until you have experienced it, and I did experience this with far less and we never went hungry, as my parents placed what was needed above everything else.
So please do not even try to claim you cannot live when I know damn well people can and do!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:15 pm

PhilDidge wrote:It is not impossible as people do live on this money and get by. You are talking to someone who grew up not in a council house, no benefits, just child allowance, which was little but rented accommodation, with 11 other people from the same family and we had far less to go on, no TV, no luxuries, just food on the table, no heating. Sorry you have no idea of what hardship is until you have experienced it, and I did experience this with far less and we never went hungry, as my parents placed what was needed above everything else.
So please do not even try to claim you cannot live when I know damn well people can and do!

Some people have to because they have no other choice but they are freezing in winter and starving with the cost of food rising and benefits being frozen for the next three years this situation is only going to get worse and on top of that arrears are building up on peoples council homes due to the bedroom tax and these people will lose their homes and add to the massive amount of homeless people already living on the streets.

Tories like to ignore the facts and cover them up with outright lies.  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Jesus wept, we had no heating in winter, so what do you think we did?

We kept warm with extra clothing and blankets

Not difficult, if I can do it so can others.

Only the elderly will that be different for!

I have not even denied there are genuine people out there that need help, my point is though others get by with little, so the point being missed is why others cannot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:23 pm

PhilDidge wrote:Jesus wept, we had no heating in winter, so what do you think we did?

We kept warm with extra clothing and blankets

Not difficult, if I can do it so can others.

Only the elderly will that be different for!

I have not even denied there are genuine people out there that need help, my point is though others get by with little, so the point being missed is why others cannot!

You Victorianists are determined to turn the clocks back to a bygone era. We live in 21st century Britain FFS!.....We are still one of the riches economies in the world and our poor shouldn't have to be doing what you describe.

The rich should be made to pay their fair share and will in 2015 when Labour come to power and make them pay their fair share for a change in the form of higher taxes..mansion tax, and closing tax loopholes etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:26 pm

How many more times, you can't just say you need food from a food bank and get it:

Frontline care professionals identify people in need

Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and police identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. Foodbanks partner with a wide range of care professionals who are best placed to assess need and make sure that it is genuine.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/how-it-works

They have to make sure people are genuine, they can't afford to give out parcels willy-nilly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Sassy wrote:How many more times, you can't just say you need food from a food bank and get it:

Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and police identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. Foodbanks partner with a wide range of care professionals who are best placed to assess need and make sure that it is genuine.

They have to make sure people are genuine, they can't afford to give out parcels willy-nilly.

It's all smoke and mirrors with them unfortunately.  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:31 pm

I am far from being Victorian thank you as I do not believe in inequality, I believe in equality for all through the law, same rights for people, so that was poor to say the least.

Again my argument is not on what the rich should do but why some people can manage on little income where others do not. That says to me whether there are other issues at hand and if people are in fact being irresponsible with their money placing material objects over what is more vital to their needs.

So I live in the 21st century and I am asking why in the 21st century some people can manage very well on low incomes, where others do not, as it is easy to cast blame solely onto something when the bigger pictures shows something very different! I tried to look for all reasons and the root causes to a problem, by doing so it can thus help people for the better in the future. I would also like there to be a proper living wage, and many other things, but this is on a debate about if the reality of food banks is as it is being portrayed, my view is that it is not all as it seems

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Putting on another coat doesn't feed you when you have no food to feed the children.

I'm not discussing this any more, because the lack of compassion and total non-understanding of the situation some people find themselves in FOR NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, BUT THROUGH CIRCUMSTANCES THEY CANNOT CONTROL is making me very angry. It seems that some people will do and say anything to avoid admitting what is being done to WORKING PEOPLE in this country by this total inhumane useless Government.

Last edited by Sassy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Sassy wrote:How many more times, you can't just say you need food from a food bank and get it:

That is not a comprehensive study of the issue Sassy, that is a charity that helps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm

PhilDidge wrote:

That is not a comprehensive study of the issue Sassy, that is a charity that helps!

Who said it was a study? ITS THE RULES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:38 pm

It is their rules and adds little to try and understand if there is a bigger problem of which is being claimed than there was before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 pm

They are unindated because more people are bloody hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because this fucking government has caused people to be hungry. Yes I know, those who support the Government will do and say absolutely anything to avoid that FACT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Today's the day!

After 142,000 people signed our petition (142,000!) -- Parliament will debate why so many people in the UK are hungry and relying on foodbanks to feed their families this Christmas.

This debate is long overdue and it has been our sheer force of numbers that has made it happen, so thank you.

Hundreds of you have contacted your MPs to make sure they show up and stand up for hungry people in their constituencies -- people in work, out of work, living on their own, with children, without children, all struggling to put food on the table. I'll be in Parliament today to report back on which MPs turn up.

This debate is about finding out why so many people are hungry in one of the richest countries in the world. It is just the first step to tackling the issue but it is crucial. We need to understand the causes of hunger before we can address them.

Let's make sure everyone knows this debate is happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Wrong, the last government it seems is very much to blame:

"Just think of all the proud achievements they’ve notched up in just 32 months: a six-fold increase in people relying on food banks [...] and the longest fall in living standards for nearly a century." Owen Jones, The Independent, January 7 2013
NB: This article was updated on January 15, 2013.
Halfway through the government's term in office, a number of papers published their report card of the Coalition's achievements so far. Some delivered positive verdicts; others, like Owen Jones in the Independent, were less enthusiastic.
We picked two claims from Jones' article which we felt stood out, in that they were striking and fairly specific. According to Jones, there's been "a six-fold increase in people relying on food banks" and "the longest fall in living standards for nearly a century." Are things really so dire? Let's find out.
The Trussel Trust started out in 1997 as a humanitarian initiative in Bulgaria, and launched its first UK food bank in Salisbury in 2004. Last month they published a report with a round-up of their work so far.
They're the main source for Owen Jones' claim on food banks, which was originally raised by Ed Miliband at PMQs on December 19:
"Is the Prime Minister as concerned as I am that there has been a sixfold increase in the last three years in the number of people relying on food banks?"
Are the numbers really so staggering?
According to the Trussel Trust, their foodbanks fed 128,697 people nationwide in the 2011-12 financial year, "100 per cent more than the previous year. Numbers fed by our foodbanks have risen by 397 per cent since 2008."
They added,
"New foodbanks are opening at the rate of three a week and the number of people fed by foodbanks has doubled to almost 130,000 in the last year alone"
Leaving aside the fact that a rise by 397 per cent signifies a five-fold increase, not a six-fold one, it's important to note that since this increase can be traced to 2008, it is at least in part attributable to the Labour government rather than just the Coalition, as one might infer from Jones' article.
There is also a point to be made that this increase in the number of food banks doesn't necessarily mean demand for food banks has grown at the same rate. It could be that the demand was always there, and we can explain the growth in food banks as a drive to respond to it. Since 2004 The Trussell Trust has launched over 250 foodbanks nationwide.
Here is how the Trussel Trust illustrated their growth since the launch of their foodbank network:

In 2005/6, the Trussel Trust foodbanks fed 2,814 people. Does this mean there were only 2,814 people in need of food banks in the whole of the UK? Unlikely.
However, this is not to say the demand for food banks has not grown. In its first year, Salisbury foodbank fed 600 people. We asked the Trussel Trust how many people relied on the Salisbury bank last year. It was 4000, a 566% (more than six-fold) increase in the six years. Of course this could also mean that awareness of the foodbank has grown since then. Once again, at least 5 years of the growth were overseen by a Labour administration. This point is lost in Owen Jones's article.
On to the second claim.
We contacted Owen Jones to ask for his source for the following claim: [we have witnessed] "the longest fall in living standards for nearly a century." The Independent's columnist pointed us to research published by the Resolution Foundation which in 2011 carried out an analysis on wages based on data from the Office for Budget Responsibility and the Office for National Statistics.
"After controlling for inflation (in constant 2010 prices), median wages of full-time employees were £25,570 in 2003 and will be £25,559 in 2015."
Two years ago - eight months into the coalition's rule - the then Bank of Engand governor Mervyn King commented on the findings saying this is "the most prolonged fall in living standards for more than 80 years."

It's worth pointing out that the Resolution Foundation's findings were based on 2010 wages and inflation figures, so it's not fair to attribute the projected outcome to two and a half years of coalition government, as opposed to the combined effect of Labour and coalition policies as well as the global financial situation.
In fact, the Resolution Foundation itself found that "official figures show that wages had already stopped growing as far back as 2003," seven whole years before the coalition took power.
Though we can't account for Owen Jones' overall assessment of the coalition's track record, there is data for the two claims we selected at the beginning of this article. Unfortunately, most of it relates to the period before the coalition government was elected. In fact, both phenomena - the growth of food bank numbers and the plunge in living standards - took hold during the Labour administration.
If you have seen any other coalition report cards claims that you'd like us to check, please get in touch.
Update: The University of Bristol and the CEPS/INSTEAD Research Institute presented a research paper on food poverty to the EU Task Force on Material Deprivation. Using data published by the Eurostat on Income and Living Conditions, the task force was able to outline the "inability to afford a meal with meat, chicken, fish (or vegetarian equivalent) every second day" in various European countries since 2005.
The dataset relating to the United Kingdom shows the number of families that are unable to afford certain types of food:

Though this data isn't by any means comprehensive, it does raise some questions about the notion that food poverty grew after the Coalition entered office.

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/food_poverty_living_standards-28692

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:41 pm

PhilDidge wrote:One mention of food banks and we are all supposed to break out the Andrex tissues, wipe away our tears of sympathy and empty our cupboards into the nearest food bank donation box.

Unsurprisingly, my eyes are as dry as they were at my mother-in-laws funeral. Gove says food bank users have themselves to blame for being 'unable to manage their finances'. I agree.

Food bank users are like terminal cancer patients. There may not be a tomorrow so spend like hell today. It reminds me of children given money in a gift shop. They have to spend it all immediately, driven by a desire to spend not a desire for something they need.

One food bank user commented: "We were given a food parcel. Me and my partner sat down and ate for four hours solid until it was all gone".

To get hold of this free food, users have to wangle a voucher from an agency worker at a job centre or drop in clinic, supposedly to a maximum of three. This limit is not enforced.

Oscar-winning performances of desperation are plenty. A recent BBC documentary showed one man lying that it was his son's birthday in order to procure a voucher.

Individuals like this have become vouchers tourists travelling between agencies, collecting vouchers quicker than genital warts on a student. When a food bank challenges the agencies that have issued them, they hear that "it was easier to hand out a voucher than manage the person".

Undoubtedly these food banks deliver huge cost savings for agency and DWP budgets. Instead of dipping into their own hardship funds, ring fenced for those in moments of crises, they can hand out food bank vouchers.

People are playing the system because it is there to be had.

There are rich pickings for those on the take. As with any market, a black market is quick to spring up in its shadow. Food parcels are just another form of currency where high value items like nappies and baby formula are traded for drinks, fags and drugs.

Some food banks workers have explained how fresh produce and food that needs preparation is regularly handed back in favour of instant gratification and more expensive items. It is a peculiar world when those receiving hand outs can afford the luxury of choice.

Before the food bank even stocks its shelves any out of date items are disposed of. In good middle class homes across the country, sell by dates are disregarded as heartily as the arrival of a fifth child or new lodger in the house.

Of course there are genuine food bank users. But the massive growth in these food banks is not because more people are hungry. It is largely because we are feeding the dirty habits of people perfectly happy to live a life on the take.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/katie-hopkins/food-bank-real-reason-use-has-trebled_b_4121733.html

...so it's the faults of the food banks Didge and nothing to do with government austerity?, the latter of your post apples only to some Didge, not everyone on the dole is a drug addict, and besides if some councils pulled out their finger and worked more closely with at risk kids , then perhaps some of the unecessary deaths of kids could be avoided...

But this is also the result partly due to a government hell bent on stripping services to the core, even if it costs lives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:50 pm

jd - we could have carried on spending money we don't have (not on me and my family of course) until we had real austerity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:53 pm

We have money, its just going to the wrong people, those who sit on their bums and tell others to stop whining, while they live off the fat of the land.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Sassy wrote:We have money, its just going to the wrong people, those who sit on their bums and tell others to stop whining, while they live off the fat of the land.

Who has money sassy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:02 pm

I doubt there is an evidence of people trading baby milk for drugs (why is it always baby milk? How many baby milk factories did Iraq suddenly have when the bombing began?!)
Some seem to be under the impression that this is used by people to free up money for other things, its worth bearing in mind, only 3 visits to the food bank is permissible in one year. What is given is approx three days emergency basics, tea, pasta cereal,tins of beans, sugar and a fray bentos pie or tin of corned beef. Hardly going to fund a drug habit with a packet of smartprice cornflakes and some beans.
As for people going to the foodbank in cars, I do, I have been about half a dozen times in the last month. I collect the food and deliver it to those who cant get there themselves, you know the elderly and disabled or as yesterday a woman in hiding after her husband set the house on fire while her and the kids slept.
Believe the propaganda if it makes you feel better. I know the truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 pm

I have to say, bloody well said.

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

NemsAgain wrote:I doubt there is an evidence of  people trading baby milk for drugs (why is it always baby milk? How many baby milk factories did Iraq suddenly have when the bombing began?!)
Some seem to be under the impression that this is used by people to free up money for other things, its worth bearing in mind, only 3 visits to the food bank is permissible in one year. What is given is approx three days emergency basics, tea, pasta cereal,tins of beans, sugar and a fray bentos pie or tin of corned beef. Hardly going to fund a drug habit with a packet of smartprice cornflakes and some beans.
As for people going to the foodbank in cars, I do, I have been about half a dozen times in the last month. I collect the food and deliver it to those who cant get there themselves, you know the elderly and disabled or as yesterday a woman in hiding after her husband  set the house on fire while her and the kids slept.
Believe the propaganda if it makes you feel better. I know the truth.

Well said  alien  for you if I could x
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Nems

Again to try as people are doing here to blame this on the coalition as seen when it has been an ongoing problem for years is poor to say the least. I myself grew up in real poverty, and it had no affect on me. I also know very well that there are thousands out there that can manage and do not need to go to food banks on similar income or on benefits. The reality is yes some people do need to and in fact many might have need this long before, but people always ignore the point of why people can manage why others cannot, this is always over look.

As seen from the link this problem has been around for a long time, thus both Governments share responsibility. Making a political argument out of this is thus moot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks peeps. As you know this is my world and the crap that people still believe astounds me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 pm

PhilDidge wrote:Hi Nems

Again to try as people are doing here to blame this on the coalition as seen when it has been an ongoing problem for years is poor to say the least. I myself grew up in real poverty, and it had no affect on me. I also know very well that there are thousands out there that can manage and do not need to go to food banks on similar income or on benefits. The reality is yes some people do need to and in fact many might have need this long before, but people always ignore the point of why people can manage why others cannot, this is always over look.

As seen from the link this problem has been around for a long time, thus both Governments share responsibility. Making a political argument out of this is thus moot.

Didge whilst the politicians are after 11% pay rises whilst turning down EU foodbank funding it is political

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

The last government didn't slash benefits and introduce the bedroom tax which is why we've seen an explosion in food banks and that is down to this wretched coalition government.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 pm

NemsAgain wrote:

Didge whilst the politicians are after 11% pay rises whilst turning down EU foodbank funding it is political

Sorry again back to politics and again avoiding why others have no need to use food banks yet are on the same wages or benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Because they have an emergency that they don't have the cash for.   Did you not read Nem's post about the woman who had her house set on fire?   What about if your boiler blows up, or two of your children have got to have new shoes at the same time, or you have a flood, or the roof leaks, or someone is in hospital and you have to spend money to get to them, or 1001 things that happen unexpectedly etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Last edited by Sassy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:28 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Sorry again back to politics and again avoiding why others have no need to use food banks yet are on the same wages or benefits.

You already asked that question earlier in the thread.

Some people can get help from family, friends and neighbours etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:30 pm

That does not answer my question, I am saying in a similar situation, that is a different situation and again people do this on their own without help, so why can others manage this, and clearly many do, as many are on minimum wage and yet others cannot?

Sorry, again there are genuine cases, but also there are people who are irresponsible with money also and know doubt some also taking the mick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:31 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Maybe not every ones cooker blew up or pipes burst or washing machine broke or relationship ended or they got burgled or they needed to pay for school uniforms or any one of hundreds of other things that mean someone needs help
Anyone can live on £70 for a week, what cant be done is live on it week after week after week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Sassy wrote:Because they have an emergency that they don't have the cash for.   Did you not read Nem's post about the woman who had her house set on fire?   What about if your boiler blows up, or two of your children have got to have new shoes at the same time, or you have a flood, or the roof leaks, or someone is in hospital and you have to spend money to get to them, or 1001 things that happen unexpectedly etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

One example provided does not tell the full picture sassy by any means, I stated already there is clearly some genuine cases, that is not my issue.

My issue is many can manage to get by without any need for food banks and in similar situations

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Maybe not every ones cooker blew up or pipes burst or washing machine broke or relationship ended or they got burgled or they needed to pay for school uniforms or any one of hundreds of other things that mean someone needs help
Anyone can live on £70 for a week, what cant be done is live on it week after week after week.

My family did, week after week, after year, after year and with 12 mouths to feed including mine!

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

NemsAgain wrote:

Indeed! Foodbank should be provided more regularly and there should be no limits! I am appalled it is limited to 3 times!  confused 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Yea, Michael Portillo did a programme about living on JSA in the flat of someone who was out of work.   He did it for a fortnight.   He said he could just about manage it but felt hungry and if his shoes had worn out or his trousers had got torn he would be in real trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:34 pm

David wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Indeed!  Foodbank should be provided more regularly and there should be no limits!  I am appalled it is limited to 3 times!   confused 

My parents would have felt ashamed for going to such a place to think they could not look after their own David, again my family did this for years on little, again I see again little to show why many others cannot do the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:35 pm

OFGS! In one ear and out the other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Yea...That's right they got rid of the crisis loans and the community care grants that used to take care of emergency situations like the ones in Nems post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next