NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women

3 posters

Go down

Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women Empty Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

There are 37 million more men than women in India, and most of them are of marriageable age given the relatively young population. A social time-bomb is now setting off there with terrifying consequences, and until the gang-rape in Dehli a year ago, very little attention was paid to this.

Imagine a world where the proportion of girls being born is so low that large proportions of males just cannot find partners when they come of age. In such a world they are more likely to congregate in gangs for company. In turn, that means they are more likely to engage in risky behaviour: i.e. commit crime, do drugs and engage in violence against women. In gangs, men are more likely to harass women and even commit rape.

But this isn’t some dystopian fantasy – there are 37 million more men than women in India, and most of them are of marriageable age given the relatively young population. A social time-bomb is now setting off there with terrifying consequences.

While researching for my e-book on violence against women in India, earlier this year I came across an extraordinary article on why some brothers living in the same household were sharing a wife rather than marrying separate women.

Let that sink in for a moment. The Times of India reported in 2005 on instances where between two and five brothers living in a house, in rural areas in the state of Punjab, had married the same woman. It was extraordinary not just for what was in it, but for what was left out.

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2013/12/why-india-sitting-social-timb-bomb-violence-against-women

Fascinating article.

Back to top Go down

Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women Empty Re: Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:02 pm

I think it's hilarious how the country with the rape culture gives other countries shit over women's rights.

Back to top Go down

Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women Empty Re: Why India is sitting on a social time-bomb of violence against women

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:I think it's hilarious how the country with the rape culture gives other countries shit over women's rights.

So if my country ever started an unjustified war (which it did), that means I can't speak out against other unjustified wars despite the fact that I objected? Only people from flawless nations can be critics?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:I think it's hilarious how the country with the rape culture gives other countries shit over women's rights.

So if my country ever started an unjustified war (which it did), that means I can't speak out against other unjustified wars despite the fact that I objected? Only people from flawless nations can be critics?

Never said they couldn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Not really seeing how it's "hilarious" when this happens, then -- especially when the author is a Brit of Indian heritage.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Not really seeing how it's "hilarious" when this happens, then -- especially when the author is a Brit of Indian heritage.

The author? Of the article posted in the OP?
Wasn't referring to that, just speaking in general.

And it's funny because it's like an obese person calling a girl ugly because she's slightly chubby.
It's like a Neo-Nazi complaining about being politically silenced.
It's like a vegan wearing leather.

That sort of thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Not really seeing how it's "hilarious" when this happens, then -- especially when the author is a Brit of Indian heritage.

Exactly, I feel the same, the point here is one of concern, especially with such a disparity in numbers between men and women, which could create huge problems, of which I believe China is facing the same with Ben.

As I say it is an interesting article.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:25 pm

This news is very alarming. There is an epidemic of brutal rapes in India and the 'problem' will get worse as the rate of female abortions are still very very high.

Something drastic needs to be done soon.

Last edited by SEXY MAMA on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:

And it's funny because it's like an obese person calling a girl ugly because she's slightly chubby.

That sort of thing.

But don't you see, that's totally crazy. The United Kingdom did not commission this article. It was written by one person, who probably doesn't think rape is OK. It's like saying I as an American can't condemn the aggressive actions of other countries' militaries because a bunch of assholes here in America decided to use our military for the same purpose. Nowhere in the article did the writer, Sunny Hundal, say:

"This is a reason for we British to feel superior to India, because Lord knows nothing bad ever happens in our country!"
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:

That sort of thing.

But don't you see, that's totally crazy. The United Kingdom did not commission this article. It was written by one person, who probably doesn't think rape is OK. It's like saying I as an American can't condemn the aggressive actions of other countries' militaries because a bunch of assholes here in America decided to use our military for the same purpose. Nowhere in the article did the writer, Sunny Hundal, say:

"This is a reason for we British to feel superior to India, because Lord knows nothing bad ever happens in our country!"

I never said anyone couldn't.
That doesn't mean it isn't funny though.
For example, if another country was using drone warfare it would be hilarious for the US to condemn them.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

For example, if another country was using drone warfare it would be hilarious for the US to condemn them.

'Hilarious' is not the word i would use though  Shocked 
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Swap Hilarious with Hypocritical and you got it right  Rolling Eyes 

I can see the Humour in Hypocrites but it is less funny when it is serious matters like this.  silent silent silent 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

China was the same and now the Chicks have all the power, since they have a lot of options. it may shift in India too.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:10 am

Knave Of Spades wrote:

But like I said ... the author of this article is not a country, he's a person who probably thinks rape is wrong.

In your example, a country that uses drones condemns another for using drones. That's hypocritical.

But here, a guy who likely does not condone rape is writing about a dangerous situation in India that could cause rapes to rise. Not hypocritical in the least. Also not funny.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:

But like I said ... the author of this article is not a country, he's a person who probably thinks rape is wrong.

In your example, a country that uses drones condemns another for using drones. That's hypocritical.

But here, a guy who likely does not condone rape is writing about a dangerous situation in India that could cause rapes to rise. Not hypocritical in the least. Also not funny.

Like I said I wasn't referring to the article, I was speaking generally.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:43 am

@ben
I think he meant in relation to this
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/12/18/india-diplomat-us-immunity/4108553/

Secretary of State John Kerry called a cabinet official in New Delhi on Wednesday to express regret over the arrest of India deputy general counsel Devyani Khobragade, who was stripped- and cavity-searched during her arrest on charges that she didn't pay her housekeeper enough money.

The India government reacted with outrage, going so far as to remove security barriers outside the U.S. embassy in New Delhi and canceling duty-free liquor deliveries to the embassy.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down