NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non education and ignorance of....

2 posters

Go down

Non education and ignorance of.... Empty Non education and ignorance of....

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Certain conditions like Autism, Aspergers as well as whole range of other conditions are still fairly misunderstood and interpreted by others, as I said before I have an autistic son who is nearing four now, so clever , great memory , beautiful and very, very happy...

Although he can not talk yet he makes communication with us , as a complete family he has had the best of us all and we all know what he means when 'telling' us something.

However , as I constantly learn more about autism, I look back in shame now as before I had an autistic child,mi was under the impression that autism was a made up term to allow kids an excuse to be naughty behaved etc...how ridiculous.

Far more education on conditions is needed, another one is Dementia...sad to say a very interesting subject, I did watch a couple of programmes on this subject and found it most fascinating.

And old neighbour of mine from a few years back has dementia, she never recognised me, such a friendly and nice woman, she looks lost now, a shell of what she was, yet off she went driving..I'm not too sure they should be driving tbh, but what a poor shame on that woman,

I just wished more folk knew that conditions like autism are for real , then perhaps we would have less victims being picked on because of their condition.

I've always said it and Sassy had it as her avatar....

Sometimes we must place ourselves in the shoes of another to understand someone's situation.

I do that when I see someone less fortunate than me.

Back to top Go down

Non education and ignorance of.... Empty Re: Non education and ignorance of....

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Agreed JD, I think when someone looks fit and well its difficult for people to understand that they are not. And lets face it, some don't want to understand, they think that it will never happen to them or theirs, that they are somehow immune and when they see someone like it, it frightens them, and they don't want to acknowledge it. Its the same with people that think you can get over disease by being positive. You can make life feel better for yourself by being positive, but the disease will either be cured by medication or it won't. People hate the thought of being vunerable and like to think if it happened to them they could conquer it, stay in control. Its too scarey to think that there are things in life beyond your control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 am

Sassy wrote:Agreed JD, I think when someone looks fit and well its difficult for people to understand that they are not.   And lets face it, some don't want to understand, they think that it will never happen to them or theirs, that they are somehow immune and when they see someone like it, it frightens them, and they don't want to acknowledge it.   Its the same with people that think you can get over disease by being positive.   You can make life feel better for yourself by being positive, but the disease will either be cured by medication or it won't.    People hate the thought of being vunerable and like to think if it happened to them they could conquer it, stay in control.  Its too scarey to think that there are things in life beyond your control.

...a clear, honest and very precise post Sassy, I fully agree with all you said here.Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 am

Sassy wrote:Agreed JD, I think when someone looks fit and well its difficult for people to understand that they are not.   And lets face it, some don't want to understand, they think that it will never happen to them or theirs, that they are somehow immune and when they see someone like it, it frightens them, and they don't want to acknowledge it.   Its the same with people that think you can get over disease by being positive.   You can make life feel better for yourself by being positive, but the disease will either be cured by medication or it won't.    People hate the thought of being vunerable and like to think if it happened to them they could conquer it, stay in control.  Its too scarey to think that there are things in life beyond your control.

....Perhaps one day there might be a computer type system, where they put you into some kind of body suit and then you type in an illness and it mimics the symptoms of that illness....As an education..The doubters could try that suit out for a day...My guess is that they wouldn't be able to last more that an hour or so....If even that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:08 am

Catman wrote:

....Perhaps one day there might be a computer type system, where they put you into some kind of body suit and then you type in an illness and it mimics the symptoms of that illness....As an education..The doubters could try that suit out for a day...My guess is that they wouldn't be able to last more that an hour or so....If even that.

...your on the money on this one Phil Smile ...

Maybe that's what it need to take before we all have a better understanding of the many varying ways in which folk suffer daily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:10 am

Well night both, C U tomorrow, only a week to Christmas, groan!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:10 am

Joy Division wrote:
Catman wrote:

...your on the money on this one Phil Smile...

Maybe that's what it need to take before we all have a better understanding of the many varying ways in which folk suffer daily.

I'm very sure that they already have the technology to be able to demonstrate the facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:12 am

Sassy wrote:Well night both, C U tomorrow, only a week to Christmas, groan!

Night Sass

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:16 am

Sassy wrote:Well night both, C U tomorrow, only a week to Christmas, groan!

Night sassy , see ya tomorrow x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:16 am

Catman wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

...your on the money on this one Phil Smile...

I'm very sure that they already have the technology to be able to demonstrate the facts.

..what, a sledgehammer to the spine and hammers to the legs? Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 am

Joy Division wrote:
Catman wrote:

..what, a sledgehammer to the spine and hammers to the legs? Laughing 

I did have a think and then i thought that i hope that they never develop anything like that because it would be a bloody torture machine.  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 pm

I'll be honest and put my view on this down - i'm sure some of you know my views, but for those who don't....

...I think it's all bollocks.

Dyslexia, autism, the lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Yea, well we know the level of your ignorance Andy, compounded by the fact you think it is something to boast about. Bit of a throw back really aren't you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Sassy wrote:Yea, well we know the level of your ignorance Andy, compounded by the fact you think it is something to boast about.   Bit of a throw back really aren't you?

I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks those things sassy.

I'm entitled to believe it and I do not believe i'm ignorant. I'm observant, read lots, listen, and take everything in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:20 pm

No Andy, if you think autism doesn't exist you are just pig ignorant, as is anyone who is stupid enough to think the same. I hope that you never have a grandchild with it, because if you then continue saying it doesn't exist your son/daughter, parent of the child, will knock your head of your shoulders as you denigrate the problems they will have helping the child and coping.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:04 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:I'll be honest and put my view on this down - i'm sure some of you know my views, but for those who don't....

I think some of the latest 'syndromes' have been exploited, dyslexia, ADHD etc, but not autism Andy! That's very real. Not that I know much about it tbh but I've seen articles about some children with autism who are incredibly gifted in other ways. Scientists are making great discoveries lately about the way the brain's wired. Maybe they'll discover more about this very soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:35 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Sassy wrote:Yea, well we know the level of your ignorance Andy, compounded by the fact you think it is something to boast about.   Bit of a throw back really aren't you?

I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks those things sassy.

I'm entitled to believe it and I do not believe i'm ignorant.  I'm observant, read lots, listen, and take everything in.

Well your really not taking enough in on the subject of autism Andy, a three year old baron does not have logic to ' feign autism', Sassy and Veritas are absolutely correct, maybe you should read up on autism Andy, it's a huge spectrum...

And I'm my personal opinion the three in one jab complete with mercury has contributed greatly towards autism in many cases.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Brain Scans Show Dyslexics Read Better with Alternative Strategies
Dyslexia.com Home Page
By Abigail Marshall; ©️ 2003 DDAI.

Scientists studying the brain have found that dyslexic adults who become capable readers use different neural pathways than nondyslexics. This research shows that there are two independent systems for reading: one that is typical for the majority of readers, and another that is more effective for the dyslexic thinker.
NIMH Study of Dyslexic Adults

Researchers Judith Rumsey and Barry Horwitz at the National Institute of Mental Health used positron emission tomography (PET) to compare regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) among dyslexic and nondyslexic men. The dyslexic subjects had childhood histories of dyslexia and continued to show some symptoms related to reading, but their overall reading ability varied. For some word recognition and comprehension tasks, the dyslexic men scored as well as or better than controls.

Research correlating brain activity with reading ability showed an intriguing inverse relationship between reading ability and cerebral blood flow patterns. For nondyslexic controls, stronger activation of left hemispheric reading systems, including the left angular gyrus, corresponded to better reading skill. For dyslexic subjects, the opposite was true: the stronger the left-hemispheric pattern, the poorer the reader. In contrast, increased reading skill for dyslexics was correlated with greater reliance on the right hemispheric systems.

The researchers explained:

"The rCBF–reading test correlations identified a region in/near the left angular gyrus as significantly related to level of reading skill within both groups. These correlations were uniformly positive for the control group and uniformly negative for the dyslexic group, indicating diametrically opposed relationships in the two groups....within the control group higher rCBF was associated with better reading skill and that within the dyslexic group higher rCBF was associated with worse reading skill, or more severe dyslexia."

The researchers observed a similar pattern in the right hemisphere, in an area near the right angular gyrus. In the right brain area, the dyslexic men had higher activation levels than controls during the word reading tasks, which correlated positively to improved reading ability. For the nondyslexic control group, such activation pattern was negatively correlated to reading ability.
Comparison of Reading Outcomes among children followed since kindergarten

A team of researchers led by Sally Shaywitz at Yale University has confirmed that dyslexic individuals who become good readers have a different pattern of brain use than either nondyslexic readers, or dyslexics who still read poorly. The researchers used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to evaluate brain activity among 20-year-old dyslexic men and women selected from a group that had been followed since kindergarten. All the dyslexic subjects had a history of severe reading impairment in early childhood. However, while some of the students continued to struggle with reading throughout their school years ("persistently poor readers"), others improved by their high school years, becoming accurate readers with strong comprehension skills ("accuracy improved readers").

Dyslexic subjects from both groups as well as non-dyslexic control subjects were asked to perform reading tasks involving phonological processing (non-word rhyming test) and ascertaining meaning (semantic category test). During the non-word rhyming test ["Do leat and jete rhyme?], both dyslexic groups showed less activation of the left posterior and temporal areas of the brain as compared to the control group. However, the dyslexics who were improved readers also had greater activation of right temporal areas and both right and left frontal areas.

For the semantic category test ["Are corn and rice in the same category?"] the persistently poor readers showed brain activity very similar to the nondyslexic control group, despite the fact that their reading performance was significantly impaired. Like the control group, the persistently poor readers activate left posterior and temporal systems. In contrast, the improved dyslexic readers bypassed this area entirely.

This research suggests that for dyslexic readers, the left brain areas associated with phonetic decoding are ineffective. While a non-dyslexic reader finds such pathways an efficient route to reading, the dyslexic reader essentially becomes entangled in a neural traffic jam. In contrast, dyslexics who bypass these mental pathways, relying more on areas of the brain involved in nonverbal thought and in analytic thought, are able to become capable readers.
Listen to this page with proReader Use cursor to select text to read.
Impact of Findings for Education

These brain imaging studies show that teaching methods that may work well for a large majority of schoolchildren may be counterproductive when used with dyslexic children. Teaching methods based on intensive or systematic drill in phonemic awareness or phonetic decoding strategies may actually be harmful to dyslexic children. Such teaching might simply emphasize reliance on mental strategies that are as likely to diminish reading ability for dyslexic children as they are to improve it, increasing both the frustration and impairment level of dyslexic students.
Davis Theory and Methods

Davis Learning Strategies®️ and Davis Dyslexia Correction®️ emphasize a creative, meaning-based strategy for acquisition of basic reading skills. Children (and adults) use clay to model the concepts that are associated with word meanings at the same time as modeling the letters of each word in clay. At the primary level, these methods provide a route to learning to read that seems easier for students with dyslexic tendencies than traditional instruction. Among older dyslexic children and adults, these methods routinely lead to very rapid progress in reading ability.

Scientists know from other studies that the right brain hemisphere is where the mind connects written words to their meanings, and that it is where creative and imaginative thought takes place. Modeling words in clay can help build the mental pathways that brain scan evidence shows to be crucial for reading development among dyslexic students.
References:

Horwitz B, Rumsey JM, Donahue BC (1998), Functional connectivity of the angular gyrus and dyslexia. Neurobiology: 95: 8939-8944. [Abstract]
Rumsey, JM, Horwitz, B, et al (1999): A functional lesion in developmental dyslexia: left angular gyral blood flow predicts severity. Brain and Language, 70: 187-204. [Abstract]
Shaywitz SE, Shaywitz BA, Fulbright R, et al (2003). Neural Systems for Compensation and Persistence: Young Adult Outcome of Childhood Reading Disability. Biological Psychiatry 54:25-33. [Abstract]

Updates — Recent Research

Hoeft F, McCandliss BD, Black JM, et al (2010). Neural systems predicting long-term outcome in dyslexia. PNAS, Published online before print December 20, 2010, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1008950108. [Abstract]
Leonard CM, Eckert MA (2008). Assymetry and Dyslexia. Dev Neuropsychol, 33(6): 663-681, doi: 10.1080/87565640802418597. [Abstract]
Welcome SE, Leonard CM, Chiarello C (2010). Alternate reading strategies and variable asymmetry of the planum temporale in adult resilient readers. Brain and Language, 113: 73-83. [Abstract]
Welcome SE, Chiarello C, Thompson PM, Sowell ER (2011).Reading Skill is Related to Individual Differences in Brain Structure in College Students. Human Brain Mapping 32 Cool:1194–1205. doi: 10.1002/hbm.21101. [Abstract]

See also:

Can Reading Problems from Dyslexia be Prevented?, by Sharon Pfeiffer. The Dyslexic Reader (1994-1995).

Cite as:
Marshall, A. (2003). Brain Scans Show Dyslexics Read Better with Alternative Strategies. Retrieved December 18, 2013 from Dyslexia, the Gift. URL: http://www.dyslexia.com/science/different_pathways.htm

Read more: http://www.dyslexia.com/science/different_pathways.htm#ixzz2nr0YJeqA

But According to Andy, and he's obviously the expert, it doesn't exist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 pm

I knew someone who managed to bluff that their kid had autism - made a packet out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Oh right, so because you knew some wanker all kids with autism and dyslexia are putting it on.   All those parents who are struggling to help their kids, and all those kids suffering because of it count for nothing in your head.   Makes perfect sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:26 am

Sassy wrote:Oh right, so because you knew some wanker all kids with autism and dyslexia are putting it on.   All those parents who are struggling to help their kids, and all those kids suffering because of it count for nothing in your head.   Makes perfect sense.

No, that was to emphasise the benefits which are gained.

I think all parents who have children with behaviour problems feel better if it has a medical term such as ADHD, dyslexia etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 am

What behaviour problems do dyslexics have Andy? They have a problem that is they are taught one way, as the scans have shown, they can't learn something, if they are taught another, as the scans have shown, they can. Now, how is that a behaviour problem?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Autism involves a variety of developmental delays, so keeping a close eye on when—or if—your child is hitting the key social, emotional, and cognitive milestones is an effective way to spot the problem early on. While developmental delays don’t automatically point to autism, they may indicate a heightened risk.

you say you know someone who managed to bluff there kid had autism
yet surely the child would have to do the bluffing, not the parent and its not easy for a child to bluff a doctor especially at the age that the parent would become concerned of the kid development , the kid would not only have to keep up the pretence at school but everywhere

ps
i am dislexic and i also have severe dyscalculia and i don`t have ant behavioural problems never have had
i am considered a polite and well balanced individual unlike some

Anthony Andrews – Actor Kirsty Alsopp – TV presenter Damon Albarn – Singer / Song writer Muhammad Ali – Former Boxer Fred Astaire – Actor David Bailey – Photographer

Louis Barnett- Chocolatier and Entrepreneur Michael Barrymore – TV personality Orlando Bloom – Actor Marlon Brando – Actor Richard Branson – Entrepreneur
Sarah Brightman – Actor and singer Alexander Graham Bell – Inventor Darcey Bussell – Ballet dancer Harry Belafonte – Actor / Singer George Burns – Entertainer

Gary Chapman – Film script writer Cher – Singer Agatha Christie – Writer argi Clarke – TV presenter and actor Steven J Connell – TV writer and author Chuck Close – Artist Brian Conley – Comedian and actor Tom Cruise – Actor

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/about-dyslexia/famous-dyslexics.html

its a big list

All making it up ?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Welcome, codemaster! Glad to see the site is cooperating with you now :D
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Welcome, codemaster! Glad to see the site is cooperating with you now :D
yes thanks ben
All my end i am afraid  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:I'll be honest and put my view on this down - i'm sure some of you know my views, but for those who don't....

I think pretty much the same about your opinions, while we're being upfront about it ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:00 pm

I have had these "disablitys" al my life and it wasn`t till i was in my 30`s that i was diagnosed or classified with the conditions
it means you have to work five times harder to get anywhere but the way it affects people varies

for example

i can and do read very well
but write and spell badly

i don`t know my times table and can`t keep 4 separate numbers in my head to do anything meaning full
i can only multiply and add and subtract whole numbers and then with difficulty however over my 51 years i have strategy's and tricks to help me compensate he biggest trick is being honest about it to people

funny thing is all that said i can write computer code and script
I understand and can work out scientific formula's a lot easier than i can multiply or divide
I think its because its more abstract

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:13 pm

codemaster wrote:I have had these "disablitys" al my life and it wasn`t till i was in my 30`s that i was diagnosed or classified with the conditions
it means you have to work five times harder to get anywhere but the way it affects people varies

for example

i don`t know my times table and can`t keep 4 separate numbers in my head to do anything meaning full
i can only multiply and add and subtract whole numbers and then with difficulty however over my 51 years i have strategy's and tricks to help me compensate he biggest trick is being honest about it to people

I understand and can work out scientific formula's a lot easier than i can multiply or divide  

Keith?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:10 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

I think pretty much the same about your opinions, while we're being upfront about it ...

Not a problem Ben.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:13 am

codemaster wrote:I have had these "disablitys" al my life and it wasn`t till i was in my 30`s that i was diagnosed or classified with the conditions

for example

I think it's because you didn't listen at school but are interested in computers.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:21 am

@big Andy
I think the problem is...

Autism does exist but it is over diagnosed, meaning there are many case that are very minor where they could just be called personality flaws but they get diagnosed and given treatment normally for the profit of big pharma and the medical profession.

So yes there are probably too many cases like the woman you knew BUT there definitely are real cases.

Dyslexia I have actually never heard any one dispute that why do u think it is bollocks?

I think ADHD is also definitely over diagnosed, and quite a bit can be attributed to personality and parenting. Again the Profits that are made of diagnosing a kid mean big pharma have pushed for the definitions to become more and more broad so they can sell more pills.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down