NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said

4 posters

Go down

Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said Empty Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Theresa May has said high immigration overwhelms public services, but evidence shows immigrants can actually help the NHS.
The Home Secretary told her party's conference that immigrants can make it "difficult for schools and hospitals and core infrastructure like housing and transport to cope". But increases in the number of immigrants typically shorten waiting times in their areas, despite public perception that they are why the health service is overburdened, according to a recent paper published by Oxford University's Blavatnik School of Government. The research measured immigration using the Labour Force Survey in more than 100 areas in England and found, on average, a 10% increase in the number of immigrants shortened the waiting time for outpatient referrals by nine days.  The paper says this is due to the "healthy immigrant effect" - they are more likely than British-born people to be well and be working and, by extension, paying taxes. More people also means more money is allocated to local services.

"Your population increases, so you get more funding but you get healthier people in your area," Carlos Vargas-Silva, one of the paper's authors, told The Huffington Post UK. "More resources, healthier people." He added the impact immigrants had on services on and infrastructure was defined by how quickly the government reacts to their arrival and invests rather than, as Mrs May suggested, the numbers of immigrants there. "The important thing is for the local area to get the resources quickly," he said. "It's how fast can the government react to changes in population size. If that happens relatively quickly, then there's no impact or there could be a positive impact. You're getting healthier people into the region, then the region gets money because the population increases but waiting times overall decrease as a result." The research found that, between 2004 and 2007, there was an increase waiting times in deprived areas outside London, thanks in part to the arrival of many eastern European immigrants. But the increase "disappeared" by 2007 because of more resources were invested to cope with the population increase, Prof Vargas-Silva said.

He added: "[The level of investment] will determine whether you have a negative effect or not... immigrants are not necessarily a burden, it's just how quickly can the government respond and assign resources and then the affect in the medium term can be positive."
When asked which part of the paper he had found the most surprising, Prof Vargas-Silva said it was the fact that the number of immigrants did not appear to have any affect on A&E waiting times. He said: "If you look on the news, you will see a lot of stories about migrants increasing waiting times... So it blames migrants. We didn't find any impact. "You have more migrants, there's more use but there's also money and more resources, so the two things go together." He added that, as an economist, he could not comment on Mrs May's comments about "social cohesion". When Theresa May spoke at the Conservative Party Conference, she said: "Because when immigration is too high, when the pace of change is too fast, it's impossible to build a cohesive society. It's difficult for schools and hospitals and core infrastructure like housing and transport to cope."

Rob McNeil, a spokesman for immigrant analysts Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, said: “The concept of ‘social cohesion’ is vague, at best, and there is no consensus on how to measure it.  "So it is very hard to prove or disprove a claim that it has been affected by migration – or indeed any other factor. This isn’t to say that migration has no effects on social cohesion, but rather that the impact depends on what you are looking at." Lib Dem leader Tim Farron said Mrs May's comments were whipping up "fear and mistrust".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/06/nhs-waiting-times-immigration_n_8249724.html?1444129849&utm_hp_ref=uk

lol I bet this will go down well with some posters.

Back to top Go down

Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said Empty Re: Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Huff and puff guff...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said Empty Re: Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:09 pm

The effects of immigration on jobs and work

The effects of immigration on economic outcomes for native workers have been widely investigated. At the same time, little is known about the effects of immigration on native job quality and working conditions.
Several studies document that working late at night or not taking breaks over the weekend is associated with negative health outcomes, less time spent with family and friends, less marital stability, and negative effects on children's well being. In particular, working nonstandard hours has been shown to be associated with negative health outcomes including chronic fatigue, a higher probability of accidents, anxiety, depression, hypertension, obesity, ischemic heart disease, and breast cancer.
This evidence suggests that we cannot neglect nonwage effects when analyzing the overall impact of immigration on the native labor market.
In previous work using Italian data, I showed that immigration is associated with a lower probability of employed natives working non‐standard shifts. I am currently working on two projects analyzing similar effects on working condition and health in the US and Germany.

• In “Immigration and Schedules: Theory and Evidence” (joint with Timothy N. Bond, Purdue University) we investigate whether an increased presence of immigrants in US local labor markets affects the allocation of working schedules across workers. We provide a theoretical model to analyze the effects of immigration on working shifts and test its prediction using US data.
  • In “Immigration and Health: Evidence from the German Socio-Economic Panel” (joint with Fabrizio Mazzonna, University of Lugano), we discuss whether and why immigrants in Germany are more likely to sort in jobs characterized by worse working conditions and then investigates how this job sorting affects immigrants’ and natives’ health. The ultimate goal of the paper is to attempt a more comprehensive analysis of the effects of immigration on the overall welfare of natives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:11 pm

The effects of immigration on NHS waiting time
BSG-WP-2015/005
This BSG Working Paper brings fresh evidence to the debate about the impacts of immigration on Britain’s National Health Service. Using immigration data from 141 local authorities in England merged with administrative information drawn from the Hospital Episode Statistics (which processes over 125 million admitted patient, outpatient and accident and emergency records each year) the authors are able to draw direct and evidence-based correlations between immigration figures and NHS waiting times.

The analysis of their data shows that immigration actually reduced waiting times for outpatient referrals. On average, a 10 percentage point increase in the share of migrants living in a local authority would reduce waiting times by 9 days. The authors find no evidence that immigration affects waiting times in A&E and in elective care. Their research does reveal, however, that the effects can be very different in deprived areas: they observed that native internal migration (often triggered by immigration inflows) does increase NHS waiting times.

The authors provide a full analysis of the data and likely explanation factors for their findings in the Working Paper. They suggest their findings are likely driven by two key factors. First, migrants tend to be young and healthy upon arrival ("healthy immigrant effect") and likely to have a smaller impact on the demand for NHS services. Second, the arrival of immigrants increases the likelihood of natives moving and accessing health services in a different local authority. Thus, the effects of immigration on the demand for health care services are dispersed throughout the country (via internal migration).

http://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/research/working-paper-series/working-paper-005

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Complete bullshit!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Complete bullshit!

Immigrants 'Help NHS Waiting Times Go Down', Report Shows, Despite What Theresa May Just Said 2686688521

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Tommy why do even give this twat the time of day , he's just a wind up moron Basketball

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:54 pm

I'd like to ensure Ben and veya, read this bit and then tell me how it couldn't fail to make people upset:

[snipped]The Home Secretary told her party's conference that immigrants can make it "difficult for schools and hospitals and core infrastructure like housing and transport to cope"[snipped]
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:01 pm

This is the point Eddie, when Politicians say this is bound to create anger, but as seen is she correct to say this?
The study does make some very interesting points

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Cuchulain wrote:This is the point Eddie, when Politicians say this is bound to create anger, but as seen is she correct to say this?

Yes it does

But then you can never trust a politician didge lol
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:08 pm

eddie wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:This is the point Eddie, when Politicians say this is bound to create anger, but as seen is she correct to say this?

Yes it does

But then you can never trust a politician didge lol

Not going to disagree with that.....lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Oxford University's Blavatnik School of Government. The research measured immigration using the Labour Force Survey in more than 100 areas in England and found, on average, a 10% increase in the number of immigrants shortened the waiting time for outpatient referrals by nine days.

hardly evidence is it though. Areas?? do they mean towns? I presume so but there are over 100 towns in England just going through A&B never mind the rest of the alphabet

It does not say which specific areas, nor how many people surveyed.

I think if you did an overall estimate over the whole country it may well read differently

It certainly would if you did it in built up areas with high population and local health care almost impossible to get appointments in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Difficult to say Gelico
Though I would say based on the points raised it would make sense.
The fact is as I keep saying and again not knocking, more people are living longer and this group more than any are vunerable to illness. So of course waiting times are going to go up. I also reckon that things like stress/depression related problems may have also impacted on Hospital waiting times,, also cuts, or poor money management of hospitals.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Cuchulain wrote:Difficult to say Gelico
The fact is as I keep saying and again not knocking, more people are living longer and this group more than any are vunerable to illness. So of course waiting times are going to go up. I also reckon that things like stress/depression related problems may have also impacted on Hospital waiting times,, also cuts, or poor money management of hospitals.

Didge, my brother, due to ill-health, left his job at the RBS and got a part-time job within the NHS

Anyway, his job was to literally, keep doctors and nurses on a time schedule! He worked in a&e and the department had a four hour time slot for every patient.
He had to actually go up to busy and stressed doctors and say "you're nearing the red" meaning the four hours for that patient was nearly up.

I asked him, did he think this was giving patients a better service? He said no, no, no!
He said doctors and nurses were more stressed knowing they were on a "timer" as it were; it was simply about government figures.

He refused to rush any doctor that was saving a life - he said they were told to, but he said how could you go into a road accident scene, where a doctor was saving a life and point to your watch in a stern manner??
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:36 pm

eddie wrote:

Didge, my brother, due to ill-health, left his job at the RBS and got a part-time job within the NHS

Anyway, his job was to literally, keep doctors and nurses on a time schedule! He worked in a&e and the department had a four hour time slot for every patient.
He had to actually go up to busy and stressed doctors and say "you're nearing the red" meaning the four hours for that patient was nearly up.

I asked him, did he think this was giving patients a better service? He said no, no, no!
He said doctors and nurses were more stressed knowing they were on a "timer" as it were; it was simply about government figures.

He refused to rush any doctor that was saving a life - he said they were told to, but he said how could you go into a road accident scene, where a doctor was saving a life and point to your watch in a stern manner??

I understand Eddie, I myself worked 2 years with the NHS and there is many factors creating the problems of which some of which I listed, but this problem is only going to get worse in the future. As I have said , by 2050 a quater of the population is going to be over 65, which is going to place more people at risk of complications, again which is no fault of their own. This is why I keep saying the balance of age groups needs to be addressed or there will be far more critical problems in the future. Having figures is wrong and like you say just is making added stress to medical staff which could then see more become ill themselves further creating an even greater burden on the rest of the medical staff. Many will just burn out under the stress, hence why some radical changes need to be made and far more money given to the NHS. I for one would be happy to pay more if it was going to the NHS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Huff and puff guff...

ill huff and ill puff and ill blow your facts down

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm

you have to forgive walter

he doesnt do thinking

he doesnt seem to understand that if you have an NHS that can provide 100 patients with care and assistance within 1 hour, and then you pile 10,000 extra immigrants on the same service, its not going to cope and it sure as hell wont be the fault of the 100 patients paying their NI each month

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:56 pm

As usual the dalek has no repsonse but does what Sassy does and try to deligitimise the poster, one a left wing extremist, the other, a far right extremist, both using the same poor methods.
Quell surprise.

Catch you all later

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:59 pm

you dont need deligitimizing walter

no one takes you seriously to begin with

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:11 pm

That's what you do to everyone who has an opinion you don't like dodge!!!

Whereas, you have done it all to yourself!!!

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, it's basic math, actually. 80 percent of resources are consumed by 20 percent of patients in most scenarios, but this isn't true for immigrant populations -- most sickly people don't (perhaps can't) uproot their lives and move to a new country.

Migrant workers are, on average, slightly younger than UK-born workers. Nearly 38% of foreign-born workers were aged between 25 and 35 years old in 2013, while 25% of UK-born workers were in that age group.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/characteristics-and-outcomes-migrants-uk-labour-market

Youth tends to correlate with health, especially health care needs. You saw the argument in the U.S. that younger people shouldn't be required to own health insurance policies because they need it so infrequently.

If you have a town of 1,000 and you add 200 immigrants, you're lowering the percent of people using services slightly while increasing the number of people paying into it. That means more resources for fewer patients, and a health service that takes care of people faster (and better).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
eddie wrote:

I understand Eddie, I myself worked 2 years with the NHS and there is many factors creating the problems of which some of which I listed, but this problem is only going to get worse in the future. As I have said , by 2050 a quater of the population is going to be over 65, which is going to place more people at risk of complications, again which is no fault of their own. This is why I keep saying the balance of age groups needs to be addressed or there will be far more critical problems in the future. Having figures is wrong and like you say just is making added stress to medical staff which could then see more become ill themselves further creating an even greater burden on the rest of the medical staff. Many will just burn out under the stress, hence why some radical changes need to be made and far more money given to the NHS. I for one would be happy to pay more if it was going to the NHS.

Yes I would too. I'd be happy to pay extra in our taxes if I knew, for sure, it was going directly into the NHS and not be swallowed up by paperwork and crap.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Labour signing us up to pay £300 billion for £50 billion worth of hospitals won't help...

But what is really needed is spending less in other areas.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Well, it's basic math, actually. 80 percent of resources are consumed by 20 percent of patients in most scenarios, but this isn't true for immigrant populations -- most sickly people don't (perhaps can't) uproot their lives and move to a new country.

Migrant workers are, on average, slightly younger than UK-born workers. Nearly 38% of foreign-born workers were aged between 25 and 35 years old in 2013, while 25% of UK-born workers were in that age group.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/characteristics-and-outcomes-migrants-uk-labour-market

Youth tends to correlate with health, especially health care needs. You saw the argument in the U.S. that younger people shouldn't be required to own health insurance policies because they need it so infrequently.

If you have a town of 1,000 and you add 200 immigrants, you're lowering the percent of people using services slightly while increasing the number of people paying into it. That means more resources for fewer patients, and a health service that takes care of people faster (and better).

thats your idea of maths??

"most sickly people don't (perhaps can't) uproot their lives and move to a new country"

I guess american maths teaches that 2+2=5??

i never bought into the whole idea of how insular and sheltered americans are, and how most of you never travel beyond american borders, but you and quill are opening my eyes to how naive you lot are to current world events.

Milking of the health service: NHS pays £200k bill for Nigerian health tourist's five babies and provides free IVF for single mother, 39

The second case relates to a Nigerian who flew to Britain purely to give birth to quintuplets conceived in Africa after she swallowed a course of high-dose fertility tablets.

Her bill to the taxpayer is already £200,000 and she is fighting Home Office moves to return her to her home country.

MPs and campaigners say an apparent fertility free-for-all is unacceptable at a time when the NHS is under unprecedented financial pressure.

Hospitals are already slashing their budgets amid clear signs that waiting times are rising, optional treatments are being cut back and some members of staff face redundancy.

Emma Boon, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: ‘With such huge pressures in the NHS budget, taxpayers’ money should be going towards front-line healthcare, lifesaving treatments and helping sick people get better

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2010934/Milking-health-service-NHS-pays-200k-Nigerian-health-tourists-babies-provides-free-IVF-single-mother-39.html#ixzz3noNf6pR9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Well, it's basic math, actually. 80 percent of resources are consumed by 20 percent of patients in most scenarios, but this isn't true for immigrant populations -- most sickly people don't (perhaps can't) uproot their lives and move to a new country.

"most sickly people don't (perhaps can't) uproot their lives and move to a new country"

i never bought into the whole idea of how insular and sheltered americans are, and how most of you never travel beyond american borders, but you and quill are opening my eyes to how naive you lot are to current world events.

Milking of the health service: NHS pays £200k bill for Nigerian health tourist's five babies and provides free IVF for single mother, 39

The second case relates to a Nigerian who flew to Britain purely to give birth to quintuplets conceived in Africa after she swallowed a course of high-dose fertility tablets.

Her bill to the taxpayer is already £200,000 and she is fighting Home Office moves to return her to her home country.

MPs and campaigners say an apparent fertility free-for-all is unacceptable at a time when the NHS is under unprecedented financial pressure.

Hospitals are already slashing their budgets amid clear signs that waiting times are rising, optional treatments are being cut back and some members of staff face redundancy.

Emma Boon, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: ‘With such huge pressures in the NHS budget, taxpayers’ money should be going towards front-line healthcare, lifesaving treatments and helping sick people get better

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2010934/Milking-health-service-NHS-pays-200k-Nigerian-health-tourists-babies-provides-free-IVF-single-mother-39.html#ixzz3noNf6pR9

I read that story a while back, and to be fair, it was the hospital who didn't ask her for reimbursement. They just didn't bother to do so. They should be obliged to do so IMO.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 pm

They have no intention of paying... that's the point!

We have to set up a requirement that anyone wanting to travel to here must have taken out health insurance before being allowed entry.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

I read that story a while back, and to be fair, it was the hospital who didn't ask her for reimbursement. They just didn't bother to do so. They should be obliged to do so IMO.

the point is that its not only the sick lame and lazy that drain the NHS of money, its every zaheel, ishmael and muhhamad.

the NHS is bleeding out becasue teh people paying in are outnumbered by those taking out

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

the point is that its not only the sick lame and lazy that drain the NHS of money, its every zaheel, ishmael and muhhamad.

the NHS is bleeding out becasue teh people paying in are outnumbered by those taking out

Yes, but it would have been OK if the hospital had been reimbursed.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

but the NHS has no means by which it can claim back reimbursement, which is why it is so easy to abuse and why it is losing money , money which is not being spent on the resources to support those patients who pay into it

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:30 pm

And this woman would have coughed up £200,000 if asked...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

but the NHS has no means by which it can claim back reimbursement, which is why it is so easy to abuse and why it is losing money , money which is not being spent on the resources to support those patients who pay into it  

Is there no system for reimbursement set up?

They could always knock the money off foreign aid for Nigeria and claw it back that way. They could also stop pregnant women coming into this country.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

They could always knock the money off foreign aid for Nigeria and claw it back that way. They could also stop pregnant women coming into this country.

there are many things the CAN do and even more things that they WONT do

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:56 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

there are many things the CAN do and even more things that they WONT do

Exactly. As long as nobody does anything about it, people will take the piss.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 pm

They sadly do not have the ability to even understand the NHS.
Some do like Eddie, but sadly they look again to blame others.
So many times in Britains history has people been scapegoated for any problem where it is based off a self righteous belief they are better.,
Well take a good look at some of the idiots debating on here, they have little claim to anything as being righteous. Negativity, fueld by fear and hate, hardly anything most people would teach to as a model cirizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:40 pm

You have false positives based on lies and spin!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down