NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life...

4 posters

Go down

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life... Empty Let children play, let them learn the real things in life...

Post by eddie Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life... Image25
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life... Empty Re: Let children play, let them learn the real things in life...

Post by eddie Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life... Image26
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life... Empty Re: Let children play, let them learn the real things in life...

Post by eddie Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 pm

This is an issue I came across a lot working in education and also as a mother.

Pushy parenting. The worry that your child isn't a genius, isn't reading,writing,doing long multiplication,tying their shoes, reading Shakespeare....all by the age of five!

Should we go back to basic skills and just let children, be children?
Or has the world become too competitive and we need our offspring to be the cleverest, the biggest and the best?

Montessori nurseries are becoming popular for little toddlers - instead of having the joy of knocking a tower down with your mates - they want you to build only (knocking down not permitted).

What do we think?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:35 pm

the world has become too competitive
it is no longer enough to be the best in the village or the best in the state, even the best in the nation may not be competitive on the world stage.
Not only in the world population higher then ever before but globalization means we are  competing with people all over the world.

it is not about being the cleverest, but just to be classed as clever now normally means you will be the cleverest in the village. (same with all the high income traits)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 pm

eddie wrote:This is an issue I came across a lot working in education and also as a mother.

Pushy parenting. The worry that your child isn't a genius, isn't reading,writing,doing long multiplication,tying their shoes, reading Shakespeare....all by the age of five!

Or has the world become too competitive and we need our offspring to be the cleverest, the biggest and the best?

Montessori nurseries are becoming popular for little toddlers - instead of having the joy of knocking a tower down with your mates - they want you to build only (knocking down not permitted).

What do we think?

Absolutely with you.  You learn more by doing something wrong and working out how to put it right yourself than you ever do from learning parrot fashion how to do something.  In fact, we have bred a nation of sheep who can't think for themselves, can't work out things for themselves, just follow orders and learn what they are told.  I'm so pleased I grew up in a time when we would pack a picnic and sod off for the day, or go fishing, or build a den etc and in school we were encouraged to explore subjects and learn for learnings sake, not because of 'stats' etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:21 am

eddie wrote:This is an issue I came across a lot working in education and also as a mother.

well all things being equal...a child SHOULD be able to read by five....should be able to write by five, tie their shoes by five....

I think long multiplication may be a bit advanced and same with shakespear.....

but my eldest could do basic algebra by 7 and calculus by 9.....

and I am in despair with how they teach maths today....strewth...talk about making an easy thing complicated......

my grandsons school is very cross with me.....becasue I am teaching him the PROPER way to do subtractions and teaching him whats known as "number bonds" (in reality just learning by rote that 9-1 is 8 etc...and learning times tables by rote) next I will teach him how to calculate square roots in his head by the "nearest approximation method"....all that is required is to keep 3 numbers in your head at once and at the same time multiply the last one of them by itself...easy peasy...once you get some practice.....

What do we think?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Vic I teach, and taught my children at home.
But I'm wondering....do they need it! Should I just be letting them play at 3 and 4 years old?

I teach through playing ie I-spy and choosing objects beginning the the sound of the letter etc, but am I being anal by thinking "Oh is my daughter where my son was at this age?"

I'm sure she is. But my concern is ME. Am I being too worried or should I be more worried?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:34 pm

I liked getting gold stars at school, and I liked learning maths and stuff like that. I did it by myself a lot of the time, and also learning how to spell - I usually won spelling tests.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm

eddie wrote:Vic I teach, and taught my children at home.
But I'm wondering....do they need it! Should I just be letting them play at 3 and 4 years old?

I teach through playing  ie I-spy and choosing objects beginning the the sound of the letter etc, but am I being anal by thinking "Oh is my daughter where my son was at this age?"

I'm sure she is. But my concern is ME. Am I being too worried or should I be more worried?

i think if, given they have had the teaching, a child cant read by 5 then you should be wondering why?

similarly with tying shoe laces and getting dressed

similarly with writing.......

christ on a bike my grand sons school has children in reception year that cant wipe their own ass properly.....

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:31 pm

I've worked in a school, mainly reception (4) to year 2 (age 7)

Some children didn't even know how to write their name or even simple sums.

Then again, in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland, they don't school till seven years of age and are way ahead of us in their educational learning.

I read recently, some five year olds are going to school in nappies!!!! Shame on the parents, is all I can say.
They're too lazy to toilet-train their children so expect schools to do it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:51 pm

eddie wrote:I've worked in a school, mainly reception (4) to year 2 (age 7)

Some children didn't even know how to write their name or even simple sums.

Then again, in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland, they don't school till seven years of age and are way ahead of us in their educational learning.

I read recently, some five year olds are going to school in nappies!!!! Shame on the parents, is all I can say.
They're too lazy to toilet-train their children so expect schools to do it.

Totally ludicrous and about the nappies.  That being said, I think trying to fit children into boxes with times that they are supposed to do things is silly.  For example, my eldest grandson was born ambidextrous, with absolutely no preference for right or left.  You might not know, but until your brain decides which side is going to be your 'leading' side, it can't take on learning to talk, so he was relatively late in talking.  My eldest daughter was reading proper books by the time she was 4, but youngest was dyslexic and was late in reading and writing, but could play and write music by 5.  My son on the other hand had to be nearly forced to read, but could put engines together long before he was 10.  They are all individual and I hate the fact that we try to force them all to be the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:04 pm

A green for that sassy.
Spot on.

My son took to reading like a duck to water, like he was born to read. My daughter, oddly enough, is really into sums and numbers. She often says to me "I've got four pieces of biscuit mummy, if I eat three I'll have two left!"

It's a game I play with her whilst cooking too.

My son now though, is exceptional at maths. He hated it for years then it suddenly clicked and he steamed ahead. Likewise science - which surprised me as I thought he didn't know why snow melted till he was about 13!! Hahahahahaha

He can't cook for shit though; total idiot

Ring ring: "Mum how do you know when bacon is cooked?"

Rolling Eyes

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:40 pm

LOL!!!!  Er' when it goes black in my grandsons book!

We try to turn them into robots, it's ridiculous.

PS, thanks for the greenie x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:17 pm

sassy wrote:LOL!!!!  Er' when it goes black in my grandsons book!

We try to turn them into robots, it's ridiculous.

PS, thanks for the greenie x

Hahahahahaha burnt bacon? That's hard to achieve lol lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Nah...No one is master of cant cook wont cook...untill they can make burnt boiled egg......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:24 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Nah...No one is master of cant cook wont cook...untill they can make burnt boiled egg......

Well my son, who is now a brilliant cook, tried to do a boiled egg in the microwave and blew the egg up!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:32 pm

My son hates cooking.

My aim is to get him to cook at least three staple meals before he leaves home; a pasta dish, a potato-based dish and a rice or noodle dish.

So far:
A bacon panini
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 pm

pffft...

before I left home i could cook, sew (to the level of making my own clothes if needed, not that I have , but I've lost count of the number of tents I have repaired etc) repair shoes, I could shop...properly, along with all the other things like virtually build, plumb and wire a house from the ground up, work metals , including forge work and casting
work wood, including turnery

and that was BEFORE you also include the o levels and A levels I obtained at school......

so.............

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:46 pm

victorismyhero wrote:pffft...

before I left home i could cook, sew (to the level of making my own clothes if needed, not that I have , but I've lost count of the number of tents I have repaired etc) repair shoes, I could shop...properly, along with all the other things like virtually build, plumb and wire a house from the ground up, work metals , including forge work and casting

and that was BEFORE you also include the o levels and A levels I obtained at school......

so.............

With my son the egg incident was when he was very young.
Funnily enough, he taught himself to be a really good cook and rescues restaurants in trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 pm

so.............

Why didn't I marry you?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 pm

eddie wrote:

so.............

Why didn't I marry you?

You haven't seen his beard lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:00 pm

I like beards.

He hasn't seen mine
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 pm

eddie wrote:I like beards.

He hasn't seen mine

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:11 am

I can do most things round the house except for Gas and Electricity, correction, I could at one time, now it's all I can do to wire a plug!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:48 am

Let children play, let them learn the real things in life... Image32
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down