NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TIME TO LEGALISE?

2 posters

Go down

TIME TO LEGALISE?  Empty TIME TO LEGALISE?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 am

Legalising Cannabis In Britain, Like Uruguay, 'Would Save Millions'

Recent reform victories are reshaping the landscape of the oldest debate in drug policy.

As Uruguay passed historic legislation this week – becoming the first country in the world to make the production, sale and possession of cannabis legal – the debate around the regulation of the drug in the UK has been thrown back into the spotlight.

The debate over the legalisation of cannabis has been moving increasingly from the margins into the political mainstream, with multiple cities, states and countries considering, developing or implementing a range of regulated market models.

Many public figures, including some politicians, are in agreement that fifty years later, the war on drugs has failed – so has the time come for Britain to take the step from prohibition to legalised regulation?

At a time when Britain is facing brutal austerity measure, The Institute For Social And Economic Research recently estimated that a regulated market could reduce the government deficit by up to £1.25bn, whilst producing roughly £400m in "net benefit" for the country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/13/legalise-cannabis-in-britain-would-save-money_n_4438609.html?1387094187&utm_hp_ref=uk

Makes perfect sense to me to do so when we already have alcohol as legal. This would deny many criminals of their income also.

Back to top Go down

TIME TO LEGALISE?  Empty Re: TIME TO LEGALISE?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:19 am

It isn't just about money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 am

PhilDidge wrote:Legalising Cannabis In Britain, Like Uruguay, 'Would Save Millions'

Recent reform victories are reshaping the landscape of the oldest debate in drug policy.

As Uruguay passed historic legislation this week – becoming the first country in the world to make the production, sale and possession of cannabis legal – the debate around the regulation of the drug in the UK has been thrown back into the spotlight.

The debate over the legalisation of cannabis has been moving increasingly from the margins into the political mainstream, with multiple cities, states and countries considering, developing or implementing a range of regulated market models.

Many public figures, including some politicians, are in agreement that fifty years later, the war on drugs has failed – so has the time come for Britain to take the step from prohibition to legalised regulation?

At a time when Britain is facing brutal austerity measure, The Institute For Social And Economic Research recently estimated that a regulated market could reduce the government deficit by up to £1.25bn, whilst producing roughly £400m in "net benefit" for the country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/13/legalise-cannabis-in-britain-would-save-money_n_4438609.html?1387094187&utm_hp_ref=uk

Makes perfect sense to me to do so when we already have alcohol as legal. This would deny many criminals of their income also.

Yup, have to agree with that. Only fools would hand control of the drugs market to the criminals.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:Legalising Cannabis In Britain, Like Uruguay, 'Would Save Millions'

Yup, have to agree with that. Only fools would hand control of the drugs market to the criminals.

TIME TO LEGALISE?  Agree12 Makes perfect sense to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:04 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

TIME TO LEGALISE?  Agree12 Makes perfect sense to me.

Without the drug trade for income I wonder what the criminals would turn to next. There has already been warnings that they are moving moving into the food industry as profits are high and penalties low.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Less money to criminals.
No criminalizing of people who use a 'relatively' harmless drug.
More money for the treasury.

Yep not seeing a problem myself either- we are way behind on this. I don't like it myself (and it smells rank!) but it is pretty widely used by quite a number of people I know and in society as a whole.

Sadly the country is still too conservative I think though, may be a few decades before this becomes a possibility in the UK.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down