NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease?

3 posters

Go down

Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease? Empty Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 am

The first drug that can halt the progression of Alzheimer’s disease if caught early is expected to be unveiled this week. Trials have been ongoing into a new treatment called Solanezumab which appears to stop the degenerative disease in its tracks. The results will be announced by drugs giant Eli Lilly on at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference on Wednesday morning but if positive it will be the first drug proven to be effective for treating dementia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11749641/Have-scientists-found-a-drug-to-stop-Alzheimers-disease.html

Back to top Go down

Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease? Empty Re: Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease?

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 am

An experimental drug with side effects - some people on here won't like that. Cool
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease? Empty Re: Have scientists found a drug to stop Alzheimer's disease?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:23 pm

thicko Rolling Eyes

tell me ragga, were you dropped on your head as a baby?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Hmmm in about two years time they'll take it off the market because it makes you grow another tit or something most likely Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:44 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmm in about two years time they'll take it off the market because it makes you grow another tit or something most likely Rolling Eyes

Take off the market?
A thirt tit would no doubt create a lucrative trade in the medicine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Well as long as its all VOLUNTEERS taking it all's good

of course SOME on here would force people to take it against their wishes....just to save a few pounds on sickness benefits for their greedy masters to stash away. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
eddie wrote:Hmmm in about two years time they'll take it off the market because it makes you grow another tit or something most likely Rolling Eyes

Take off the market?

you only have two hands didge...... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:53 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Take off the market?

you only have two hands didge...... Laughing

Too true.   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:An experimental drug with side effects - some people on here won't like that. Cool

Like who? I think this is fantastic news, Alzheimer's is terrible.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:50 am

victorismyhero wrote:Well as long as its all VOLUNTEERS taking it all's good

of course SOME on here would force people to take it against their wishes....just to save a few pounds on sickness benefits for their greedy masters to stash away. Rolling Eyes

So tell me - why would anyone choose to go down the road of having a degenerative disease like that rather than try a drug which could really help to stop it progressing?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:58 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:An experimental drug with side effects - some people on here won't like that. Cool

Like who? I think this is fantastic news, Alzheimer's is terrible.

Oh, just some people on here who are more concerned with the downside of drugs than the benefits.

Interestingly, the trials of this drug failed at first. It just shows how drug companies can take a big gamble on whether a drug will get approval or not. Time will tell if it really does have any benefits.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-26/deep-in-the-cave-lilly-s-ceo-decided-alzheimer-s-drug-s-fate
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:Well as long as its all VOLUNTEERS taking it all's good

So tell me - why would anyone choose to go down the road of having a degenerative disease like that rather than try a drug which could really help to stop it progressing?
Perhaps, they are commited veggies...who live up to their beliefs, instead of being total hypocrits like some on here who call them selves vegetarians, but wear wool, leather AND worse still use medicines which were tested on animals...

what one might call veggies of convenience.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:42 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Perhaps, they are commited veggies...who live up to their beliefs, instead of being total hypocrits like some on here who call them selves vegetarians, but wear wool, leather AND worse still use medicines which were tested on animals...

I don't think so Victor. Even Linda McCartney took medication.

I don't wear leather by the way, and I'm not very keen on wool.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

In which case she is a hypocrit, doing what she does, not out of any regard for animals but for the financial benefit of herself

so you use artificial fibres and materials ...made from ......oil...very animal friendly indeed.....

you cant win ragga

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:58 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

In which case she is a hypocrit, doing what she does, not out of any regard for animals but for the financial benefit of herself

so you use artificial fibres and materials ...made from ......oil...very animal friendly indeed.....

you cant win ragga

Er .. you mean "was". Linda McCartney died a long time ago. She did have issues with taking medication, but she had cancer, so I think she can be forgiven.

So you won't take biologics - is that because you're concerned about animal testing?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

Er .. you mean "was". Linda McCartney died a long time ago. She did have issues with taking medication, but she had cancer, so I think she can be forgiven.

No...she cant be forgiven....one cannot be a "little bit" hypocritical...If she beleived in what she reckoned to stand for she would not have taken meds..As it was when the chips were down she proved to be nothing more than yet another celeb big mouth hypocrit, prepared to sacrifice her beliefs for herself..

So you won't take biologics - is that because you're concerned about animal testing?

NO....whilst I find it regretable that there is no proper alternative YET I realise that animal testing is vital to the supply of safe drugs so I can live with that aspect,
My objection to the biologics is that they are potentially worse than methotrexate in terms of side effects AND also since they are very new on the market there is still insufficient real life data available on them......

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:13 pm

You probably wouldn't be given biologics for such a mild condition anyway - and without trying methotrexate first. They're quite expensive.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:You probably wouldn't be given biologics for such a mild condition anyway - and without trying methotrexate first. They're quite expensive.

I was offered them...or methotrexate....and refused either....the consultant agreed with me....

Oh and PA is not "mild" it is however very variable and unpredictable....

some days you are ok, others you cant walk, or maybe cant use your hands or maybe cant raise your arms up ....

It kinda "wanders around your body" inflaming joints seemingly at random and for no particular reason.....

that is the worst of it...you dont know from one day to the next if you are going to have a "good day" or not

which is why being self employed (and only needing to be part time on it since i have taken some pensions) suits me well..... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:30 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:You probably wouldn't be given biologics for such a mild condition anyway - and without trying methotrexate first. They're quite expensive.

I was offered them...or methotrexate....and refused either....the consultant agreed with me....

Oh and PA is not "mild"  it is however very variable and unpredictable....

some days you are ok, others you cant walk, or maybe cant use your hands or maybe cant raise your arms up ....

It kinda "wanders around your body" inflaming joints seemingly at random and for no particular reason.....

that is the worst of it...you dont know from one day to the next if you are going to have a "good day" or not

which is why being self employed (and only needing to be part time on it since i have taken some pensions) suits me well..... Laughing

I don't mean the condition itself is mild, just that someone might have it mildly. If you don't have it badly enough to take medication, fair enough.

Biologics are usually second-line treatment after a DMARD has been tried.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:02 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

Oh and PA is not "mild"  it is however very variable and unpredictable....

Victor, it's interesting that some people with psoriasis also get the joint involvement. Do you consider that it's part of the same disease, or do you think that having one autoimmune disease makes someone prone to another one?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down