NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist

+4
Maddog
Original Quill
eddie
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist Empty Here's another thing that's actually quite racist

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:54 pm

When you think of someone being racist, you probably think of someone who looks down on racial minorities, hates them, calls them racial slurs, etc.

Another thing that's actually racist, though, is when someone's mind automatically springs to a racial motive or element whenever something bad happens.

If that's confusing, I'll give an example -- my mother, who tries not to harbor racist beliefs, will still occasionally say something like "Was she black?" if I tell her some woman I called at the bank was rude to me.

In her mind at that moment, people who are rude to you at a bank tend to be black, and she was looking for confirmation of that belief, even though that had nothing to do with the story.

It's the same thing when you hear about a black person being shot by police and immediately assume that it was a racially motivated attack by a white cop. You're showing the same fixation with race -- the same belief that race is a very important thing -- as someone who thinks that a white woman who was raped must have been attacked by a black man.

In short, jumping to any conclusion about the race of people in a story is another thing that's actually quite racist -- whether that's assuming that the good guy/victim OR the bad guy/perpetrator was white, black or whatever, before the details are known, and also by assuming that racism was even a factor in the story before that's known.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

eddie and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist Empty Re: Here's another thing that's actually quite racist

Post by eddie Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 pm

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist 21290810
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist Empty Re: Here's another thing that's actually quite racist

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:When you think of someone being racist, you probably think of someone who looks down on racial minorities, hates them, calls them racial slurs, etc.

Another thing that's actually racist, though, is when someone's mind automatically springs to a racial motive or element whenever something bad happens.

If that's confusing, I'll give an example -- my mother, who tries not to harbor racist beliefs, will still occasionally say something like "Was she black?" if I tell her some woman I called at the bank was rude to me.

In her mind at that moment, people who are rude to you at a bank tend to be black, and she was looking for confirmation of that belief, even though that had nothing to do with the story.

It's the same thing when you hear about a black person being shot by police and immediately assume that it was a racially motivated attack by a white cop. You're showing the same fixation with race -- the same belief that race is a very important thing -- as someone who thinks that a white woman who was raped must have been attacked by a black man.

In short, jumping to any conclusion about the race of people in a story is another thing that's actually quite racist -- whether that's assuming that the good guy/victim OR the bad guy/perpetrator was white, black or whatever, before the details are known, and also by assuming that racism was even a factor in the story before that's known.

No...what you are describing all goes on in one person's head.  Racism goes on collectively in the real world, and it takes root in a culture, not in a single person's head.

Actually, what you describe is just being wrong for a conclusion without causation, or substantiation.  Racism - along with sexism, ethnicism and homophobia - requires a cultural history and pattern to draw upon.  One does things arbitrarily because a whole society holds unfounded beliefs towards a group, and approaches them accordingly (eg, Jim Crow laws).

The Trump phenomenon borders on what you describe.  Trumpsterism is a cult, all around his personality.  But really, even there, his personality connects with several cultural themes - antigovernment, white supremacy and iconoclasm - that plug into cultural themes.

Racism is a cultural pattern, and what you describe is just someone, not drawing upon a cultural phenomenon, but simply not having substantiation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:04 pm

Just for you, Quill. Seems everyone sees you completely differently, to how you see yourself....

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist 0f2a4f10
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

HoratioTarr and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:26 pm

eddie wrote:Just for you, Quill. Seems everyone sees you completely differently, to how you see yourself....

Here's another thing that's actually quite racist 0f2a4f10

WELL...FGS, the site has gone radically right - everybody's vacated that's on the left, and still speaks up - and I'm the only one who sticks around and speaks out.

Politics is fundamental. People like each other/don't like each other, solely on the basis of politics. What's the old fable about going home to Thanksgiving dinner, and meeting up with ole fascist Uncle Ned?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:When you think of someone being racist, you probably think of someone who looks down on racial minorities, hates them, calls them racial slurs, etc.

No...what you are describing all goes on in one person's head.  Racism goes on collectively in the real world, and it takes root in a culture, not in a single person's head.

Actually, what you describe is just being wrong for a conclusion without causation, or substantiation.  Racism - along with sexism, ethnicism and homophobia - requires a cultural history and pattern to draw upon.  One does things arbitrarily because a whole society holds unfounded beliefs towards a group, and approaches them accordingly (eg, Jim Crow laws).

The Trump phenomenon borders on what you describe.  Trumpsterism is a cult, all around his personality.  But really, even there, his personality connects with several cultural themes - antigovernment, white supremacy and iconoclasm - that plug into cultural themes.

Racism is a cultural pattern, and what you describe is just someone, not drawing upon a cultural phenomenon, but simply not having substantiation.

??????????????????????????

That was all-over-the-map gibberish, and I'm not Gibberian.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Didgee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:31 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You need to do some reading in sociology. You're describing one person's mind, and ascribing it to a sociological movement: racism. Simply put, it doesn't fit.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 pm

That's a bias or a micro aggression.

Racism requires you to think one race is actually inferior or superior.

Bias is saying Asians are smarter or black people dance better.

Bias is saying southerners are racist, or the Irish are drunks.

I know it's a fine line, but the line is there.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:55 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

^This is actually a great line.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:53 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You need to do some reading in sociology.  You're describing one person's mind, and ascribing it to a sociological movement: racism.  Simply put, it doesn't fit.

The trouble with you is this: you think you know you’re right. So many tell you that you’re looking at something in the wrong way.
Yet you refuse to listen because you’re too busy talking....

If 100 people tell you that you’re dead, you really should lay down dude.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:50 am

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You need to do some reading in sociology.  You're describing one person's mind, and ascribing it to a sociological movement: racism.  Simply put, it doesn't fit.

The trouble with you is this: you think you know you’re right. So many tell you that you’re looking at something in the wrong way.
Yet you refuse to listen because you’re too busy talking....

If 100 people tell you that you’re dead, you really should lay down dude.

He talks, and talks and talks. It prevents him from seeing another point of view.

He's intelligent but so full of himself.

He's just not worth taking seriously.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am

Great post

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

You need to have a read and watch

https://www.fairforall.org/

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:

quill, when the same thing goes on in so many individual heads, it makes a collective thought, so to speak, no?
that is what culture belief is. many minds but with single thought

You forgot the massive support from the black community. His personality very much connected with them

last paragraph is mere repetition again.

your brain reminds me of a bean bag. all very lovely until pressure is put on it and then it just caves in on itself and collapses

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie, HoratioTarr and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:36 pm

Re the op... Many of the ethnics here are the most racist because they are the first to play the race card about anything and claim it's because they are black/brown/Muslim etc...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm

My PA for the last five years of my career was a highly cultured, well educated and impressively qualified middle aged (am I allowed to say that?) woman from St Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean….by far the best and most effective PA who ever worked for me.

She often came into my office close to tears to confide in me, aged father figure that I was, about the disgusting insults that
men from her own Black community screamed at her in the street and even outside her front door, simply because she had married a white man.

“Whiteys’ meat” and “did you have a white honkey up you last night?” were pretty commonplace and far from being the worst she told me.

Yet to listen to some exponents of BLM and other zealot anti-racist campaigners, one can only be racist if one happens to be white…so at the risk of being “cancelled” (a sanction, the prospect of which troubles me neither a jot nor a tittle) I ask “so just who the hell are REAL racists?”

Ponder this old rhyme: When Adam delved and Eve span; who was then the gentleman?

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm

Fred, I used to date black men and I can tell you, the most racist comments I encountered were from black women.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:47 pm

First thing I have to address -- Trump made slight gains among black voters for a Republican, but he didn't have anything close to a massive black following, and there's evidence to suggest that the black people who did vote for him still thought of him as racist.

The point of my original post is simply that racism is a mindset shared by many people of all colors -- it's the mindset that when people of different races interact, their race is the most important factor in how things turn out.

It's also the mindset that if someone behaves in a particular way, that's mainly because of what color they are.

That goes for the white guy who assumes that a black man is a criminal primarily because he's black (and not, say, the man's criminal history or lack thereof), but it goes just as much for the well-meaning white person who assumes that everything bad that happens to a black person happens mainly because other people are racist.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:15 pm

(Please don’t mention Trump....because that will become the main topic on this thread.... Suspect )
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Re the op... Many of the ethnics here are the most racist because they are the first to play the race card about anything and claim it's because they are black/brown/Muslim etc...

Which is also racist and annoying, agreed. In cases like those, I don't think it's so much that they see race first, as I was talking about in my OP, as much as they've found racism a convenient excuse for any failure, which many people do (including "I didn't get the job because I'm white and they were probably going for a quota hire.").
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:11 pm

There is a lot of racism against whites going on... Especially in the workplace where whites are discriminated against, in favour of others because they are black/brown...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down